Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How has President Trump pissed you off today? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=816812)

kaylasdad99 01-12-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Procrustus (Post 20719558)
Let me be the first to say "what an asshole!"

No one wanted him there, no one wanted him to cut the ribbon. No one wants him to do anything but resign in disgrace.

“No one” is such an inflexible term. I, for one, have been quite vocal about what I want him to do other than resign in disgrace. I want him to die of a vey painful heart attack.

Boycott 01-12-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of a Rich (Post 20719680)
I'd be shocked and disappointed if he did.

Here's a short clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq_t...ature=youtu.be

ThelmaLou 01-12-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsc1953 (Post 20719692)
I'm pleased to see that one of the people in the room, Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill) is on the record saying he said it. I wish he'd also say "the President is a goddam liar if he denies saying it", but we can't have everything.

I'm assuming there were some Republicans in the room when he said it. Are they supporting his denial? Or just staring down at the place where their dicks should be.

Katriona 01-12-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 20719768)
I'm assuming there were some Republicans in the room when he said it. Are they supporting his denial? Or just staring down at the place where their dicks should be.

Pretty sure that's B for $500, Alex...

running coach 01-12-2018 11:29 AM

Must be some of that chain migration from a shithole country.
Visa denials prevented Navy vet's mom from attending his funeral, dad says
Quote:

The father of a U.S. Navy veteran who died of leukemia in December says he is "fuming mad" because his ex-wife was denied a visa to attend their son's funeral.

The father of Ngoc Truong, who served in the Navy for four years before losing his battle with cancer Dec. 17, said his ex-wife, a native of Vietnam, applied for a visa twice, but was denied both times, WREG-TV reported.

"That's what made me fuming mad. Fuming," the father, a resident of Blytheville, Ark., told the Memphis, Tenn., station.

Truong was only 22 when he died. He was planning to study graphic design after leaving the Navy in October, the report said.

The Navy veteran’s father said he wasn’t provided a reason for why his wife was denied a visa.
Trump sure loves him some military, yes he does.

Son of a Rich 01-12-2018 11:50 AM

Trump's supporters will never consider remarks like "shit hole countries" to be unseemly. Trump is just "telling it like it is".

Gatopescado 01-12-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatopescado (Post 20718412)
Shithole!

Now he's trying to deny saying "Shithole". :rolleyes:

This guy is unbelievable!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp

manson1972 01-12-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of a Rich (Post 20719836)
Trump's supporters will never consider remarks like "shit hole countries" to be unseemly. Trump is just "telling it like it is".

This. That is why none of his "base", as everyone puts it, is shocked by this. This is exactly what they expected/wanted. And that is why nothing he says will do anything to harm him.

Elendil's Heir 01-12-2018 12:14 PM

POTUS will now tweet-blast Durbin (who's a good guy and straight shooter, as far as I know) in 3... 2... 1....

elucidator 01-12-2018 12:18 PM

Dastardly Durbin? Disturbin' Durbin. Too clever. Wait! "Dick" Durbin! There ya go!

kenobi 65 01-12-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elucidator (Post 20719913)
Dastardly Durbin? Disturbin' Durbin. Too clever. Wait! "Dick" Durbin! There ya go!

"Dickless Durbin."

"Yes, it's true...this man has no dick."

jsc1953 01-12-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenobi 65 (Post 20719922)
"Dickless Durbin."

"Yes, it's true...this man has no dick."

Too clever. No, he'll do what he always does....fall back on Seven Dwarf Names. Like Sloppy (Steve Bannon) and Sneaky (Dianne Feinstein). Grumpy Dick Durbin?

Defensive Indifference 01-12-2018 12:43 PM

Dummy Dick Durbin, of course. That's about the level of maturity I expect.

Gary Kumquat 01-12-2018 12:52 PM

Not trying to be awkward here, but isn't the whole 2nd amendment thing meant to be about overthrowing a tyrannical government?

"tyrannical
tɪˈranɪk(ə)l,tʌɪˈranɪk(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: tyrannical

exercising power in a cruel or arbitrary way."

And is anyone going to argue that this fucker is not arbitrary? Shouldn't you lot be all loading up and rolling out?

manson1972 01-12-2018 01:02 PM

The only tyrannical government that people will try to overthrow with guns is a government that is trying to take away their guns.

gigi 01-12-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson1972 (Post 20719889)
This. That is why none of his "base", as everyone puts it, is shocked by this. This is exactly what they expected/wanted. And that is why nothing he says will do anything to harm him.

Right. He says the shit they're thinking and sometimes saying. Finally, someone who represents them and isn't afraid to speak out.

k9bfriender 01-12-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigi (Post 20720139)
Right. He says the shit they're thinking and sometimes saying. Finally, someone who represents them and isn't afraid to speak out.

Isn't it time that our port-o-potties were made out of transparent plastic?

Snarky_Kong 01-12-2018 02:05 PM

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nicity-n837181

Trump thinks a hostage expert should negotiate with North Korea because she's of Korean heritage. What an asshole.

Just Asking Questions 01-12-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty (Post 20718890)
Including working for Trump.

Or marrying him.

gigi 01-12-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong (Post 20720172)
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nicity-n837181

Trump thinks a hostage expert should negotiate with North Korea because she's of Korean heritage. What an asshole.

It isn't racist because he said she was pretty! ::barf

bobot 01-12-2018 03:06 PM

Has Sarah Huckabee Sanders spoken yet on Trump's "shithole" comments? I'd love to hear her flat out deny it given Durbin's comments.

Superdude 01-12-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Procrustus (Post 20719547)
And don't forget the pot smoking liberals.

Not to mention negroes and them queer-o-sexuals.

SaneBill 01-12-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of a Rich (Post 20719836)
Trump's supporters will never consider remarks like "shit hole countries" to be unseemly. Trump is just "telling it like it is".

But now he denies saying it. So now they should be asking: does he not think so or is he a cowardly liar ?

But they don't.

Guest-starring: Id! 01-12-2018 11:17 PM

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R. Florida) put in her two cents' worth on President Dead Wombat's "shithole" comment on PBS Newshour tonight, saying it "takes your breath away"..."This is a president who has a sordid, terrible history of making racist statements."

sheesh, impossible...to imagine: (with strumming harps and cotton-clouded skies)....

Um,

CAN WE POSSIBLY GET SOME FUCKING 'PUB ON BOARD, HERE, OTHER THAN A HAITIAN- AND CUBAN-AMERICAN?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobot (Post 20720295)
Has Sarah Huckabee Sanders spoken yet on Trump's "shithole" comments? I'd love to hear her flat out deny it given Durbin's comments.


::arms crossed, finger tapping impatiently against (actually amazingly:rolleyes:cut) bicep::

Surely some *mind-in-the-gutter* ink-stained-wretch media type will have the temerity to assail her with such a fake newsy assault.*

*I wouldn't even listen to SHS now. I've long since stopped listening to преЦАРдент Trump, as well as Ryan, McConnell, Pence, or pretty well most Republicans, with the exception of maybe Lankford if he's talking about bipartisan electoral reform, and maybe one or two others who might happen to tease me with a fleeting moment of lucid, fair-minded, intelligent, honest discourse. The fast forward button is sacrosanct manna. I just let the newscasters succintly distill all that insulting-as-fuck-horsehit-to-listen-to, for me.

Martini Enfield 01-13-2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of a Rich (Post 20719836)
Trump's supporters will never consider remarks like "shit hole countries" to be unseemly. Trump is just "telling it like it is".

I'm not a Trump supporter but in this case I don't think he's wrong. There are shithole countries and while it's undiplomatic to say that when the microphone is on, it's not untrue.

septimus 01-13-2018 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson1972 (Post 20719367)
I'd like to bet that you get no answers to this question. Or the answer will be "I've posted it in many threads, I'm not retelling it here!"

Oh, is this the thread where Starving Artist answers question? Here are three yes/no questions from three months ago that must have slipped his mind ó he did say he'd answer when he had time.
Quote:

Originally Posted by septimus (Post 20549622)
Oh; I apologize, Mr. Artist. I didn't know you voted for Hillary. I guess I should place you with Bricker, then ó as a right-winger smart enough not to like Trump, even though you agree with most of his agenda. Is that right? What made you change your mind? ó Was it when you figured out that everything Trump says is a lie?

Do you mind answering three questions so we can understand your perspective?

1. Recently Trump called the bereaved widow of Sgt. Johnson, while her Congressperson listened. Trump says Johnson and the Rep. are lying; they say he is. Whom do you believe?

2. What's your gut feel about complicity between Putin and a major U.S. campaign? Is it Hillary's team or Trump's that is probably more guilty?

3. Was Trump's early concern about Obama's birthplace legitimate?

Let's just start there. I sincerely want to understand your position.
Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starving Artist (Post 20549683)
I said I didn't vote for Trump; I didn't say I voted for Hillary. (Came this close, but just couldn't pull the trigger.) :p

As for the rest of your post, I don't have time right now neither to go into all that nor all the things that would probably spin off from it because work beckons. Maybe some other time, now that you're being all reasonable and shit. ;)


jsc1953 01-13-2018 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martini Enfield (Post 20721113)
I'm not a Trump supporter but in this case I don't think he's wrong. There are shithole countries and while it's undiplomatic to say that when the microphone is on, it's not untrue.

I donít think anyone would disagree with that sentiment, however inelegantly expressed. The reprehensible part of Trumps statement wasnít the s-word. It was the belief that we should only take immigrants from prosperous white nations.

Starving Artist 01-13-2018 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by septimus (Post 20721123)
Oh, is this the thread where Starving Artist answers question? Here are three yes/no questions from three months ago that must have slipped his mind ó he did say he'd answer when he had time.

Let'sseeifyoucanfigurethisoutIspilledwateronmykeyboardlastnightandnowit'shosed,nospaces,noperiods,no comasandwhoknowswhatelseI'llresmepostingwhenthisoneeitherdriesoutandbecomesworkableorIgetanewoneta-ta

Starving Artist 01-13-2018 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsc1953 (Post 20721134)
I donít think anyone would disagree with that sentiment, however inelegantly expressed. The reprehensible part of Trumps statement wasnít the s-word. It was the belief that we should only take immigrants from prosperous white nations.

HeexpressednoschbeliefThere'sawiderangeofworldottherethatfitsbetweenprosperotsandwhiteandshithole

Guest-starring: Id! 01-13-2018 01:40 AM

Bloody Welshman.

anomalous1 01-13-2018 01:47 AM

I usually try to stay out of this stuff, because opinions are like shitholes (:)) and they don't sway anybody, but here it is anyway;

Legal immigration is fine, illegal is not. That is all.

Legal immigration would be ideal from countries that are not crime riddled, doesn't matter which one. It won't happen because there isn't a way to vet potential citizens without making the P.C. mob go insane. The U.S. doesn't OWE anyone citizenship. Not from Europe, Mexico, S.A., Asia, ANYWHERE.

Letting anyone and everyone in is not a feasible option anymore. It will not work. Legal or Illegal. The politicians are just trying to word things correctly so as not to harm anyone's feelings or keep their elected office, lest they be branded a 'racist' or some other arbitrary term from those who disagree. Whether he did or did not say those things about some countries, doesn't change the fact that it is true. Most of them are shit.

I don't really see what all of the commotion is. Poor word choices that hurt feelings have become more important than actual solutions.

TonySinclair 01-13-2018 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starving Artist (Post 20721138)
Let'sseeifyoucanfigurethisoutIspilledwateronmykeyboardlastnightandnowit'shosed,nospaces,noperiods,no comasandwhoknowswhatelseI'llresmepostingwhenthisoneeitherdriesoutandbecomesworkableorIgetanewoneta-ta

I'm guessing you spilled your "water" as you were reading about Trump talking dirty.

Superdude 01-13-2018 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starving Artist (Post 20721141)
HeexpressednoschbeliefThere'sawiderangeofworldottherethatfitsbetweenprosperotsandwhiteandshithole

Didn't he specifically mention Norwegians, and that we should be trying to get more of them? I don't consider Norway a shithole, but I could be mistaken. And, given Trump's history of not liking non-white people, it's kinda hard to be charitable about his thought process.

Starving Artist 01-13-2018 03:31 AM

TrphasnohistoryofnotlikeingblackpeopleThisisaleftwinginvention

AndyesheentionedNorwaybtinyopinionitwasasanexapleofacleancivilizedcontrywhoseresidentscoldiigrateher eandbeapositiveadditiontothecontryratherthanadetrientIrealizeanyliberalsdon'tgiveadanwhatproblesanii gratingpoplationaybringwiththeherebtostconservativeswantiigrantswhoarenotgoingtobeprobleseconoically orcriinally,whoareedcatedandannerlyandlikelytobeapositiveadditiontothecontryrathertahnaliability

Starving Artist 01-13-2018 03:34 AM

HahlooksliketheshortersentenceshappenwhenIhittheretrnkeyTheydon'tshowpthatwaywhenI'typingtheotAndits eeslikeI'loosingorekeyboardfnctionastiegoresbyratherthanlesnfortnatelythereisnowhereinthelittlebrgwh ereIlivethatcarriesacintoshkeyboardssoI'gonnahavetogointotowntolocateanewoneaybetoorrowThisiskindoff nthogh

Mijin 01-13-2018 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsc1953 (Post 20721134)
I donít think anyone would disagree with that sentiment, however inelegantly expressed.

I disagree with that sentiment for any version of "shithole" I can think of.
Well, I mean we could use that term hyperbolically for failed states or war-torn countries but he applied that tag to all of africa for example.

I think it's interesting because Trump's statement is ignorant, but this time it's based on a flavor of ignorance that's quite common in the US. Even the left-leaning talk shows struggled to explain what was wrong with what he said and focused on the racist implications (which admittedly are terrible).

A lot of americans really do imagine all of africa as essentially desert, with impoverished, uneducated people living in huts. If you showed someone in Africa an iPhone, they'd worship you as a God!

El_Kabong 01-13-2018 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starving Artist (Post 20721138)
Let'sseeifyoucanfigurethisoutIspilledwateronmykeyboardlastnightandnowit'shosed,nospaces,noperiods,no comasandwhoknowswhatelseI'llresmepostingwhenthisoneeitherdriesoutandbecomesworkableorIgetanewoneta-ta

Sonothingbutthelettersandyourshiftkeyworkisthatitnonumbersorpunctuationmarkslikesayahyphenisthatabou trightwowlookslikeyouvegotarealproblemthere

Ohlookthsioneworksforme:rolleyes:

Blank Slate 01-13-2018 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anomalous1 (Post 20721148)
I usually try to stay out of this stuff, because opinions are like shitholes (:)) and they don't sway anybody, but here it is anyway;

Legal immigration is fine, illegal is not. That is all.

Legal immigration would be ideal from countries that are not crime riddled, doesn't matter which one. It won't happen because there isn't a way to vet potential citizens without making the P.C. mob go insane. The U.S. doesn't OWE anyone citizenship. Not from Europe, Mexico, S.A., Asia, ANYWHERE.

Letting anyone and everyone in is not a feasible option anymore. It will not work. Legal or Illegal. The politicians are just trying to word things correctly so as not to harm anyone's feelings or keep their elected office, lest they be branded a 'racist' or some other arbitrary term from those who disagree. Whether he did or did not say those things about some countries, doesn't change the fact that it is true. Most of them are shit.

I don't really see what all of the commotion is. Poor word choices that hurt feelings have become more important than actual solutions.

You're a fucking idiot. This nation was built by people escaping shithole countries.

You don't think there are good people in poor, underdeveloped countries? People striving for a better life? You don't think there is vetting?

And now, thanks to Trump, America is the shithole. Filled with shitheads like you.

Superdude 01-13-2018 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starving Artist (Post 20721183)
TrphasnohistoryofnotlikeingblackpeopleThisisaleftwinginvention

Well, Fortune magazine disagrees with you. As did the New York court system when it was revealed that Trump didn't want to rent apartments to black people.

Or the "Central Park Five," who were exonerated by DNA evidence after spending many years in prison for a crime they didn't commit. Trump has persisted in suggesting that they were guilty, even after the DNA evidence proved that they were not responsible for the crime.

Or his history of not wanting to see black employees in his casinos. There are several articles that detail how he didn't want to see them counting his money.

Hell, here's a collection of Trump's racist remarks and actions, starting from the 1970s, and ending with his "shithole" statement. But I'm sure these never happened. It's all a left-wing invention.

Martini Enfield 01-13-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mijin (Post 20721189)
I disagree with that sentiment for any version of "shithole" I can think of.
Well, I mean we could use that term hyperbolically for failed states or war-torn countries but he applied that tag to all of africa for example.

Not all of Africa is a shithole, but there's certainly quite a few very poor countries most Europeans wouldn't be spending their holidays anywhere near on the continent. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to say.

Mighty_Girl 01-13-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martini Enfield (Post 20721354)
Not all of Africa is a shithole, but there's certainly quite a few very poor countries most Europeans wouldn't be spending their holidays anywhere near on the continent. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to say.

There are parts of America where I couldn't be paid to spend my holidays. From this I conclude that the US is a shithole.

enipla 01-13-2018 09:43 AM

Starving Artist -
If-your-space-bar-is-not-working-use-a-dash-to-make-your-posts-readable.

Siam Sam 01-13-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enipla (Post 20721442)
Starving Artist -
If-your-space-bar-is-not-working-use-a-dash-to-make-your-posts-readable.

Doesn't matter. It's still equally just gibberish. Yet one more Nazi for my Ignore list.

Gatopescado 01-13-2018 12:46 PM

Spilled "water". Yeah........

suranyi 01-13-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martini Enfield (Post 20721113)
I'm not a Trump supporter but in this case I don't think he's wrong. There are shithole countries and while it's undiplomatic to say that when the microphone is on, it's not untrue.

I didn't think this needed to be explained, but the problem with his statement is that it implied that everyone coming from those countries is worthless. For example, doctors of Haitian descent have taken his remarks to mean that they, personally, are shitholes. (There was an article in today's newspaper quoting some to that effect.)

suranyi 01-13-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anomalous1 (Post 20721148)
I usually try to stay out of this stuff, because opinions are like shitholes (:)) and they don't sway anybody, but here it is anyway;

Legal immigration is fine, illegal is not. That is all.

Legal immigration would be ideal from countries that are not crime riddled, doesn't matter which one. It won't happen because there isn't a way to vet potential citizens without making the P.C. mob go insane. The U.S. doesn't OWE anyone citizenship. Not from Europe, Mexico, S.A., Asia, ANYWHERE.

Letting anyone and everyone in is not a feasible option anymore. It will not work. Legal or Illegal. The politicians are just trying to word things correctly so as not to harm anyone's feelings or keep their elected office, lest they be branded a 'racist' or some other arbitrary term from those who disagree. Whether he did or did not say those things about some countries, doesn't change the fact that it is true. Most of them are shit.

I don't really see what all of the commotion is. Poor word choices that hurt feelings have become more important than actual solutions.

The commotion is: When you call their family shit, they get mad. And they probably won't vote for you.

SteveG1 01-13-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starving Artist (Post 20718968)
Have you guys not noticed that the more strident and aggressive and inflexible and hateful you become the worse things go for you?

We learned it from you motherfuckers

SteveG1 01-13-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OttoDaFe (Post 20719337)
"The things I said would have been offensive if I'd actually said them, but since I didn't, they're not."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzuEHHLbx_M

CNN
Published on Jan 13, 2018
SUBSCRIBE 2.6M
After President Trump referred to African countries as "shitholes," President Trump called friends and allies to ask how the comments were playing in the press. One White house official referred to the dial-a-friend sessions as a "victory lap."

SteveG1 01-13-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsc1953 (Post 20719692)
I'm pleased to see that one of the people in the room, Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill) is on the record saying he said it. I wish he'd also say "the President is a goddam liar if he denies saying it", but we can't have everything.

Oh, he'll be called the liar, while the Trumpty Dumpties all yell "FAKE NEWS".

enipla 01-13-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siam Sam (Post 20721478)
Doesn't matter. It's still equally just gibberish. Yet one more Nazi for my Ignore list.

Yes of course. Just pointing out how stupid he is.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.