Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Homecoming: A Film by Beyonce (Coachella documentary) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=875351)

ZipperJJ 05-10-2019 02:13 PM

Homecoming: A Film by Beyonce (Coachella documentary)

I finally had a chance to watch "Homecoming: A Film By Beyonce" on Netflix (it's long, 2 hours 17 minutes) - man was it amazing! (Trailer)

I had seen clips of her 2018 Coachella performance and really liked the clips - I'll admit I'm a marching band/drumline geek - and didn't realize how long the concert was, or even that "Homecoming" featured the entire show. I was super excited that not only was it a cool documentary written by Beyonce herself (so, it had her vibe) but it was about the making of the show with excellent footage of the show taken over the 3 different performances they did, over 3 nights.

Previously I was of the opinion that the 2016 Super Bowl performance with Beyonce and Bruno Mars was one of the best live performances I've ever seen, but this Coachella thing was all that and more! (Sorry Bruno - I love you tho!)

The premise of Beyonce's show (yes, there is a premise) is a celebration of HBCUs, particularly their sorority/fraternity culture, marching bands and dance troupes. She's backed by a massive brass band and drumline, and some amazingly talented dancers. The 90-minute performance touches on her entire catalog as well as a couple songs with Destiny's Child (with an appearance by Kelly & Michelle) and with Jay-Z.

The documentary part is interspersed with performance footage and shows how the performance came together, what it meant for Beyonce and her comeback just months after having twins.

The amount of work that went into these performances is outstanding! The costumes are phenomenal - the costumes change with each performance, and the footage of each song flips between each performance, so for one song you'll see shots of the cast in different costumes (it's a cool effect).

The dancing and music, of course, blew me away.

I'm not actually a huge Beyonce fan - I don't own any of her albums but have bought a few songs here and there. But her performances always seem to catch my eye and get me hyped.

I'd dare to say this particular show, with all of its elements, is the most exciting/best performance I've seen in the 21st century.

If you like Beyonce, even just a little bit, or are a fan of amazing dancing and singing, I highly recommend you check this out!