Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, Trumps: Christmas isn't about America, you pathetic non-religious assholes (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=886228)

Snowboarder Bo 12-02-2019 05:54 PM

Hey, Trumps: Christmas isn't about America, you pathetic non-religious assholes
 
Patriotism is the theme of Christmas at the White House.
Quote:

“It is with great joy that our family welcomes you to the White House this holiday season as we celebrate the Spirit of America,” President Donald Trump, the first lady and their son, Barron, say in the signed introduction to a souvenir book visitors will receive as a holiday keepsake. “We hope you enjoy our tribute to the traditions, customs and history that make our nation great.”
I'm a life-long atheist and even I know that this is blasphemous. Christmas is about the spirit of God (or the son of God, if you prefer), not the spirit of America.

Where is the outrage from Christians about this perversion of their celebration of their God?

Morgyn 12-02-2019 05:58 PM

Well, at least the hallway doesn't look like you're walking through a grove of dead trees this year.

Ukulele Ike 12-02-2019 06:31 PM

I don’t like the looks of those giant spiky things lining the ceiling. Are they only supposed to rake your scalp, or are they rigged to drop on people passing beneath?

Boycott 12-02-2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo (Post 22005095)
Patriotism is the theme of Christmas at the White House.I'm a life-long atheist and even I know that this is blasphemous. Christmas is about the spirit of God (or the son of God, if you prefer), not the spirit of America.

Where is the outrage from Christians about this perversion of their celebration of their God?

They give him a pass for:

- being twice divorced
- being accused of sexual assault by twenty different women
- having an affair with a porn star while his third wife just gave birth to their son
- bragging about grabbing women by their private part
- bragging about walking into underage girls changing rooms at the beauty contests he owned
- making incestuous comments about his daughter
- being unable to actually name a verse from the Bible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERUngQUCsyE
- being sued for discriminatory business practices towards African Americans
- bigotry towards minorities
- telling over 10000 lies in office

I'm not expecting the Christian supporters of him to ever break. They're a cult. A bunch of phonies. The same people who call him anointed by God spent eight years demonising the last president as a Muslim from Kenya trying to destroy America.

Dag Otto 12-02-2019 06:44 PM

I, for one, miss the old Christmas Carols about be best.

Snowboarder Bo 12-02-2019 06:58 PM

Speaking of that...
Quote:

Melania Trump is traveling abroad this week, but it’s not the “Be Best” trip she promised.

The first lady announced in May, on the first anniversary of her “Be Best” youth initiative, that she’d promote the effort this fall on her second solo international trip. She gave no destination and said details were “still coming together.”

But fall is about over and Mrs. Trump hasn’t announced a foreign trip. The White House did not respond to requests for comment on the status of her promised trip.

begbert2 12-02-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo (Post 22005095)
I'm a life-long atheist and even I know that this is blasphemous. Christmas is about the spirit of God (or the son of God, if you prefer), not the spirit of America.

No it ain't. Not that it's about america either, of course - it's really just some pagan thing that Christianity pretty much failed to co-opt and which is now mostly about gifts and family and overweight people in red suits and such.

Steve MB 12-02-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo (Post 22005095)
[url=https://apnews.com/987ea66c53e74586b826842c379a2111]I'm a life-long atheist and even I know that this is blasphemous.

Wouldn't be the first time:

Quote:

A billboard on Interstate 170 near St. Charles Rock Road caught drivers' attention.

A large electronic billboard featuring President Donald Trump with the bible verse, "The word became flesh", could be seen along the southbound lanes of the highway....

Smapti 12-02-2019 08:19 PM

Christmas is the day that God came to Earth in human form.

And as far as Loser Donald is concerned, that's him.

Chisquirrel 12-02-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boycott (Post 22005168)
The same people who call him anointed by God spent eight years demonising the last president as a Muslim from Kenya trying to destroy America.

...while simultaneously attempting to hold him accountable for everything his Christian pastor said in his sermons.

Monty 12-02-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

“It is with great joy that our family welcomes you to the White House this holiday season as we celebrate the Spirit of America,” President Donald Trump, the first lady and their son, Barron, say in the signed introduction to a souvenir book visitors will receive as a holiday keepsake. “We hope you enjoy our tribute to the traditions, customs and history that make our nation great.”

It's a tradition to piss on the constitution of the US? Who knew?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisquirrel (Post 22005442)
...while simultaneously attempting to hold him accountable for everything his Christian pastor said in his sermons.


Yeah, isn't that hilarious? It just shows you how into making sense these morons are.

BigT 12-04-2019 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boycott (Post 22005168)
They give him a pass for:

- being twice divorced
- being accused of sexual assault by twenty different women
- having an affair with a porn star while his third wife just gave birth to their son
- bragging about grabbing women by their private part
- bragging about walking into underage girls changing rooms at the beauty contests he owned
- making incestuous comments about his daughter
- being unable to actually name a verse from the Bible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERUngQUCsyE
- being sued for discriminatory business practices towards African Americans
- bigotry towards minorities
- telling over 10000 lies in office

I'm not expecting the Christian supporters of him to ever break. They're a cult. A bunch of phonies. The same people who call him anointed by God spent eight years demonising the last president as a Muslim from Kenya trying to destroy America.

You forget one.

-saying he's never asked Jesus for forgiveness because he's never needed it.

He flat out said in that that he's not saved, yet they still go on like he's God's choice for President.

(I note that these same people didn't care that Clinton not only went to church but had taught Sunday School.)

Folacin 12-04-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisquirrel (Post 22005442)
...while simultaneously attempting to hold him accountable for everything his Christian pastor said in his sermons.

Since AFAIK Trump never actually attends services, he is safe on that front.

kanicbird 12-04-2019 07:44 AM

God gives the beast authority to rule for a time, and lets people worship him and his image. Blatantly obvious that Trump is a spirit of the antichrist, and one who is waging war on humanity, and our home, the earth.

margin 12-04-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisquirrel (Post 22005442)
...while simultaneously attempting to hold him accountable for everything his Christian pastor said in his sermons.


Yeah, his Pastor who was an Marine during some of the most horrifying periods of time for African-Americans in this country. I think if anybody's to criticize our country, it's a guy who fought for it even while it actively abused him. Where were those "support the troops" assholes about that?

bump 12-04-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boycott (Post 22005168)
I'm not expecting the Christian supporters of him to ever break.

Let's not paint all Christians with the same brush here; you would be more accurate to say "I'm not expecting his ignorant fundamentalist/evangelical Christian supporters of him to ever break."

What they're espousing politically is NOT in line with normal mainstream Christian thought, and could be considered heretical by many established denominations.

Chronos 12-04-2019 10:24 AM

The conservatives who complain about the secularization of Christmas have always been the ones who were doing the secularizing. The rest of us just kept on going to Midnight Mass and ignoring them.

They're just getting more obvious about it now.

BigT 12-04-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bump (Post 22008177)
Let's not paint all Christians with the same brush here; you would be more accurate to say "I'm not expecting his ignorant fundamentalist/evangelical Christian supporters of him to ever break."

What they're espousing politically is NOT in line with normal mainstream Christian thought, and could be considered heretical by many established denominations.

I don't think it is. The post specifically limited itself to "Christian supporters of Trump." Those who care about normal mainstream Christian thought aren't Trump supporters.

Hell, if you actually believe what the Evangelicals and Fundamentalist claim to believe, they wouldn't support Trump. That's part of what pisses me off. These people have been lying to me my whole life about all these values they claim to hold.

At least I maintained some respect when I thought the issue was just differing beliefs.

Machine Elf 12-04-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo (Post 22005095)
Christmas is about the spirit of God (or the son of God, if you prefer), not the spirit of America.

Where is the outrage from Christians about this perversion of their celebration of their God?

Christmas is about Jeezus.

Typo Negative 12-04-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 22008298)
I don't think it is. The post specifically limited itself to "Christian supporters of Trump." Those who care about normal mainstream Christian thought aren't Trump supporters.

No true Scotsman, huh?

Chisquirrel 12-04-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typo Negative (Post 22008364)
No true Scotsman, huh?

To be fair, evangelical Christianity =/= mainline Christianity.

Nava 12-04-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bump (Post 22008177)
Let's not paint all Christians with the same brush here; you would be more accurate to say "I'm not expecting his ignorant fundamentalist/evangelical Christian supporters of him to ever break."

What they're espousing politically is NOT in line with normal mainstream Christian thought, and could be considered heretical by many established denominations.

Anybody who supports that orange piece of diarrhea ought'a be excommunicated.

Annie-Xmas 12-04-2019 01:14 PM

And Trump did refer to white supremacists as "very fine people." Of course, he would think that, as they put him into office.

SteveG1 12-04-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boycott (Post 22005168)
They give him a pass for:

- being twice divorced
- being accused of sexual assault by twenty different women
- having an affair with a porn star while his third wife just gave birth to their son
- bragging about grabbing women by their private part
- bragging about walking into underage girls changing rooms at the beauty contests he owned
- making incestuous comments about his daughter
- being unable to actually name a verse from the Bible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERUngQUCsyE
- being sued for discriminatory business practices towards African Americans
- bigotry towards minorities
- telling over 10000 lies in office

I'm not expecting the Christian supporters of him to ever break. They're a cult. A bunch of phonies. The same people who call him anointed by God spent eight years demonising the last president as a Muslim from Kenya trying to destroy America.

The fuckers are saying he was chosen and anointed by God himself now. They had no credibility before this. now they have even less, as if that were even possible. Bunch of hypocritical phonies.

SteveG1 12-04-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bump (Post 22008177)
Let's not paint all Christians with the same brush here; you would be more accurate to say "I'm not expecting his ignorant fundamentalist/evangelical Christian supporters of him to ever break."

What they're espousing politically is NOT in line with normal mainstream Christian thought, and could be considered heretical by many established denominations.

Sorry, but that time is gone. I'm not interested in parsing or qualifying or specifying or any of that, any more. They, back, him, they can go to hell with him.


Scotsmen, true Scotsmen, no true Scotsmen, what ever.

SteveG1 12-04-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 22008298)
...
Hell, if you actually believe what the Evangelicals and Fundamentalist claim to believe, they wouldn't support Trump. That's part of what pisses me off. These people have been lying to me my whole life about all these values they claim to hold.

At least I maintained some respect when I thought the issue was just differing beliefs.

And THIS. They LIED.

BigT 12-05-2019 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typo Negative (Post 22008364)
No true Scotsman, huh?

Not really. That fallacy is chronically misapplied. It only occurs when someone ignores a counterclaim by changing the definition of their terms.

I'm simply pointing out that the phrase "the Christians supporters of him [Trump]" already inherently excludes the Christians who actually have and hold to beliefs that are antithetical to Trump. So there's no need to further specify by type of Christian.

I'm a Christian, too, but I didn't feel insulted by Boycott's post, because he wasn't talking about me. He was specifically talking about Christians who support Trump.

I Love Me, Vol. I 12-05-2019 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanicbird (Post 22007955)
God gives the beast authority to rule for a time, and lets people worship him and his image.

...And the Lord said, "Psych!"

What a wacky practical jokester that guy is! Must be a riot at parties.

JRDelirious 12-05-2019 08:42 AM

Basically these are Christians for whom the label is really part of an identity shorthand rather than a considered acceptance of a theology (which come to think of it, probably became a major segment of those claiming the name around the same time when kings began converting and expecting all subjects to folow suit or else). A large heap of American Rightwing Evangelical/Fundamentalists truly hold to the belief of America as the New Chosen Nation, and American nationalism being therefore a "christian value".

Annie-Xmas 12-05-2019 09:11 AM

Trump has given me one of my best lines ever: For centuries the only people who had any power in this country were the straight, white, rich Christian men. Aren't you glad we're not being led by a straight, white, rich Christian man today? (Pause for laughter). Wait a minute...

SteveG1 12-09-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanicbird (Post 22007955)
God gives the beast authority to rule for a time, and lets people worship him and his image. Blatantly obvious that Trump is a spirit of the antichrist, and one who is waging war on humanity, and our home, the earth.

Funny. I always thought that to be a credible genuine threat, capable of pulling it off, the AntiChrist would have to have a fucking brain.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.