Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Technology doesn't work that way - SamuelA's Pit Thread (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=843654)

Colibri 01-04-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20702881)
They are the ones ignorant, not me. Someone smart reading my posts would realize that. You are obviously not smart enough, so ignoring.

Many extremely intelligent posters knowledgeable about the subject matter you have posted on have read your posts and come to the conclusion that you are ignorant. In fact, the main thing you have demonstrated here is that you are too ignorant to even understand the depths of your own ignorance. That, and that you have the social skills of a five-year-old.

Sunny Daze 01-04-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnT (Post 20702981)
What was it again...

"I don't know, 'bout anybody else
But when I think of you, I ignore myself"

You're going to have to attack his "science". His computational "knowledge". His "physics". DiVinyls won't do it. :(

Darren Garrison 01-04-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny Daze (Post 20703001)
You're going to have to attack his "science". His computational "knowledge". His "physics". DiVinyls won't do it. :(

Maybe Sam Cooke?

outlierrn 01-04-2018 02:12 PM

When I pit you, ignore me.

When I pit myself, ignore me harder.

andros 01-04-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroutMan (Post 20702999)
You ignore us for a year and a half, then waltz back in, expecting to be promoted to his ignore list just like that? Pay your dues, good sir!

Dammit. You're right.

SamuelA, I apologize. That was unfair of me. I come across as trying too hard sometimes, especially when I'm excited about something. I appreciate your slowing my roll, and you're right--we should take things slow.

You're arrogant and ignorant. Can we at least start there?



Quote:

(And welcome back!)
What up, mang?

JohnT 01-04-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny Daze (Post 20702994)
I can't decide at this point. Is he honestly trying to "ignore" us or is he trying to be funny? Ha, ha - ignored another one!

I honestly think his ignore list is a post-it stuck to his monitor, right below the yellowed password list from 2013.

Darren Garrison 01-04-2018 02:48 PM

Holy crap, while doing an unrelated search I found SamuelA's ignore filter!

Morgenstern 01-04-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Garrison (Post 20703127)
Holy crap, while doing an unrelated search I found SamuelA's ignore filter!

A guy walks into a barber shop, asks "Bob Peters here? " barber replies "Nope. Just cut hair.

SamuelA 01-04-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colibri (Post 20703000)
Many extremely intelligent posters knowledgeable about the subject matter you have posted on have read your posts and come to the conclusion that you are ignorant. In fact, the main thing you have demonstrated here is that you are too ignorant to even understand the depths of your own ignorance. That, and that you have the social skills of a five-year-old.

Social skills don't matter, facts do. Those posters were wrong and I showed them. Posters who blithely dismiss signal processing theory, for example. Or posters who admit I was right about nuclear chain of command, and then just say they don't care. You know, those guys.

The fact that you can't tell who's correct means you lack the ability to differentiate. I mean, you did read the posts in question, right? You didn't just jump to your conclusion that I have to be the ignorant one based on a hunch, right? You did properly research it, didn't you....

I see no effort that you have. Just "oh you're all wrong, I haven't actually read your posts or if I did, I went by tone and not content". That's what I am hearing, which is why I'd add you to ignore if I could, because you deserve it.

Reality doesn't care if you made the right primate signals. Reality uses laws, and those laws are the same independent of observer.

SamuelA 01-04-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andros (Post 20703097)
You're arrogant and ignorant. Can we at least start there?

So you've reached this conclusion based on...? If you supported it, I'd pay attention. If you just blithely declared this without a reason, I'm going to conclude it means "ooga booga other primates are against this primate, thus I'm gonna throw rocks too". Which would be ignore worthy behavior.

Czarcasm 01-04-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703174)
So you've reached this conclusion based on...?

Your ignorance and your arrogance.

Morgenstern 01-04-2018 03:10 PM

SamuelA
This message is hidden because SamuelA is on your ignore list.


SamuelA
This message is hidden because SamuelA is on your ignore list.


SamuelA
This message is hidden because SamuelA is on your ignore list.


SamuelA
This message is hidden because SamuelA is on your ignore list.


SamuelA
This message is hidden because SamuelA is on your ignore list.


SamuelA
This message is hidden because SamuelA is on your ignore list.


SamuelA
This message is hidden because SamuelA is on your ignore list.


That's what this thread looks like with fuckferret on your ignore list.

JohnT 01-04-2018 03:27 PM

"Social skills don't matter"

LOL. That is literally the most incorrect thing you said in this thread, Sams. And *that* is impressive.

Colibri 01-04-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703174)
So you've reached this conclusion based on...?

Your posts.

SamuelA 01-04-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colibri (Post 20703237)
Your posts.

You're a liar and it's embarrassing that someone trusts you enough to moderate this message board.

SamuelA 01-04-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnT (Post 20703232)
"Social skills don't matter"

LOL. That is literally the most incorrect thing you said in this thread, Sams. And *that* is impressive.

You willfully failed to read the next 3 paragraphs, which establish conditionally when social skills don't matter. You've tripped my threshold for ignore.

JohnT 01-04-2018 03:34 PM

Yes! Take that, Troutman! :p

TroutMan 01-04-2018 03:45 PM

Welcome to the club! Tripler had the goat, last I saw.

Darren Garrison 01-04-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703247)
You're a liar and it's embarrassing that someone trusts you enough to moderate this message board.

Well, he is a real bird brain.

Telemark 01-04-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroutMan (Post 20703284)
Welcome to the club! Tripler had the goat, last I saw.

The goat fled inland early this morning. All we have now is a marmoset and an echidna with some sort of sneezing disorder.

andros 01-04-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarcasm (Post 20703181)
Your ignorance and your arrogance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colibri (Post 20703237)
Your posts.

I mean...



SamuelA, you realize anyone with an interest and an hour to burn can read your words, right? I don't know you, I have nothing against you. You're obviously not stupid. You just come across as, well, arrogant and ignorant.

Those aren't bad things per se. At least, not individually. Together they just get in each other's way. Your arrogance will not allow you to acknowledge the areas in which you are ignorant, and your ignorance keeps you from being willing (or able) to recognize your arrogance.

Again, that's an opinion based on your words.

You're flailing right now, hammering on the ignore button and meeting insult with insult. I get that--I've literally known the BBQ Pit for over 17 years. But if you flame out, get yourself banned, have a meltdown, whatever...well, you're going to miss out on a lot of collected knowledge. And you're going to miss out on being able to include your considerable experience and knowledge into that pool.

IOW, you can pull out of this tailspin. I've seen it.

Ready to put me on ignore yet? Or are you interested in discussing it?

Morgenstern 01-04-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andros (Post 20703341)
..

Ready to put me on ignore yet? Or are you interested in discussing it?

Many have tried. Many have failed. He already has all the answers.

andros 01-04-2018 04:06 PM

:sigh: I know.

I just drop in, yanno? And I see this big ol' windmill, yanno?

Czarcasm 01-04-2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andros (Post 20703360)
:sigh: I know.

I just drop in, yanno? And I see this big ol' windmill, yanno?

It's not the size of your lance that matters-It's how you tip it.

Darren Garrison 01-04-2018 04:13 PM

Isn't big ol' "Windmill" Yanno a sumo wrestler?

SamuelA 01-04-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andros (Post 20703341)
I mean...



SamuelA, you realize anyone with an interest and an hour to burn can read your words, right? I don't know you, I have nothing against you. You're obviously not stupid. You just come across as, well, arrogant and ignorant.

Those aren't bad things per se. At least, not individually. Together they just get in each other's way. Your arrogance will not allow you to acknowledge the areas in which you are ignorant, and your ignorance keeps you from being willing (or able) to recognize your arrogance.

Again, that's an opinion based on your words.

You're flailing right now, hammering on the ignore button and meeting insult with insult. I get that--I've literally known the BBQ Pit for over 17 years. But if you flame out, get yourself banned, have a meltdown, whatever...well, you're going to miss out on a lot of collected knowledge. And you're going to miss out on being able to include your considerable experience and knowledge into that pool.

IOW, you can pull out of this tailspin. I've seen it.

Ready to put me on ignore yet? Or are you interested in discussing it?

Of course I'm interested in discussion. I have not ignored a single poster who was willing to discuss. 100% of my ignores, they just were like "hurr durr you're a moron, cuz I say so". Tripler was willing to discuss, but then he ignored me, so vice versa.

What comes across as "ignorant". Cite it specifically.

This in fact angers me because when you claim that someone else is an outright moron, after they just wrote a couple thousand words carefully explaining something, you're the one who's ignorant. And I have over 10 names now who claim to be here to "fight ignorance" who did this to me.

Even Colibri, who was supposed to have been selected for decorum or, well, something, just made the blanket statement that "all your posts are ignorant, you're a moron" with no cites or discussion.

wolfpup 01-04-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703160)
Those posters were wrong and I showed them.

(emphasis mine.)

Yep, he showed 'em, alright. He showed them all! The fools! All of them! Says the genius who specializes in speaking per rectum and by now has practically the whole board on ignore. :D

BTW, the way to tell if SamuelA was actually ever right about anything is that he wouldn't be able to stop crowing about it. Like the way he started a grandstanding thread in GQ when he mistakenly thought he had a great gotcha against Stranger On A Train related to an argument they were having in an entirely different thread, only to have his ass handed to him. Or the way he excitedly posted a link to Wikipedia here that he thought vindicated his argument about what "computation" meant in CS, which turned out to just reinforce how wrong he was. He was just preening himself after that post and opening up the Great Sphincter to begin pontificating in earnest when I pointed out that he didn't fucking understand what he had just posted because it was, in fact, contradicting him.

Oh, what the fuck, it's even simpler than that. If you want to know if SamuelA is right about something, look for flying pigs. As someone else pointed out quite astutely, SamuelA is so arrogantly full of himself that every single thing he says is suspect, because he refuses to acknowledge that someone else might know more than he does, and to learn from that, so he develops his own ideas of how the world works and sticks to them like glue.

Skywatcher 01-04-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpup (Post 20703404)
Oh, what the fuck, it's even simpler than that. If you want to know if SamuelA is right about something, look for flying pigs. As someone else pointed out quite astutely, SamuelA is so arrogantly full of himself that every single thing he says is suspect, because he refuses to acknowledge that someone else might know more than he does, and to learn from that, so he develops his own ideas of how the world works and sticks to them like glue.

Ladies and gentlemen! The next President of the United States!
:D

Colibri 01-04-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703247)
You're a liar and it's embarrassing that someone trusts you enough to moderate this message board.

SamuelA, we've seen literally hundreds of posters like you on this board. They come and they go, almost never lasting very long. Arrogant and ignorant, they refuse to learn anything from their time here.

I often wonder what motivates posters like you. Despite all the silly bloviating, you must realize that the only thing you're doing here is making yourself a laughingstock. Why do you do it?

SamuelA 01-04-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colibri (Post 20703433)
SamuelA, we've seen literally hundreds of posters like you on this board. They come and they go, almost never lasting very long. Arrogant and ignorant, they refuse to learn anything from their time here.

I often wonder what motivates posters like you. Despite all the silly bloviating, you must realize that the only thing you're doing here is making yourself a laughingstock. Why do you do it?

Again, you haven't read my posts, you're making blanket generalizations, and you don't deserve to be a moderator. Unlike those "hundreds of others", my stuff is correct, I do learn things, and the only people laughing, I have on ignore.

Czarcasm 01-04-2018 04:44 PM

Not going to bother any more. A jar of rancid piss doesn't turn into Country Time lemonade no matter how many times you take a sip.

Morgenstern 01-04-2018 04:49 PM

Okay, Caine Mutiny flashback. Humphrey Bogart, as Capt. Queeg. Queeg is on the witness stand, Jose Ferrer is cross examining him and;

Queeg, nervously reaching in his pocket responds to a question with;

"Those posters were wrong and I showed them."

and

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703442)
... Unlike those "hundreds of others", my stuff is correct, I do learn things, ...


Battle fatigue.

andros 01-04-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703379)
Of course I'm interested in discussion.

Doesn't look like it. Looks like you're interested in being right.

Quote:

What comes across as "ignorant". Cite it specifically.
That's a mug's game, and I'm not sure I wish to play it. Anything I offer has already been offered, and you haven't heard it. If I point out something that indicates ignorance, I'm afraid you will rules-lawyer it. Not helpful.

But if you're truly interested, you might start with the vast and exciting field of cognitive science. I highly recommend Daniel Kahneman's Thinking, Fast and Slow. I'm sure we'll agree that cogsci is an area of ignorance for you, right?

Quote:

This in fact angers me because when you claim that someone else is an outright moron, after they just wrote a couple thousand words carefully explaining something, you're the one who's ignorant. And I have over 10 names now who claim to be here to "fight ignorance" who did this to me.
I totally get being angry at the thought of wasting time and energy and keystrokes on people who are just going to dismiss it. But...what if it was actually flawed? What if--bear with me, just a thought experiment here--what if those thousands of words were not entirely accurate? Or correct?

What if the gaps in your knowledge--gaps of the sort we all possess--resulted in your writing thousands of words of unnecessary explanation when you were actually operating under flawed assumptions?

Possible?


Quote:

Colibri, who was supposed to have been selected for decorum or, well, something
Something. Definitely something. :D

Sunny Daze 01-04-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarcasm (Post 20703455)
Not going to bother any more. A jar of rancid piss doesn't turn into Country Time lemonade no matter how many times you take a sip.

Well, the Shags thread is still going and that one probably does involve urine somewhere.

Back in this thread, claims such as only the ignored are laughing at him still keep me amused.

I wish you luck andros, but I don't even know where you start.

Colibri 01-04-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703442)
Again, you haven't read my posts,

Yes I have, and those who have been debating with you.

Quote:

you're making blanket generalizations,
No, I am making a summary statement based on overwhelming evidence.

Quote:

and you don't deserve to be a moderator.
Deserves got nothing to do with it.

Quote:

Unlike those "hundreds of others", my stuff is correct,
It's been repeatedly demonstrated to be false.

Quote:

I do learn things,
You haven't provided any evidence of this.

Quote:

and the only people laughing, I have on ignore.
You benighted child, everyone is laughing at you, including me (who you can't ignore).

By the way, putting people on ignore because they disagree with you is one of the most childish things you can do here, and one of the reasons people are laughing at you.

Colibri 01-04-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andros (Post 20703490)
Something. Definitely something. :D

Actually, I was selected for my fanatical devotion to the Pope.

SamuelA 01-04-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andros (Post 20703490)
That's a mug's game, and I'm not sure I wish to play it. Anything I offer has already been offered, and you haven't heard it. If I point out something that indicates ignorance, I'm afraid you will rules-lawyer it. Not helpful.

But if you're truly interested, you might start with the vast and exciting field of cognitive science. I highly recommend Daniel Kahneman's Thinking, Fast and Slow. I'm sure we'll agree that cogsci is an area of ignorance for you, right?

I totally get being angry at the thought of wasting time and energy and keystrokes on people who are just going to dismiss it. But...what if it was actually flawed? What if--bear with me, just a thought experiment here--what if those thousands of words were not entirely accurate? Or correct?

What if the gaps in your knowledge--gaps of the sort we all possess--resulted in your writing thousands of words of unnecessary explanation when you were actually operating under flawed assumptions?

Post or shut up. I won't rules lawyer it, but so far you've yet to show my "ignorance" in even a single post. How about you find 3 paragraphs out of everything I wrote, that seem really ignorant, and post them.

Yes...but if you were going to dismiss something because it was wrong and you were knowledgeable enough to express why, you'd give a coherent, rational reason why. It doesn't need to be thousands of words, but it does need to make sense.

The other posters have not done that. Instead of going by emotion, a smart person would read the posts. And then express a reasoned answer.

Colibri 01-04-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarcasm (Post 20703455)
Not going to bother any more. A jar of rancid piss doesn't turn into Country Time lemonade no matter how many times you take a sip.

Have you tested this empirically?:dubious:

andros 01-04-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colibri (Post 20703507)
Actually, I was selected for my fanatical devotion to the Pope.

Those are two important reasons.

SamuelA 01-04-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colibri (Post 20703503)
Yes I have, and those who have been debating with you.



No, I am making a summary statement based on overwhelming evidence.



Deserves got nothing to do with it.



It's been repeatedly demonstrated to be false.



You haven't provided any evidence of this.



You benighted child, everyone is laughing at you, including me (who you can't ignore).

By the way, putting people on ignore because they disagree with you is one of the most childish things you can do here, and one of the reasons people are laughing at you.

So prove it. Post 3 posts that have been "repeatedly demonstrated" to be false, and in your own words, explain why the available scientific evidence says it's false. Oh, and also, don't pick something I admitted was false already on, I am not infalliable.

I think you're a liar and haven't actually read anything. You have no evidence at all, or you'd have just posted it.

Darren Garrison 01-04-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colibri (Post 20703516)
Have you tested this empirically?:dubious:

I used to drink a lot of Country Time (canned, not the powder) but I'm willing to entertain the possibility that the difference is minimal.

Chimera 01-04-2018 05:27 PM

Or a really fine wine?

SPOILER:
If you've never watched the show, the bottle is full of Baldrick's urine

Colibri 01-04-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703531)
So prove it. Post 3 posts that have been "repeatedly demonstrated" to be false, and in your own words, explain why the available scientific evidence says it's false. Oh, and also, don't pick something I admitted was false already on, I am not infalliable.

I think you're a liar and haven't actually read anything. You have no evidence at all, or you'd have just posted it.

Life's too short to argue with idiots. Even when you win, all you've done is win an argument with an idiot.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain

andros 01-04-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703512)
Post or shut up. I won't rules lawyer it, but so far you've yet to show my "ignorance" in even a single post. How about you find 3 paragraphs out of everything I wrote, that seem really ignorant, and post them.

Yes...but if you were going to dismiss something because it was wrong and you were knowledgeable enough to express why, you'd give a coherent, rational reason why. It doesn't need to be thousands of words, but it does need to make sense.

The other posters have not done that. Instead of going by emotion, a smart person would read the posts. And then express a reasoned answer.

So...that would be a "no," then? You are not willing to consider that any of the challenges to your posts have any merit? Or that cognitive science is an area of ignorance for you?

How about the computational model of mind? Any room for ignorance there?

(You realize that I in no way consider "ignorant" to be an insult, right?)

wolfpup 01-04-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703442)
my stuff is correct,

Your stuff is wrong.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703442)
I do learn things,

You very obviously do not.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703442)
and the only people laughing, I have on ignore.

That would be virtually the whole board.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703512)
How about you find 3 paragraphs out of everything I wrote, that seem really ignorant, and post them.

Just for starters -- there so many listed here that anyone can just take their pick -- it's a veritable Litany of Ignorance:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...&postcount=435
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...&postcount=486

Of course, he claims to have me on ignore, so he won't have seen them.

I should also say to the disinterested reader that by the time things got to this point, he had really thoroughly pissed me off, as he does to just about everyone. So yes, these are insulting, though I tried to make them humorous and entertaining for the benefit of others. They are also factual. With SamuelA, facts are inherently insulting anyway even if courteously presented, because someone has dared to contradict him. The last straw that got him to put me on ignore was when I pointed out that he was incorrectly referencing "neuroscience" when we were talking about cognitive science.

SamuelA 01-04-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colibri (Post 20703564)
Life's too short to argue with idiots. Even when you win, all you've done is win an argument with an idiot.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain

So you're a liar, then. That's what the evidence is telling me. You've been called on your bullshit, and now you hide behind a Mark Twain quote.

SamuelA 01-04-2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andros (Post 20703566)
So...that would be a "no," then? You are not willing to consider that any of the challenges to your posts have any merit? Or that cognitive science is an area of ignorance for you?

How about the computational model of mind? Any room for ignorance there?

(You realize that I in no way consider "ignorant" to be an insult, right?)

There's tons of stuff I don't know. I'm talking about a claim I made that is false. I don't claim to know more than the low level neuroscience and some of how we're tackling these problems efficiently in machine learning. I don't claim to know more than that the evidence says we can actually emulate the human brain at a low level. I specifically note that the cognitive science may be muddled about how the brain functions, but this does in no way stop you from copying it, in the same way that a CD-burner's firmware can copy a disk while knowing nothing about the complexity of the software on the disk.

Colibri has claimed I made false claims, and hasn't bothered to cite a single one, just "it's all ignorant". You have done the same.

Making a sweeping claim without referencing even what you're claiming is ignorant. Colibri's post, that I just cited, is heavily ignorant.

I don't claim that all of Colibri's posts are ignorant, but the ones he made this hour are. And I'm saying that the evidence tells me he's a liar.

Which hypothesis is more likely :

a. Colibri read each of my posts carefully, checking wikipedia and other sources when he hit an idea he didn't know, and noted down "true or false" for each claim I actually made.

b. Colibri read the "majority opinion" of the posters ignorant enough to post in a Pit thread and decided the majority "can't be wrong".

I say the evidence overwhelmingly points to (b). Which makes him a liar, because he claims (a).

JohnT 01-04-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703576)
So you're a liar, then. That's what the evidence is telling me. You've been called on your bullshit, and now you hide behind a Mark Twain quote.

Naw, you're just a young idiot.

andros 01-04-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703586)
There's tons of stuff I don't know. I'm talking about a claim I made that is false.

I'm not speaking to truth or falsehood. I'm talking about ignorance and arrogance. And, more broadly, how one presents one's self to others.

Quote:

I don't claim to know...
But you've certainly come across that way. You present as very, very certain. As entirely right, despite rational challenge, despite your own acknowledged ignorance, despite flaws. You come across as entirely unwilling to listen to anyone else unless they agree with you in toto.

Quote:

Colibri has claimed I made false claims, and hasn't bothered to cite a single one, just "it's all ignorant". You have done the same.
No. I have not.

I did not claim you made false claims, and I did not ever dismiss your words as "all ignorant."

Quote:

Making a sweeping claim without referencing even what you're claiming is ignorant.
Not so much, actually. Redefining ignorance in this way is not useful except to reinforce your already extant beliefs.


Quote:

Which hypothesis is more likely :

a. Colibri read each of my posts carefully, checking wikipedia and other sources when he hit an idea he didn't know, and noted down "true or false" for each claim I actually made.

b. Colibri read the "majority opinion" of the posters ignorant enough to post in a Pit thread and decided the majority "can't be wrong".
Neither is likely to be accurate. Are you open to the possibility that other options exist?
.

wolfpup 01-04-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelA (Post 20703586)
There's tons of stuff I don't know. I'm talking about a claim I made that is false. I don't claim to know more than the low level neuroscience and some of how we're tackling these problems efficiently in machine learning. I don't claim to know more than that the evidence says we can actually emulate the human brain at a low level. I specifically note that the cognitive science may be muddled about how the brain functions, but this does in no way stop you from copying it, in the same way that a CD-burner's firmware can copy a disk while knowing nothing about the complexity of the software on the disk.

For the record, this is what Tripler has accurately characterized as "deflection". None of the things mentioned -- not one -- were the subject of the discussions in which SamuelA's ignorance was so blatantly exposed. Just like no one even mentioned neuroscience until SamuelA brought it up, though no one knows why. Seems like just a word he pulled out of his ass.

Also for the record, andros and Colibri who both just recently joined the discussion, are already being attacked. One possibility is that the entire board is populated by ignoramuses and is being moderated by an ignoramus and a liar. The other possibility is that SamuelA is an arrogant asshole who was blatantly wrong about virtually everything he posted, and is either too blinded by narcissism and arrogance to see it, or too stupid to understand it, despite the enumerated evidence. It's one or the other. It's not a complicated question, really.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.