Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bill Cosby interview: I am not guilty and not remorseful (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=885950)

Annie-Xmas 11-26-2019 12:03 PM

Bill Cosby interview: I am not guilty and not remorseful
 
CNN story here

Quote:

In his first interview since he was sentenced to prison for sexual assault, comedian Bill Cosby said he doesn't expect to express remorse when it comes time for his parole.
"I have eight years and nine months left," Cosby said, according to an article by National Newspaper Publishers Association's BlackPressUSA.com. "When I come up for parole, they're not going to hear me say that I have remorse. I was there. I don't care what group of people come along and talk about this when they weren't there. They don't know."
So Cosby expects to be released from prison when he is 90 years old. Okay.

What an asshole.

Gyrate 11-26-2019 12:21 PM

Perhaps he'll pull an OJ Simpson and declare that he's going to spend his time trying to find the real person who drugged and raped all those women he was with.

Typo Negative 11-26-2019 12:27 PM

People who claim innocence cannot be remorseful.

Just saying....

Atamasama 11-26-2019 12:28 PM

To be fair, I guess its better than to say, Im guilty but not remorseful.

On the other hand, everyone including the legal system and he himself know that hes guilty, so I guess he kind of is saying that.

drad dog 11-26-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gyrate (Post 21995116)
Perhaps he'll pull an OJ Simpson and declare that he's going to spend his time trying to find the real person who drugged and raped all those women he was with.

When he drugged them he didn't rape, and when he raped it was some unknown perpetrator who drugged them. Drugging and raping are two separate things and this witch hunt must end.

crowmanyclouds 11-26-2019 02:16 PM

Red's speech to the parole board in Shawshank Redemption does not represent reality Mr Cosby.

CMC fnord!

QuickSilver 11-26-2019 02:20 PM

Have a Coke and shut the fuck up, Bill.

kayaker 11-26-2019 02:40 PM

Yo, Bill. If I was in prison and they served pudding, I'd skip it.

Thudlow Boink 11-26-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typo Negative (Post 21995128)
People who claim innocence cannot be remorseful.

Just saying....

I understand your point, but, in general, it's possible to claim that you are legally innocent of the charge(s) of which you were convicted without claiming that you have done nothing (morally) wrong, and vice versa.

carnivorousplant 11-26-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickSilver (Post 21995378)
Have a Coke and shut the fuck up, Bill.

:)

Annie-Xmas 12-11-2019 10:18 AM

Update: Cosby loses appeal.

Quote:

In response to the court ruling, a spokesman for the actor repeated the attacks that Cosby’s wife and handlers have long made on the judicial system. Cosby has called himself a political prisoner in the mold of Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King Jr.

“This isn’t about justice,” spokesman Andrew Wyatt said Tuesday in a statement. “This is a political scheme to destroy America’s Dad.”

Cosby maintains his innocence, he said, and still hopes to prevail at the state Supreme Court.
May I add: Cosby is a loser with no appeal.

CaptMurdock 12-11-2019 11:24 AM

A "political prisoner"?? What possible political advantage is there in putting Bill Cosby in jail? The man NEVER was involved in politics, AFAICR. Hell, his staunch neutrality on the Vietnam War caused a long-running feud with Tommy Smothers.

This makes no sense to me. YMMV.

Euphonious Polemic 12-11-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptMurdock (Post 22020922)
A "political prisoner"?? What possible political advantage is there in putting Bill Cosby in jail? The man NEVER was involved in politics, AFAICR. Hell, his staunch neutrality on the Vietnam War caused a long-running feud with Tommy Smothers.

This makes no sense to me. YMMV.

You're right. It makes no sense. Why would a guilty man make an argument like this that makes no sense? So he must be innocent!

It's the Chewbacca Defense.

carnivorousplant 12-11-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic (Post 22020933)
You're right. It makes no sense. Why would a guilty man make an argument like this that makes no sense? So he must be innocent!

It's the Chewbacca Defense.

Chewbacca Defense? Would you elaborate?

Typo Negative 12-11-2019 01:14 PM

Chewbaca!

Typo Negative 12-11-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptMurdock (Post 22020922)
A "political prisoner"?? What possible political advantage is there in putting Bill Cosby in jail?

Because he's a strong black man. And THE MAN cannot handle a strong black man, so THE MAN has to take him down!!!!

Or something like that....
Quote:

Camille said in the statement, sent to USA TODAY by Cosby's spokesperson Andrew Wyatt, that the judge "tried to turn Bill Cosby into one of the most insidious stereotypes of African American men."

Now, after more than 50 years of work, that humanized the dehumanized; which also challenged the perpetual architects of racist, exploitive and greedy maneuvers that have enabled them to divide and conquer my husband has been severely redefined by Judge ONeill, despite having zero proof.

Skywatcher 12-11-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic (Post 22020933)
You're right. It makes no sense. Why would a guilty man make an argument like this that makes no sense? So he must be innocent!

It's the Chewbacca Defense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnivorousplant (Post 22021158)
Chewbacca Defense? Would you elaborate?

Trey Parker and Matt Stone's parody of the OJ trial.

CaptMurdock 12-11-2019 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Camille Cosby:
Quote:

Now, after more than 50 years of work, that humanized the dehumanized; which also challenged the perpetual architects of racist, exploitive and greedy maneuvers that have enabled them to divide and conquer
When did he do THAT? I remember him being a stand-up comedian and sometime actor. :dubious:

Spiderman 12-11-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptMurdock (Post 22020922)
A "political prisoner"?? What possible political advantage is there in putting Bill Cosby in jail?

The whole case even came up again because of the election for DA & "Me Too".

Back when the complaint was first filed, about 10 years before he was arrested the then-DA declined to prosecute citing lack of evidence. There should have been a non-prosecution letter but the then-DA didn't have it in his files & Cosby's then-lawyer is long dead. The agreement to not prosecute is why he testified in the civil case, which also was supposedly under seal. Civil cases are routinely postponed until after criminal cases are completed as otherwise the defendant wouldn't testify as that testimony could be used against them in the criminal trial.
Leading up to the election, the then-DA (who was running again) stated in an on-the-record interview that he reviewed the case many years ago & declined to prosecute as there was not sufficient evidence & that by agreeing to not prosecute it opened the way for Cos to testify in the civil case. His recollection seem correct given that Cos did testify in that civil case.
The political aspect of this is that the current DA did a case of "takebacksies" & that the sealed testimony was leaked & then allowed to be used against him.


Do I think he did it? Probably. Do I think he should have been prosecuted given the agreement that supposedly happened years ago? No way.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.