Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Please don't give me ________ for Christmas (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=886096)

DummyGladHands 11-29-2019 12:54 AM

Please don't give me ________ for Christmas

Framed pictures of your kids. I'm not Granny, I'm just an aunt, your kids are OK, but I am not hanging pictures of them in my house, I don't have room and if you give me framed (cheaply framed) photos every year, they go right in the trash.

Jewelry. Ever notice I don't wear jewelry any more? I don't work, I don't dress up. I wear nice studs in my ears to keep them open, but that's it. (Wish I could get my SO to notice this)

Re-gifts. Seriously?? Who the fuck gives someone a full bottle of Peppermint Schnapps?? Ever see me drink schnapps?? Or a little bookbag thing with the name of some company I never heard of on it??

Call me Scrooge, but if you want to give me an Xmas present, please pay attention to who I am? I have liked 1 present in the past 3 years, which was a card letting me know someone had made a donation in my name to one of my charities.

Bah Humbug

kaylasdad99 11-29-2019 01:39 AM

Would you have any use for a pair of dummygladgloves?

Beckdawrek 11-29-2019 01:48 AM

Clothing of any kind. I'm tactile challenged. I only wear things that feel good to me. I'm sorry if what feels good to me is not what feels good to you. My sisters, who have known me my whole life can't be bothered to notice this. But hey, go ahead and put that gift reciept in there. That gift will be cash the week after Christmas(:))

Spoons 11-29-2019 02:16 AM

Gift cards to the local bookstore. Yes, I love books; but honestly, I have more books than shelves. The gift cards to the bookstore do nothing more than pile up.

An Ikea gift card would be much more useful, as it would let me purchase additional bookshelves.

Tim R. Mortiss 11-29-2019 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DummyGladHands (Post 21999634)
.......I have liked 1 present in the past 3 years, which was a card letting me know someone had made a donation in my name to one of my charities.

Bah Humbug

George Costanza:
"He got me a piece of paper saying 'I've given your gift to someone else!' Don't you see how wrong that is?!"

Novelty Bobble 11-29-2019 03:02 AM

anything.

ftg 11-29-2019 09:24 AM

Clothes, media (books, DVDs, etc.), gift cards for anything other than Amazon or eBay.

Shoeless 11-29-2019 09:35 AM

Clothes, mostly. My wife and stepdaughter both try to dress me like a 20-something metrosexual. I'm in my fifties and wear jeans and flannel shirts, dammit! I don't want your slim-cut shirts that I can barely get buttoned, or the skin tight sweater to wear over it. You might as well donate it directly to Goodwill or Salvation Army, 'cuz you're never going to see me wearing it.

Skywatcher 11-29-2019 09:52 AM

I currently have no restrictions. My standing order when I was little: no dolls, not even those things called "action figures". I have seven sisters and would borrow theirs on the rare occasion when I felt like playing with a doll.

FairyChatMom 11-29-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble (Post 21999714)
anything.

My answer also. I've tried my darndest to get my sibs to quit with gifting. We're all in our 50s and 60s - well beyond needing anything, and since we mostly see each other maybe 4 times a year, we don't really know each other that well any more. Spoil your kids and your grandkids and spare me. Thanks ever so...

Chefguy 11-29-2019 09:57 AM

It took me years of getting coffee mugs and useless knickknacks to finally convince my kids not to send any more of that crap. I gave a large cardboard box full of mugs and ceramic sea captains (don't ask) to Goodwill about ten years ago.

Czarcasm 11-29-2019 10:23 AM

Clothes: You will never get the right size, let alone the right style.
Gift cards to stores that are not in my area, and this goes double for AMC Cinema cards because the theater chain in my part of the country is Regal.
Puzzles, 2D and 3D.

monstro 11-29-2019 10:27 AM

My mother loves to buy me stuff that I don't like. I try to hide my dislike, but I think she senses my disappointment because she'll launch into a sales pitch to convince me it's a good gift.

"These ill-fitting elastic waisted jeans adorned with sequins and rhinestones that I picked up at Walmart in the old ladies' section go with EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING like this faux-leather, cougar-print vest that I picked up at Steinmart. And I also got you these zebra-print patent-leather boots from Big Lots to make the outfit complete. YOU ARE GOING TO BE SHARP, GIRL."

I know she knows these gifts don't bowl me over with excitement. But every year it is the same.

SanVito 11-29-2019 10:42 AM

Stocking filler books entitled '100 things to do instead of staring at your iphone' or 'the world's best political cartoons'.

Anything from the 'gift' section of any store.

Any clothing connected to slouching around at home - cutesy socks with dogs on them, slippers, robes, pyjamas, onesies, hoodies, 'athwear'. I don't do any of that shit.

DVDs/CDs - seriously, have you not got Spotify/Netflix yet?

Endorsing the OPs request for nil family photos. I have a (large, naked) photo of my baby god daughter that I have to remember to retrieve out of the drawer every time my friend comes over. Said child is now 8, when do I get to stop?

Czarcasm 11-29-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanVito (Post 22000007)
I have a (large, naked) photo of my baby god daughter that I have to remember to retrieve out of the drawer every time my friend comes over. Said child is now 8, when do I get to stop?

It could be worse-said relative could give you an updated photograph every year.

snowthx 11-29-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

anything.

I was going to say "presents", but I like this better.

My MIL feels the need to give us all gifts each year, at Thanksgiving (tree ornaments, every year) and for Christmas. The Xmas presents are always what she thinks we will all like, so it gives a good window on what she thinks about all of us. My son has not liked toy cars, and my daughter has not liked horses, and I have not gone fishing in years, yet cards and gifts still reflect these things. It shows that she has not stayed in touch with us enough to know what's going on in our lives. What else can you do by smile and say 'thanks' and then afterward look for a way to get rid of this stuff.

Actually, serious question, with time still on the clock, how can I tell her NOT to provide me gifts this year? I don't think I can deny her getting her grandkids gifts, but what are the right words to say "Please do not get me anything this year" without overly offending?

Czarcasm 11-29-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowthx (Post 22000034)
Actually, serious question, with time still on the clock, how can I tell her NOT to provide me gifts this year? I don't think I can deny her getting her grandkids gifts, but what are the right words to say "Please do not get me anything this year" without overly offending?

Convince her to donate money or a gift in your name to a local charity, then tell people about her generosity to reinforce the act.

Gatopescado 11-29-2019 11:30 AM

Gold Lame Boxer Shorts

Czarcasm 11-29-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatopescado (Post 22000055)
Gold Lame Boxer Shorts

That's pretty lame, alright.

glee 11-29-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarcasm (Post 22000051)
Convince her to donate money or a gift in your name to a local charity, then tell people about her generosity to reinforce the act.

I agree with this. You don't want to start an argument and giving to charity at Xmas is very appropriate!

I was tricky to buy for when I was young.
I was in my own little world of chess, books (mainly sci-fi and detective stories.)
One elderly relative bought me a book on 'how to learn chess'. I know she meant well, but I was playing in the British Chess Championship at the time. :smack:

Johnny L.A. 11-29-2019 11:44 AM

Ebola. Please don't give me ebola for Christmas.

Treppenwitz 11-29-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

anything.

Yep, I'm with you too. If I want something the chances are I've already bought it for myself. And I'm just not good at looking and sounding grateful for something I don't want and will never use.

OK, I'll grant one exception - a whiskey that I am not familiar with. That's it.

j

snfaulkner 11-29-2019 11:51 AM

Another "anything" here. If you see something at any time of year that you know id like, sure, get it. Ill probably appreciate it. But don't do because of the stupid bullshit holiday says you have to. And certainly don't expect anything from me.

Personal 11-29-2019 12:23 PM

What I really want is for you to bring a box for me to fill up with stuff for you to take home with you.

Paintcharge 11-29-2019 12:46 PM

Stop Giving Me Crap for Christmas

VOW 11-29-2019 01:02 PM

Luggage. Suitcases. Specialty boxes with handles. PLEASE! There is a REASON why we don't have any!

We've done the whole suitcases business, we were an Army family, and we did suitcases for years and years. We finally got rid of the damned things. And we do NOT want any more. Grocery tote bags work fine for us now. Really.

And we're too old to give a damn about "how it looks."

~VOW

SpoilerVirgin 11-29-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Any clothing connected to slouching around at home - cutesy socks with dogs on them, slippers, robes, pyjamas, onesies, hoodies, 'athwear'. I don't do any of that shit.

Okay, I promise I won't get you any of that stuff, but I have to ask, what do you wear when you are lounging around at home? Nothing? Or do you just spend all your time engaged in activities and never lounge around at all?

I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to gifts - I'll accept anything, but if you give me chocolate or coffee, it's going to be passed on to someone who can use it.

purplehorseshoe 11-29-2019 04:34 PM

Those boxed sets of scented lotion/body wash/shampoo. Tends to be re-gifted.

I don't like most artificial fragrances and really don't want to go around smelling that shit on my own skin for hours.

Look, I understand these are the usual gift choice for "woman I don't know" which is why I'll re-gift ... to some chick I don't know well, either. Eventually.

Cazzle 11-29-2019 04:54 PM

Stuff. Stuff for the sake of stuff. I just don't need stuff. Get me a consumable if you don't know what to get me, but stop drowning me in stuff.

Clothes, and here I'm talking to you, Mum. You just pick random sizes! Thanks for the size 10 shirt, the size 16 underpants and the size 26 PJs. Goodwill will love them!

VOW 11-29-2019 05:31 PM

I'll add that foo-foo smelling stuff in "gift sets." I cannot wear cologne any more, and steering my cart down the laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store makes my lungs hurt.

I don't want candles, either.

I WILL take the chocolate and coffee that SpoilerVirgin doesn't want! ;)

~VOW

nearwildheaven 11-29-2019 06:48 PM

I don't want candles, and I can buy my own hand location.

Nava 11-29-2019 07:53 PM

Clothing, specially clothing that's completely different from anything I usually wear. You're not allowed to turn Christmas into an intervention on my wardrobe.

Perfume you're expecting me to wear. I'll use it as alcohol to clean sticker marks.

Easter swag. Giving cups decorated with Easter bunnies for Christmas to the widow and the spinster was a particularly "WTF? Is she actually this rude, or actually this ignorant?" moment. Then again, the last time she got a bit too much alcohol was at the baptism of our common Nephew-by-Adoption and she slurred at me (the aforementioned spinster) that "y'ain't a real woman unless y'v given birth," so she's definitely as sensitive as the fingernails of a dead elephant...

minor7flat5 11-29-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Endorsing the OPs request for nil family photos. I have a (large, naked) photo of my baby god daughter that I have to remember to retrieve out of the drawer every time my friend comes over. Said child is now 8, when do I get to stop?

I have a firm belief that proper manners requires one to display a gift prominently when the giver is visiting *once*.
From that point forward, there are no strings attached.

Seriously, life is too short to worry about hurting feelings by not keeping a gift displayed for 20 years, and who are you fooling anyway--they do the same thing with decorative gifts they receive.

I regularly remind my wife of this. Once the person has seen their gift in view in our home, it is eligible for retirement any time she feels like changing things up a bit.

Personal 11-29-2019 08:37 PM

Sounds like there should be a post-Christmas SDMB gift swap.

dalej42 11-29-2019 09:05 PM

Chocolate. It can be easily regifted, but I just don’t have a sweet tooth any longer.

DummyGladHands 11-29-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Personal (Post 22000733)

Send your address and you can have an unopened bottle of schnapps

VOW 11-29-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DummyGladHands (Post 22000781)
Send your address and you can have an unopened bottle of schnapps

Send the scnapps to DorkVader. He's been having sinus problems!

~VOW

River Hippie 11-29-2019 11:20 PM

A gift card for the local brothel. Same thing, year after year. They are so sick of me.

RioRico 11-29-2019 11:58 PM

My adult daughter apparently forgot she gave me the same quaint but useless retro-punk box thingy twice. I don't need another this Xmas, thanks baby.

I have enough mandolins at the moment. No more Native American language courses either, please. Nor adorable pets.

Books by right-wing political shits (but I repeat myself) will be shredded to mulch our toxic plants garden. I'll donate lefty books to the county library.

I've needed no neckties since 1987.

Tim R. Mortiss 11-30-2019 01:52 AM

Chocolate and coffee are gratefully accepted at my house. So is anything with alcohol in it. Other than that, no thanks, I'm good.

Die Capacitrix 11-30-2019 03:44 AM

Coffee that we can't get here, good.

Everything else, I'd rather they give to a favorite charity. Doesn't even have to be my favorite, it can be their favorite as well.

Postage costs keep going higher, so the postage cost to gift worth ratio is rather high. I'm fine if the charity gets all the money.

Bear_Nenno 11-30-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoons (Post 21999698)
Gift cards to the local bookstore. Yes, I love books; but honestly, I have more books than shelves. The gift cards to the bookstore do nothing more than pile up.

An Ikea gift card would be much more useful, as it would let me purchase additional bookshelves.

A gift card to the shelf store, then?

VOW 11-30-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Personal (Post 22000733)

Actually, we should all meet at a landfill, and just heave our crap into the void, together.

Then all go out for a drink together.

~VOW

campp 11-30-2019 10:16 AM

Anything. I don't want or need anything.

Hari Seldon 11-30-2019 11:22 AM

Oi Vey! So much kop drey I save by being Jewish. We give little things to children/grandchildren when young (and of course expect nothing in return) and never exchange gifts with another adult. My daughter sends home-made biscotti to her in-laws and gets something like a box of chocolates.

Personal 11-30-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOW (Post 22001352)
Actually, we should all meet at a landfill, and just heave our crap into the void, together.

~VOW

That's getting pretty close to the quarry.

BrickBat 11-30-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

I don't know...

If it's something I like, I'd much rather have a "hard" copy, single or box set of a series, of something rather than in virtual streaming. It'll always be there and won't be subject to the whims of the provider as far as availability goes. Then there is the ease of using rewind or fast forward without pissing off the streaming and locking it up.

Broomstick 11-30-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Yes, I have Netflix. I still live having some things on DVD - both for the extras you sometimes get and also because I will always have it and it will always be available to me.

Hold on to your hate - I also still have vinyl LPs and a turntable. And yes, I use them.

Filbert 11-30-2019 12:59 PM

Soap.

I have severe eczema. I can't use the damn stuff, but I got given a selection of fancy scented soaps by my mother something like 6 years in a row.

kaylasdad99 11-30-2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glee (Post 22000070)
I agree with this. You don't want to start an argument and giving to charity at Xmas is very appropriate!

I was tricky to buy for when I was young.
I was in my own little world of chess, books (mainly sci-fi and detective stories.)
One elderly relative bought me a book on 'how to learn chess'. I know she meant well, but I was playing in the British Chess Championship at the time. :smack:

Bless her heart. Would such an item served well as a ďhow to teach someone else to play chessĒ?

kaylasdad99 11-30-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe (Post 22000458)
Those boxed sets of scented lotion/body wash/shampoo. Tends to be re-gifted.

I don't like most artificial fragrances and really don't want to go around smelling that shit on my own skin for hours.

Look, I understand these are the usual gift choice for "woman I don't know" which is why I'll re-gift ... to some chick I don't know well, either. Eventually.

I won a gift basket of such things at my nieceís baby shower in April. I might gift it to kaylasfriend as a thank-you for dog-sitting in early November while kaylasmom was in the skilled nursing facility.

VOW 11-30-2019 01:18 PM

I'm getting up a carload to head to the landfill. Since we're headed to SCal reaaly soon, I also want to just empty the refrigerator and be OH SO DONE with Thanksgiving!

~VOW

FairyChatMom 11-30-2019 01:22 PM

For a while there, my MIL was always giving me kitchen gadgets. Remember the Salad Shooter? Or the hand-held blender wand thingy? yeah.

One that I eventually came to love, tho, is the rotisserie. It sat unused for ages - too big for any of my cabinets, and I had limited counter space. I was ready to toss it, and my spousal unit said "Why not just give it a try?" And I did. And I love it greatly.

Fortunately, that was the last appliance she ever gave me. In fact, we pretty much convinced that whole side of the family to quit gift-giving, and we resorted to white elephant or $10 Bad Santa games, and it was a lot less stress and a lot more fun.

My one sister, on the other hand, goes to a dollar store every year and gives us ornaments, despite me telling her every year for the last 15 that we don't do a tree and we don't decorate. The ornaments end up at the thrift store. And I expect we'll get more this year. She just doesn't listen.

Acsenray 11-30-2019 01:26 PM

Please don’t give me anything that isn’t consumable (like food, cash, or gift cards) that you don’t know for sure that I want.

No cute knickknacks, no fancy health or beauty products, no souvenir dishwater or drinkware. Please no goddam clothing items. ... I’m sure I’ll think of more.

Die Capacitrix 12-01-2019 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOW (Post 22001352)

~VOW

Why throw it in the landfill, when there could be FIRE?

Yesterday my mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas. And then told me that they are telling people to not buy things for them because they don't need more stuff. Really?

It's too early to drink here.

LLCoolL 12-01-2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

anything.

Yup, this.

Almost everything I want, I already have. And whatever's left that I still want, I'd rather pick it out for myself, thank you very much.

I guess I'll take an Amazon gift card.....

carnut 12-01-2019 10:05 PM

All I want for Christmas is a job. But the SIL insists on stupid, useless gifts such as moisturizer from TJMaxx. Seriously, don't buy me that crap.

Infovore 12-01-2019 11:44 PM

Short answer: add me to the "anything" column. Pretty much if I want something, I buy it for myself.

Longer answers:

1. Anything related to one of my interests, unless you know me very well. Chances are if you can find it, I've either already got it or don't want it (for example, Doctor Who stuff--there's a ton of it out there, and I'm interested in a very small subset of it).

2. "Gifts for Her." I am the world's biggest tomboy. I can probably count on one hand the number of things designed for the typical woman that I'd be even vaguely interested in, and have fingers left over. Don't get me perfume, bath sets, anything frilly, jewelry, etc. I guarantee you I won't use it.

Seriously, just don't waste your money on me. I promise I won't resent not getting a gift. Fortunately, my spouse's family has pretty much given up on everything but token gifts (like candy--yum!) for the adult members, and unfortunately both my parents are gone so it's not an issue anymore.

MissTake 12-02-2019 08:38 AM

Our family trades names for gifting. We write up a wish list, put the list in a hat and draw. I am always very specific - what I would like (color/size/scent whatever), where it's available, and even a model number if available. I will email my Amazon wish list.
If my nephew/niece/daughter/her boyfriend get my name all is good.
But if my sister/brother-in-law/mother get my name? When my brother-in-law drew my name a few years ago, I received two wall calendars. I don't use wall calendars. I realized the freebie one hanging on my fridge was still on July just a few days ago. If my sister draws my name and doesn't want to go to a specialty store, and she won't buy anything online, she'll buy what she thinks is "close enough". And my mom? Bless her heart.

Acsenray 12-02-2019 09:44 AM

No cutesy novelty gifts, no picture frames, no decorative bowls, no vases, no decorative anything that has to take ip space on a flat surface.

Zyada 12-02-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acsenray (Post 22001617)
Please donít give me anything that isnít consumable (like food, cash, or gift cards) that you donít know for sure that I want.

No cute knickknacks, no fancy health or beauty products, no souvenir dishwater or drinkware. Please no goddam clothing items. ... Iím sure Iíll think of more.

Emphasis mine...

Man, they'll sell anything at tourist traps, won't they?

Acsenray 12-02-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zyada (Post 22004480)
Emphasis mine...

Man, they'll sell anything at tourist traps, won't they?

Damn autocorrect didn't believe that "dishware" is a word.

Zyada 12-02-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acsenray (Post 22004499)
Damn autocorrect didn't believe that "dishware" is a word.

I knew that's what happened. But the joke was right there...

BrickBat 12-02-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infovore (Post 22003770)
Short answer: add me to the "anything" column. Pretty much if I want something, I buy it for myself.

Longer answers:

1. Anything related to one of my interests, unless you know me very well. Chances are if you can find it, I've either already got it or don't want it

You nailed it. Thank you, thank you, thank you for stating what has always been the biggest banes of my gift receiving existence. Most people have come around to proper thinking, but my mother still persists in wanting to give me the most inanely generic "stuff" as to my hobbies/avocations.

It was once pointed out to her ( by my father ) that a gift certificate to an automotive restoration parts supplier ( that caters to my specific make/model ) would be a great gift idea for me, but that she nixed giving money or gift certificates as "too impersonal", and then proceeds to buy silly generic automotive accessories from 'Pep Boys' and the like.

Same with movies or music. She'll get me some schlocky blockbuster-ey DVD even though I'm much more "deep" than the mouth breathers that eat up Hollywood schlock.

Icarus 12-02-2019 04:30 PM

Anything. Really, can we just skip the whole thing this year?

I expect I will get gifts from: Sister, Niece, Kid 1, Kid 2, family friend, and spouse. Mostly they will be token inexpensive gifts (a book, clever socks, etc.) That's okay.

But my spouse is the problem. They suffer from being very spendy. It is torture for me to open a pile of expensive gifts from them knowing I will have to figure out how to pay the credit card bill at the end of the month. I have expressed this to them to no avail. Yes, we put the "fun" in dis-fun-ctional!

VOW 12-02-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarus (Post 22004974)
*snip* It is torture for me to open a pile of expensive gifts from them knowing I will have to figure out how to pay the credit card bill at the end of the month. I have expressed this to them to no avail. Yes, we put the "fun" in dis-fun-ctional!

OHGAWD.

This happened to me about 35 years ago. My heart is pounding, just remembering the occasion!

Mr VOW comes in Christmas morning with a big ass box, and an even bigger shit-eating grin to go with it. I was HORRIFIED!

I opened the box to find a TV. I started to cry. "How are we going to PAY for this?" I sobbed.

His grin got even bigger. I was circling the drain of despair.

"I called the credit card company and got an increase in our credit line!"

Worse Christmas of my life. And the thing is, he fully EXPECTED me to cry and to get upset!

And yes, we're still married. 45 years last June.

~VOW

SanVito 12-03-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin (Post 22000345)
Okay, I promise I won't get you any of that stuff, but I have to ask, what do you wear when you are lounging around at home? Nothing? Or do you just spend all your time engaged in activities and never lounge around at all?.

Oh, I lounge. But I also get dressed. I sleep naked, so my only 'bedroom/lounge' wear is a robe I put on to make coffee in the morning. Otherwise I'm up and dressed - jeans and casual tops, sure. But proper, 'could go outside/answer the front door' clothing.

I don't feel comfortable in slouchy stuff. I realise that's a bit freaky.

Motorgirl 12-03-2019 12:46 PM

Non-consumables. I have too much stuff. If I can't eat it, drink it, burn it, or otherwise use it up I do not want it!!