Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Japan and South Korea moving south at an alarming rate. (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=881657)

kambuckta 09-07-2019 07:33 PM

Japan and South Korea moving south at an alarming rate.

It's not just a drift, they're moving faster than a tsunami.

Looks like some Americans might need a geography lesson, as poor old New Zealand is again mistaken for somewhere else. :D

Aspenglow 09-07-2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kambuckta (Post 21847210)
It's not just a drift, they're moving faster than a tsunami.

Looks like some Americans might need a geography lesson, as poor old New Zealand is again mistaken for somewhere else. :D

:smack: Gawd, we're embarrassing.

Jackmannii 09-07-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kambuckta (Post 21847210)
Looks like some Americans might need a geography lesson

It was the American bureau of a Russian TV news channel that screwed up.

kambuckta 09-07-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackmannii (Post 21847256)
It was the American bureau of a Russian TV news channel that screwed up.

Yes, an AMERICAN bureau.

Jackmannii 09-07-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kambuckta (Post 21847265)
Yes, an AMERICAN bureau.

So, if the Melbourne bureau of the New York Times made a major gaffe, we could laugh at how stupid Australians are?

Seriously, do you think Americans are in charge of an American bureau of the Russian RT news channel?

kambuckta 09-07-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackmannii (Post 21847289)
So, if the Melbourne bureau of the New York Times made a major gaffe, we could laugh at how stupid Australians are?

Yep, and Australians would be at the head of the queue taking the piss out of our own stupidity. :D

Quote:

Seriously, do you think Americans are in charge of an American bureau of the Russian RT news channel?
They certainly would be in charge of such things as providing maps. Seriously, would you think otherwise? :dubious:

Sage Rat 09-07-2019 08:44 PM

In Soviet Russia, countries are where Soviet Russia says countries are.

Doesn't quite work as a Yakov Smirnoff joke but it's the best I could figure out.

Jackmannii 09-07-2019 08:58 PM

It's amusing that kambuckta assumes that news organizations automatically turn over the running of their foreign bureaus to the locals. It's even more hilarious that kambuckta believes that the Russians would allow Americans access to their news operations.

Given the state of relations between the U.S. and Russia, I'd be surprised if the Russian RT news channel's operation in the U.S. even permitted an American to empty the trash.

Chronos 09-07-2019 09:09 PM

So, can we laugh at the atrociously poor writing in the Guardian article, too? They make two different references to the New Zealand PR campaign that look like they forgot to remove the first one when they edited in the second, and they say that a map-shaped pile of chicken nuggets subscribes to Reddit.

Johnny L.A. 09-07-2019 09:14 PM

Russia Today sending out fake news? Say it ain't so!

Little Nemo 09-07-2019 09:21 PM

If things had gone a little different at Coral Sea, this might have been accurate.

Aspidistra 09-07-2019 11:30 PM

I feel like most Russians probably know where Japan is, in the same way that most Americans probably know where Mexico is.

Most.

kambuckta 09-08-2019 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackmannii (Post 21847324)
It's amusing that kambuckta assumes that news organizations automatically turn over the running of their foreign bureaus to the locals. It's even more hilarious that kambuckta believes that the Russians would allow Americans access to their news operations.

Given the state of relations between the U.S. and Russia, I'd be surprised if the Russian RT news channel's operation in the U.S. even permitted an American to empty the trash.

It's even more amusing that Jackmannii has his knickers in a twist about what was intended as a light-hearted jab at the US. Poor old NZ gets left off maps completely far too often, but this article, showing Japan in NZ and South Korea in Papua New Guinea was too delicious to ignore.

This is MPSIMS. If I really wanted to roast the US and their lack of geographical knowledge outside their own country, I would have put this in the Pit.

TL/dr, lighten up Francis.

jz78817 09-08-2019 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kambuckta (Post 21847591)
It's even more amusing that Jackmannii has his knickers in a twist about what was intended as a light-hearted jab at the US. Poor old NZ gets left off maps completely far too often, but this article, showing Japan in NZ and South Korea in Papua New Guinea was too delicious to ignore.

This is MPSIMS. If I really wanted to roast the US and their lack of geographical knowledge outside their own country, I would have put this in the Pit.

TL/dr, lighten up Francis.

How about we stop being so eager to rush and grab every opportunity to point and laugh at each other about how stupid we are? These “lighthearted jabs” are repetitive, tedious, tiring, and not funny.

kambuckta 09-08-2019 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jz78817 (Post 21847607)
These “lighthearted jabs” are.....not funny.

Yes, they are funny. That is the whole point of the freakin' article FFS. It IS fucken funny that NZ was mis-labelled as Japan and PNG as South Korea regardless of who was responsible. That it was the US, which is notorious for the average Jose being unable to name many countries outside their borders ('specially in the southern hemisphere) is just a bit of extra icing on the Funny Cake.

Jesus, are you all so precious that you can't poke fun at yourselves sometimes? God help you.

:cool:

Bear_Nenno 09-08-2019 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kambuckta (Post 21847613)

Jesus, are you all so precious that you can't poke fun at yourselves sometimes? God help you.

:cool:

Do you seriously not understand how this has absolutely nothing at all to do with Americans? We're not "so precious", it's just that you non sequitur joke blaming Americans for a Russian news report is stupid. Instead of admitting that you mistook a Russian news broadcast about Americans for an actual broadcast by Americans. When your error was pointed out to you, instead of saying "oooops", you double downed and blamed our poor sense of humor instead of your lack of reading comprehension.

Bear_Nenno 09-08-2019 04:11 AM

American bureau of the Russian news agency is not an office located in America and staffed by Americans. Its a group of Russians dedicated to reporting on the activity of the American government. In this case, they were reporting on our missile bases. Are you so precious that you can't admit your joke failed to be relevant to your target victims?

Filbert 09-08-2019 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno (Post 21847622)
Do you seriously not understand how this has absolutely nothing at all to do with Americans? We're not "so precious", it's just that you non sequitur joke blaming Americans for a Russian news report is stupid. Instead of admitting that you mistook a Russian news broadcast about Americans for an actual broadcast by Americans. When your error was pointed out to you, instead of saying "oooops", you double downed and blamed our poor sense of humor instead of your lack of reading comprehension.

Of course, that's why it's written in Cyrillic!

Or, it's produced in the US, and is about Russia as the link says.

ETA;some dippy intern grabbed the wrong map. It happens. It's not some huge deal to get defensive about, but why would a Russian map be in English?

blue infinity 09-08-2019 04:39 AM

RT America

Quote:

RT America broadcasts from its studios in Washington, DC.
Did you people even look at the article? Is this girl a Russian? Are the map labels in Cyrillic? :rolleyes:

Bear_Nenno 09-08-2019 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filbert (Post 21847631)
Of course, that's why it's written in Cyrillic!

Or, it's produced in the US, and is about Russia as the link says.

ETA;some dippy intern grabbed the wrong map. It happens. It's not some huge deal to get defensive about, but why would a Russian map be in English?

It is not "about Russia". The link says, "about potential new missile bases in “Japan, South Korea and Australia”. Do you think Russia is planning on putting missile bases in those countries?? The news report is about America.

Quote:

Did you people even look at the article? Is this girl a Russian? Are the map labels in Cyrillic?
RT is intended for a wide audience. It is in English in order to give a Russian perspective to current events. Do you really think it is controlled by Americans because they hire US anchors?

Bear_Nenno 09-08-2019 05:14 AM

Though I admit that I was surprised to read that the anchor, "Ashlee Banks" is American. Sounds like a made up name ( it's Will Smith's cousin's name from the 90s sitcom). I expected her to be from somewhere else, but her background information on a few sites list her as African American or American. Her linked in page claims she speaks Arabic as well as English. So who knows what the whole truth is. I admit that there are probably more Americans working for RT than I'd expect. But it certainly can't be considered a "US" news agency.

Bear_Nenno 09-08-2019 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue infinity (Post 21847634)
RT America

Quote:

RT America broadcasts from its studios in Washington, DC.
Did you people even look at the article? Is this girl a Russian? Are the map labels in Cyrillic? :rolleyes:

Al Jazeera used to have bureaus in 12 US cities. And they'd broadcast stories in English for a wide audience. That doesn't make them a US news agency. And I wouldn't attribute gaffes made by their US offices to American staffers. That's just odd.

I dunno. There may have been the potential for a joke in the OP. Maybe if he said something like, "The Russians over at RT have been in America so long, they're starting to forget geography" or something like that...

blue infinity 09-08-2019 05:27 AM

It's a Russian news agency, with a branch in Washington. Producing English language content aimed at American audiences.

And staffed mostly by locals, including some dumbass intern who doesn't know Japan from New Zealand.

kambuckta 09-08-2019 05:27 AM

I give up. The joke wasn't primarily on the US you humourless fucksticks. It was on the invisibility of New Zealand, as my link amply demonstrated.

That it was a US agency fucking up with their geography was just by the by. But the reactions in this thread reinforce the stupidity of Americans....and their lack of self-awareness to be able to laugh at gaffes.

Bear_Nenno 09-08-2019 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kambuckta (Post 21847648)
But the reactions in this thread reinforce the stupidity of Americans....and their lack of self-awareness to be able to laugh at gaffes.

Or possibly, you're just not funny. Sometimes the joke just doesn't land. But go ahead and call us all fucksticks (I guess that's allowed now?) and blame your lack of comedic delivery on the "stupidity" of Americans.

Bear_Nenno 09-08-2019 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue infinity (Post 21847647)
It's a Russian news agency, with a branch in Washington. Producing English language content aimed at American audiences.

And staffed mostly by locals, including some dumbass intern who doesn't know Japan from New Zealand.

I can mostly agree with this.

kambuckta 09-08-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno (Post 21847650)
I can mostly agree with this.

So you're pedalling back from your earlier comments? Good to hear.

:rolleyes:

Bear_Nenno 09-08-2019 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kambuckta (Post 21847654)
So you're pedalling back from your earlier comments? Good to hear.

:rolleyes:

Why is it that every time a person on this board admits to an error, people call it "back pedalling"?? That's not the first time. It is at least the third time in the past month. The point of this board is to fight ignorance, yet any time a person admits to a partial error, they are attacked as "back pedalling". That's fucking stupid.

I admitted a few posts up that there are more locals working for RT than I had expected, and admitted that I was surprised to see "Ashlee Banks" is the real name of a real American who just happens to work for a Russian news agency.
Blue infinity refines and restates his position and I confirm that I am mostly in agreement. And you call that "back pedalling"?? What the hell is wrong with you?

Bear_Nenno 09-08-2019 06:20 AM

I guess admitting to one's errors is not a well respected concept in your opinion? That would explain why you continue to blame American stupidity for your lack of comedy, and why you roll your eyes at my "back pedalling"?

carnivorousplant 09-08-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno (Post 21847656)
Why is it that every time a person on this board admits to an error, people call it "back pedalling"?? That's not the first time. It is at least the third time in the past month. The point of this board is to fight ignorance, yet any time a person admits to a partial error, they are attacked as "back pedalling". That's fucking stupid.

At times the 'Dope does seem to me to be a cut throat, take no prisoners, I'm smart you you're stupid kind of thing.

Ludovic 09-08-2019 08:50 AM

New Zealand, isn't that where they filmed Lord of the Ring?

cochrane 09-08-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue infinity (Post 21847647)

They even run programs hosted by such familiar American personalities as Larry King and Jesse Ventura.

Jackmannii 09-08-2019 09:18 AM

So RT Television hired an American correspondent as part of its effort to show that the U.S. is a seething caldron of racial hatred. OK, I'll acknowledge that RT has at least a token "local" presence, but that doesn't change what they are, which is a Russian propaganda operation.

"RT (formerly Russia Today) is a Russian international television network funded by the Russian government. It operates pay television channels directed to audiences outside of Russia, as well as providing Internet content in English, Spanish, French, German, Arabic and Russian...
RT is a brand of "TV-Novosti", an "autonomous non-profit organization", founded by the Russian news agency, RIA Novosti, on 6 April 2005. During the economic crisis in December 2008, the Russian government, headed by Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, included ANO "TV-Novosti" on its list of core organizations of strategic importance of Russia...
RT has been frequently described as a propaganda outlet for the Russian government and its foreign policy. RT has also been accused of spreading disinformation by news reporters, including some former RT reporters. The United Kingdom media regulator, Ofcom, has repeatedly found RT to have breached its rules on impartiality and on one occasion found it had broadcast "materially misleading" content. RT's editor-in-chief compared it with the Russian Army and Defence Ministry, and talked about it "waging the information war against the entire Western world." In September 2017, RT America was ordered to register as a "foreign agent" with the United States Department of Justice under the Foreign Agents Registration Act. Under the act, RT will be required to disclose financial information."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(TV_network)

Assuming that when a U.S. division of a Russian propaganda outlet screws up, it's got to be an American foulup is not as bad a gaffe as misplacing major countries on a map, but it's embarrassing regardless.
Quote:

I give up. The joke wasn't primarily on the US you humourless fucksticks...But the reactions in this thread reinforce the stupidity of Americans...

The OP's agenda strikes me as a bit more than lighthearted repartee. :dubious:

jz78817 09-08-2019 09:46 AM

yeah, it's not like RT would have a vested interest in making us look foolish or anything. Nope, no way. The truth must be that one person presenting an on-air gaffe is evidence that all 329 million of us are stupid.

Sage Rat 09-08-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jz78817 (Post 21847831)
yeah, it's not like RT would have a vested interest in making us look foolish or anything. Nope, no way. The truth must be that one person presenting an on-air gaffe is evidence that all 329 million of us are stupid.

While I'm grant that they have a vested interest along those lines, I'd say that it's more likely that you simply don't see the best sort of person going to work for RT.

See: Carter Page, Michael Flynn

Corry El 09-08-2019 11:57 AM

Stupid media people. Also not seeing what's US specific about it. The buck surely stops with some Russian manager about what appears on RT even in English. But that might also be an ignorant media person, despite their ostensible job of 'teaching' the public. Which I think demonstrably runs across the various spins of media agencies (left/right in US terms, Putin apologist viewpoint in case of RT, etc).

Hari Seldon 09-09-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage Rat (Post 21847300)
In Soviet Russia, countries are where Soviet Russia says countries are.

Doesn't quite work as a Yakov Smirnoff joke but it's the best I could figure out.

No. First place there has been no Soviet Union for nigh on 30 years. Second, it's wherever Putin says it is.

How do you know it's not just Australia (accompanied by Tasmania) moving north?

Velocity 09-09-2019 04:01 PM

Plenty of people around the world are geographically illiterate (sometimes dubbed immappancy.) It doesn't have to have been an American thing.

carnivorousplant 09-09-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hari Seldon (Post 21850276)
No. First place there has been no Soviet Union for nigh on 30 years. Second, it's wherever Putin says it is.

How do you know it's not just Australia (accompanied by Tasmania) moving north?

Plate tectonics!

MacSpon 09-09-2019 08:28 PM

NZer here...I was planning a trip to Japan this Christmas, so I guess this will save me a bunch on airfares. And accommodation, actually.

saucywench 09-11-2019 08:25 AM

Hoist!

Knowed Out 09-11-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

I give up. The joke wasn't primarily on the US you humourless fucksticks. It was on the invisibility of New Zealand, as my link amply demonstrated.

That it was a US agency fucking up with their geography was just by the by. But the reactions in this thread reinforce the stupidity of Americans....and their lack of self-awareness to be able to laugh at gaffes.

No, not Americans, just tight-assed internet quibblers.

For the record, I thought the story was funny and very FARKish.