Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Names with Initials (only) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=881712)

MadTheSwine 09-08-2019 08:35 PM

Names with Initials (only)

I have a friend that has initials only for a first name(I will call him DC Smith) . He claims the Army, companies or people asked him so often what the DC stood for, he started writing D(only) C(only) Smith on his paperwork.

He then claimed he started getting mail for Donly Conly Smith, sound like BS to me and could never provide a letter that had that name on it.

Have you ever heard this from an Initialed only person?

kenobi 65 09-08-2019 08:48 PM

Sounds like the episode of M*A*S*H, where Hawkeye is obsessed with figuring out what "BJ" stands for, only to learn that BJ only had initials, not names.

I've never known someone whose name was solely initials, myself.

RealityChuck 09-08-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadTheSwine (Post 21848759)
I have a friend that has initials only for a first name(I will call him DC Smith) . He claims the Army, companies or people asked him so often what the DC stood for, he started writing D(only) C(only) Smith on his paperwork.

He then claimed he started getting mail for Donly Conly Smith, sound like BS to me and could never provide a letter that had that name on it.

Yes. I've heard it -- in a joke book I read about a half century ago.

Nice to know the corny old jokes never die.

Exapno Mapcase 09-08-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

[Reader’s Digest, 1958]

My friend R.B. Jones doesn’t have a first or middle name — only the initials R.B. This unusual arrangement was never a problem until he went to work for a government agency. The government is not accustomed to initialed employees, so R.B. had a lot of explaining to do. On the official forms for the payroll and personnel departments, his name was carefully entered as R (Only) B (Only) Jones.

Sure enough, when R.B. got his pay check, it was made out to Ronly Bonly Jones.
Bennett Cerf stole it for one of his joke books, too.

rsat3acr 09-08-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenobi 65 (Post 21848781)
Sounds like the episode of M*A*S*H, where Hawkeye is obsessed with figuring out what "BJ" stands for, only to learn that BJ only had initials, not names.

FWIIW, named for his mom Bea and his dad Jay.

jz78817 09-08-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Henry Cho used that for one of his stand-up bits, talking about his friend "Jonly Bonly."

Siam Sam 09-08-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenobi 65 (Post 21848781)

I remember that episode, but it's been awhile since I've seen it. Didn't it turn out that BJ stood for Bea Jay? Named after his mother and father, or something like that?

EDIT: Now I see post No. 5.

kenobi 65 09-08-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siam Sam (Post 21848850)
I remember that episode, but it's been awhile since I've seen it. Didn't it turn out that BJ stood for Bea Jay? Named after his mother and father, or something like that?

Yup, as rsat3acer noted. :) Though, BJ still insisted (and all of his records indicated) that it was, in fact, "BJ," and not "Bea Jay."

Spoons 09-08-2019 09:53 PM

My ex-wife's grandfather apparently went by the initials "ZT." They meant something, according to my ex-wife who never knew her grandfather's real name; but "Zee-tee" worked for everybody, so that was how everybody knew him.

Apparently, if he was asked what "ZT" stood for, he'd reply "Zachary Taylor," but my ex never knew if he was joking or not.

Beckdawrek 09-08-2019 10:00 PM

My Daddy was named T.A. it was on his birth certificate. 2 of his brothers were also initials named. Daddy had his name legally changed after he married my Mother.
He always said his Mom was just weird. All his sisters names started with an A.
No middle names for the girls. Daddy carried that notion down to us.

purplehorseshoe 09-09-2019 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jz78817 (Post 21848841)
Henry Cho used that for one of his stand-up bits, talking about his friend "Jonly Bonly."

Beat me to it. I didn't realize it was such an old, well-known joke.

Heh. I love that whole stand-up special. Good ol' Jonly Bonly.

ASL v2.0 09-09-2019 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsat3acr (Post 21848838)
FWIIW, named for his mom Bea and his dad Jay.

He said that, yes, but it was in such a way that Hawkeye didn’t take him seriously. As far as I’m concerned, the Reverend J. B. Honeydew's true name is still a mystery.

FairyChatMom 09-09-2019 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe (Post 21849104)
Beat me to it. I didn't realize it was such an old, well-known joke.

Heh. I love that whole stand-up special. Good ol' Jonly Bonly.

"What's that clickin' noise?"

:D

Thudlow Boink 09-09-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

I have read a similar story told about mathematician R. H. Bing.

Oglomott 09-09-2019 10:04 AM

I worked with a guy whose first name was "JC". He said that was his actual first name; that the JC didn't stand for anything. His son was also named JC (junior).

CalMeacham 09-09-2019 10:11 AM

The thread's gone on this long without anyone mentioning Harry S Truman?

Not only is there no initial after that middle "S", but according to David McCullouch's bio of him, exactly what the "S" was supposed to be standing for was deliberately kept nebulous. Each side of the family could assume it was derived from someone on their side. So the "S" doesn't really stand for anything.

racer72 09-09-2019 10:15 AM

My grandfather only had a middle initial, F. When he joined the Army in 1920, someone changed it to Files. My uncle was also given a middle initial but no name, it was F also. When he joined the Air Force, he was told he had to give a middle name, not an initial . He used the name Files too. This wasn't a problem till he retired and wanted to collect Social Security. Somehow the name Files was attached to his SS account. Took him a year to clear up the issue.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker 09-09-2019 10:16 AM

This member of SDMB claimed this in fact happened to her father--although in his case it was 'Ronly Nonly,' instead of 'Ronly Bonly.'

Annie-Xmas 09-09-2019 10:31 AM

Johnny Cash's birth name was J.R. Cash

The book Rock and Other Four Letter Words was written by J Marks. His whole name was J Marks. And it had photographs by Linda Eastman, who got together with Paul McCartney while photographing London rock stars for the book.

Gatopescado 09-09-2019 11:32 AM

Somewhere in my mom's side of the family were two brothers named "A. B." and "C. D."

That's just fucking lazy.

burpo the wonder mutt 09-09-2019 11:46 AM

D.B. Cooper

Hari Seldon 09-09-2019 03:43 PM

True story. A former postdoc of mine was an immigrant from Serbia. His first name was Andrej and he had no middle name. When he became as US citizen, they offered him the possibility to change his name. He wanted to make it Andre J. They wouldn't allow it. When he brought up Harry S Truman, they still wouldn't allow, but they did decide that if he knew that much American history, they would not bother to quiz him on it. He now uses only Andre, no middle initial or name.

MadTheSwine 09-09-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Wondering if the OP is being read. I am not asking for people that have only initials for their name, asking about adding the "ONLY" bit.

Skywatcher 09-09-2019 04:07 PM

Google turned up info that actual military (USAF, specifically) use would be (IO) rather than (only).

Taesahnim 09-09-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

That was snitched from Henry Cho, who I'm sure snitched it from someone else.

KneadToKnow 09-10-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalMeacham (Post 21849535)
Each side of the family could assume it was derived from someone on their side. So the "S" doesn't really stand for anything.

It is, in both senses of the word, Schrödinger's initial.