Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shed your tears for Sarah and Todd right here (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=881790)

Chefguy 09-10-2019 10:42 AM

Shed your tears for Sarah and Todd right here
 
Surprised there was no thread already, but yes, it's true, the two lovebirds have called it quits. Such a good, god-fearing, Christian, fucked up, drunken, bickering match made in the hell of Wasilla, AK. I will never forgive McCain for foisting her onto an unsuspecting public.

BobLibDem 09-10-2019 10:45 AM

Congrats to Todd both for lasting 31 years with her and for having the sense to get away. If he misses her voice he can always run his fingernails on a chalk board.

ElvisL1ves 09-10-2019 10:46 AM

It took them that long to realize they have an "incompatibility of temperament"?

Beckdawrek 09-10-2019 10:47 AM

Not sure I have any effs to give on this news.

Superdude 09-10-2019 10:58 AM

I have no love for the Palin family, but as the child of a divorce, and as a divorcee about to take the plunge for the second time, I wouldn't wish a divorce on anyone. Divorces suck.

Morgyn 09-10-2019 11:26 AM

He's no better than she is. At least married they only made each other miserable; now we have their making two other people miserable to look forward to.

I hope they both come out of this flat broke and homeless and that Trig gets a home with relatives who are more likely to take good care of him because they aren't batshit crazy and stupid, to boot.

ETA: And may this be the absolute last thing we ever hear about anyone in that benighted family, ever again.

Aspenglow 09-10-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgyn (Post 21851672)
He's no better than she is. At least married they only made each other miserable; now we have their making two other people miserable to look forward to.

I hope they both come out of this flat broke and homeless and that Trig gets a home with relatives who are more likely to take good care of him because they aren't batshit crazy and stupid, to boot.

ETA: And may this be the absolute last thing we ever hear about anyone in that benighted family, ever again.

Hear, hear.

Mr. Greenjeans 09-10-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves (Post 21851571)
It took them that long to realize they have an "incompatibility of temperament"?

They're both assholes. Just different kinds of assholes.

Frazzled 09-10-2019 01:46 PM

Now there's a name I've not thought about in a long time.. Is Sarah Palin still remotely relevant? The last time I remember seeing her mentioned in the news was when she endorsed Trump way back in 2016. And then he promptly threw her under the bus. I can't remember seeing her at all since then. Has she played any role whatsoever in the public discourse since that announcement?

Atamasama 09-10-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazzled (Post 21852032)
Now there's a name I've not thought about in a long time.. Is Sarah Palin still remotely relevant?

No. I expect to see her on a reality show before long, appearing with other people you forgot existed.

QuickSilver 09-10-2019 02:14 PM

Couldn't be more well deserved. I wish them both a protracted, bitter, sordid and financially ruinous divorce.

Lancia 09-10-2019 02:21 PM

So sad to see this happening to such a strong proponent of God and traditional marriage and family values...

I can see irony hypocrisy from my house!

Frazzled 09-10-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atamasama (Post 21852072)
No. I expect to see her on a reality show before long, appearing with other people you forgot existed.

I guess she'll be on the next season of "Celebrity Bachelorette"? Who'd be the contestants? Screech from Saved by the Bell comes to mind...

tricoteuse 09-10-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atamasama (Post 21852072)
No. I expect to see her on a reality show before long, appearing with other people you forgot existed.

Dancing with the Stars?

Snowboarder Bo 09-10-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atamasama (Post 21852072)
No. I expect to see her on a reality show before long, appearing with other people you forgot existed.

Sarah Palin, OJ Simpson, Dennis Rodman, Andy Dick, Michelle Bachmann and Roseanne Barr on the next MTV's Real World!

Dale Sams 09-10-2019 03:34 PM

I don't wish bad things on people whom I can't even remember. Bad juju.

Icarus 09-10-2019 03:58 PM

My predictions -

We haven't the last of either of them. I'm quite certain some reality TV fool is already trying to come up with an Alaskan Wilderness Tough Guy show for Todd.

And once the Trumpnado blows out of town, I expect to see Sarah back in the wingnut welfare business with a "See, I wasn't so bad after all!" Heck, she'll probably pick up a new name brand husband, some media figure or DC bigwig. I hear Al Gore is single. :D

carrps 09-10-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgyn (Post 21851672)
He's no better than she is. At least married they only made each other miserable; now we have their making two other people miserable to look forward to.

I hope they both come out of this flat broke and homeless and that Trig gets a home with relatives who are more likely to take good care of him because they aren't batshit crazy and stupid, to boot.

ETA: And may this be the absolute last thing we ever hear about anyone in that benighted family, ever again.

Trig spends the vast majority of his time with one of his sisters. He'll be o.k.

Chefguy 09-10-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricoteuse (Post 21852214)
Dancing with the Stars?

Maybe if they have a show that's just about cellulite.

Aspenglow 09-10-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarus (Post 21852312)
<snip> Heck, she'll probably pick up a new name brand husband, some media figure or DC bigwig. I hear Al Gore is single. :D

Ooofff, that turned my stomach. Al Gore wouldn't touch her with John McCain's dead dick.

wolfpup 09-10-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superdude (Post 21851600)
I have no love for the Palin family, but as the child of a divorce, and as a divorcee about to take the plunge for the second time, I wouldn't wish a divorce on anyone. Divorces suck.

Yes, they do, but no one deserves suckage more than these two self-serving conniving assholes.

Guinastasia 09-10-2019 06:44 PM

Meh, who cares? Did they lecture people about how marriage is sacred, and you should never divorce? If not, what's the big deal?

It's not like when her daughter was the spokeswoman for abstinance only education and ended up unmarried and pregnant. (for the SECOND time)

Fiveyearlurker 09-10-2019 06:55 PM

It's all fun and games until the first episode of the moose hunting themed reality dating show to find her new spouse.

Morgyn 09-10-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrps (Post 21852405)
Trig spends the vast majority of his time with one of his sisters. He'll be o.k.

I hope not with Bristol!

Blank Slate 09-10-2019 07:08 PM

How's that lovey cherishy thing workin' out for ya, Sarah? Ass goblin.

MollyCatherine 09-10-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atamasama (Post 21852072)
No. I expect to see her on a reality show before long, appearing with other people you forgot existed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazzled (Post 21852131)
I guess she'll be on the next season of "Celebrity Bachelorette"? Who'd be the contestants? Screech from Saved by the Bell comes to mind...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricoteuse (Post 21852214)
Dancing with the Stars?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo (Post 21852219)
Sarah Palin, OJ Simpson, Dennis Rodman, Andy Dick, Michelle Bachmann and Roseanne Barr on the next MTV's Real World!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarus (Post 21852312)
We haven't the last of either of them. I'm quite certain some reality TV fool is already trying to come up with an Alaskan Wilderness Tough Guy show for Todd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguy (Post 21852535)
Maybe if they have a show that's just about cellulite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker (Post 21852695)
It's all fun and games until the first episode of the moose hunting themed reality dating show to find her new spouse.

7 people talking about a hypothetical reality show, and no one remembers the oh-so-popular 2010 Sarah Palin's Alaska? But it was such... so... uh, it was... it was. For one short season, it was.

Rick Kitchen 09-10-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atamasama (Post 21852072)
No. I expect to see her on a reality show before long, appearing with other people you forgot existed.

I keep expecting her to show up on Dancing With the Stars alongside the other washed up celebrities.

Baker 09-10-2019 09:13 PM

The following is a link to one of the songs sung in a Juneau production of The Mikado. It's I've Got a Little List. At about 2:05 there is a Palin reference that makes the audience laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbHxh2NOJIw

nearwildheaven 09-10-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspenglow (Post 21852585)
Ooofff, that turned my stomach. Al Gore wouldn't touch her with John McCain's dead dick.

And that cracked me up, in a warped sort of way.

I'd find this amusing if it didn't involve a special-needs pre-teen who I personally have always believed is their grandchild, the offspring of their son Track and a so-far-unidentified girlfriend.

How did she ever get elected governor of Alaska, anyway?

nearwildheaven 09-10-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen (Post 21852879)
I keep expecting her to show up on Dancing With the Stars alongside the other washed up celebrities.

And politicians; Rick Perry was on a while back.

Atamasama 09-10-2019 09:41 PM

I was thinking Worst Cooks In America: Celebrity Edition but who knows?

Beckdawrek 09-10-2019 09:50 PM

Bristol did Dancing with the stars, didn't she?

Locrian 09-10-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21853000)
Bristol did Dancing with the stars, didn't she?

How about “The Apprentice” for Ms Dontcha know?? Someone tweet the orange-fucked retard. Ivanka can host.

Moriarty 09-10-2019 11:04 PM

I keep imagining her giving him some weird excuse like ďonly dead fish go with the flowĒ while trying to justify leaving her marriage before itís finished.

Defensive Indifference 09-10-2019 11:30 PM

After Palin's loss in 2008, Steve Bannon directed a film about her called "The Undefeated". As both Bannon and Palin have some free time, I eagerly await the release of "The Married", or perhaps "The Undivorced".

Celidin 09-11-2019 09:25 AM

You know, in the various news coverage I've glanced at, and in this thread there's still one question that occurs to me every time:

Why the fuck should I care?

Chefguy 09-11-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nearwildheaven (Post 21852930)
How did she ever get elected governor of Alaska, anyway?

Circumstance and a pretty face. She had been a member of Governor Murkowski's administration, but was fired for exposing some shenanigans within her department. She used that to cultivate a "maverick" image and was elected mayor of Wasilla. Murkowski, a 26 year veteran of the U.S. Senate, managed to become one of the least popular governors in the entire country in three short years, mainly because of his arrogance and incompetence. Palin saw opportunity and went after him, parlaying her looks and maverick reputation into a win.

It didn't take long for that all to go sour, of course. She was a dismal governor and a vindictive bitch to those who she felt had ever wronged her. Her husband set up shop in the administration and began going through personnel records to find dirt on police officers and others. Had McCain done much better vetting on her, all of this would have been revealed, and he would have known what a willfully ignorant person she really is.

Miller 09-11-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazzled (Post 21852131)
I guess she'll be on the next season of "Celebrity Bachelorette"? Who'd be the contestants? Screech from Saved by the Bell comes to mind...

Thatís harsh, man. Iím okay with hoping Sarah Palin gets, I dunno, cancer or something, but wishing Dustin Diamond on a person is going too far.

Icarus 09-11-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspenglow (Post 21852585)
Ooofff, that turned my stomach. Al Gore wouldn't touch her with John McCain's dead dick.

Haven't you heard the term, "Politics makes strange bedfellows"?

dropzone 09-11-2019 06:45 PM

This is just the break McCain's campaign staff has been waiting for.

"Sarah, this is Steve Schmidt Yeah, the guy who made you famous. Y'see, my wife is out of town this weekend and I'm thinking we could get together and talk about old times. Entirely by coincidence I'm in Wasilla and am staying at the Lake Lucille Inn."


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.