Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The Quarantine Zone (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   So what are all these new “things” I should learn while COVID-19 sequestered? Suggestions: (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=892298)

russian heel 03-22-2020 03:36 AM

So what are all these new “things” I should learn while COVID-19 sequestered? Suggestions:

Let’s see in my lifetime I’ve tried multiple times to learn Spanish and French to no long term use.

I’ve dabbled in Chess and I totally suck at it.

I took a few MBA classes and decided they were a waste of time.

And music? Forgettaboutit tried it done it.

I’m 52 and am willing to use my next few weeks locked up to learn a new skill but I don’t want to climb out of my bunker with something COMPLETELY useless.

Any recommendations? Getting into yoga? One handed pushups? Juggling?

I recognize it’s hard to develop a new skill at 52 in a few weeks but what is my best shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xandria 03-22-2020 07:42 AM

Make soap?!

Knitting, engraving, pyrography, calligraphy, any arty project can be really enjoyable to learn, wood turning, soap making, growing your own veg, especially indoors under led lights, home brewing, learning how to use the weird foods few others buy (buckwheat groats, oat groats, millet etc). I imagine a few of those will prove handy sooner rather than later! I do most already, with varying degrees of success, and have kept myself entertained for years. (Am a bit of a hermit). Enjoy the lockdown 😀

PoppaSan 03-22-2020 04:45 PM

Start training to be a shen yun dancer. If nothing else you'll be flexible enough to dodge bullets Matrix style. If only they'd come at you in slow motion.

PastTense 03-22-2020 05:51 PM

Amateur radio! Study to get your license now! You will be able to communicate with people all around the world!

[I was thinking of doing this a few months ago. This thought lasted a whole couple weeks.]

RioRico 03-22-2020 09:01 PM

Ham radio, yes! And ham butchering - gain a new career in the meat-processing industry. Also ham acting - over-emote as a camguy, reading socio-sexual soliloquies whilst gyrating sensuously. But don't frighten passersby. Gain productivity calmly. Take online smut-writing courses. Study astronomics and design a starship. Learn to crochet.

You're just a kid with at least five good years ahead of you. Don't waste the time. Draw a webcomic. Write social commentary. Create deep-fake children's books. Don't get caught.

russian heel 03-22-2020 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastTense (Post 22204406)
Amateur radio! Study to get your license now! You will be able to communicate with people all around the world!

[I was thinking of doing this a few months ago. This thought lasted a whole couple weeks.]

LOL my grandfather was a ham operator. Of course this was over 50 years ago before we could do the same thing with the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk