Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The Quarantine Zone (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What's up with Mississippi? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=892401)

GreysonCarlisle 03-23-2020 02:44 PM

What's up with Mississippi?

On this map, other states have large clusters and a few outliers. Not Mississippi. Theirs is a fairly uniform distribution of small infected areas with no large clusters.

How come?

kk fusion 03-23-2020 02:54 PM

That's basically a population density map they're showing. Mississippi simply doesn't have a Birmingham, Memphis, Little Rock, or New Orleans within its borders. You see similar patterns in Vermont and New Hampshire, though overshadowed by the NY/NJ bubbles.

Kovitlac 03-23-2020 02:57 PM

I don't see anything particularly noteworthy about MO, on the map. I am wondering whose bright idea it was to make the clusters and the infection numbers both the same shade of red :smack:

GreysonCarlisle 03-23-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk fusion (Post 22205935)
That's basically a population density map they're showing. Mississippi simply doesn't have a Birmingham, Memphis, Little Rock, or New Orleans within its borders. You see similar patterns in Vermont and New Hampshire, though overshadowed by the NY/NJ bubbles.

That makes sense. No really big towns, and no larger towns close to each other.

DCnDC 03-23-2020 02:57 PM

WAG Mississippi is one of the least populated southern states and its major cities aren't really that "major." Its largest city, Jackson (pop. 166,965), is only the 158th largest city in the country, and its 2nd largest city, Gulf Port (pop. 71,822) is less than half the population of that.

GreysonCarlisle 03-23-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovitlac (Post 22205942)
I don't see anything particularly noteworthy about MO, on the map. I am wondering whose bright idea it was to make the clusters and the infection numbers both the same shade of red :smack:

Yeah, that's been driving me nuts, too.

Mississippi, not Missouri. Couple of states down. Most noteworthy thing about Missouri is that the I-70 corridor (basically, Kansas City to St. Louis) hasn't been infected like a string of pearls.

Kovitlac 03-23-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle (Post 22205956)
Yeah, that's been driving me nuts, too.

Mississippi, not Missouri. Couple of states down. Most noteworthy thing about Missouri is that the I-70 corridor (basically, Kansas City to St. Louis) hasn't been infected like a string of pearls.

Bleh, my bad! No wonder I wasn't noticing anything weird!

:smack: for me, this time!

EDIT: Okay, now I see.

Fretful Porpentine 03-23-2020 05:14 PM

Yeah, MS doesn't have much in the way of urban centers. You can see a cluster of bigger bubbles around Jackson, and in the Memphis suburbs, which are the closest things we've got. Also, a lot of people don't have good access to medical care, so the whole state is probably very undertested.

Chronos 03-24-2020 09:21 AM

XKCD is prescient.