Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The Quarantine Zone (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   How long do you think itíll take you to trust going out again? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=892551)

Leaper 03-25-2020 11:40 AM

How long do you think itíll take you to trust going out again?

No matter how many people this disease affects, no matter how many waves may or may not happen in the future, eventually half of the U.S. population will have to try to get back into a normal routine SOMETIME, whether itís next month, six months from now, whatever.

When itís your turn, how long will it take you to take being in public for granted again? Or even just not flinching when someone near you coughs, or your nervousness at being around lots of people goes down a little? Or will you be able to blithely get back to normal attitude fairly easily?

Procrustus 03-25-2020 11:44 AM

I don't think I'll have any problem blithely getting back to normal attitude fairly easily. I'll probably wash my hands often for the first few days.

EmilyG 03-25-2020 11:56 AM

No idea. I haven't gone outside since March 12th.

SmartAleq 03-25-2020 12:01 PM

Dunno, but I've been watching tv shows and shouting at the tv "Wash your hands! Don't stand so close! OMG you're drinking out of the same glass as that other guy! Shaking hands, are you INSANE?!" so it's possible this has affected my world view somewhat.

What Exit? 03-25-2020 12:05 PM

I've been taking walks in the park on nicer days. I drove up to a restaurant for pick up yesterday. I do think I will no longer engage in the archaic practice of hand shaking though, even when the pandemic ends.

My state is in lockdown basically. The roads are really empty, at least by New Jersey standards. The trip yesterday normally takes 20 minutes each way and took less than 15.

Tamerlane 03-25-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Procrustus (Post 22209929)
I don't think I'll have any problem blithely getting back to normal attitude fairly easily.

Similar here. I'm not deathly afraid or nervous now. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your pov, I'm pretty blithe in general. I don't worry about terrorists, I don't worry about earthquakes, I don't worry(much)about cancer. I do worry just a tad about senility ;). But I also don't worry about disease and pandemics except in the strictly practical or distant or abstract - how does it impact my family, the country, society, the economy, the world. But I don't much worry about myself. If I get it, I get it and I'll either muddle through or not.

I practice social distancing as much as possible while doing essential shopping and the like, but only because I'm actively thinking about it and trying to be respectful to others. But I try and be courteous and not infect others if I have a cold or certainly the flu as well. I think people who happily put themselves or others in harm's way in a situation like this are both idiots and selfish.

But it's certainly not an automatic twitch response and I'm not nervous about it. If I hear a sneeze and think about it at all, I tend to just think *allergies*.

Dale Sams 03-25-2020 12:17 PM

I don't trust now! I look at people sniffling like they're zombies!

C3 03-25-2020 12:19 PM

I'll feel totally comfortable once I've had that vaccine shoved into my arm. Until then, you're all suspect.

Babale 03-25-2020 12:22 PM

I've not been very worried about catching COVID myself, so as soon as the health professionals tell me I'm not putting the old and vulnerable at risk I will be happy to return to normal.

RickJay 03-25-2020 12:24 PM

I mean, it kinda depends on how the statistics go. My feelings tend to be based on evidence. As long as things are out of control, I'm staying in.

running coach 03-25-2020 12:25 PM

I only shop once a month so that's a calculated risk. The school I coach at is closed until Apr. 19th
and it's not certain yet if the district will re-open for the remainder of the school year. The rest of the track (and other spring sports) season is uncertain.

The real concern is the gym. Even after the gym announced measures to reduce exposure, there were still idiots not cleaning up after finishing with equipment. I haven't decided if I'll return when they re-open but I may go armed with sanitizer and gloves.

Manda JO 03-25-2020 12:29 PM

I am a teacher. One thing that is hitting the senior teachers really hard is the realization that they may never see most of their students again. When we left March 13, we suspected we'd be gone for more than a week, but not months.

I think it will be weird to see in real life people who have turned into on-line friends. So, like, I have a lunch group at work. There are 7 of us who eat together when we can--say, 4-5 any given day. It's fluid. Well, we started a group chat that last Friday, and it's turned into this huge lifeline. We text so much. We have the occasional Zoom Happy Hour. In many ways, it's gone from a loose association to a really tight friend group really quickly. It's going to be so weird to see them again, on the other side of this.

I am also really looking forward to the day I can see my mom again. When I saw her last, on the 14th, I didn't think it would be so long.

silenus 03-25-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manda JO (Post 22210022)
I am a teacher. One thing that is hitting the senior teachers really hard is the realization that they may never see most of their students again. When we left March 13, we suspected we'd be gone for more than a week, but not months.

Yep. My district is out until May 1st, and I really doubt they'll open then. At least it will cut down on all the hassles and arguments over graduation tickets!

El_Kabong 03-25-2020 12:55 PM

How long do you think itíll take you to trust going out again?

Whenever the statistics show we're on the back side of the transmission curve. So maybe 2-3 months.

To be clear, that doesn't mean being afraid to go out, per se; more being concerned about mixing with crowds.

Dallas Jones 03-25-2020 01:01 PM

Three minutes after the bars re-open.

Joey P 03-25-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manda JO (Post 22210022)

Think about how the students feel. Most of them left school that Friday/Monday had no idea they'd never see a lot of those people again.

RioRico 03-25-2020 01:28 PM

Combined sloth+weather stabilize our rhythms. We were snowbound for a week as the world fell apart and snow is pounding again. "Going out" meant a weekly shopping trip to the county seat, a roll every month or two to big-box shopping around a state capitol, and the occasional scenic mountain drive. "Dining out" was a stop at a deli or taco truck for lunch or maybe the odd sit-down plate somewhere. Now it's store-order pickups with snacking at home.

When will we venture out more? Probably a couple weeks after the brewpubs downhill re-open.

Kovitlac 03-25-2020 01:39 PM

It depends on how long this lasts for, but I'm expecting to go back to normal day 1. Even now my routine really isn't very different. I'm a homebody though, and I put off working from home till Monday. That'll feel weird...

suranyi 03-25-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey P (Post 22210128)
Think about how the students feel. Most of them left school that Friday/Monday had no idea they'd never see a lot of those people again.

My wife is an elementary school teacher, and one thing she’s done to make things a little better is to arrange for a daily virtual recess for her students. Every day at 2 pm she invites them to a Zoom meeting where she mutes herself and let’s the kids talk to each other about whatever they want.

needscoffee 03-25-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suranyi (Post 22210220)
My wife is an elementary school teacher, and one thing she’s done to make things a little better is to arrange for a daily virtual recess for her students. Every day at 2 pm she invites them to a Zoom meeting where she mutes herself and let’s the kids talk to each other about whatever they want.

What a cool idea!

Ulfreida 03-25-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3 (Post 22210001)
I'll feel totally comfortable once I've had that vaccine shoved into my arm. Until then, you're all suspect.

This.

Leaper 03-25-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3 (Post 22210001)

Understandable. But what does this mean for you in practice and action?

skdo23 03-25-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartAleq (Post 22209963)
Dunno, but I've been watching tv shows and shouting at the tv "Wash your hands! Don't stand so close! OMG you're drinking out of the same glass as that other guy! Shaking hands, are you INSANE?!" so it's possible this has affected my world view somewhat.

Iím starting to develop a whole new appreciation for Monk reruns.

C3 03-25-2020 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaper (Post 22210428)
Understandable. But what does this mean for you in practice and action?

I'll have to go back to work, but I'll maintain the near-constant handwashing and disinfecting stuff, limit my visits to public places to what's necessary (grocery store and...well I can't think of anything else at the moment), stay out of crowds. I probably won't be doing anything like going to the theater or the mall until I can get a vaccination. Basically, what we were doing a week or two ago...what's necessary with caution.

Manda JO 03-25-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey P (Post 22210128)

You really think I'm not?

Aspidistra 03-25-2020 05:54 PM

I'll trust myself going out when:

- I last coughed over two weeks ago
- Infections are going down
- The authorities say I can.

All three of those true? I'll be whooping it down the streets

actualliberalnotoneofthose 03-25-2020 06:28 PM

My routine hasn't really changed, other than the hours things are open. I guess the biggest change is that I finally managed to make some friends 40 years into my life who would normally invite me out and over to their places, and now it's like I'm being forced back into social anxiety and avoidance and I have to be vigilant to maintain an outlook that goes against current society for my own health. I hope that safe social non-distancing will become the norm again.

Noelq 03-25-2020 06:32 PM

I've never been nervous. I've never given it one thought.

Leaper 03-25-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3 (Post 22210640)
I'll have to go back to work, but I'll maintain the near-constant handwashing and disinfecting stuff, limit my visits to public places to what's necessary (grocery store and...well I can't think of anything else at the moment), stay out of crowds. I probably won't be doing anything like going to the theater or the mall until I can get a vaccination. Basically, what we were doing a week or two ago...what's necessary with caution.

Just out of curiosity, if you took public transit before this (which you evidently donít), would you reconsider doing so? Would you be ABLE to reconsider it?

C3 03-25-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaper (Post 22210904)
Just out of curiosity, if you took public transit before this (which you evidently donít), would you reconsider doing so? Would you be ABLE to reconsider it?

That's not a factor for me. I guess if it was, I would try to not use it if at all possible, but would try to minimize my risk as much as possible.

ftg 03-26-2020 07:36 AM

I don't consider this to be a binary matter. One day I'm afraid to go out, the next day I'm not.

Depending on what needs to be done, the type of place I'm going to, how long I will be there, etc., things will vary.

Probably a couple months for semi-important or very quick things. Could be as long as 6 months for more casual/moderate stuff. Sometime next year maybe for extended "fun" stuff.

Staggerlee 03-26-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Jones (Post 22210091)
Three minutes after the bars re-open.

I'll raise a glass to that. It is deeply strange and unpleasant not to have the sanctuary of a single pub available in the whole of merry England. I turned down an invitation to meet my mum for a snifter two weeks ago, and have been regretting it ever since.