Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Every time I see Ruth Bader Ginsburg's name in the news, I am scared. (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=865210)

What Exit? 11-08-2018 09:49 AM

Every time I see Ruth Bader Ginsburg's name in the news, I am scared.

She fell and broke 3 ribs and is in the hospital. I hope for a full and speedy recovery. She is 85 but actually in very good health otherwise.

Please don't retire until the next President is sworn in at least. Give us 2 more years and 2 more months.

carnivorousplant 11-08-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What Exit? (Post 21311541)
Please don't retire until the next President is sworn in at least. Give us 2 more years and 2 more months.

I'm sure that she won't retire during this administration.

DavidwithanR 11-08-2018 10:54 AM

I don't know whether she still keeps it, but it wasn't THAT long ago that I read about her organized and long-term effort to stay in good physical condition. Whatever the positive effects of such a plan are, she's experiencing them.

Living Well Is Best Revenge 11-08-2018 10:59 AM

They need to put her on pre-emptive life support!

Hari Seldon 11-08-2018 01:13 PM

The trouble is that it will be almost impossible for the Dems to take control of the senate in 2020 so even if they manage to defeat Trump, they will still not be able to appoint supreme court justices.

I expect that the current supreme court will possibly strike down ACA. One more Trump appointee and they could kill medicare, medicaid and even social security.

What Exit? 11-08-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidwithanR (Post 21311703)
I don't know whether she still keeps it, but it wasn't THAT long ago that I read about her organized and long-term effort to stay in good physical condition. Whatever the positive effects of such a plan are, she's experiencing them.

My understanding is she was still doing it. I saw something on it recently.

Ashtura 11-08-2018 03:18 PM

For some reason, I don't think the Founders intended the SCOTUS to be so powerful that people would be scared of them dying.

Gatopescado 11-08-2018 03:26 PM

Broken ribs suck when you are young and healthy. I can't imagine how much they suck when you're over 80. :eek:

panache45 11-08-2018 05:01 PM

Are they sure she wasn't pushed? Where was Trump when it happened?

Mangosteen 11-08-2018 06:02 PM

The report I read was that she fell, got up and went to bed. The next morning she didn't feel well so she called the Supreme Court police and asked to be brought to the hospital.

Are you telling me she lives ALONE??? Without any kind of caregiver present. She's not just 85 yo and not in the best of health, but she's a Supreme Court Justice. I don't care how much she protests and tells everyone she's "fine", she should have a 24/7 caregiver nearby.

IvoryTowerDenizen 11-08-2018 06:23 PM

Mod Hat On

Not appropriate for this forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by panache45 (Post 21312590)
Are they sure she wasn't pushed? Where was Trump when it happened?

JRDelirious 11-08-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangosteen (Post 21312658)
The report I read was that she fell, got up and went to bed. The next morning she didn't feel well so she called the Supreme Court police and asked to be brought to the hospital.

Are you telling me she lives ALONE??? Without any kind of caregiver present. She's not just 85 yo and not in the best of health, but she's a Supreme Court Justice. I don't care how much she protests and tells everyone she's "fine", she should have a 24/7 caregiver nearby.

Mentally competent, able-bodied-for-her-age adult citizen = It's her call. Plus I don't think the Court's budget allows for an appropriation for mandated assisted living for its members.

Gatopescado 11-08-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen (Post 21312687)
Mod Hat On

Not appropriate Ö.

But Hilarious! :D

I'm still laughing.

pullin 11-09-2018 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hari Seldon (Post 21312059)
The trouble is that it will be almost impossible for the Dems to take control of the senate in 2020 so even if they manage to defeat Trump, they will still not be able to appoint supreme court justices.

I told my wife that after the next few years with RBG, the younger generations will think "Weekend at Bernie's" was a documentary.

The Other Waldo Pepper 11-09-2018 07:46 AM

Just imagine if, after all this, itís actually Breyer who exits stage left.

What Exit? 11-09-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper (Post 21313372)

He has to gives us another 2 years and 2 months too.

UltraVires 11-09-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper (Post 21313372)

I think that both she and Breyer should scale back their workload in their old age, maybe start a boutique law firm working one or two days a week...and hire Kagan and Sotomayor to run the firm the rest of the week.

muldoonthief 11-09-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangosteen (Post 21312658)

A lot of people her age utterly refuse to give in to the thought that they're not as capable of taking care of themselves as they were 50 years ago. And it's not like anyone can force her to have a caregiver against her will. She doesn't strike as the type to meekly agree with what other people tell her is "best" for her.

Merneith 11-09-2018 12:31 PM

She's home and doing well. She plans to work from home today.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...tal-doing-well

JRDelirious 11-09-2018 12:34 PM

Every time I see Ruth Bader Ginsburg's name in the news, I am scared.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pullin (Post 21313228)
I told my wife that after the next few years with RBG, the younger generations will think "Weekend at Bernie's" was a documentary.

Marshall was not looking too mobile by the mid 80s.

But that is true, there is nowhere contemplated for a seat to be vacated due to incapacitation and it would take a XXV-Amendment-style constitutional provision to create the process. And as long as the Justice is mentally alert they can keep at it even if in Stephen Hawking mode.

Mangosteen 11-09-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muldoonthief (Post 21313953)
A lot of people her age utterly refuse to give in to the thought that they're not as capable of taking care of themselves as they were 50 years ago. And it's not like anyone can force her to have a caregiver against her will. She doesn't strike as the type to meekly agree with what other people tell her is "best" for her.

"
How about what's "best" for the country?

This her third fall (that we know of). It sounds like she is not even wearing one of those "fall monitors" around her neck because no one knew about this latest fall until she called the police the next morning. So how many times has she really fallen? What if she hits her head next time? Do you really think there won't be a next time? She could be on the floor "bleeding out" from a relatively minor head wound because of her stubbornness.

Cost is not an issue. Do you how many hundreds of highly qualified medical personal that would gladly volunteer their time to sit outside her residence in some kind of unobtrusive mobile medical unit?

Maybe her doctor can get through to her.

If she checks out, President Trump is easily going to get Amy Coney Barrett confirmed by the Senate and there will be blood in the streets. Something no sane person wants.

What Exit? 11-09-2018 05:43 PM

Mangosteen, I honestly do believe they could find dozens of volunteers to be on nearby standby to ensure Ruth Bader Ginsburg would get immediately help when needed. Possibly hundreds willing to do so. Hell, the DNC would probably put up some stipend money for it to help out or it could be crowd-funded.

muldoonthief 11-09-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangosteen (Post 21314496)
"
How about what's "best" for the country?

This her third fall (that we know of). It sounds like she is not even wearing one of those "fall monitors" around her neck because no one knew about this latest fall until she called the police the next morning. So how many times has she really fallen? What if she hits her head next time? Do you really think there won't be a next time? She could be on the floor "bleeding out" from a relatively minor head wound because of her stubbornness.

Cost is not an issue. Do you how many hundreds of highly qualified medical personal that would gladly volunteer their time to sit outside her residence in some kind of unobtrusive mobile medical unit?

Maybe her doctor can get through to her.

If she checks out, President Trump is easily going to get Amy Coney Barrett confirmed by the Senate and there will be blood in the streets. Something no sane person wants.

I'm not denying anything you say, except that, without her consent, there's nothing you can do. If she wants to live alone, and not have someone checking on her on an hourly basis, that's her right. If her doctor or family can convince her otherwise, great. If they can't, there really is nothing to be done.

Napier 11-16-2018 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hari Seldon (Post 21312059)
[...] One more Trump appointee and they could kill medicare, medicaid and even social security.

This doesn't sound possible. The republican side of the Court is still part of a team, and Republicans in Congress rely pretty heavily on the votes of old white people. Medicaid could go away, maybe, because it benefits plenty of people who don't vote Republican. But Medicare and Social Security? How could that be possible? At worst, they could influence the gradual increase in the age of eligibility -- and that actually makes logical sense as longevity has gradually increased since the beginnings of these programs.

aceplace57 11-16-2018 09:03 AM

Sadly, I can't imagine Bader hanging on until 2024.

If a Repub wins in 2020 that seat will probably flip.

Maybe a deal could be made to appoint a very moderate Justice. It won't be a liberal Justice like Bader.

What Exit? 11-16-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceplace57 (Post 21326246)
Sadly, I can't imagine Bader hanging on until 2024.

If a Repub wins in 2020 that seat will probably flip.

Maybe a deal could be made to appoint a very moderate Justice. It won't be a liberal Justice like Bader.

Two of the more liberal justices are unlikely to make it to 2024, so the Dems need to beat Trump or the court will really be stacked to the right. Stephen Breyer is 80 already. The rest are 70 or younger.

PastTense 11-27-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was back on the bench Monday in time for the first oral arguments since she fell earlier this month and suffered three fractured ribs.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/just...ry?id=59418779

What Exit? 11-27-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastTense (Post 21345938)

Hooray!

Velocity 12-21-2018 01:55 PM

There's more news now: RBG had to have cancerous growths removed from her lungs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/21/supr...6JFyTF6JT-m08s