Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   June, I'm worried about the Peeve (mini-rants) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=876461)

Monty 05-31-2019 04:34 PM

June, I'm worried about the Peeve (mini-rants)

The level of selfishness displayed by a select few individuals in this city is appalling. Trying to get a share-bike scooter can be quite the adventure. First two I reserved using the nifty app happened to be sans chains. Fine, the app tells me where the next one is so I figure, "What, one klick? No problem! I'll use a share bike (regular bike, non-electric) to ride to it." Dream on! I passed seven of them, two with no chain and five with personal locks on them. Selfish scum pull that stunt. I did finally get to the electric scooter, but that is not the kind of adventure I dream of.

And don't get me started on the geniuses who pull out of the school gate every morning, turning left (disregarding the clearly visible "no left turn" sign) into oncoming traffic ruing the height of the morning rush hour.

Chimera 05-31-2019 04:39 PM

Juno it's not June yet, right?

Treppenwitz 05-31-2019 04:55 PM

In China, right? It's June.

j

wolfpup 05-31-2019 05:29 PM

I wish to rant about people in other countries who start the monthly rant seven and a half hours early (ten and a half hours early for our friends on the west coast) just because they live in some God-forsaken place somewhere on the planet that doesn't even know what day it is, let alone what time! ;)

I mean, I might have had an absolutely brilliant title for this month's rant thread. (I might have, but I didn't, but so what? I might have!)

kaylasdad99 05-31-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpup (Post 21674062)
I wish to rant about people in other countries who start the monthly rant seven and a half hours early (ten and a half hours early for our friends on the west coast) just because they live in some God-forsaken place somewhere on the planet that doesn't even know what day it is, let alone what time! ;)

I mean, I might have had an absolutely brilliant title for this month's rant thread. (I might have, but I didn't, but so what? I might have!)

But Monty actually DID.

(Turns to Monty)

Bravo, sir! I doff my cap to you! :D

Monty 05-31-2019 09:01 PM

Y'all do know it was June "Where America's Day Begins" before it was June here, right?

And thanks. The title came to me three weeks ago during a discussion about a certain TV series and certain Americans who believe that's exactly what certain foreigners abetted by Democrats are "stealing from 'us'".

Gatopescado 05-31-2019 09:24 PM

You know it's bad when you can't find a bike in China.

Little Nemo 05-31-2019 09:48 PM

I brought some older board games in to a local store for their annual used game sale. Customers bring in games, other customers buy them, and the sellers get store credit. It's a big event in the local gaming community.

But this year, the store adopted a new policy; no games can be sold in shrink wrap.

This is nonsense. It would be going to an action figure sale and being told you had to remove all the action figures you were selling from their original boxes. Taking off the shrink wrap reduces the value of a game by about half. If you go on eBay or similar sites, you'll see sellers advertising games that are in their original shrink wrap.

eta: I brought the games in today but the sale will be tomorrow. So this qualifies as a June mini-rant.

kaylasdad99 05-31-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Nemo (Post 21674417)
I brought some older board games in to a local store for their annual used game sale. Customers bring in games, other customers buy them, and the sellers get store credit. It's a big event in the local gaming community.

But this year, the store adopted a new policy; no games can be sold in shrink wrap.

This is nonsense. It would be going to an action figure sale and being told you had to remove all the action figures you were selling from their original boxes. Taking off the shrink wrap reduces the value of a game by about half. If you go on eBay or similar sites, you'll see sellers advertising games that are in their original shrink wrap.

eta: I brought the games in today but the sale will be tomorrow. So this qualifies as a June mini-rant.

I don’t quite get it. If they’re in brand-new, never-been-opened packaging, I ca see them having more value to a collector, but how would they qualify for inclusion in a used game sale.

Also, in what way are action figures “games?”

Euphonious Polemic 05-31-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 (Post 21674430)
I don’t quite get it. If they’re in brand-new, never-been-opened packaging, I ca see them having more value to a collector, but how would they qualify for inclusion in a used game sale.

Also, if they've never been out of the box, they are actually "Inaction figures"

Little Nemo 05-31-2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 (Post 21674430)

Action figures are not board games. But I figured people would be more familiar with the concept of "mint in box" as it applies to action figures than as it applies to board games. (Jokes about action figures have been made on The Simpsons after all.)

For most people, it's not a collectible issue. But board games often have a lot of individual pieces. Buying a game that's still sealed in its original wrapper means you're getting one with no missing pieces. So old games in their shrink wrap sell for higher prices than old games without.

Telling sellers they had to take off the shrink wrap in order to put games up for sale meant they had to agree to sacrifice a significant portion of the value.

As for the term "used games" I guess it's accurate in the sense that the game has already been bought once, even if it was never opened.

Projammer 05-31-2019 11:58 PM

I'm guessing their trying to avoid people taking games and re-shrinkwrapping them to sell as unopened.

Not that big of a challenge with supplies available on Amazon.

Or if you slip the cashier at the local bulk candy store a couple of bucks to run your game box through their shrink wrapper.

panache45 06-01-2019 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic (Post 21674441)
Also, if they've never been out of the box, they are actually "Inaction figures"

But do we really know what's going on behind all the shrink wrap?

Nava 06-01-2019 06:45 AM

I wonder how many people are trying to watch Good Omens. Other Amazon stuff is working ok, but apparently there's a lot of people trying to watch Good Omens at once or something, it can't evennnnn... Maybe Amazon should try getting some kind of cloud computing service from someone or other when they have a big release :p (hint to Mr Bezos' minions: "The boys" is also going to be pretty big).

Morgyn 06-01-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nava (Post 21674776)
I wonder how many people are trying to watch Good Omens. Other Amazon stuff is working ok, but apparently there's a lot of people trying to watch Good Omens at once or something, it can't evennnnn... Maybe Amazon should try getting some kind of cloud computing service from someone or other when they have a big release :p (hint to Mr Bezos' minions: "The boys" is also going to be pretty big).

I binge watched it starting at about 9 last night. No issues watching it at all.

(Mind you, today I am completely wiped out. Once my cats finish breakfast I'm going to grab some fast food and then probably go to sleep again.)

Nava 06-01-2019 11:59 AM

Your plans for today give perfect meaning to caturday :D

Jeep's Phoenix 06-01-2019 05:18 PM

I'm unpacking from vacation, and I realized that I apparently didn't get home with a tiny pin I bought. :( There's a chance I put it in a box of stuff that was shipped home (we flew), but I don't remember putting it in there. It wasn't expensive, but it was cute, dammit. :(

Ulf the Unwashed 06-01-2019 05:20 PM

Minor irritation, but I thought I'd share.

My wife was watching some show about food. The show gave some statistic about the number of families that eat fast food regularly. They then cut to one of their talking heads, a food writer, who put on her frowny face and said, "Now is that pleasure...or is it addiction?"

Then they said something about the number of adults who drink a glass of wine with dinner and cut to a different person, who put on his own frowny face and said, "Now is that pleasure...or is it addiction?"

And then mentioned the number of people who drink a cup of coffee each morning and cut to yet a third talking head, who said "Now is that pleasure...or is it addiction?"

Well, okay, I lied about the last two. It was only the fast food one that qualified as likely addiction. I'm sure they couldn't have found any food writers who would have considered a glass of wine or a cup of coffee to be some sign of addiction. I just hate it when people get all high and mighty about one behavior and let the same behavior slide in a somewhat different context.

There. Told you it was minor.

digs 06-01-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed (Post 21675468)
My wife was watching some show about food. The show gave some statistic about the number of families that eat fast food regularly. They then cut to one of their talking heads, a food writer, who put on her frowny face and said, "Now is that pleasure...or is it addiction?"

And you posted about a "minor pleasure... or addiction" at 4:20...

But I'm sure that now that you've had your McNuggets and fries you're all better.

Ulf the Unwashed 06-01-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digs (Post 21675494)

But I'm sure that now that you've had your McNuggets and fries you're all better.

Ha! That's funny. Though my post shows up at as 3:20...

As Pooh so aptly put it, "Time for a little something."

cochrane 06-01-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digs (Post 21675494)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed (Post 21675585)
Ha! That's funny. Though my post shows up at as 3:20...

As Pooh so aptly put it, "Time for a little something."

To paraphrase Jimmy Buffet, it's 4:20 somewhere. :D

Locrian 06-02-2019 05:14 PM

Leaving from NJ/PHI today, and as packing the car, text says my flight is CANCELLED!!

American Airlines. Evidently their mechanics strike may not be settled. :rolleyes:

They gave me only two options for early flight tomorrow (non-stop). But I have to work on an online project tomorrow morning at a specific time. These flights wouldn't get me back until after lunch. :(

So good part is, I get another day with Mom, don't need to rush out the door and can hit my favorite place where I used to work for drinks, food and a basketball game.

BAD news is the crazy runaround I had to do. Since I couldn't take the recommended flights, I needed an operator. "Your expected wait is 93 minutes." Nope. I opted for a call back and kept trying. They called me back in 30 mins. Rebooked flight, BUT... can't rebook my seat on the phone that I paid extra for. Why? The guy can tell me how many seats are available (there were a lot then,) but I have to wait for a certain email, log on, select seats, etc. For all I know, everybody who was on my flight is booking the same flight as me. Who the hell knows?

Finally got a decent seat at additional charge (of course).

SurrenderDorothy 06-02-2019 07:53 PM

So let me tell you my vermin saga.

A few months ago, fairly shortly after I moved here, I found that my bread had been compromised. Something had chewed on it. My first thought, of course, was mice. My bread, along with nearly all the rest of my food, is kept in a cupboard above the counter. So I got up on a chair and looked/felt around the inside of the cupboard for any cracks or holes or any other evidence of mice, hoping to nip that problem in the bud. There was none, so I kind of shrugged and forgot about it. A month or so later... same thing. I go to grab some bread and there are little holes in the packaging. So I think: bugs? At this point, I figure if I had mice, I would know it. I would hear them moving around or find mouse poop somewhere. Also, all my other food appears to be intact. So I decide maybe it's just a coincidence and the bread bag got caught on something at some point , but resolve to watch for bugs or other signs of trouble.
But again, a couple weeks ago- my last bagel was violated. There appeared to be clear tooth marks in it. Hmm. Bugs? RATS? At that point, I was certain something was getting into my bread and was worrying through the possibilities.
Then, last week, I foolishly left a package of pita bread with one pita left on the table instead of putting it away. When I went to get the pita out, it was half-eaten. The evidence was beginning to build against one particular suspect. I had thought this unlikely in the beginning because the cupboards are so high up and opening them would take some impressive gymnastics.
Until last night, when I caught the villain red-handed. Or red-pawed, as it were. I don't know if he was emboldened by his last pita caper or if he just found the taste of pita so irresistible that he couldn't help himself, but it was the pita that did him in. I was lying on the couch watching the Great British Baking Show and having eating a super healthy dinner of hummus and pita and had yet to summon the energy to put the rest of the food away because that's my life now. So I'm half asleep, letting my brain be soothed by watching Kate from Liverpool get praised for her Genoise sponge and vaguely thinking that, if I'm ever well again, I'm going to make bread... when over the edge of the coffee table, I see a pair of eyes and one-and-a-half ears (he's a T/N/R cat who didn't get released) and then... the little bastard thought he was sneaky pulling that package off the table, but it scared him when it hit the floor and he took off, sans pita.

So the good news is that I don't have rats. The only infestation I have is the one I already knew about. The bad news is hat I have to come up with a more secure bread solution and also that the cat(s) can apparently get into the cabinet. They're not usually garbage can cats, which is part of why I had dismissed the cat idea before. I don't see them get on the counter or into cabinets, I have a bag of cat treats on the counter that they never touch even though they love cat treats, and they almost never beg for human food or get into things they're not supposed to have (with the exception of stealing my ponytail holders and either moving them around the house or drowning them in their water bowl). But still, I'll have to be more vigilant.

I did, by the way, share just a little bit of pita bread with the little guy. I'm possibly too lenient a cat mommy. I would never share human food with dogs, but the cats are semiferal so, in the absence of any straight-up friendly cats who will sit in my lap and purr, I have to pretend that begging for food means that they love me or else I never get any love at all. So I'll indulge them a little if it makes them trust me a bit more and means I get to pet them.

romansperson 06-02-2019 08:12 PM

Child-resistant locks should keep your cats out of the cabinets. They're cheap and available at any big-box store (Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.)

Beckdawrek 06-02-2019 08:18 PM

So, How are you feeling Dorothy?

Beckdawrek 06-02-2019 09:52 PM

You guys have heard about the 2 lovely, high bred, uber expensive Siamese cats that allow me to survive and sleep under their roof, right?
I was laying on my bathroom floor (You don't wanna know, why) I looked over and saw a big spider in the space behind the pedestal sink. I jumped up and ran out and looked back in. Oops, left my phone. I tiptoed back in and got it, ran out again. Slammed the door. Took off my shirt and stuffed it under the door. I'm so proud of myself. Everything's under control. I'll just have to schlepp upstairs to pee. I can do that.
Oops, nekkid! I go in the laundry room to get a shirt out of the dryer. Flashback to cats. They love the dryer. They have a bed there. I reach to open the dryer and Bear is out of bed in an instant looking at my hand in midair. I look in his beautiful blue eyes and I see a spark of evil. I move my hand closer, I swear he growled. Little closer and whack! Slap on top of my wrist. No blood. Hands to hips, I give him a stern 'No', he meows a warning back. I move my hand back into view. This time a definite growly hiss. I say 'No' and reach for the door handle, oh shit, forearm strike. There's blood. I grab a towel out of the dryer and sling it over his head, grab an arm load of laundry and run. T-shirt on. Arm bandaided. I'll live this time, to fight another day.
Nice cup of tea would be great. I put the kettle on get mug and teabag ready. I saw movement out the corner of my eye. I look at the bathroom door securely closed, on top is a cat going through the OPENED transom. Gah!!!
Bear is sitting on the ledge just inside the transom. I never was safe from the spider. I have to go in the bathroom to shoo Bear away and shut the transom. I heard a low growly hiss. My arm pains me, and Jesus Pete, the kettle whistles. When I looked back through the exterior door I ran thru I see beautiful blue eyes, sparkling.

Nava 06-03-2019 04:10 AM

Spellcheckers and grammar checkers. Ah, the joys of trying to get everybody to write the same way, every document to look the same.

I'm so glad Shakespeare, Twain et al didn't have no fuckin' grammar checker, because if it was for this shit which tells me that the passive voice should be removed we would never have had The Merchant of Venice, A Midsummer's Night or Those Two Idjits From Verona. I'm feeling tempted to start copy-pasting chunks of A Connecticut Yankee to see if I can get Word to have a stroke. Wonder what would it think about Dickens... run-on sentences anybody?

Riemann 06-03-2019 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nava (Post 21677429)
I'm so glad Shakespeare, Twain et al didn't have no fuckin' grammar checker, because if it was for this shit which tells me that the passive voice should be removed we would never have had The Merchant of Venice, A Midsummer's Night or Those Two Idjits From Verona. I'm feeling tempted to start copy-pasting chunks of A Connecticut Yankee to see if I can get Word to have a stroke. Wonder what would it think about Dickens... run-on sentences anybody?

If there were no silly rules, we wouldn't know how beautifully they are broken in great writing. (I'm pretty sure that's a paraphrase of either Picasso or Sam Seaborn.)

Nava 06-03-2019 07:32 AM

But a lot of those "rules" are stuff which came from some 4th-grade teacher, or from a national curriculum, or from too many people not being awake in grammar class. "Passive voice, consider removing" would have every scientific publication written in English for more than 200 years removed. They're not merely silly, they're in contradiction with the whole corpus linguistic of English.

Morgyn 06-03-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nava (Post 21677429)
Spellcheckers and grammar checkers. Ah, the joys of trying to get everybody to write the same way, every document to look the same.

Give it Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. Far shorter, and guaranteed to give any grammar checker fits.

overlyverbose 06-03-2019 10:01 AM

I hate when the fact that I'm getting older is thrown in my face, and it's happening more and more lately. This weekend, my daughter had a soccer tournament a couple of hours away. Like idiots, us parents decided we should drive out and come home Saturday night, only to drive back out there Sunday morning and back again. So about 8 hours in the car for a grand total of 1.5 hours of play. We drove out Saturday morning and got back again around 8 at night, only to drive out at 8 Sunday. We come back Sunday afternoon and go straight to our daughters' softball game (they're all on the same team and changed in the car), then my son has a baseball game at the same field immediately after that ended, so I go to that. Then I go to a friend's daughter's graduation party and get home and hang out with my son and husband for a while (I hardly saw him or my husband all weekend).

I didn't have a single alcoholic beverage all weekend. I managed to walk more than 5 miles each day and was asleep before 11 both days. But I still look and feel absolutely trashed, like I've been on a complete and total bender. What the fuck, body? This used to be nothing for you - what the hell happened?! It's like I hit 40 and every subsequent year another door falls off the jalopy.

Nava 06-03-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgyn (Post 21677577)
Give it Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. Far shorter, and guaranteed to give any grammar checker fits.

Oh, I don't know, I kind of like this itty bitty little wee one for a tree analysis

It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

aruvqan 06-03-2019 12:17 PM

micro rant ... I have inherited my parents house in western NY, just south of Rochester. Back in the early 7os my dad was friends with a guy whos hobby was tracking down American Chestnut trees. I happen to have one in my yard thanks to him. So, the arborist I just hired to deal with my collection of pre-furniture [just joking, nothing is getting chopped down] informs me it is one of an incredibly small number of these trees that is not in an arboretum. There is a registry I could list it in, BUT people tend to find the GPS coordinates, go visit the trees and steal cutting, which can kill a tree if it is not done properly. Crap on a stick, I am proud of having the damned tree, I think it is way fucking cool I have such a rare tree and would love to list it but I don't want people tromping all over my damned yard and damaging my poor tree by stealing cuttings.

I did give my arborist permission to bring students of his to see it if they need something [people write theses about them, go figure. I can't keep an air fern alive and people base their entire career around stuff I can kill with my black thumb!]

I did have a friend suggest that I could learn the proper way to take and propogate cuttings, and make money on the side selling them ... apparently most of the 'american chestnut' trees offered online by random nurseries are chinese or chinese/american cross. I could actually see myself with a small tree farm, I think it would be sort of neat.

Gatopescado 06-03-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21677064)

What are you laughing about, Mary???

digs 06-03-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aruvqan (Post 21677992)
There is a registry I could list it in, BUT people tend to find the GPS coordinates, go visit the trees and steal cutting, which can kill a tree if it is not done properly... would love to list it but I don't want people tromping all over my damned yard and damaging my poor tree by stealing cuttings...

I would do whatever I could to honor the tree.

And come to think of it, your privacy.

I think those are much more conducive to your quality of life than whatever money or fame you could acquire by publicizing the tree and selling parts of it.

adhemar 06-03-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digs (Post 21678668)
I would do whatever I could to honor the tree.

And come to think of it, your privacy.

I think those are much more conducive to your quality of life than whatever money or fame you could acquire by publicizing the tree and selling parts of it.

I think it is cool that you have an American chestnut tree. I would say do NOT publish anything that would allow anyone to know where it is located. We have too many folks who delight in destroying things and if they could track it down would cut it down maybe for themselves or just because. look at the beehives that have been destroyed for no reason.

If you could figure out how to do cuttings without damaging the original that would be so cool to bring it back from the brink of extinction.

SmellMyWort 06-03-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty (Post 21673961)
The level of selfishness displayed by a select few individuals in this city is appalling. Trying to get a share-bike scooter can be quite the adventure. First two I reserved using the nifty app happened to be sans chains. Fine, the app tells me where the next one is so I figure, "What, one klick? No problem! I'll use a share bike (regular bike, non-electric) to ride to it." Dream on! I passed seven of them, two with no chain and five with personal locks on them. Selfish scum pull that stunt. I did finally get to the electric scooter, but that is not the kind of adventure I dream of.

And don't get me started on the geniuses who pull out of the school gate every morning, turning left (disregarding the clearly visible "no left turn" sign) into oncoming traffic ruing the height of the morning rush hour.

Hum, a squirt of superglue into the mechanism might just teach the personal lock crowd a lesson :D

panache45 06-03-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlyverbose (Post 21677686)
I hate when the fact that I'm getting older is thrown in my face, and it's happening more and more lately.

Heh, get used to it. This problem will increase exponentially. With me, by the time I reached my mid-60s, I was actually "handicapped". :eek: So much for the Golden Years.

SurrenderDorothy 06-03-2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21677064)

Unjustifiably confident in my abilities to make short crust pies despite never having tried it in my life and being uncertain of whether or not I've ever actually eaten one.

Also... a little weaker every day. PT said today I must use a walker, not a cane (which I had thought was a fair compromise- a little less conspicuous and unwieldy. But apparently we're not actually negotiating here.) and should consider a wheelchair, at least for going out of the house.

I keep formulating this brilliant plan that I'm just going to wake up the next day and just fake it. Just act like I'm totally fine, all better, no worries, and hide all the problems. Then nobody will see and they'll let me assist with surgery again and I'll get stronger and pretty soon I'll be back to living my life. But then, when it comes down to it, I realize the major flaw in this plan is that it would only work if I were not already doing the best I could and trying my hardest to put on a brave face.

My co-workers make fun of me for the cane already. They don't mean anything by it. It's sort of more good-natured ribbing. I get it. I'm just... permanently not in the mood for it. Maybe I should have a better attitude and wrap my walker in rainbow duct tape or attach flames or a bike bell or something and be a plucky optimist with a great sense of humor and an indomitable spirit, but it turns out my spirit is easily domitable and instead I'm just a crabby greyish lump of depression.

But at least I don't have rats. And could definitely make some mad choux pastry if I really put my mind to it. So that's good. I should watch Project Runway next and become a fashion designer. Or Doctor Who and learn to travel through time.

Beckdawrek 06-03-2019 10:51 PM

Here's wishing you good luck with pies and walkers. Sounds like a country song. I'm pulling for you.:)

digs 06-03-2019 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurrenderDorothy (Post 21679230)
PT said today I must use a walker, not a cane...

I can't wait til I need a walker.

Stay with me here... I come up with complicated scenarios to keep a book (or at least a couple of comics) with me at all times, along with two sketchbooks, pencils and my beloved Sakura Micron 003 markers. A roll of Necco Wafers, a bag of mixed nuts and one of gummy bears.

My current solution is that I've found a great storm jacket with large enough cargo pockets to stash my stash. But now it's getting warm enough that people are starting to notice, and ask why I'm carrying my jacket around.

The other day, it hit 80º and after the third person asked me why I had my jacket tucked under my arm I almost went full George Costanza on them: "Why shouldn't I carry anything I want? I mean, what if a hurricane... Okay, okay, I'll admit it,... I need the pockets! There, pockets! You happy now? I suppoooose I could find a huuuuge fanny pack! Would you be any less embarrassed for me then?"

Into this near-meltdown rolled a friend of my mom's.

With the coolest walker I've ever seen. White on white, 8" chrome rims, pinstriping. A latte in the beverage holder. Nice and tall, so the driver had good posture. A comfy backrest on the ergonometric seat; he raised it and there was... room! (He had a couple of hardcovers in there, a water bottle and snacks)

Everyone was amused by my mobility-storage envy.

Morgyn 06-03-2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digs (Post 21679276)
I can't wait til I need a walker.

Stay with me here... I come up with complicated scenarios to keep a book (or at least a couple of comics) with me at all times, along with two sketchbooks, pencils and my beloved Sakura Micron 003 markers. A roll of Necco Wafers, a bag of mixed nuts and one of gummy bears.

My current solution is that I've found a great storm jacket with large enough cargo pockets to stash my stash. But now it's getting warm enough that people are starting to notice, and ask why I'm carrying my jacket around.

The other day, it hit 80º and after the third person asked me why I had my jacket tucked under my arm I almost went full George Costanza on them: "Why shouldn't I carry anything I want? I mean, what if a hurricane... Okay, okay, I'll admit it,... I need the pockets! There, pockets! You happy now? I suppoooose I could find a huuuuge fanny pack! Would you be any less embarrassed for me then?"

Into this near-meltdown rolled a friend of my mom's.

With the coolest walker I've ever seen. White on white, 8" chrome rims, pinstriping. A latte in the beverage holder. Nice and tall, so the driver had good posture. A comfy backrest on the ergonometric seat; he raised it and there was... room! (He had a couple of hardcovers in there, a water bottle and snacks)

Everyone was amused by my mobility-storage envy.

Maybe a vest with big pockets? (NB: I have never bought one of these, but they look as if the pockets are fairly capacious.)

digs 06-04-2019 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgyn (Post 21679316)
Maybe a vest with big pockets? (NB: I have never bought one of these, but they look as if the pockets are fairly capacious.)

Funny you should mention vests. I have a friend who occasionally dons a fishing vest "for the pockets". He immediately looks ten years older, a foot shorter, retired and on a fixed income.

Dung Beetle 06-04-2019 09:48 AM

I'm having a bad, bad, bad week...well, sorta. I can tell ya it ain't easy.

Last Friday morning, a stray dog climbed over our fence and let us know that he would be staying with us from now on. The vet didn't find a chip and no one in the neighborhood knows anything about this dog, so it appears he is correct. He's the same breed and age as the stray that moved in with us three months ago, so he's practically family already. So now we have four dogs in our bedroom at night, and unfortunately Jack brought his balls with him, so nobody is getting any sleep. That problem will be solved on Thursday, but dang. I'm tired now.

Something else on Thursday...oh yeah. That's the day renovations are supposed to start on our second bathroom, so I guess we'll be having to share the master bath with my 27 year old stepson, who needs to leave for work at 5:30 in the mornings. This is going to be super fun.

kayaker 06-04-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dung Beetle (Post 21679780)
So now we have four dogs in our bedroom at night, and unfortunately Jack brought his balls with him, so nobody is getting any sleep. That problem will be solved on Thursday, but dang. I'm tired now.

Wow. Jack, Hank, the dobermans, and the goats are a cool compilation. Great picture!!

panache45 06-04-2019 11:35 AM

I received a call from my primary doctor's assistant, telling me I need to schedule a physical, and that it't urgent. I have no need for a physical, since I'm seeing so many specialists, and they take care of any problems I have. But I agreed to schedule a physical with my primary doc. It turns out, the next opening she has is January 24th. Yes, she can't see me until January 24th, 2020. I pointed out to the assistant that I wasn't the one requesting the physical, that it was her demand. So, anyway, I'm scheduled for an "urgent" physical next January 24th. :rolleyes:

panache45 06-04-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dung Beetle (Post 21679780)
...and unfortunately Jack brought his balls with him...

Unless Jack's been altered, wouldn't it be given that he brought his balls with him?

Dung Beetle 06-04-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 21679984)
Wow. Jack, Hank, the dobermans, and the goats are a cool compilation. Great picture!!

Well, thank you! It's not so bad, bad, baaaa-ad. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by panache45 (Post 21680057)
Unless Jack's been altered, wouldn't it be given that he brought his balls with him?

Unfortunately. He actually only brought one eye with him when he came into our lives. The name "One-eyed Willy" was proposed, but "One-eyed Jack" seemed less embarrassing to tell to the general public.

aruvqan 06-04-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhemar (Post 21678724)
I think it is cool that you have an American chestnut tree. I would say do NOT publish anything that would allow anyone to know where it is located. We have too many folks who delight in destroying things and if they could track it down would cut it down maybe for themselves or just because. look at the beehives that have been destroyed for no reason.

If you could figure out how to do cuttings without damaging the original that would be so cool to bring it back from the brink of extinction.

Actually there is a whole group dedicated to bringing back the chestnut =) and it is possible to do the proper propagation without killing it thing, I want at least 3 or 4 more chestnut trees, just call me greedy =)

carnivorousplant 06-04-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21679252)
Here's wishing you good luck with pies and walkers. Sounds like a country song. I'm pulling for you.:)

It ain't rainin', and no Mothers are around. Narry a train.
It ain't a country song.