Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Politics & Elections (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   A coronavirus pandemic provides a HUGE opportunity for Democrats (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=890784)

SlackerInc 02-27-2020 08:49 PM

A coronavirus pandemic provides a HUGE opportunity for Democrats
 
https://fortune.com/2020/02/26/coron...cuts-us-trump/
Quote:

The Trump administration recently requested $2.5 billion in emergency funds to prepare the U.S. for a possible widespread outbreak of coronavirus. Critics, though, are pointing out that money might not be necessary if the administration hadn’t spent the past two years largely dismantling government units that were designed to protect against pandemics.
The cuts started in 2018, as the White House focused on eliminating funding to Obama-era disease security programs. In March of that year, Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer, whose job it was to lead the U.S. response in the event of a pandemic, abruptly left the administration and his global health security team was disbanded.
That same year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was forced to slash its efforts to prevent global disease outbreak by 80% as its funding for the program began to run out. The agency, at the time, opted to focus on 10 priority countries and scale back in others, including China
David Axelrod said you should never waste a crisis. Democrats need to make Trump and McConnell pay DEARLY for this. Just absolutely BURN them to the ground.

This is actually politically perilous for the Republicans in another way as well. Not only would massive loss of American life in the wake of these budget cuts be very damaging politically to them beyond any normal level of political peril, the deaths would come disproportionately from their elderly voter base! I definitely would not want to be in their shoes right now.

Chingon 02-27-2020 08:59 PM

You really want to paint liberals as hoping for a horrible disaster don't you?

Velocity 02-27-2020 09:01 PM

While we're at it, let's root for a recession too.

KarlGauss 02-27-2020 09:08 PM

I think it is biblically ironic that it may take a plague to rid us of Trump's.

octopus 02-27-2020 09:27 PM

Pining for a pandemic with the resulting 10s of millions of deaths, a Great Depression, or a giant comet strike in order to advance one’s political agenda is never a good look. Just my humble opinion.

SlackerInc 02-27-2020 11:21 PM

How am I “pining” for it? :confused: It is happening. Trump and McConnell slashed the budget to prevent and fight it. These are facts. Why would we not nail them to the wall based on these facts? When a president takes the country into an unpopular war, or mishandles a natural disaster like Dubya did with Hurricane Katrina, opponents run against him on that basis. Same thing when a president puts kids in cages. That doesn’t mean I’m pining for kids to be put in cages! How is this any different?

Projammer 02-28-2020 12:22 AM

The event has to actually happen for there to be any real powder behind the bullet you want to take Trump down with.

All the examples you used? They weren't hypotheticals.

And the kids in cages thing? That actually started under Obama. Democrats just didn't care until Trump became president and inherited the practice.

Banquet Bear 02-28-2020 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Projammer (Post 22163043)
And the kids in cages thing? That actually started under Obama. Democrats just didn't care until Trump became president and inherited the practice.

...this talking point needs to die a horrible death. Kids in cages did start under Obama. It was bad policy. But Trump didn't merely "inherit" the practice. Under Obama families were not separated, there were limits on how long they could be kept in detention, it was a completely different thing. Under Trump we don't know how many children have been detained. We don't know where many of them are, many have been separated from families and sent to other sides of the country. Its been a disaster. Invoking Obama here is a classic false equivalence.

Banquet Bear 02-28-2020 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Projammer (Post 22163043)
And the kids in cages thing? That actually started under Obama. Democrats just didn't care until Trump became president and inherited the practice.

...this talking point needs to die a horrible death. Kids in cages did start under Obama. It was bad policy. But Trump didn't merely "inherit" the practice. Under Obama families were not separated, there were limits on how long they could be kept in detention, it was a completely different thing. Under Trump we don't know how many children have been detained. We don't know where many of them are, many have been separated from families and sent to other sides of the country. Its been a disaster. Invoking Obama here is a classic false equivalence.

SlackerInc 02-28-2020 02:36 AM

I didn't know this started under Obama, but if families were not separated, it's not really "kids in cages".

Sunny Daze 02-28-2020 02:58 AM

I agree with the OP. Clearly the Corona Virus could become a very bad thing, resulting in millions of deaths worldwide. The current government does not inspire confidence, especially after Trump's been merrily cutting CDC budgets. If the economy loses confidence and slows or crashes during this epidemic, it's not unrealistic to think that Trump might lose the election, regardless of his opponent.

I was going to say that the Democrats shouldn't bother to point out the government's failings in disease control and economic control. On consideration, though, I don't see why Democrats shouldn't mention these issues. If there are millions of deaths in the US alone, and the economy hits the fan, it should be pointed out that Trump's policies directly created the conditions for these things to happen. In fact, it should be hammered on.

Lambasting a dangerous fool for the harm he has caused the US and the world is hardly the same thing as hoping for a disaster and capitalizing on suffering. (I can almost hear the whispers, "Thoughts and Prayers" "It's too soon")

Trump owns this mess. Make him pay for it.

Left Hand of Dorkness 02-28-2020 04:34 AM

As grotesquely phrased as this is, there's a sense in which it's true. Coronavirus presents the first major not-self-inflicted crisis of Trump's administration, in terms of what's affecting the mainland US. (I know that's a lot of qualifications, but this feels qualitatively different, here in the mainland, from things like the Puerto Rico disaster, or Iran's attacks on US bases). Trump's approach so far has been the epidemiological equivalent of a "Nailed it!" meme. He needs to be held accountable for what happens.

One factor that I'm wondering about: how popular, in a few months, will it be to go to enormous, closely-packed political rallies, and how will that affect his campaign and presidency?

bob++ 02-28-2020 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocity (Post 22162862)
While we're at it, let's root for a recession too.

Be careful what you wish for:

Quote:

Financial markets suffered a sixth day of losses on Thursday, as traders dumped shares on fears that the spread of coronavirus will hobble the global economy.

In the US, the Dow Jones plunged nearly 1,200 points to lose 4.4%. It was the sharpest points-drop in history.

The S&P 500 ended 4.4% lower, while the Nasdaq dropped 4.6%.

Earlier, London's FTSE 100 finished 3.5% lower, while Japan's Nikkei 225 led Asian losses, falling more than 2%.

The string of declines has pushed indexes in Europe and the US down more than 10% from their recent highs - sending them into so-called "correction" territory.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51664652

SlackerInc 02-28-2020 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny Daze (Post 22163110)
Lambasting a dangerous fool for the harm he has caused the US and the world is hardly the same thing as hoping for a disaster and capitalizing on suffering. (I can almost hear the whispers, "Thoughts and Prayers" "It's too soon")


Precisely! Very well put. I don't know why the response to mass shootings didn't occur to me as a great example. It's always Republicans who want to push this notion that we shouldn't apply politics to a situation that is fundamentally about a failing of government policy--and what is politics for if not that?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness (Post 22163148)
As grotesquely phrased as this is, there's a sense in which it's true. Coronavirus presents the first major not-self-inflicted crisis of Trump's administration, in terms of what's affecting the mainland US. (I know that's a lot of qualifications, but this feels qualitatively different, here in the mainland, from things like the Puerto Rico disaster, or Iran's attacks on US bases). Trump's approach so far has been the epidemiological equivalent of a "Nailed it!" meme. He needs to be held accountable for what happens.

One factor that I'm wondering about: how popular, in a few months, will it be to go to enormous, closely-packed political rallies, and how will that affect his campaign and presidency?


That's a great question, a wrinkle I hadn't thought of. Of course, this will affect our side too, especially if Bernie is the standardbearer.

But what was grotesque about my phrasing? :dubious:

octopus 02-28-2020 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny Daze (Post 22163110)
I agree with the OP. Clearly the Corona Virus could become a very bad thing, resulting in millions of deaths worldwide. The current government does not inspire confidence, especially after Trump's been merrily cutting CDC budgets. If the economy loses confidence and slows or crashes during this epidemic, it's not unrealistic to think that Trump might lose the election, regardless of his opponent.

I was going to say that the Democrats shouldn't bother to point out the government's failings in disease control and economic control. On consideration, though, I don't see why Democrats shouldn't mention these issues. If there are millions of deaths in the US alone, and the economy hits the fan, it should be pointed out that Trump's policies directly created the conditions for these things to happen. In fact, it should be hammered on.

Lambasting a dangerous fool for the harm he has caused the US and the world is hardly the same thing as hoping for a disaster and capitalizing on suffering. (I can almost hear the whispers, "Thoughts and Prayers" "It's too soon")

Trump owns this mess. Make him pay for it.

It’s nonsensical to lay the blame for a virus that comes out of medieval era hygiene and sanitation in China on the US government. Watch some wet market videos and honestly ask yourself what the US has to do with that. Now, if our samples of smallpox ever breaks containment that could be blamed on the government.

KarlGauss 02-28-2020 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopus (Post 22163184)
It’s nonsensical to lay the blame for a virus that comes out of medieval era hygiene and sanitation in China on the US government.

No one is saying that (as I suspect you know).

What people are saying, justifiably, is that Trump's evisceration of the CDC and various health care agencies can only make matters worse.

octopus 02-28-2020 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlGauss (Post 22163194)
No one is saying that (as I suspect you know).

What people are saying, justifiably, is that Trump's evisceration of the CDC and various health care agencies can only make matters worse.

So Trump eviscerated the CDC? By cutting its budget by how much? Surely you have a cite.

RTFirefly 02-28-2020 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob++ (Post 22163159)
Be careful what you wish for:

Falling stock prices won't cause a recession. But if the epidemic reduces consumer spending, or disrupts supply chains, that very well could.

Warren's already been saying we need to start planning to avert the latter as much as possible, in addition to stopping the spread of the disease itself.

RTFirefly 02-28-2020 06:59 AM

Here's something to hang around Trump's neck: his State Department overruled the CDC and flew coronavirus-infected Americans home from Japan, where they'd been quarantined aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship which had turned into a petri dish for the virus.

And it gets worse: here's how a different group of Americans, this group returning from Wuhan, China, was handled:
Quote:

Officials at the Department of Health and Human Services sent more than a dozen workers to receive the first Americans evacuated from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, without proper training for infection control or appropriate protective gear, according to a whistleblower complaint.

The workers did not show symptoms of infection and were not tested for the virus, according to lawyers for the whistleblower, a senior HHS official based in Washington who oversees workers at the Administration for Children and Families, a unit within HHS.
And:
Quote:

About 14 personnel from the Administration for Children and Families, or ACF, were sent to March Air Force base in Riverside County, Calif., and another team of about 13 ACF personnel were sent to Travis Air Force in Solano County, Calif., according to the complaint and the whistleblower’s lawyer, Ari Wilkenfeld. In Solano County this week, the first U.S. patient was confirmed to be infected with coronavirus who did not travel to a region where it is spreading or have known contact with someone diagnosed with the disease.
His people are bringing it back here, and ensuring its spread. This is happening because Trump has decimated his Administration of people with independent expertise, and has replaced them with toadies.

Speaking of which, Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has been told to stop speaking with the public before clearing it with Mike Pence, a man who, as governor of Indiana, had to pray about it awhile before responding to Indiana's biggest HIV outbreak, giving it room to keep spreading.

And Pence just added Mnuchin and Kudlow to his coronavirus response team. Clearly the important thing here is to keep the stock market safe from the coronavirus.

KarlGauss 02-28-2020 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopus (Post 22163204)
So Trump eviscerated the CDC? By cutting its budget by how much? Surely you have a cite.

Shirley you are being disingenuous.

Cite.
Cite.
Cite.

ETA: I said "evisceration of the CDC and various health care agencies"

Velocity 02-28-2020 07:30 AM

There are several reasons why the pandemic may not affect Trump much:

1. If the ENTIRE world is suffering, the world economy (and America's) is bound to go into recession simply because of how interconnected the global economy is. This would be true even if not a single virus illness took place in America itself. There is no way the US economy could stay strong if millions are dying worldwide even under a Democratic president.

2. If the perception takes root that Democrats are inwardly cheering for the virus and economic damage in order that Trump will lose the election (a perception that wouldn't be hard to be believed), it could backfire big time on the D's.

iiandyiiii 02-28-2020 07:35 AM

If the Trump administration totally mismanages this (which seems likely so far, considering how few competents in the administration and how many sycophantic clowns) and millions of Americans get sick (no idea how likely this is, even with the likely mismanagement), with thousands dying, then the media will have made this massively clear and it doesn't seem possible that this wouldn't harm the president politically. That would totally swamp any perception of the Democrats "cheering", IMO.

Shodan 02-28-2020 07:42 AM

Point of clarification - if it does not turn into a pandemic and thousands of Americans dying, that won't be due to Trump, right? Heads you win, tails Trump loses.

Regards,
Shodan

KarlGauss 02-28-2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodan (Post 22163271)
Point of clarification - if it does not turn into a pandemic and thousands of Americans dying, that won't be due to Trump, right? Heads you win, tails Trump loses.

Regards,
Shodan

As if the GOP would not have blamed Obama, and as Trump has already tried to pin on democrats.

RTFirefly 02-28-2020 08:10 AM

Nah, the GOP would have never blamed Obama for something like that.

BeepKillBeep 02-28-2020 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodan (Post 22163271)
Point of clarification - if it does not turn into a pandemic and thousands of Americans dying, that won't be due to Trump, right? Heads you win, tails Trump loses.

Regards,
Shodan

You do realize you can look at the actions or inactions and then reach a conclusion right? Like, if it doesn't spread and no action is required by the administration, then of course, that won't be because of Trump. And if it does spread and there is the usual brand of ineptness from the Trump administration, then yes, he deserves at least part of the blame. And if they take action, and it doesn't spread as much as predicted, then yes, that means he (shockingly) did something right.

What we know is that Trump is intelligent, and profoundly uncurious, and pays little (if no) heed to any experts in his administration. So while I hope that he takes appropriate action, I think it is the far safer prediction is that he forks it up. So far, he has been on that track.

septimus 02-28-2020 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopus (Post 22163204)
So Trump eviscerated the CDC? By cutting its budget by how much? Surely you have a cite.

Where do you get your news from, octopus? Try this source. It's better than what you use, and you won't need your reading-glasses.
I'll await your response, though with unbated breath.

bump 02-28-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopus (Post 22162891)
Pining for a pandemic with the resulting 10s of millions of deaths, a Great Depression, or a giant comet strike in order to advance one’s political agenda is never a good look. Just my humble opinion.

I wouldn't say they should pine for it, but they should absolutely make hay out of the fact that while the CDC and every reputable scientific authority is saying that it's a matter of when, not if the coronavirus will be widespread in the US, we have the President up there like Baghdad Bob saying all sorts of patently untrue nonsense about how we're controlling it so well, we have a vaccine near to testing, and the like.

I'd be hammering the fact home that here we are faced by a crisis that is likely to prove lethal to millions of our fellow citizens, and we're having to deal with this clown who's contradicting his own experts, and do we really want four more years of this BS?

elucidator 02-28-2020 10:54 AM

Well, sure, but there's obvious slander being leveled. Like that stuff about untrained and unprotected workers sent to interview possible virus-exposed Americans returning. Not even the most shit-for-brains clotwit in DC would do that, its simply too incredibly stupid to be believed!

If there were one thing even more likely to encourage the spread of a unknown pathogen, that would be it. Only if it were followed up by loading a passenger jet with a mixture of unexposed and potentially exposed passengers could they possibly do anything more.....wait a tick, getting a message....oh. Well.

We're all gonna die.

On a lighter note, muh-muh-muh my corona!

(Too soon?)

Wesley Clark 02-28-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopus (Post 22162891)
Pining for a pandemic with the resulting 10s of millions of deaths, a Great Depression, or a giant comet strike in order to advance one’s political agenda is never a good look. Just my humble opinion.

Pointing out how the republicans cut billions in funding for disease control so they could fund tax cuts for the rich that didn't create jobs is something democrats need to hammer home each day.

The gross incompetence, lack of concern for the safety and well being of Americans the republicans showed on this issue is something democrats need to pound home.

Procrustus 02-28-2020 11:08 AM

The public at large might be okay with an incompetent buffoon in the White House during times of peace and prosperity, while they might prefer a steadier hand during a crisis. We can hope so, anyway.

racepug 02-28-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bump (Post 22163434)
I wouldn't say they should pine for it, but they should absolutely make hay out of the fact that while the CDC and every reputable scientific authority is saying that it's a matter of when, not if the coronavirus will be widespread in the US, we have the President up there like Baghdad Bob saying all sorts of patently untrue nonsense about how we're controlling it so well, we have a vaccine near to testing, and the like.

I'd be hammering the fact home that here we are faced by a crisis that is likely to prove lethal to millions of our fellow citizens, and we're having to deal with this clown who's contradicting his own experts, and do we really want four more years of this BS?

Precisely. Leave it to conservatives to claim that Democrats are "hoping" for millions of deaths and a downturn in the economy as ways to attack Republicans for their inaction and negligence. Democrats don't need to "hope" for any of those things to happen because Republicans' negligence and inaction allow those very kinds of things to happen.

squeegee 02-28-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopus (Post 22162891)
Pining for a pandemic with the resulting 10s of millions of deaths, a Great Depression, or a giant comet strike in order to advance one’s political agenda is never a good look. Just my humble opinion.

Agree. This thread is making me feel ill, and that's entirely not Trump's fault. Jesus, get a grip people.

I agree with Dr. Nancy Messonnier: an outbreak in the US was inevitable. If incompetence is shown reacting to that outbreak*, by all means criticize it. But seeing it as an opportunity is freakishly ghoulish.

*And yes, what happened in the US with the returnees was incompetent. Go to town.

Inigo Montoya 02-28-2020 11:23 AM

It's an ill wind that blows no good, I guess. It'd be greasy and underhanded for the Dems to make hay with this and the stock market. The alternative is to be classy about it and try and stay above the blame game...and then lose the election and deliver another 4+ years of the orange scourge upon the world. Looks like they're gonna have to burn the village in order to save it.

And who let the cephalopod out of the pit? They running out of garbage down there for it to eat?

BobLibDem 02-28-2020 12:07 PM

This administration has had it pretty lucky with a minimum of catastrophes. Hurricanes here and there that the administration slow-walked when it affected Puerto Rico and wildfires that had Dumb Donald blaming Californians for not raking their forests. Most folks in the heartland were unaffected by these. Even man-made calamities like the tariff-caused squeeze on the farmers have been largely accepted by the common folk and not causing them to abandon the White Nationalist Straight Christian Party (GOP). This will be different. This virus is going to spread throughout the world and the US will not be immune. Everyone is going to know someone who died because of it. Everyone is going to know someone who got laid off or their business shuttered by the slowdown. If your Aunt Gertrude gets killed by corona and your Cousin Joe loses three months pay because his plant can't get parts, you're going to know it. Even if you try to insulate yourself in the Fox Bubble, you're not going to be able to deny it. Then you have to balance that with the inaction, denials, and lies that the administration is going to try to get away with. Unless the administration has a sudden sniff of reality and Mitch McConnell realizes that his job is more than confirming right wing judges, the Republicans are going to come out of it smelling like stinkweed.

Am I rooting for pandemic and recession? No. But if it's going to come anyway, it might just as well come in an election year so that we can restore democracy and the rule of law.

RTFirefly 02-28-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squeegee (Post 22163631)
But seeing it as an opportunity is freakishly ghoulish.

Hey, I'm the reigning SDMB Death Pool champ. I revel in my ghoulishness! :D

muldoonthief 02-28-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racepug (Post 22163621)
Precisely. Leave it to conservatives to claim that Democrats are "hoping" for millions of deaths and a downturn in the economy as ways to attack Republicans for their inaction and negligence. Democrats don't need to "hope" for any of those things to happen because Republicans' negligence and inaction allow those very kinds of things to happen.

It's already happened, BTW. Donny Jr accused Democrats of "hoping it comes here and kills millions of people."

octopus 02-28-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by septimus (Post 22163424)
Where do you get your news from, octopus? Try this source. It's better than what you use, and you won't need your reading-glasses.
I'll await your response, though with unbated breath.

I know the AP is fake news but here it is anyways.

https://apnews.com/d36d6c4de29f4d04beda3db00cb46104

Shodan 02-28-2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muldoonthief (Post 22163771)

Wow - Trump Jr. reads the SDMB. Whodathunk?

Regards,
Shodan

Miller 02-28-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodan (Post 22163271)
Point of clarification - if it does not turn into a pandemic and thousands of Americans dying, that won't be due to Trump, right? Heads you win, tails Trump loses.

Regards,
Shodan

If you get shitfaced drunk and drive home, and manage not to kill anyone, does that validate your decision to drive drunk?

joebuck20 02-28-2020 02:10 PM

Nobody here is wishing for an honest-to-goodness pandemic and/or recession. But the Democrats should hammer Trump and the GOP with extreme prejudice over their handling of this.

The fact that this is even up for discussion really points to one of the core weaknesses of the Democratic Party these days. Do you think the Republicans would hesitate for even a second to exploit this potential crisis for all it was worth if it were happening under a Democratic president's watch? Fuck no.

Instead of always worrying about taking the high road, the Democrats need to learn how to play dirty, because that's what it's going to take to defeat Trump.

joebuck20 02-28-2020 02:11 PM

Double post

ThelmaLou 02-28-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodan (Post 22163896)
Wow - Trump Jr. reads the SDMB. Whodathunk?

Regards,
Shodan

Hell, he probably posts here... under the name....xxx b l u r xxx

Shodan 02-28-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller (Post 22163935)
If you get shitfaced drunk and drive home, and manage not to kill anyone, does that validate your decision to drive drunk?

No.

If you drive home and don't kill anyone, does that prove you were shitfaced drunk?

Regards,
Shodan

Velocity 02-28-2020 02:40 PM

Such a pandemic would likely only carry political clout if most of the rest of the world were doing just fine and America had it bad. But if, a few months from now, Italy has many thousands ill, Germany has many thousands ill, Mexico has many thousands ill, Brazil has many thousands ill, etc., then for America to have many people ill is likely to be perceived as "The whole world's having it and it's impossible for America not to."

ThelmaLou 02-28-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocity (Post 22164007)
Such a pandemic would likely only carry political clout if most of the rest of the world were doing just fine and America had it bad. But if, a few months from now, Italy has many thousands ill, Germany has many thousands ill, Mexico has many thousands ill, Brazil has many thousands ill, etc., then for America to have many people ill is likely to be perceived as "The whole world's having it and it's impossible for America not to."

I dunno... that's a pretty logical way of looking at things. Probably not going to work. Isn't trump supposed to be protecting us from Bad Foreign Things like Mexicans and other brown people (especially children), Mooslims, pregnant women, foreign PhDs who are here to steal jobs from qualified Americans. Foreign diseases are the baddest of foreign things -- trump HATES germs! He's supposed to throw a canopy of protection up over the USofA. Or maybe just throw...up.

Fiddle Peghead 02-28-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodan (Post 22163896)
Wow - Trump Jr. reads the SDMB. Whodathunk?

Regards,
Shodan

Not I. I'm convinced he can't read.

nelliebly 02-28-2020 03:09 PM

The Trump administration did not create the virus, and its spread to the US was probably inevitable. Cutting funding to the CDC, false assurances, putting Pence in charge, and all other stupid decisions: not inevitable. But the notion that this disease will at least and at last break the populace out of its myopic haze and alert it to White House idiocy is unrealistic. Too many people have drunk too much of the Kool-Aid, and they'll grasp any crackpot theory--The Dems are behind it!--rather than accept the painful reality they've been wrong. You can be sure Fox, Breitbart, et al will cast it that way. Furthermore, anyone trying to alert the masses will be accused of making political hay at a time when people are dying.

I'd love to be proven wrong. Please. Give it your best shot.

tim314 02-28-2020 03:14 PM

I don't want a recession, nor do I want a pandemic. The definite human costs of those are worse than any hypothetical political gains.

But, if those things do happen (as seems increasingly likely), the Democrats absolutely should bring it up frequently. They should have been talking about Trump's reckless cuts to the CDC anyway, but all the more so now that those chickens may be coming home to roost.

What's more, Trump has made political hay for years touting economic gains for which he bore little responsibility. If he gets burned politically by an ill-timed recession, that's squarely on him.

ThelmaLou 02-28-2020 03:36 PM

The growing coronavirus recession threat

Quote:

In just a matter of weeks, top economists and investment bank analysts have gone from expecting the coronavirus outbreak to have minimal impact on the U.S. economy to warning that an outright recession may be on the horizon.

What's happening: The spread of confirmed coronavirus cases in Europe, the Middle East and the U.S., and the speed at which they are being discovered has set the table for the outbreak to have a larger and much costlier impact.

Between the lines: The outbreak threatens U.S. consumer-oriented businesses like restaurants, bars and travel, which have held up the economy as business investment has turned negative and the manufacturing sector has fallen into recession, largely as a result of the U.S.-China trade war.
....
Formatting in original.

Anticipating this, trump and the Pubbies start blaming the Dems, Obama, Hillary, etc., in three...two...one...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.