Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Politics & Elections (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Trump: "I don't take responsibility at all" (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=891618)

RTFirefly 03-13-2020 05:22 PM

Trump: "I don't take responsibility at all"

He was speaking specifically about the government's response to COVID-19, but it's been true of his entire Presidency. When has he taken responsibility for anything?

But this responsibility's gonna be hard to dodge. If Obama had left our government a shambles, unable to respond to a crisis like this (which he didn't), he's had three years to build it back up. He's been able to put his people in charge, he's been able to pretty much gut Congressional oversight, and for the first two years of his Presidency, he had a GOP-controlled Congress.

Instead, he's treated the government like his personal toy, and now it's broken and can't do what it needs to do at a time like this. But he doesn't take responsibility for any of it. I guess the buck still stops with Obama. But what's the point of a President who doesn't take responsibility? Anyone can do that - not taking responsibility is easy! Why, I can sit here on my sofa and not take responsibility, with the added advantage of not fucking up the country while I do it.

If he's not going to take responsibility, could we get him to at least temporarily step aside for someone who would? We could use even a month of someone with a clue running the government's response to the coronavirus. I'm thinking Liz Warren would be good.

Elmer J. Fudd 03-13-2020 05:34 PM

Of all the horrible things this president has said, this is probably the one thing that has pissed me off the most. That comment is the very definition of lack of leadership.

orcenio 03-13-2020 05:41 PM

"I just think it's a nasty question,... I dunno anything about it" Corruption, incompetence, and no accountability.

HMS Irruncible 03-13-2020 05:53 PM

I am 99% certain I posted this very same day that the last sentence of Trump's last Presidential address or press conference will be "None of this was my fault." I hope this day is coming sooner than it seems.

steatopygia 03-13-2020 06:03 PM

I hope that "none of this is my fault" is his defense strategy during his corruption trial.

enalzi 03-13-2020 06:06 PM

2020 Campaigns ads should just be a loop of all the times he says "I don't know" or "It's not my fault."

blondebear 03-13-2020 06:13 PM

So, I'm guessing Harry Truman's sign is off in a forgotten corner of the Indiana Jones warehouse?

joebuck20 03-13-2020 06:13 PM

Almost as disgusting was the blatant ass kissing by Pence during that press conference. I thought they were going to have to break out a diamond blade in order to separate his lips from Trump's derriere.

harmonicamoon 03-13-2020 06:39 PM

All I can say is what a tragedy.

And even more tragic is there may be four more years.

Pass the bottle!

Steve MB 03-13-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondebear (Post 22188702)
So, I'm guessing Harry Truman's sign is off in a forgotten corner of the Indiana Jones warehouse?

Nah, it's just been revised to "THE BUCKS STOP HERE".

Snowboarder Bo 03-13-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steatopygia (Post 22188686)
I hope that "none of this is my fault" is his defense strategy during his corruption trial.

Remember how Reagan avoided all consequences by conveniently not remembering anything?

Boycott 03-13-2020 07:43 PM

I remember when Jimmy Carter addressed the nation in the early hours of the morning after an incredibly daring rescue mission for the hostages failed and taking all the responsibility then and there.

Chingon 03-13-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boycott (Post 22188846)
I remember when Jimmy Carter addressed the nation in the early hours of the morning after an incredibly daring rescue mission for the hostages failed and taking all the responsibility then and there.

I remember him not getting re elected and ushering in the beginning of this whole new conservative era of American politics.

harmonicamoon 03-13-2020 08:05 PM

And the stock market rewards him.

bobot 03-13-2020 08:11 PM

Fuck Donald Trump.

Acsenray 03-13-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Possibly the best man ever to hold the office.

Acsenray 03-13-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chingon (Post 22188851)
I remember him not getting re elected and ushering in the beginning of this whole new conservative era of American politics.

That started as far back as 1964, with the initial seeds being planted in the 1930s. The current conservative era is the result of decades of planning by the white supremacist movement to regain power. Carter didn't cause its success.

Paul in Qatar 03-13-2020 09:45 PM

Once again, Andrew Sullivan has nailed it. My goodness he writes well.

JRDelirious 03-13-2020 10:10 PM

Y'know what's really terrible?

Because even in a moderately bad scenario, the vast majority of the population is going to either not be too sick, or of those who are the majority will make a full recovery, afterwards it will only convince his cultists that "y'see? He was RIGHT! It was NOT such a big deal and HE did all right! Oh, some oldsters kicked it but what did ya expect!"

jasg 03-13-2020 11:42 PM

The closing scene in Trump's biopic "Rosebud Not my fault...".

Nonsuch 03-14-2020 12:33 AM

Trump had better hope to whatever god he prays to that this outbreak does burn itself out as soon as he thinks it will. Like enalzi says above, these words are going to haunt him in every Biden and downticket ad this fall. I look forward to Trump explaining them on a debate stage in September -- and likely putting his foot even further into his mouth.

GIGObuster 03-14-2020 12:51 AM

“If all you’ve got is a wall, everything looks like an invasion.”

-Chris Hayes

China Guy 03-14-2020 01:29 AM

And who the hell in the right mind cuts the pandemic team. Mao on a pogo stick, it's insurance. If you don't need it, you're prepared. If you do need it, you can respond. If you're trump/republicans, you cut it 'cause it is big government and you think you can ramp it up on a dime if needed. Morons.

OttoDaFe 03-14-2020 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonsuch (Post 22189128)
Trump had better hope to whatever god he prays to that this outbreak does burn itself out as soon as he thinks it will. Like enalzi says above, these words are going to haunt him in every Biden and downticket ad this fall. I look forward to Trump explaining them on a debate stage in September -- and likely putting his foot even further into his mouth.

If this had been any other President, I would have been absolutely gobsmacked at the tone-deafness of such a statement — particularly when he's up for re-election. The attack ads write themselves.
Quote:

Originally Posted by China Guy (Post 22189150)
And who the hell in the right mind cuts the pandemic team. Mao on a pogo stick, it's insurance. If you don't need it, you're prepared. If you do need it, you can respond. If you're trump/republicans, you cut it 'cause it is big government and you think you can ramp it up on a dime if needed. Morons.

Not to excuse Trump, but it probably wouldn't have made any difference. According to a guest on Maddow who had been a member of the team, its function was to give the President expert advice on the best way to handle something like a pandemic; and we all know that King Cannot is the expertiest expert there can be on all subjects, so attempting to advise him is a fool's errand.

The Tooth 03-14-2020 03:02 AM

I haven't been this impresses with Republican leadership since Bush ignored the daily bulletin that told him bin Laden was going to attack the US then responded to that attack by invading the wrong country.

Leaper 03-14-2020 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRDelirious (Post 22189024)

Because even in a moderately bad scenario, the vast majority of the population is going to either not be too sick, or of those who are the majority will make a full recovery, afterwards it will only convince his cultists that "y'see? He was RIGHT! It was NOT such a big deal and HE did all right! Oh, some oldsters kicked it but what did ya expect!"

It depends what happens when the hospital bills come due and businesses are done laying off and shutting down. Those could be widespread enough to blunt such an effort, at least a bit.

asahi 03-14-2020 08:24 AM

Trump could strip naked, run around on the white house lawn, and take a dump in full view of the public and he'd still get 35-38% of the vote. It's the next 7-10% that needs to hold for him to continue as president.

Bijou Drains 03-14-2020 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asahi (Post 22189397)
Trump could strip naked, run around on the white house lawn, and take a dump in full view of the public and he'd still get 35-38% of the vote. It's the next 7-10% that needs to hold for him to continue as president.

Any Dem or Rep candidate starts out around 40%. There are a few exceptions such as Goldwater in 64 who got 38%. Bush 92 got 37% because Perot got 19%.

RivkahChaya 03-14-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chingon (Post 22188851)

Well, his big mistake was not pulling everyone out of the embassy and bringing them back home, like EVERY SINGLE OTHER COUNTRY WITH AN EMBASSY did. Carter, instead, wanted to make a gesture of trust, and it is in the Guinness book as the biggest backfire in history. No one really knows if the US was initially targeted, as part of a plan, or if the US embassy was the only target left.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acsenray (Post 22188900)
Possibly the best man ever to hold the office.

If you mean that he was a mentsh-- that his personal qualities were admirable above other holders of the office, I'd agree, or at least say, he's in the top 5. I can't speak much to the personal qualities of presidents outside my lifetime, but yeah, Carter is a heck of a human being. IMO, the most decent, and maybe the only decent person since, was Obama. Not that being a decent person is a requirement for being a good president-- I understand that FDR was unfaithful to his wife, and had a few other failings. But if Carter gets an A in being a decent person, then FDR still gets a C+ or a B- (and really, we don't know the details of his marriage, what his wife may have known, condoned, or been involved in herself); Pres. "Grab her pussy" gets an F.

Trump crossed an event horizon a long time ago, that I don't know any other president has crossed. Some, like those who condoned slaughter of the native Americans were pretty awful, and that would be worse in the context of the present, than the things Trump has done (except maybe in the aggregate), but in the context of its own time was sadly normal.

Fiveyearlurker 03-14-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Because he thinks it is like a movie where a pandemic breaks out and you wake the expert (played by Brad Pitt) out of retirement for one last opportunity to save the world.

Acsenray 03-14-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker (Post 22189461)
Because he thinks it is like a movie where a pandemic breaks out and you wake the expert (played by Brad Pitt) out of retirement for one last opportunity to save the world.

No, it's because he literally doesn't care about anything that he can't immediately detect as being about him.

JRDelirious 03-14-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaper (Post 22189258)
It depends what happens when the hospital bills come due and businesses are done laying off and shutting down. Those could be widespread enough to blunt such an effort, at least a bit.

Oh, that will be the fault of Congress not passing the payroll tax cut, you know that's gonna be the line...

Blank Slate 03-14-2020 10:43 AM

What do his supporters tell their kids? Go ahead, lie, cheat, and deny responsibility for your actions, and then you too can be president? Forget baby booms...we're going to have a shithead boom when these kids grow up.

ThelmaLou 03-14-2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker (Post 22189461)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acsenray (Post 22189515)
No, it's because he literally doesn't care about anything that he can't immediately detect as being about him.

He has said many times that he does not plan, he reacts. And we're seeing how well that's working out. :rolleyes:

Horatius 03-14-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acsenray (Post 22189515)

He's the presidential embodiment of guys like this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sex...rter-1.3271124

When it comes to government, taxes, and specifically the lowering of said taxes, is literally the only thing he knows about, or cares about. Will cutting it save taxes? Then do it. None of this nerdy talking about infrastructure and foresight, Poindexter!

Snowboarder Bo 03-14-2020 11:48 AM

I noticed that no one else seems to have noticed that implicit in his denial and the offered excuses is an acknowledgement that the response to this crisis was, indeed, not perfect.

THAT is what should be hammered home: his acknowledgement that his cries of perfection are a lie.

Damuri Ajashi 03-14-2020 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRDelirious (Post 22189024)

In a moderately bad scenario, 100 million people get sick and half a million people die.

Steve MB 03-14-2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

I have a mental image of an ad with rapid-cut clips from Truman's "The Buck Stops Here"*, several others in chronological order (including that one), culminating in Mister "I don't take responsibility at all".

*There may be some earlier ones, at least in audio recordings, but that one is memetic enough to be a good opener.

Northern Piper 03-14-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RivkahChaya (Post 22189445)
Well, his big mistake was not pulling everyone out of the embassy and bringing them back home, like EVERY SINGLE OTHER COUNTRY WITH AN EMBASSY did. Carter, instead, wanted to make a gesture of trust, and it is in the Guinness book as the biggest backfire in history. No one really knows if the US was initially targeted, as part of a plan, or if the US embassy was the only target left

Eh? Other countries didn't withdraw their embassies. Switzerland has maintained its Embassy throughout, and acts for the US. Sweden kept its Embassy open (they now also act for the U.K.). And Canada kept its Embassy open. (You may have heard about that.). Other nations did as well.

As for why the storming of the US Embassy, I think it's pretty clear the US was targeted. When you have the CIA having helped overthrow a democratically elected government and then support an authoritarian monarchy instead, it's pretty clear that it wasn't an accident that the new revolutionaries would target the US. They didn't attack the Swiss or Swedish embassies,countries which coincidentally had not helped overthrow the democratically elected Iranian government. I think cause and effect was pretty clear.

Damuri Ajashi 03-14-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

The folks that want to stop pandemics have policy positions that are not consistent with republican politics. The big one is universal health care for everyone. Free check-ups and free vaccinations nationwide. Ideally add things like paid sick leave to the equation.

IMHO, we should have the same health care available to the public that we make available to convicts.

Lantern 03-14-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar (Post 22188998)
Once again, Andrew Sullivan has nailed it. My goodness he writes well.

Indeed. I think Andrew Sullivan has become the essential writer of this period of American history, something I would have considered highly improbable 15 years ago.

Ezra Klein has a great line which is blowing up on Twitter:
Quote:

"I don't take responsibility at all" is such a huge in-kind donation to the Joe Biden campaign that I wonder if Trump broke campaign finance laws in making it
Yeah I would bet this is going to feature in a bunch of attack ads.

Nonsuch 03-14-2020 01:48 PM

Quote:

And who the hell in the right mind cuts the pandemic team.

A guy who is determined to undermine, up-end or otherwise destroy everything Barack Obama did.

RioRico 03-14-2020 02:17 PM

At least the mammoth plague of locusts probably isn't the fault of this POTUS - although I'm sure some conspiracy theories can be devised. But if he ever says, "I'm not responsible for locusts," then he probably is. Start the inquiry!

guizot 03-14-2020 02:20 PM

To be fair, Trump does take responsibility when good things happen--especially when he had nothing to do with making them happen.

orcenio 03-14-2020 02:28 PM

A few months ago he took credit for the 100th anniversary of Woman's suffrage.

susan 03-14-2020 03:09 PM

Here are the scum who voted nay on the Coronavirus Relief Bill. Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...zA0ddNJHz_fnpU

Bradley Byrne Ala. 1
Andy Biggs Ariz. 5
Debbie Lesko Ariz. 8
Tom McClintock Calif. 4
Ken Buck Colo. 4
Michael Waltz Fla. 6
Greg Steube Fla. 17
Jody B. Hice Ga. 10
Barry Loudermilk Ga. 11
Steve King Iowa 4
Russ Fulcher Idaho 1
Jim Banks Ind. 3
Tom Emmer Minn. 6
Billy Long Mo. 7
Jason Smith Mo. 8
Dan Bishop N.C. 9
Ted Budd N.C. 13
Jim Jordan Ohio 4
Warren Davidson Ohio 8
Kevin Hern Okla. 1
Joe Wilson S.C. 2
Jeff Duncan S.C. 3
William R. Timmons IV S.C. 4
Ralph Norman S.C. 5
Tim Burchett Tenn. 2
Scott DesJarlais Tenn. 4
John W. Rose Tenn. 6
Mark E. Green Tenn. 7
Louie Gohmert Tex. 1
Lance Gooden Tex. 5
Randy Weber Tex. 14
Chip Roy Tex. 21
Michael Cloud Tex. 27
Brian Babin Tex. 36
Ben Cline Va. 6
Bryan Steil Wis. 1
Jim Sensenbrenner Wis. 5
Glenn Grothman Wis. 6
Mike Gallagher Wis. 8
Alex X. Mooney W.Va. 2

bobot 03-14-2020 03:22 PM

Was their problem with it that it ddn't include American taxpayer wall funding dollars?

JRDelirious 03-14-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi (Post 22189686)
In a moderately bad scenario, 100 million people get sick and half a million people die.

"Oh, that's what THEY say! Those are fake statistics, the state Medical Examiners are being very unfair, very disrespectful to the wonderful pharmaceutical industries, saying these people died of Covid, you don't know that, people get sick and die of things, I have very good people, very very good people who tell me it's not so."
and of course other lies his fan club will eagerly swallow.

outlierrn 03-14-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enalzi (Post 22188689)
2020 Campaigns ads should just be a loop of all the times he says "I don't know" or "It's not my fault."

Interposed with clips of him saying 'nobody knows XYZ better than me.'

Skypist 03-14-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Not only that, but the ramping was very slow!
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobot (Post 22189951)
Was their problem with it that it ddn't include American taxpayer wall funding dollars?

Not enough taxpayer money going to corporations.