Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The Big Bang Theory 4/26--The Stag Convergence (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=649732)

Annie-Xmas 04-26-2012 02:56 PM

The Big Bang Theory 4/26--The Stag Convergence

A bachelor party and his sexual past puts Howard's marriage to Bernadette in jeopardy.

johnpost 04-26-2012 07:30 PM

best line.

'this is hot', AFF.

detop 04-26-2012 07:42 PM

Was that a "Hi, Opal" poster behind Raj at the bachelor party ?

Folly 04-27-2012 12:24 AM

I guess Wil Wheaton may actually be better friends with Sheldon now, then Howard.

GuanoLad 04-27-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detop (Post 15007913)
Was that a "Hi, Opal" poster behind Raj at the bachelor party ?

No. And there's no reason why it would be.

Fugazi 04-27-2012 08:22 AM

No. The best line was.. "I'm curious what's bothering you most. The borderline incest, the prostitute, or the group sex with the girl dressed as a children's cartoon."

johnpost 04-27-2012 08:29 AM

another great line was early on when Wil said he can to Howard's party because his other choice was another hot tub party at George Takei's.

silenus 04-27-2012 08:31 AM

Not one of their better episodes. Some character growth from Howard and that's about it. Meh.

johnpost 04-27-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silenus (Post 15009318)
Not one of their better episodes. Some character growth from Howard and that's about it. Meh.

he is turning into a nonHoward. either it will blow up or they will need to do extensive remodeling.

N9IWP 04-27-2012 11:03 AM

so, anyone find bernadettemary-annrostenkowski-wolowitz.com?
(I tried a few variations and didn't find anything)

Brian

Lightnin' 04-27-2012 11:19 AM

"Oh, Internet. This is so going all over you."

Man, Wil Wheaton nails lines like that.

TriPolar 04-27-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnpost (Post 15009468)
he is turning into a nonHoward. either it will blow up or they will need to do extensive remodeling.

There's nothing worse for comedy than character development.

silenus 04-27-2012 11:39 AM

Did anybody get a good look at Wil's shirt? I didn't quite catch the design, but I think I have seen it somewhere.

Oakminster 04-27-2012 11:39 AM

I haven't seen many of the current season episodes. Are Leonard and Penny back together?

silenus 04-27-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oakminster (Post 15009957)
I haven't seen many of the current season episodes. Are Leonard and Penny back together?

They are beta-testing a new relationship.

Robot Arm 04-27-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oakminster (Post 15009957)

I somehow missed the one where they reconciled with Wil Wheaton.

silenus 04-27-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robot Arm (Post 15009991)

"The Russian Rocket Reaction" Episode 5 of this season. Sheldon's new mortal enemy is
SPOILER:
Brent Spiner.

Drunky Smurf 04-27-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robot Arm (Post 15009991)

Spoilered just in case.
SPOILER:
The gang went to a party at Wils house and Wil pulls out his very last Wesley Crusher action figure and then signs it and gives it to Sheldon. Just then, Brent Spiner walks up and grabs it out of Sheldons hand and opens it up and then says somethiing to Wil like, "Hey remember when we used to make these look like they jerking off?" Sheldon then tells Brent that he is now on his enemies list and Brent tries to make up for it by telling Sheldon he has a Data action figure in his trunk and that he'll get it and sign it for Sheldon.

Misnomer 04-27-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silenus (Post 15009955)
Did anybody get a good look at Wil's shirt? I didn't quite catch the design, but I think I have seen it somewhere.

I didn't get a good look, but I think it's one of his: at first I thought that maybe it was a The Guild t-shirt, but I could swear that I saw "WWDN" on it...

Sir T-Cups 04-27-2012 03:30 PM

To me it started off a bit bland, but I'm a sap so I liked the ending.

Not very funny though....

GuanoLad 04-27-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silenus (Post 15009955)

It's the Wil Wheaton dot Net Family Crest.

silenus 04-27-2012 07:01 PM

Kewl! I thought I'd seen it somewhere before.

adhemar 04-28-2012 10:46 AM

so when Bernagette said thather ancestors and Howards ancestors were neighbors in Poland is the assumption that they were on opposite sides? Or that both were persecuted? Or something else I amcluless about?

silenus 04-28-2012 11:00 AM

That they were on opposite sides. Nazi/Jewish would be my assumption, but any Christian/Jewish conflict would also serve. There have been so many in Polish history.

Larry Mudd 04-28-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhemar (Post 15012792)
so when Bernagette said thather ancestors and Howards ancestors were neighbors in Poland is the assumption that they were on opposite sides?

It's established that Bernadette's father is extremely right wing and has some anti-semitic tendencies - presumably it's an old family trait.

Andy L 04-28-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhemar (Post 15012792)
so when Bernagette said thather ancestors and Howards ancestors were neighbors in Poland is the assumption that they were on opposite sides? Or that both were persecuted? Or something else I amcluless about?

Persecution of Jews was endemic in Poland - Bernadette's ancestors would have ignored the persecution or participated in it.

asterion 04-28-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy L (Post 15012863)
Persecution of Jews was endemic in Poland - Bernadette's ancestors would have ignored the persecution or participated in it.

That's what I assumed. An unspecified pogrom or two. It's all the explanation the joke really needs.

Sampiro 04-28-2012 11:46 PM

There have been several lines about Stuart's comic book shop being in dire straights. I wonder if Sheldon or another member of the gang is going to become a partner in it. (Sheldon, we know from past episodes, has a lot of cash.)

Joey P 04-29-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sampiro (Post 15014312)
There have been several lines about Stuart's comic book shop being in dire straights. I wonder if Sheldon or another member of the gang is going to become a partner in it. (Sheldon, we know from past episodes, has a lot of cash.)

I don't think Sheldon being a partner would be all that funny, we've seen that kind of thing before so we don't need to see it again. I think we all know how it'll turn out.
Besides, unless Stuart's been doing a poor job managing the business, throwing more money at it without changing anything to get customers in the door is just a waste of money. If Wil Wheaton wanted to come on board, his shear presence would attract customers (doesn't Keven Smith own a comic book store).
With how desperate Stuart was, I'm surprised he didn't hit up Wil to come down to the store for something promotional. Sign some stuff, make an appearance, something.

johnpost 04-29-2012 07:56 AM

Stuart asking people to buy his watch is immediately funny. asking Wil for help is sensible.

who knows where it could go.

GuanoLad 04-29-2012 08:23 AM

You guys would write lousy sitcoms.

Joey P 04-29-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuanoLad (Post 15014730)
You guys would write lousy sitcoms.

Hey now, at least I wasn't one of the people suggesting they call the police instead of running away when the bully was in the apartment.

Alternatively: That's why I don't write sitcoms.

Lust4Life 05-01-2012 08:23 AM

As to W.W. like everyone else I loathed him in his Wesley Crusher days, but this darkside character of his is brilliant.

I'll bet he has a great deal of fun playing an evil version of himself .

silenus 05-01-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lust4Life (Post 15020779)
As to W.W. like everyone else I loathed him in his Wesley Crusher days, but this darkside character of his is brilliant.

He does. Follow him on Twitter or check out his blog for reports from the set. Evil Wil is his dream character.

gytalf2000 05-01-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lust4Life (Post 15020779)

I am actually hoping for a falling out between Sheldon and Wil, so that he can get back to his "Evil Wil Wheaton" persona.

Of course, I should probably give Brent Spiner a chance to be Sheldon's "celebrity nemesis". He might do pretty well in the role!

obfusciatrist 05-01-2012 10:25 AM

I feel bad. I like Wil Wheaton as a person and feel bad for how personal the hatred of Wesley Crusher got back in the day.

But he really is a horrible actor and I don't like him coming on screen, often just as a gimmick for a show to wave its geek flag.

Sister Vigilante 05-01-2012 12:06 PM

I like Wil too and feel the same. But now he's got that neverending smirk, even though he's supposed to be playing himself being happy.

He's been on Eureka a few times, not as himself, but as the same kind of ass he was originally in BBT.

well he's back 05-01-2012 12:12 PM

Hmm. These comments on Wheaton make me wonder how easy it really is to play yourself. It's not like the Director is going to tell you you're interpreting yourself incorrectly (though the Director should tell you if what you are doing is wrong for the particular scene).

garygnu 05-01-2012 12:47 PM

Wil is a little less funny now than as Evil Wil, but I still like the character. It's a little like "TV's Tim Stack" from My Name is Earl, but I'd rather see a TV version of "Neil Patrick Harris" from Harold & Kumar.

DSeid 05-01-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Similar to a story about Ed Koch when he was mayor of NY: Allegedly walking with the Grand Marshall down the street in the Ukrainian Day parade - "Ah. Just like our grandparents in the old country! Only then my grandfather was up the street and yours was back a bit running after him with a pitchfork."

adhemar 05-01-2012 08:42 PM

her ancestors could have been Jewish as well, I have Jewish ancestors but none of us are of that faith anymore.

Folly 05-01-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silenus (Post 15020814)
He does. Follow him on Twitter or check out his blog for reports from the set. Evil Wil is his dream character.

I don't suppose he actually tweeted the video he was supposedly recording the night the episode aired? That would actually be pretty cool.

GuanoLad 05-01-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Folly (Post 15023957)
I don't suppose he actually tweeted the video he was supposedly recording the night the episode aired?

It was a prop phone, and an iPhone whereas Real Wil uses an Android, so there was no recording available for him to share.

Folly 05-02-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuanoLad (Post 15024025)
It was a prop phone, and an iPhone whereas Real Wil uses an Android, so there was no recording available for him to share.

I was thinking as a gimmick with the show's blessing. Oh well, guess not. :)

fubaha 05-08-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

It's ignorant to say that persecution of Jews was endemic in Poland. There were over 3.4 million Jews in Poland (almost 10% of the population) at the beginning of Word War II. This is 15 times more than in France, 10 times more than in Germany and almost 60 times more than in Italy. One hundred thirty thousand soldiers of Jewish descent served in the Polish Army at the outbreak of the Second World War, thus being among the first to launch armed resistance against the Nazi Germany. The numbers do not lend themselves to a country where prosecution is or was endemic.

The whole The Big Bang Theory comment is vulgar in its insinuation that somehow Poles were responsible for killing of their neighbors or (by extension) mass killing of Jews during World War II. What makes it worse is that over 6 million Poles (half of which were Jewish) were killed during WWII. While there were random killings of Jews by collaborators in Poland (including Jewish collaborators) as there were in all of Europe during WWII, Polish citizens have the world’s highest count of individuals awarded medals of Righteous among the Nations, given by the State of Israel to non-Jews who saved Jews from extermination during the Holocaust. Stop the ignorance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_..._the_Holocaust
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_...ng_the_Nations

garygnu 05-08-2012 06:01 PM

You signed up here just to post that?

silenus 05-08-2012 06:04 PM

Of course he did. His type always do. He will either never come back or go off on a screed, frothing at the mouth and flinging spittle all over his monitor until he gets banned, sometime arouns 7pm today.

TriPolar 05-08-2012 06:16 PM

Probably a GermanicPride sock trying to infiltrate in disguise.

garygnu 05-08-2012 07:07 PM

So, anybody know any good dumb-Polack jokes? I haven't heard any since the 80s.

ftg 05-09-2012 08:58 AM

Yeah, the Poles really opened up their hearts to Jewish people after WWII.