Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What are the itty-bitty bits you love in certain songs? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=872669)

The wind of my soul 03-22-2019 12:28 PM

Reading through these responses made me think of another one. In Van Halen's "Why Can't This Be Love," I love the part right before the chorus at 1:55 and 2:52 where Sammy yells out "Whew!" It's so fun to sing (well, yell) along to! Link

ZonexandScout 03-22-2019 06:59 PM

This is going to sound corny as heck, but I love the way that Justin Hayward drops his voice an octave at the end of "Your Wildest Dreams" just for the last repetition of the line. It sounds like the DJ started singing along with the song on the outro. I wait for it every time I hear the song.

Yorkshire Pudding 03-22-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas (Post 21549241)
Fleetwood Mac: On the first line of the chorus, the female voices sing "You can go your own way," and the man kicks in "GO YOUR OWN WAY." I love the way he sings it.

With you all the way.

Yorkshire Pudding 03-22-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Espaces Du Sommeil (Post 21547095)
a cellist's fingertips tapping the fingerboard when playing. Sexy.

Almost impossibly so. Like it's the definition of sexy. Despite the fact that my mother-in-law is a cellist...

*scrubs eyes with wire brush*

Annie-Xmas 03-23-2019 10:11 AM

Another Queen One from "Crazy Little Thing Called Love": When Mercury sings the final chorus "Until I'm ready" and there's the response "Ready Freddie".

ExTank 03-23-2019 10:34 AM

Dire Strait's Industrial Disease has this snippet of verse: "Two men say they're Jesus; one of them must be wrong..."

Mark Knopfler's deadpan delivery of the second part just kills me every time I hear it.

flaming yawn 03-23-2019 10:48 AM

the end of Billy Joels "it's still rock n roll to me" the very end you hear whooo hoooo!

Dolores Reborn 03-23-2019 12:46 PM

The little yodel in the song Amie.

Crafter_Man 03-23-2019 01:12 PM

In the song I'm the Slime by Frank Zappa, a single chord on a keyboard is played at the exact moment Frank says the word "destined." It is just so perfect. It occurs at exactly 1:10 in the link.

In Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin, there is a very brief "sigh" by Robert Plant before the song starts. It is difficult to hear, and I would estimate it lasts less than 0.2 seconds. I also love how you can hear very faint echos of Plant's voice between 4:08 to 4:12 in the background. (Not sure if that was intentional or tape "bleed through.")

RealityChuck 03-23-2019 04:00 PM

In the Greatful Dead's "Uncle John's Band," the group sings the chorus a capella. But there's a one measure where they stop singing and all you can hear is a very faint tapping of the beat before they resume. I love that.

LLCoolL 03-24-2019 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder (Post 21546569)
The two mini bass solos in the Beatles' "I'll Cry Instead" make that song for me. Without those two little bits, the song would be largely forgettable, imo.

If he's singing over the bass line, is it really a 'solo'?

UltraVires 03-24-2019 03:45 AM

The guitar riff in Boston's "More Than A Feeling." It really should be illegal to play in the car because when I look down I am doing 87mph.

Jack Batty 03-24-2019 06:05 AM

A few ...

David Gilmour's pick-squeal leading into the second solo on Comfortably Numb. Gives me goose-bumps. At about 4:31 but I gave you some of the buildup.

In The Simple Minds' Don't You Forget About Me, there's a bass-drumish breakdown in the middle of the song that ramps up with a rolling snare/high-hat drum fill before busting back into the song. In the middle of the drum fill there's a lonely high-hat hit that always makes my day. The breakdown starts at about 3:13 and the high-hat hit is at about 3:43

And one that's hard to link to the examples but go listen to the tune and you'll dig my jive. In Elvis Costello's Brilliant Mistake there is a simple drum fill leading into each chorus that is subtly different at each instance and it absolutely makes the song for me.

Jack Batty 03-24-2019 06:30 AM

I thought of another slightly open high-hat hit that grabs me every time.

Eric Clapton's version of I Shot the Sheriff. Leading into the third chorus the is a break where the drums drop out and it's just the Hammond ringing out. Then the drum fill comes in, a simple four beat hit, that fourth beat being the high-hat I love so much (there is a snare hit too so it's not lone, but still). Break starts at about 2:35, high-hat at about 2:40.

Jack Batty 03-24-2019 06:45 AM

Edits to above (I'm sloppy when it's early):

It's a bass drum hit not a snare hit in I Shot the Sheriff

The breakdown in Don't You Forget About Me starts at 3:30 not 3:13.

Again, apologies for the sloppy posting.

LLCoolL 03-24-2019 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labtrash (Post 21546004)
I listen for "squeaks" from the re-positioning of the guitarist's fingers. Is there a musical term for this?

Notable squeaky songs would be Wish You Were Here, and Every Breath You Take. Lots more, but those are two of my favorites.

Yep, I generally enjoy that. Other examples:
  • Rock'n Me by Steve Miller - right from the beginning of the track
  • Burnin' for You by Blue Oyster Cult - in the chorus while they're singing "Burning for you..."
Another example I'm almost reluctant to mention: in "By Your Side" by Sade, there are some very jarring squeaks, which I somehow never noticed until someone pointed them out. Now I can't unhear them, and they've ruined the mood of the song for me. :(

LLCoolL 03-24-2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

I listen for "squeaks" from the re-positioning of the guitarist's fingers. Is there a musical term for this? ......

For some reason, this reminded me of "Don't Look Back" (title track) by Boston. In the bridge, the guitarist is playing the song's main riffs at a slower tempo with a bit less distortion. During little pauses between chord changes, he makes a scratching sound. (I presume he's striking the strings but holding them down somehow to prevent them ringing.) It's a very cool effect. Occurs a few times between about 2:37 to 2:52:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VPLOVJ0u94

Jack Batty 03-24-2019 07:15 AM

Palm muting. You mute the strings with the meat of the palm on your strum hand, essentially (it's a bit of an art). That's were you get the chick-a-chicks.

Blank Slate 03-24-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLCoolL (Post 21554135)
Another example I'm almost reluctant to mention: in "By Your Side" by Sade, there are some very jarring squeaks, which I somehow never noticed until someone pointed them out. Now I can't unhear them, and they've ruined the mood of the song for me. :(

I think those might have been deliberate or even added later. They make an interesting counterpoint.

I always notice the squeaks in the chorus of Open Letter to a Landlord by Living Colour. Unpretty by TLC alos has a lot of guitar squeak.

diggerwam 03-24-2019 10:02 AM

White stripes cover of "I don't know what to do with myself" Jack has a little gasp right before the final chorus kicks in. Awesome addition to the song.

TreacherousCretin 03-24-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLCoolL (Post 21554023)
If he's singing over the bass line, is it really a 'solo'?

No. And even less so when it's John singing over Paul's bass line. But...I agree that Paul's bass does make I'll Cry Instead a better song.

LLCoolL 03-25-2019 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Batty (Post 21554138)
Palm muting. You mute the strings with the meat of the palm on your strum hand, essentially (it's a bit of an art). That's were you get the chick-a-chicks.

So they are strumming the strings and palming them with the same hand at the same time? Sounds difficult.

Johanna 03-25-2019 06:15 AM

Bowie harmonizing with himself in "Sound and Vision" in the second half of the line

"Don't you wonder sometimes... 'bout sound and vision"

Every note and harmony is a perfection of musical bliss.

carlb 03-25-2019 08:11 AM

There are a lot of moments I love in Steely Dan's My Old School, but I think my favorite is the drum fill at 2:57.

Or maybe the horns at 3:39.

Or the way the last line of the last chorus is sung differently than all the rest (at 4:27)

Or the way the drummer switches from the tasteful, jazzy rhythms he's been using throughout the song to a straight 1-2-3-4 beat at 5:09

Instrumentally, I think it's my favorite song of theirs. So much to listen for, and I swear I hear something new each time.

KneadToKnow 03-25-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraVires (Post 21554071)
The guitar riff in Boston's "More Than A Feeling." It really should be illegal to play in the car because when I look down I am doing 87mph.

In high school, I had that same problem with "Synchronicity II" by the Police. I actually took the tape out of my car. :)

Cardigan 03-25-2019 08:54 AM

I love the part at the very end of the Talking Heads song "And She Was" where the electric guitar takes up the chorus (around 3:28)

WOOKINPANUB 03-25-2019 09:28 AM

Hey Nineteen " . . .skate a little lower now"

Jack Batty 03-25-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLCoolL (Post 21555616)
So they are strumming the strings and palming them with the same hand at the same time? Sounds difficult.

Actually, I jumped the gun a little on that technique. Palm-muting is a little difficult to master, but you use it more for soft strums, round notes, muted sounds, if you will. The chick-a-chicks are more of a lay your fingers lightly across your fret board to mute them all kind of thing - that way you can go to town on your strum hand.

pulykamell 03-25-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLCoolL (Post 21555616)

The basics of palm-muting aren't all that difficult, but doing it well does take some practice. I'm not a guitarist by any stretch (I just screw around on guitar--keys are my instrument), but I would expect any rock guitarist to be able to palm mute, as it is everywhere in rock music, and especially so heavy metal. As mentioned above, though, that's the only way you can mute the strings.

Reindeer Flotilla 03-25-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

I listen for "squeaks" from the re-positioning of the guitarist's fingers. Is there a musical term for this?

Notable squeaky songs would be Wish You Were Here, and Every Breath You Take. Lots more, but those are two of my favorites.

I think the quintessential example of this is Brian May's fretting at the end of 'We Will Rock You' from Queen. No cite (because I have none due to it's probably not true), but I like to believe it is Rock and Rolls most obvious first example of this. It's because as a kid it's the first time I heard the effect and over the decades of listening to the song, that eighth note lead in squeak at the start of each measure just makes that guitar solo.

pulykamell 03-25-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulykamell (Post 21556549)
As mentioned above, though, that's the only way you can mute the strings.

Ack!!! Missing word. "That's not the only way you can mute the strings."

RTFirefly 03-25-2019 07:02 PM

Let's see if I can do this: Beethoven's 7th Symphony, 1st movement:

After an unusually long intro (which keeps on hinting that something big is coming), the main theme of the movement is finally introduced, starting at about the 4:15 mark. (If this works, the link should drop you in at 4:10.) But it's just with some quiet woodwinds, then some violins. But towards the end of the first trip through the theme, the rest of the orchestra finally kicks in(~4:38-4:47), like a pitcher winding up for the pitch. Then (between 4:47 and 4:48) there's the perfect brief pause, before Beethoven throws his best heater down the pike, and they're off to the races.

I love that buildup, and I love that pause. And then - pure joy.

blondebear 03-25-2019 07:08 PM

Lots of string squeaking on Blackbird.

cmkeller 03-25-2019 11:57 PM

Three personal favorites stick out for me:

1) In Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain", the part that starts "Sometimes I wake up by the door..." somehow, she rhymes "door", "for you" (twice) and "over" and totally makes it work. I love that stanza.

2) In "Good Time" by Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City, where Carly gives this "whooo!" right before the chorus. I love that bit.

3) This one is probably a bit obscure, but "Call Me When You're Sober" by Evanescence. There's a part, at the 2:50 mark, which starts "How could I..." the second time the lead singer sings the words "How could I" her voice does this "fluttering" thing on the "I" that really grabs my ears. I could play the whole song just to listen to that bit.

Annie-Xmas 03-26-2019 09:26 AM

Speaking of Adele: In her song Rumor Has It, that crashing sound right after she signs the title words made me find out who was singing it.

Rumor has it (crash)

DCnDC 03-26-2019 09:36 AM

The short bridge in Sarah McLachlan's "Adia" found right here is just brilliant: https://youtu.be/Q5wW8N4pt3U?t=3m18s

KneadToKnow 03-26-2019 12:20 PM

The last and first words of Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Annie-Xmas 03-26-2019 12:24 PM

The best use of the trumpet for a piano player goes to Stevie Wonder's opening of "Sir Duke." Just hearing that horn makes me stop and listen.

RealityChuck 03-26-2019 12:48 PM

I love the false start in the Mamas and the Papas, "I Saw Her Again." Denny had jumped it a bit early, singing the first three notes. They kept it in.

Labtrash 03-26-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KneadToKnow (Post 21558134)
The last and first words of Pink Floyd's The Wall.

"So...wall"?

Clarisse McClellan 03-26-2019 01:19 PM

Tom Petty's Free Fallin'

Opening guitar riff but also "All the vampires walkin through the valley
Move west down Ventura Boulevard"

I look forward to the harmony in "Ventura Boulevard" every time.

Covfefe 03-28-2019 12:32 AM

The moment the high octave harmonized backing vocals come in on the "So before it e-mails your grandmother..." line in Virus Alert by Weird Al

Les Espaces Du Sommeil 03-28-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas
Fleetwood Mac: On the first line of the chorus, the female voices sing "You can go your own way," and the man kicks in "GO YOUR OWN WAY." I love the way he sings it
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Pudding (Post 21552498)
With you all the way.

Add the descending bass line right afterwards and I'm with you, too. Actually, the whole bass line in the chorus is one of my favourites in rock : driving but very melodic.

Cuckoorex 03-28-2019 10:15 AM

In Metallica's "One", when the guitar and bass fall silent and all you hear are the double-bass drums. Love that part.

Annie-Xmas 05-09-2019 01:56 PM

The Who's Who Are You has the amazing, beautifully sung "I really wanna know."

Jack Batty 05-09-2019 02:32 PM

Speaking of The Who, in "Won't Get Fooled Again," I love the part where, after Roger sings, "you know that the hypnotized never lie," a few bars go by and Pete adds, "... do ya? ..."

ftg 05-09-2019 05:50 PM

Just heard this again earlier today: Thorn in My Side by the Eurythmics.

That "Yeah!" at the opening puts a good swerve into the song from the initial guitar chords, setting up the rest of the song.

Annie-Xmas 05-10-2019 10:03 AM

I've yet to play Tom Paxton's Jesus Christ SRO for anyone who doesn't laugh at the last two word:

Jesus, you’re the biggest star on Broadway
And what a proper superstar you look
A golden oldie, a blast from the past
It’s great to see that you’ve come back at last
And someday I just have to read (dramatic pause) The Book

Telemark 05-10-2019 10:28 AM

In the Slim Harpo version of I'm a King Bee when he says "Well...buzz a while" at around 1 minute.

Mike Mabes 05-10-2019 08:03 PM

I air drum the drum fill at the end of the Pixies "Here Comes Your Man" no matter where I am.

The pause after "waited on the thunder" before "woke last night to the sound of thunder" on Night Moves.

the very end of Neil's "The Needle and the Damage Done" where the last strum of the guitar just kinda of hangs there, like you expect another down strum (as a very basic guitar player I know the last 2 strums are up)

I could think of many more if I tried.