Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Trump Administration: A Clusterfuck in the Making (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=813085)

ThelmaLou 12-06-2016 07:25 PM

The Trump Administration: A Clusterfuck in the Making

And his supporters are still in massive denial about the damage their candidate has already inflicted...and he's not even President yet. :smack:

Dear Mr. Obama: You Are Still the President
My bold.
Quote:

In the four weeks since the election, which seem like four centuries, Donald Trump has dominated the news and done real strategic and economic damage with his stream of intemperate tweets. For a reckoning of the chaos that his tweets about Taiwan and China have already induced, please see these Atlantic items: by Uri Friedman with Shen Dengli, by David Graham, by Chris Bodenner, and by Isaac Stone Fish, with links to many other analyses. The harm he petulantly inflicted today on Boeing, a company that is perennially the United States’s leading exporter and one of its most important high-tech manufacturing employers and standard-setters, is only the latest and most flagrant illustration.

This is not responsible behavior. This is not normal. This is not something the United States, or for that matter the world, can really withstand from a commander in chief. But this ungoverned, thin-skinned impetuosity is something the “responsible” GOP has decided, to its enduring shame, that it dare not criticize.

Little_Pig 12-06-2016 07:30 PM

I doubt in 12 months that you will find one sorry Son Of A Bitch who will admit that they voted for this Sack-O-Shit.

Surreal 12-06-2016 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19834456)
And his supporters are still in massive denial about the damage their candidate has already inflicted...and he's not even President yet. :smack:

Dear Mr. Obama: You Are Still the President
My bold.

Get a blog.

ThelmaLou 12-06-2016 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surreal (Post 19834511)
Get a blog.

I should, shouldn't I? Maybe, if my sanity holds.

Actually, I kinda like the crowd here, even the people I disagree with. I think the intelligence/literacy level at the SDMB is a cut above the general blog-reading public. There are some very smart, well-read, incredibly knowledgeable people here. I'm constantly amazed at the level of analysis and the fact that someone can post a question on practically any arcane, far-out, technical subject, and someone will pipe up with, "Oh, yeah, that's what I do for a living and I wrote a book on it" or something. But I digress.

asterion 12-06-2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Get a blog.

Seriously. I'm about ready to petition the mods for a ThelmaLou Rule.

mhendo 12-06-2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19834558)
Actually, I kinda like the crowd here, even the people I disagree with. I think the intelligence/literacy level at the SDMB is a cut above the general blog-reading public.

If you really believe that, then maybe stop insulting everyone's intelligence with a constant barrage of content-free bitching about Donald Trump.

This thread added precisely nothing to the dozen others you've started over the last month, and didn't tell me anything that i haven't already seen in my Facebook feed.

I'm pretty sure that i'm as upset about Trump's election as you are, and when there are substantive issues to be discussed i'm happy to talk about them. I'm also not above simple derision and scorn when it comes to the Cheeto-in-Chief; he deserves every bit of it. But surely there are enough already-open threads where you can vent, without adding yet another one to the front page of the Pit?

Little Nemo 12-06-2016 09:15 PM

I don't see what you expect Obama to do. I feel he's already doing the right thing; recognizing Donald Trump is going to be President in a few weeks and doing all he can to help Trump get ready for the job. Attacking and undermining the next President is not the right thing for the current President to do.

bobo blesinger 12-06-2016 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surreal (Post 19834511)
get a blog.

thank you!!!

wolfpup 12-06-2016 09:28 PM

Quote:

Get a blog.

Personally, I find ThelmaLou's sourcing of important news items and her often cogent commentary to be a valuable addition to the board's political discussions in the aftermath of an extraordinary election that will have extraordinary consequences. Certainly far more valuable than anything I've seen from you, whose contribution of interesting or informative posts I currently number at zero.

Happy Lendervedder 12-06-2016 10:28 PM

Yeah, I gotta say I don't mind the ThelmaLou threads. I don't click on all of them, and post in even less, but I enjoy popping in and seeing the latest that she's dug up on the Circus Peanut-elect, and the discussion that follows.

I used to think the Trump campaign would be studied and dissected in poli sci courses for generations to come. Now, it's gonna be his whole administration that will be studied like an alien fungus that's infected humanity. I just wish I didn't have to witness this abomination first-hand. More to the point, I wish my kids didn't.

ThelmaLou 12-06-2016 10:57 PM

Thanks for those comments, especially the people who think I'm helping to fight ignorance... and the others, too. For the latter group, when you see that I've posted a new thread, I humbly suggest you not read it. Or go ahead and read it and contribute to the discussion by telling me I'm not contributing anything. Both of those work.

I'll try to cut back. A little.

John Mace 12-06-2016 11:00 PM

Still on the Reeder Expressway, huh?

Wesley Clark 12-06-2016 11:03 PM

I also enjoy the ThemlaLou political threads.

I am starting to look forward to a Trump presidency. I don't support him, and I think he is incompetent, but I realize some things are going to go really bad and I'm eager to find out how they go bad.

My fear is that after a year or so and Trump has not only not made anything better, but made things worse, his narcissism refuses to let him accept responsibility. So he looks for a scapegoat and his voters are eager to blame someone/anyone else for why Trump can't make america great again.

Not to sound melodramatic (it won't be that bad here obviously) but in China after Mao totally fucked everything up in the 60s, and he was put out to pasture he got enraged and started the cultural revolution. I could see Trump and his followers trying something similar. Going on an angry rampage against academics, intellectuals, the media, liberals, minorities, republicans who do not fall in line, etc. because they will blame them for blocking progress on 'making america great again'. When I say an angry rampage I'm sure there will be violence here and there but nothing that'll shatter the fabric of society. Probably random shootings by right wing extremists combined with some government surveillance and oppression.

I guess that is a major fear I have of a Trump presidency. He will encourage both legal repression and extra judicial violence against scapegoats when he is forced to confront that there are no easy answers to our problems.

madsircool 12-06-2016 11:23 PM

Wall Street doesn't agree with Thelma Lou.

wolfpup 12-07-2016 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madsircool (Post 19834929)

Would that be the same Wall Street that thought you could do no better in the late 1920s than to put all your money in the stock market? Or would it be the one that thought the same thing all over again in the early months of 1930?

Wall Street is an absolutely terrible predictor of actual future events. It's like a manic-depressive, buying everything in sight in a bout of euphoria whenever anyone with an "R" after his name gets elected, then pooping their diapees in panic when that same "R" says mean things to the leader of a belligerent power or is found having carnal relations with a goat. "Wall Street" is nothing more than the collective expectations and limited knowledge of its constituent members, many of whom voted for the idiot who is the subject of this thread.

drad dog 12-07-2016 12:58 AM

Quote:

Didn't don the con shake the markets yesterday by tweeting about boeing?

Maybe I missed your meaning?

octopus 12-07-2016 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpup (Post 19834730)
Personally, I find ThelmaLou's sourcing of important news items and her often cogent commentary to be a valuable addition to the board's political discussions in the aftermath of an extraordinary election that will have extraordinary consequences. Certainly far more valuable than anything I've seen from you, whose contribution of interesting or informative posts I currently number at zero.

Quantity can dilute quality. I'm all for free speech and posting what you wish. But every tiny thing being the end of the world or Hitler or racist or cheetoesque or whatever and impact is diminished to 0.

John Mace 12-07-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drad dog (Post 19835053)

DJI on Nov 8 = 18,332
DJI on Dec 6 = 19,251.

If you're going by "the market".

Just Asking Questions 12-07-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

It was "only" 1%.

The asshole-in-chief didn't even have his facts right. And yet, people I work with voted for the circus peanut, and don't seem to mind that he's costing them money directly in their stocks. There are those who believe he did it deliberately, just to fuck with Boeing over some petty slight.

Dangerosa 12-07-2016 09:48 AM

Quote:

Boeing got shook. The market is doing fine - even possibly better than fine. Which is to say that investors expect the Trump Presidency to be good for corporations - in the short term because as much as Warren Buffet says "invest for the long term" there are still a hell of a lot of people who think short term when it comes to stocks.

That doesn't mean that the market thinks a Trump presidency will increase geo-political stability, improve race relations, help working class Americans - the market has no opinion on that - just that corporations will be profitable and the rich will get richer.

Vinyl Turnip 12-07-2016 09:55 AM

"Still better than that bitch Hillary," croaked the blind mutant as he rummaged the still-smoking slag for a morsel of irradiated rat meat.

Lobohan 12-07-2016 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip (Post 19835588)
"Still better than that bitch Hillary," croaked the blind mutant as he rummaged the still-smoking slag for a morsel of irradiated rat meat.

"Oh happy day! This is a mommy rat, with some yumsies wittle rat pups in her tummy!"—After the Bomb Chris Christie

dasmoocher 12-07-2016 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder (Post 19834817)
... Circus Peanut-elect, ...

Here ya go.

Lemur866 12-07-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

I thought Trump was supposed to stand up for the little guy against the fat cats on Wall Street? I guess that's not going to happen.

Defensive Indifference 12-07-2016 11:18 AM

Maybe we've been wrong about Trump. Time just gave him Person of the Year. That's a relief. They wouldn't give that to an authoritarian or a white supremacist, surely. (Is Time the "liberal media"? I've lost track of who's in the club.)

John Mace 12-07-2016 11:20 AM

You know who else Time gave Man* of the Year? :D

*It wasn't "person" back then.

running coach 12-07-2016 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mace (Post 19835812)
You know who else Time gave Man* of the Year? :D

*It wasn't "person" back then.

Godwin?

ZPG Zealot 12-07-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesley Clark (Post 19834885)
I also enjoy the ThemlaLou political threads.

I am starting to look forward to a Trump presidency. I don't support him, and I think he is incompetent, but I realize some things are going to go really bad and I'm eager to find out how they go bad.

My fear is that after a year or so and Trump has not only not made anything better, but made things worse, his narcissism refuses to let him accept responsibility. So he looks for a scapegoat and his voters are eager to blame someone/anyone else for why Trump can't make america great again.

Not to sound melodramatic (it won't be that bad here obviously) but in China after Mao totally fucked everything up in the 60s, and he was put out to pasture he got enraged and started the cultural revolution. I could see Trump and his followers trying something similar. Going on an angry rampage against academics, intellectuals, the media, liberals, minorities, republicans who do not fall in line, etc. because they will blame them for blocking progress on 'making america great again'. When I say an angry rampage I'm sure there will be violence here and there but nothing that'll shatter the fabric of society. Probably random shootings by right wing extremists combined with some government surveillance and oppression.

I guess that is a major fear I have of a Trump presidency. He will encourage both legal repression and extra judicial violence against scapegoats when he is forced to confront that there are no easy answers to our problems.

I share your fears. I've already had one now former friend, Trump supporter go ballistic on me because I would not agree with her that reason she may lose her medical insurance (obtainable only because of the Obama administration's health care legislation) was because of the "liberals" and "media elites". Apparently being calmly informed that while she is entitled to her own opinion, she is not entitled to her own facts was too much for the Trump train brain.

Defensive Indifference 12-07-2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mace (Post 19835812)
You know who else Time gave Man* of the Year?

Hmmm. Maybe. Was he an authoritarian and a white supremacist?

Just Asking Questions 12-07-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayard (Post 19835832)

He was the archetype, the uber-supremacist. The leader. What the German word for that? I can't remember. "Trump"? No. Help me out here.

dasmoocher 12-07-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayard (Post 19835832)

Naw. Just misunderstood by "the elite". He was just making Germany Great Again!

Calatin 12-07-2016 11:38 AM

Oh, good, another Trump thread by ThelmaLou.

Clothahump 12-07-2016 11:44 AM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVlHZh5dvbA

ThelmaLou 12-07-2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopus (Post 19835058)
Quantity can dilute quality. I'm all for free speech and posting what you wish. But every tiny thing being the end of the world or Hitler or racist or cheetoesque or whatever and impact is diminished to 0.

I take your point, but to me it's more like the scene from Gone with the Wind, when Scarlett O'Hara goes to the train yard where the wounded soldiers have been laid out. It starts with a close-up of her walking among a few soldiers, but as the camera backs up and moves vertically up, the scene gets wider and wider until Scarlett is just a speck and the wounded fill the entire movie screen.

I may post one or two articles every few days, but I'm choosing from among dozens and dozens in just the few publications that I read. The number of articles, opinion pieces, editorials, op-eds, letters to the editor expressing dismay and disgust at Trump's behavior, etc. is vast. The stuff I post is (to coin a phrase) the tip of the iceberg... the iceberg that many (including me) fear the Ship of State is headed into. Will there be lifeboats for all? I think not.

Like I said before, if you're weary of reading the stuff I cite from elsewhere, don't click into my threads. And I will try to cut back.

Fenris 12-07-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asterion (Post 19834675)
Seriously. I'm about ready to petition the mods for a ThelmaLou Rule.

Seconded,

Either get a fucking blog or create an omnibus "ThelmaLou Bitches About Everything Donald Trump Might Do" thread rather than create a million threads all of which boil down to "I think Donald Trump is yukky" or shut the fuck up. Any of those three will do fine.

You're actually rivaling Reeder with your obsessive thread starting.

John Mace 12-07-2016 12:37 PM

Last week's SNL opening skit was a riff on how Trump can't stop himself from tweeting. He promises to cut back, but then <10 seconds later> he's tweeting again. That was pretty funny.

Ludovic 12-07-2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions (Post 19835841)
He was the archetype, the uber-supremacist. The leader. What the German word for that? I can't remember. "Trump"? No. Help me out here.

I can't remember either but he did stir up quite a furor.

ThelmaLou 12-07-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenris (Post 19835993)
Seconded,

Either get a fucking blog or create an omnibus "ThelmaLou Bitches About Everything Donald Trump Might Do" thread rather than create a million threads all of which boil down to "I think Donald Trump is yukky" or shut the fuck up. Any of those three will do fine.

You're actually rivaling Reeder with your obsessive thread starting.

Geez, keep talking like that and I'm going to stop paying you to read my threads. :rolleyes:

But actually, that's a good idea (I'm overlooking the unnecessarily rude tone). I'll stop opening threads willy-nilly, and this will be my personal omnibus Trump thread, and you and the others who don't like to read this stuff can avoid it like the plague. Deal?

Fenris 12-07-2016 01:59 PM

Deal--I don't care how much you talk about Trump, I care that the constant flow of new TRUMP!!! OUTRAGE!!!! threads are killing any other BBQ Pit non-Trump content. :)

Son of a Rich 12-07-2016 02:32 PM

How's that drainy swampy thing workin' out for ya'?

running coach 12-07-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of a Rich (Post 19836417)
How's that drainy swampy thing workin' out for ya'?

Swimmingly.

:D

Just Asking Questions 12-07-2016 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludovic (Post 19836169)
I can't remember either but he did stir up quite a furor.

That's IT!

The Stirrer.

No, wait, that's not it.....

ThelmaLou 12-07-2016 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenris (Post 19836337)
Deal--I don't care how much you talk about Trump, I care that the constant flow of new TRUMP!!! OUTRAGE!!!! threads are killing any other BBQ Pit non-Trump content. :)

Killing? How?

Calatin 12-07-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19836589)
Killing? How?

It's bumping them down. There are currently 6 specifically anti-Trump threads currently in the Pit.

milquetoast 12-07-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions (Post 19836509)
That's IT!

The Stirrer.

No, wait, that's not it.....

Now, this? This is fucking funny. :D

In fact, I'm now picturing the Nazis given their salute not with a flat palm, but with a slightly cupped palm so as to invoke the image of a spoon.

Loach 12-07-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpup (Post 19835047)
Would that be the same Wall Street that thought you could do no better in the late 1920s than to put all your money in the stock market? Or would it be the one that thought the same thing all over again in the early months of 1930?

No I'm pretty sure those guys are all dead.

Just Asking Questions 12-07-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milquetoast (Post 19836646)
Now, this? This is fucking funny. :D

In fact, I'm now picturing the Nazis given their salute not with a flat palm, but with a slightly cupped palm so as to invoke the image of a spoon.

And they don't hold them still, but move the hand in a small, circular motion.

octopus 12-07-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19835939)
I take your point, but to me it's more like the scene from Gone with the Wind, when Scarlett O'Hara goes to the train yard where the wounded soldiers have been laid out. It starts with a close-up of her walking among a few soldiers, but as the camera backs up and moves vertically up, the scene gets wider and wider until Scarlett is just a speck and the wounded fill the entire movie screen.

I may post one or two articles every few days, but I'm choosing from among dozens and dozens in just the few publications that I read. The number of articles, opinion pieces, editorials, op-eds, letters to the editor expressing dismay and disgust at Trump's behavior, etc. is vast. The stuff I post is (to coin a phrase) the tip of the iceberg... the iceberg that many (including me) fear the Ship of State is headed into. Will there be lifeboats for all? I think not.

Like I said before, if you're weary of reading the stuff I cite from elsewhere, don't click into my threads. And I will try to cut back.

I'm not weary of it and I am for more speech not less. There are a few reasons why I participate on sites where I am a minority expressed viewpoint. One is I like to see what is effective speech, at least from my subjective point of view.

You got a point though. Trump is that unusual of a president-elect that perhaps the volume of critique serves a useful purpose.

Colibri 12-07-2016 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calatin (Post 19836634)
It's bumping them down. There are currently 6 specifically anti-Trump threads currently in the Pit.

That's out of 24 active in the past two days. Not really killing the forum.

Calatin 12-07-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colibri (Post 19836720)
That's out of 24 active in the past two days. Not really killing the forum.

Yeah, but when they all say essentially the same damn thing, it just becomes clutter.

ThelmaLou 12-07-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calatin (Post 19836760)
Yeah, but when they all say essentially the same damn thing, it just becomes clutter.

Even though we're now in a post-fact era, I'd like to stick to facts. You actually have to read the threads (or at least the OP) to see that they don't say the same thing. Yes, the theme is the same as the title of this thread, but the threads of mine currently on the front page of the Pit (SIX, including this one) are as follows and deal with different aspects of Trump.

"Is it that the Dems don't understand white, working-class America?" No, that's not it
(Not about Trump specifically, but about Trump voters)

Trump launches multi-state victory lap
(Perpetual campaign begins-- the Big Ego requires it)

Trump may not submit a budget next year
(DT is going to practice opacity instead of transparency)

Trump rewards big donors with Cabinet posts
(DT selling cabinet posts)

Will Trump Keep His Business Interests Separate from the Presidency?
(Mingling the two means DT and family can make lots of money through "honest graft")

There are TWENTY-SEVEN other Trump-bashing (or closely related to Trump-bashing) threads currently on the front page of the Pit that aren't mine.

Morgyn 12-07-2016 05:19 PM

Can I add something to bashing his cabinet appointments?

He's picked the Oklahoma attorney general, currently suing the EPA, to be the new head of the EPA. He thus proves what I have suspected for the last 3 weeks at least; he does not intend to run the government, he intends to disassemble its component parts down to bare rock, then nuke them to be sure they're dead.

running coach 12-07-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgyn (Post 19836904)
Can I add something to bashing his cabinet appointments?

He's picked the Oklahoma attorney general, currently suing the EPA, to be the new head of the EPA. He thus proves what I have suspected for the last 3 weeks at least; he does not intend to run the government, he intends to disassemble its component parts down to bare rock, then nuke them to be sure they're dead.

From orbit? That would require funding NASA.

dasmoocher 12-07-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running coach (Post 19836914)
From orbit? That would require funding NASA.

It's the only way to be sure. It also makes sense. Pence will be handling foreign and domestic policy. Trump gets to handle outer space.

The Tooth 12-07-2016 05:44 PM

Grope. Not handle, grope.

ThelmaLou 12-07-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgyn (Post 19836904)
Can I add something to bashing his cabinet appointments?...

Absolutely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tooth (Post 19836965)
Grope. Not handle, grope.

Good one.

Guinastasia 12-07-2016 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19836818)
There are TWENTY-SEVEN other Trump-bashing (or closely related to Trump-bashing) threads currently on the front page of the Pit that aren't mine.

True, but I don't think they're all started by the same person. Seriously, are you going to start a new thread every time the guy sneezes?

SteveG1 12-07-2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running coach (Post 19835817)
Godwin?

Hitler. Stalin. Khomeini. Putin.

Man Of The Year is about perceived importance, not how good a person you are.

running coach 12-07-2016 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveG1 (Post 19837593)
Hitler. Stalin. Khomeini. Putin.

Man Of The Year is about perceived importance, not how good a person you are.

I know. I was making a mild joke.

ThelmaLou 12-07-2016 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinastasia (Post 19837513)
True, but I don't think they're all started by the same person. Seriously, are you going to start a new thread every time the guy sneezes?

What's it to you?

Anyway, I addressed this question upthread.

Morgenstern 12-08-2016 12:07 AM

Quote:

As Stephen Hawking put it, Trump appeals to the lowest common denominator. Those who aren't capable of smelling the bullshit, choosing to believe it's something else. Trump will screw up everything he touches, and we'll pay the price. As long as he lies to them, he will get a pass no matter how bad he does. And we all know, he's a very good liar.

Seriously, what kind of idiot would want to lock up Hillary for careless handling US confidential information, then turn around and consider General Petraeus (who knowingly revealed US secrets) for Sec of State? How does old hamster fists not see that as insane?

running coach 12-08-2016 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 19837728)
As Stephen Hawking put it, Trump appeals to the lowest common denominator. Those who aren't capable of smelling the bullshit, choosing to believe it's something else. Trump will screw up everything he touches, and we'll pay the price. As long as he lies to them, he will get a pass no matter how bad he does. And we all know, he's a very good liar.

Seriously, what kind of idiot would want to lock up Hillary for careless handling US confidential information, then turn around and consider General Petraeus (who knowingly revealed US secrets) for Sec of State? How does old hamster fists not see that as insane?

Trump did say on 60 Minutes that though Pence had voted for the Iraq war, that it was a forgivable mistake and then said that Clinton had committed an unforgivable mistake for doing the same thing.
*Cheering by Trump supporters ensued*

Morgenstern 12-08-2016 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinastasia (Post 19837513)

That's not really fair. The pit is for mocking and shaming idiots. Trump is an idiot worthy of mocking and shaming. What would you prefer, an omnibus thread with 12,500 pages and 600,000 posts slowing the hamsters down every time someone loaded it to read it or respond?

ThelmaLou 12-08-2016 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 19837728)

Someone said to me, "It's okay when the Republicans do it."

As stated, I'm confining my news items about the Buffoon-Elect to this thread.

Trump to name Scott Pruitt, Oklahoma attorney general suing EPA on climate change, to head the EPA

My bold.
Quote:

President-elect Donald Trump is expected to nominate Scott Pruitt, the attorney general of the oil and gas-intensive state of Oklahoma, to head the Environmental Protection Agency, a move signaling an assault on President Obama’s climate change and environmental legacy.

Pruitt has spent much of his energy as attorney general fighting the very agency he is being nominated to lead.

He is the third of Trump’s appointees who have key philosophical differences with the missions of the agencies they have been tapped to run. Ben Carson, named to head the Department of Housing and Urban Development, has expressed a deep aversion to the social safety net programs and fair housing initiatives that have been central to that agency’s activities. Betsy DeVos, named education secretary, has a passion for private school vouchers that critics say undercut the public school systems at the core of the government’s mission....

This should work out well for everyone. :rolleyes:

ThelmaLou 12-08-2016 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopus (Post 19836673)
...You got a point though. Trump is that unusual of a president-elect that perhaps the volume of critique serves a useful purpose.

Thank you. :)

ThelmaLou 12-08-2016 12:50 AM

Trump hires a third general, raising concerns about heavy military influence

Why, you may ask.

Quote:

Trump, who received multiple draft deferments and who has no military experience beyond his years at a military boarding school, is said to be drawn to generals by their swagger and dazzled by their tales from the battlefield....

Morgenstern 12-08-2016 12:52 AM

Here's another one...

President-elect Donald Trump picked Linda McMahon, former CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment, to serve as the administrator of the Small Business Administration, his transition announced Wednesday.

She's well qualified, she's been in entertainment. :rolleyes:

Circus in Washington. Lots of seats available. See the clowns without their makeup, get there early.

Trump hiring generals, I thought he knew more than they did?

ThelmaLou 12-08-2016 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 19837775)
Here's another one...

President-elect Donald Trump picked Linda McMahon, former CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment, to serve as the administrator of the Small Business Administration, his transition announced Wednesday.

She's well qualified, she's been in entertainment. :rolleyes:

She has the most important qualification of all:
Quote:

McMahon, 68, ... was one of Trump’s early backers and contributed more than $6.5 million to support his campaign.
Pay for play, anyone? Oh, I forgot-- it's okay when the Republicans do it. :smack:

Quote:

What's that old line-- "How can you tell when he's lying? When his lips are moving." Actually, in fairness, I think Trump only lies some of the time. I think he often believes and means his contradictory statements at the time he is making them. And then he either changes his mind depending on whom he wants to impress, or else he just forgets what he said before.

Little_Pig 12-08-2016 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19837772)

Generals and Billionaires. Hang on gang. This should prove interesting.

Kobal2 12-08-2016 06:23 AM

Quote:

Well that's why he's hiring new ones, see ? So's he can teach 'um.

leftfield6 12-08-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Here's another one...

What? That can't be a real thing.

[in which leftfeild6 opens a new tab in his browser and checks multiple news sites, drops his head in disbelief, and then returns to this tab]

Holy fuck. Seriously? Is he not even going to make an effort to make his administration seem like a legitimate thing? What's next, Ted Nugent heading up the National Endowment for the Arts?

slumtrimpet 12-08-2016 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19837819)

What's that old line-- "How can you tell when he's lying? When his lips are moving." Actually, in fairness, I think Trump only lies some of the time. I think he often believes and means his contradictory statements at the time he is making them. And then he either changes his mind depending on whom he wants to impress, or else he just forgets what he said before.

Or he just does not give a shit. He says whatever he thinks his audience of the moment wants to hear, truth is completely irrelevant. I doubt he forgets or believes. He doesn't care.
And his supporters and sycophants eat it up. :(

Steve MB 12-08-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Circus in Washington. Lots of seats available. See the clowns without their makeup, get there early.

Could we at least have more Ronald McDonald / Clarabelle / Bozo clowns and fewer Sideshow Bob / Pennywise / Joker ones?

Morgyn 12-08-2016 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19837759)
Someone said to me, "It's okay when the Republicans do it."

As stated, I'm confining my news items about the Buffoon-Elect to this thread.

Trump to name Scott Pruitt, Oklahoma attorney general suing EPA on climate change, to head the EPA

My bold.

This should work out well for everyone. :rolleyes:

Cough.

And you even responded to it!

dasmoocher 12-08-2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftfield6 (Post 19838049)
Holy fuck. Seriously? Is he not even going to make an effort to make his administration seem like a legitimate thing? What's next, Ted Nugent heading up the National Endowment for the Arts?

He's probably searching for a modern day equivalent of Savonarola.

Son of a Rich 12-08-2016 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve MB (Post 19838123)
Could we at least have more Ronald McDonald / Clarabelle / Bozo clowns and fewer Sideshow Bob / Pennywise / Joker ones?

That's why we need a "like" button here.

ThelmaLou 12-08-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgyn (Post 19838132)
Cough.

And you even responded to it!

Sorry, that went over my head. Explain, if you're inclined.

(You did get that the rolleyes indicated irony, right?)

Morgyn 12-08-2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19838593)
Sorry, that went over my head. Explain, if you're inclined.

(You did get that the rolleyes indicated irony, right?)

Because I'd already posted that story?

Maybe it's going over my head. Not hard to do, I'm on the short-ish side.

ThelmaLou 12-08-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgyn (Post 19838637)
Because I'd already posted that story?

Maybe it's going over my head. Not hard to do, I'm on the short-ish side.

Oh. I must have forgotten which thread I was in. So sorry. Didn't mean to be redundant, although some of this stuff bears repeating, amirite? I'll try to be more alert.

Stranger On A Train 12-08-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

No, Nugent is going to be director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, shortly to be renamed to the "Department of Homeland Hammerdown and Hunting".

Quote:

Originally Posted by slumtrimpet (Post 19838096)
Or he just does not give a shit. He says whatever he thinks his audience of the moment wants to hear, truth is completely irrelevant. I doubt he forgets or believes. He doesn't care.

Kind of like this guy?

Stranger

El_Kabong 12-08-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train (Post 19838799)
No, Nugent is going to be director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, shortly to be renamed to the "Department of Homeland Hammerdown and Hunting".

Stranger

Dammit, you got in ten minutes ahead of me.

Czarcasm 12-08-2016 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_Pig (Post 19834470)
I doubt in 12 months that you will find one sorry Son Of A Bitch who will admit that they voted for this Sack-O-Shit.

Would these be the same sorry SOBs that swore they would never vote for this SOS in the first place?

Stranger On A Train 12-08-2016 12:45 PM

Oh, and Trump's pick for Secretary of Labor? Andrew Puzder, CEO of the parent company that owns Hardee's and Carl's Jr., noted opponent to expanded overtime protection, increased minimum wage, and the Affordable Care Act because he claims (with no basis whatsoever) that it impacts his bottom line profit because people can't afford to eat as much of his shitty food.

Trump is draining the swamp, alright...directly into his own candy bowl of advisors and Cabinet secretaries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Kabong (Post 19838817)
Dammit, you got in ten minutes ahead of me.

That's okay, you can cut in front of me in the line for the re-education camps when Trump starts arresting every single person who mocks him.

Stranger

Little_Pig 12-08-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train (Post 19838826)
Oh, and Trump's pick for Secretary of Labor? Andrew Puzder, CEO of the parent company that owns Hardee's and Carl's Jr., noted opponent to expanded overtime protection, increased minimum wage, and the Affordable Care Act because he claims (with no basis whatsoever) that it impacts his bottom line profit because people can't afford to eat as much of his shitty food.

Trump is draining the swamp, alright...directly into his own candy bowl of advisors and Cabinet secretaries.

That's okay, you can cut in front of me in the line for the re-education camps when Trump starts arresting every single person who mocks him.

Stranger

The brazenness of his picks is, well, brazen. At Trump's first Cabinet meeting, everyone should be issued both a clown suit and clown car.

Morgyn 12-08-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_Pig (Post 19838908)
The brazenness of his picks is, well, brazen. At Trump's first Cabinet meeting, everyone should be issued both a clown suit and clown car.

I thought all the clowns were supposed to pile out of the same car?

Neo-Calredic 12-08-2016 02:02 PM

Quote:

[in which leftfeild6 opens a new tab in his browser and checks multiple news sites, drops his head in disbelief, and then returns to this tab]

At this point, can you honestly say you'd be surprised?

DiggitCamara 12-08-2016 02:02 PM

Quote:

Don't give him ideas.

Colibri 12-08-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgyn (Post 19839025)
I thought all the clowns were supposed to pile out of the same car?

More money to be made if you buy them each their own car.

Czarcasm 12-08-2016 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo-Calredic (Post 19839032)
At this point, can you honestly say you'd be surprised?

I certainly would be-I thought Nugent would get the ATF.

running coach 12-08-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarcasm (Post 19839045)
I certainly would be-I thought Nugent would get the ATF.

Nugent could be the Government Waste Czar.

Czarcasm 12-08-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running coach (Post 19839049)
Nugent could be the Government Waste Czar.

I think you dropped a comma there. :D

Colibri 12-08-2016 02:27 PM

And Ted Kaczynski for Postmaster General! He knows the mails!

Morgenstern 12-08-2016 07:01 PM

Maybe Trump can teach the TSA how to properly execute the one handed Trump lock on a woman's genitals. Seems legit.

drad dog 12-08-2016 07:06 PM

Too bad Bill Cosby is black. He would be the perfect Ombudsmen. It's going to be a big job.

Darth Ayebaw 12-08-2016 07:17 PM

I appreciate your threads TL. Within the rules, I wouldn't mind seeing more.

ThelmaLou 12-08-2016 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Ayebaw (Post 19839794)
I appreciate your threads TL. Within the rules, I wouldn't mind seeing more.

You mean me?? <looks around> Thank you. :) You're very kind.

When I find Trump-related news items, I will post them in this thread. So it will be easy for people who don't want to see them to avoid them. And easy for people who want to be biting and critical to find me, too. ;)

Morgenstern 12-08-2016 10:18 PM

From CNN

As Trump prepares to take office, 41% say they approve of the job he has done explaining his plans and policies for the future of the American people, while 55% say they disapprove of the job Trump has done.

The muppet hasn't even taken office yet and 55% of the people disapprove of the job he's done?

Stranger On A Train 12-08-2016 10:30 PM

Don't insult Muppets. They have a lot more substance than Donald Trump, and also larger hands.

Stranger

SteveG1 12-08-2016 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 19840080)
... hasn't even taken office yet and 55% of the people disapprove of the job he's done?

Isn't that a first???

ThelmaLou 12-08-2016 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveG1 (Post 19840172)
Isn't that a first???

Well, he likes to be the firstest with the bestest.

SteveG1 12-08-2016 11:50 PM

Just wait until he really gets rolling. Should be a real shit fest.

Colibri 12-08-2016 11:57 PM

Quote:

Isn't that a first???

He could be the first president without a honeymoon period.

Colibri 12-09-2016 12:05 AM

Quote:

Isn't that a first???

Since Truman, no president has had a negative approval rating upon taking office. (Scroll down for graphs.)

John Mace 12-09-2016 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colibri (Post 19840226)

He's definitely will be the first president who has been on three honeymoons.

eulalia 12-09-2016 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train (Post 19838799)

Stranger

I just wish he'd put Tommy Chong in charge of the DEA.

ThelmaLou 12-09-2016 03:56 PM

"Trump to name Goldman Sachs veteran, Gary Cohn, to head National Economic Council"

This is the same Hypocrite-Elect who was all over Hillary for supposedly having Wall Street in her back pocket. :dubious:

Czarcasm 12-09-2016 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colibri (Post 19840232)

He decided to burn through his "honeymoon period" before he even took office. His ego just cannot allow him to give it a rest.

Euphonious Polemic 12-09-2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19841737)
"Trump to name Goldman Sachs veteran, Gary Cohn, to head National Economic Council"

This is the same Hypocrite-Elect who was all over Hillary for supposedly having Wall Street in her back pocket. :dubious:

Nope, that never happened, and if you talk about it anymore, Trump is going to tweet about you personally, and then you'll have to deal with the anonymous death threats from his lunatic supporters.

That's how things work now.

Little Nemo 12-09-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colibri (Post 19840226)

He's just going to settle down to fucking us on a regular basis.

ThelmaLou 12-09-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic (Post 19841860)
Nope, that never happened, and if you talk about it anymore, Trump is going to tweet about you personally, and then you'll have to deal with the anonymous death threats from his lunatic supporters.

Makes me wonder if Trump will have his minions scouring message boards like this one to find out who is saying tacky things about him. If that happens, I'm screwed! Mayberry will be too hot to hold me! :eek:

SteveG1 12-09-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic (Post 19841860)

A long long time ago, I got some threats. I gave the moron clear directions on how to get to my place, and what time I would be "available". Decades later, I'm still waiting.

ThelmaLou 12-09-2016 07:04 PM

Donald Trump's mobster mentality

Quote:

Before running for president, Donald Trump was what we might consider a mid-to-high-level grifter. Despite his bogus claims about being the largest developer in New York, his media profile was much larger than his actual influence in the real estate world. As such, he was always looking for ways to scoop up extra cash and avoid liabilities in whatever quantities available — bilk struggling people out of $10,000 here and $20,000 there with phony real estate seminars, sell some steaks at Sharper Image, stiff the contractors who did work for him, get his "foundation" to pay off lawsuits against him, and so on. "My whole life I've been greedy, greedy, greedy," he said. "I've grabbed all the money I could get. I'm so greedy."

But now there's no longer any need for small-time cons. Trump is truly the boss, and just like it is with the mob, everybody has to pay the boss.

t's looking like conservatives in Washington will now be expected to hold all their major events at Trump's hotel; the Heritage Foundation held a donor event there last week, and the RNC will be holding its Christmas party there — the same hotel where foreign dignitaries will be expected to stay when they're in the American capital. "Isn't it rude to come to his city and say, 'I am staying at your competitor?'" one Asian diplomat told The Washington Post. You bet it is, and you bet he'll notice. Meanwhile, the Secret Service may be renting out space in Trump Tower in New York, for millions of dollars a year.

Of course, the details will be as opaque to the public as Trump can make them. That's why he was the first nominee in four decades not to release his tax returns, and why he won't ever release them.

And Trump needn't worry that Congress is going to be breathing down his neck. "This is not what I'm concerned about in Congress," said Speaker of the House and straight-arrow ethics advocate Paul Ryan when asked about Trump's conflicts of interest. "I have every bit of confidence he's going to get himself right with moving from being the business guy that he is to the president he's going to become." Other Republicans have a similar faith in Trump's unimpeachable probity. "The American people knowingly voted for a businessman whose name is inextricably tied to his fortune," said Newt Gingrich. "I'd say to the left wing, get over it."

Little_Pig 12-09-2016 08:12 PM

We dodge a bullet. Giuliani takes himself out of running for Secretary Of State. :) But Trump is now seriously considering Exxon Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson for the post. :eek:

ThelmaLou 12-09-2016 10:32 PM

The violin music swells, and we see a corridor of venerable oak trees shading a lane that leads to a big white house... is it Washington? No, it's the Old South. Gentlemen in wide-brimmed hats astride mighty steeds, demure belles in hoop skirts and bonnets, happy darkies singing in the fields as they pick cotton... ah, don't you wish you could have lived back in those good ol' days?* Well, you just might get the chance!

How Trump and the GOP will try to turn the entire country into Dixie
My bold.
Quote:

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live in Mississippi or Alabama? Well if the GOP has its way, you’ll get the chance to find out.

That’s because Donald Trump and congressional Republicans, through the executive branch leadership now being assembled and the legislative priorities they have laid out, are preparing to take the economic, political, and social arrangements of the South and spread them across the country.... Let’s look at it piece by piece:

The Southern economic model. The first and most far-reaching component of this project is to take the Southern economic model national. The foundation of that model is the elimination of collective bargaining and the destruction of the labor unions that are able to negotiate higher wages and better benefits for workers.
The Southern health care model. The Republicans’ first legislative priority is to repeal the Affordable Care Act, and while we don’t yet know what form that repeal (or its replacement) will take, the people most vulnerable are the estimated 12 million who would lose the coverage they gained because of the law’s expansion of Medicaid. Nineteen states refused to accept that expansion, preferring to keep their poor citizens uninsured rather than allow them to get coverage paid for by the federal government. Those 19 included some conservative states in the Midwest like Kansas and Nebraska, but the largest group of states was in the South: 10 of the 11 states of the Confederacy (Louisiana being the sole exception) refused the Medicaid expansion.
The Southern education model. Trump’s nominee for Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, is not an educator or education administrator; using her wealth as the wife of an heir to the Amway fortune, she has devoted her efforts to essentially trying to destroy public education in her home state of Michigan and in America more generally.
The Southern civil rights model. For his Attorney General, Trump picked Alabama’s Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III, named for the president of the Confederacy and a Confederate general. ...His most famous case as a prosecutor involved his unsuccessful prosecution of a former aide to the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., whom Sessions went after for helping elderly African-Americans to vote absentee.
The Southern abortion rights model. As I’ve explained, not only are Republicans eager to overturn Roe v. Wade; even with that precedent intact they may try to pass federal laws that make the whole country like the South when it comes to abortion.
The Southern environmental model. Trump has named Oklahoma attorney general Scott Pruitt to be administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, in a clear sign that he believes the first two words of the agency’s name are no longer operative. This too could represent a nationalization of what prevails in the South, where officials in Republican-dominated states see environmental protection as essentially a nuisance for corporations and the most pressing environmental question is how many wells we can drill.
The center of gravity in the GOP has been moving south for decades, and Republicans have long yearned to bring the South’s version of government and democracy to every corner of the country. Now they’ve finally got their chance.

*This description is 100% irony, in case any literal-minded person missed that.

Morgenstern 12-10-2016 12:25 AM

It seems Boeing is pretty worried about how bad the Orange monster will screw up our relations with China. Trump thinks we're in the drivers seat. Boeing thinks Trump is wrong. It all has to do with the 20% of Boeing's output that China buys.

...One-quarter of the nearly 500 Boeing 737 jets delivered in 2015 went to Chinese airlines, serving a fast-growing middle class that's as large as the entire U.S. population. The market is worth a trillion dollars over the next 20 years.

Everyday, Boeing's factories are filled with colorful jets for Chinese airlines that Americans won't recognize: Xiamen, 9 air, Donghai, Ruili, Hainan, Hebei, Shandong and Shenzhen...

Imagine China getting pissed off and sends those orders to Airbus. How many jobs will that Trumponomics cost us? Yes, that threat is real, and those who think it isn't should seek treatment for their nearsightedness.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/09/news...ina/index.html

Trump thinks his practice of going in over his head and then declaring bankruptcy when it doesn't work, will work on the global level. Trump is clearly a moron.

slumtrimpet 12-10-2016 09:02 AM

I can't stop seeing Trump as this gigantic orange chicken that's come home to roost on the practices, policies, and propaganda disseminated by the Republicans/far right etc for the past 20 years or more.
If it wasn't so damned depressing I'd be happy to say "you wanted it, you got it"

Fiveyearlurker 12-10-2016 10:46 AM

"Reports by @CNN that I will be working on The Apprentice during my Presidency, even part time, are rediculous & untrue [sic] – FAKE NEWS!”

He's calling it "fake news" that he is going to work on The Apprentice in his spare time despite the fact that his senior advisor said, exactly that when asked about his role as producer on the show:

"I mean, presidents have a right to do things in their spare time or their leisure time. I mean, nobody objects to that.”

Siam Sam 12-10-2016 11:14 AM

Trump has great potential to be much worse than Nixon. Nixon may not have been likeable, but no one really knew what a rat bastard he was at first. We know what filth Trump is right from the starting gate. That's why most voters did not vote for him.

GIGObuster 12-10-2016 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker (Post 19842987)
"Reports by @CNN that I will be working on The Apprentice during my Presidency, even part time, are rediculous & untrue [sic] – FAKE NEWS!”

He's calling it "fake news" that he is going to work on The Apprentice in his spare time despite the fact that his senior advisor said, exactly that when asked about his role as producer on the show:

"I mean, presidents have a right to do things in their spare time or their leisure time. I mean, nobody objects to that.”

I do wonder aloud if Trump did plan this to discredit CNN. I have to say also that IMHO CNN and many other outlets need to stop ASAP with the idea that Trump deserves to be treated fairly; it is the obligation of the media to stop with the false equivalence and report hard and loud what an incompetent we got as president, that is, unless corporate media does like to be seen as the incompetent one.

Stranger On A Train 12-10-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slumtrimpet (Post 19842813)
I can't stop seeing Trump as this gigantic orange chicken that's come home to roost on the practices, policies, and propaganda disseminated by the Republicans/far right etc for the past 20 years or more.
If it wasn't so damned depressing I'd be happy to say "you wanted it, you got it"

Except they--or rather, the radical right wing that has taken over the Republican party--has actually gotten what they want. Look forward to more restrictive laws on abortion and availability of contraception, denial of climate change and an expansion of drilling and hydraulic fractioning for petroleum versus investment in developing renewable and synthetic energy sources, eviceraton of educational standards and the ability to teach non-science like creationism as "an alternative" to science, reconstituting the Supreme Court with heavily conservative justices who will take a "strict" (e.g. non-progressive) reading of Constitutional law, and removal of protections if not outright persecution of disfavored minorities. Trump has shown the radical right that they can have everything they want if they are just audacioiusly upfront about it and appeal to bigotry and fear. And this is a lesson that will persist long after Trump is playing his golden harp.

Whatever Trump and his administration does in the next few years is nothing compared to the longer term impact on politics and governance in this country. The presidency has been allowed to become a powerful position by fiat, and we've largely depended on the fundamental decency and benevolence of a president not to be a raging asshole. Even with the worst of presidents in the modern era there was a need to be seen as being even-tempered and judicious in the exercise of power, but Trump has violated these preconceptions even before he has taken office. He is literally a man-baby with no sense of decorum or responsibility, and has set a new standard for what is acceptable in the behavior of a presidential candidate, and it is hard to see how we can ever fully unlearn that 'lesson' even after Trump goes away as a figure.

Stranger

Morgenstern 12-10-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker (Post 19842987)

Given Trump's record on telling the truth, I wouldn't believe him if he told me he colored his hair.

ThelmaLou 12-10-2016 07:38 PM

"Don't need no stinkin' intelligence! I already know everything!"

The Donald continues to amaze (even if he does not surprise).
Quote:

WASHINGTON — An extraordinary breach has emerged between President-elect Donald J. Trump and the national security establishment, with Mr. Trump mocking American intelligence assessments that Russia interfered in the election on his behalf, and top Republicans vowing investigations into Kremlin activities.

Mr. Trump, in a statement issued by his transition team on Friday evening, expressed complete disbelief in the intelligence agencies’ assessments.

“These are the same people that said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction,” Mr. Trump’s team said, adding that the election was over and that it was time to “move on.”

Though Mr. Trump has wasted no time in antagonizing the agencies, he will have to rely on them for the sort of espionage activities and analysis that they spend more than $70 billion a year to perform.

At this point in a transition, a president-elect is usually delving into intelligence he has never before seen and learning about C.I.A. and National Security Agency abilities. But Mr. Trump, who has taken intelligence briefings only sporadically, is questioning not only analytic conclusions, but also their underlying facts.

“To have the president-elect of the United States simply reject the fact-based narrative that the intelligence community puts together because it conflicts with his a priori assumptions — wow,” said Michael V. Hayden, who was the director of the N.S.A. and later the C.I.A. under President George W. Bush....

Whole story here.

ThelmaLou 12-10-2016 07:51 PM

Can anyone come up with a benign reason why DT would ask for this? If you were an energy dept employee, would you be a little worried? C'mon Trumpsters (you know who you are), tell the rest of us why this is perfectly okay and no big deal.

Trump Questionnaire Raises Concerns About Retaliation Against Energy Department Staff

Quote:

Among the queries included in a questionnaire sent by President-elect Donald Trump's transition team to workers at the Department of Energy is a request for an inventory of all agency employees or contractors who attended meetings or conferences on climate change. Another question asks for a current list of professional society memberships of any lab staff.

The 74-point questionnaire has raised fears among civil rights lawyers specializing in federal worker whistleblower protections, who say the incoming administration is at a minimum trying to influence or limit the research at the Department of Energy. And at worst, attempting to target employees with views that run counter to the president-elect.

The questionnaire also asks employees for a listing of when the climate change meetings took place, and to provide any materials distributed to them "or materials created by Department employees or contractors in anticipation of or as a result of those meetings."

"This is a very scary indication of what might happen under a Trump administration," says Jason Zuckerman, a former legal adviser to the U.S. Office of Special Counsel, an agency which protects federal workers, particularly on matters of retaliation....

Rest of the story

Robot Arm 12-10-2016 07:54 PM

From ThelmaLou's link:
Quote:

Though Mr. Trump has wasted no time in antagonizing the agencies, he will have to rely on them for the sort of espionage activities and analysis that they spend more than $70 billion a year to perform.
That presupposes that Trump cares about some sort of fact-based results. If you actually want to stop people with ill intentions toward America, you need international cooperation, police and military trained, prepared, and deployed around the world, and intelligence networks to identify who you're looking for. Why go to all that trouble when you can just drop a bomb somewhere, claim it landed on a Radical Islamic TerroristTM, and tell people that they're safer. Don't need any intelligence agencies for that.

drad dog 12-10-2016 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robot Arm (Post 19843871)
From ThelmaLou's link:That presupposes that Trump cares about some sort of fact-based results. If you actually want to stop people with ill intentions toward America, you need international cooperation, police and military trained, prepared, and deployed around the world, and intelligence networks to identify who you're looking for. Why go to all that trouble when you can just drop a bomb somewhere, claim it landed on a Radical Islamic TerroristTM, and tell people that they're safer. Don't need any intelligence agencies for that.

Weren't a lot of Trump voters the ones who never shut up about Obamas drone policy?

Little_Pig 12-10-2016 08:26 PM

Trump expected to tap Exxon's Tillerson for State.

"Few corporate titans are closer to Putin than Tillerson"

"Two years later, the Kremlin awarded Tillerson the Order of Friendship, honoring foreigners."

"Russia is critical for Exxon"

"What good is it to save the planet if humanity suffers," he said at a 2013 stockholders meeting, citing the outsized impact on poor people if environmental activists succeeded in establishing company goals to reduce emissions.

- I got 50 bucks that says he's gotten at least one blow job from Sarah Palin.

elucidator 12-11-2016 12:08 AM

Give me the fifty bucks for brain bleach.

Skywatcher 12-11-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19843844)
The Donald continues to amaze (even if he does not surprise).

He did say he talks to himself regarding foreign policy because he knows what's going on better than anyone else. 'Course he won't listen to the intelligence community.

Just Asking Questions 12-11-2016 11:52 AM

Trump doesn't need daily intelligence briefings because he is "too smart".

He also says Pence does get daily briefings.

I don't know if he's saying Pence is "not smart", or if he's admitting Pence is really going to be running the country.

Defensive Indifference 12-11-2016 12:20 PM

I wonder how GWB feels about Trump's lack of attention to intelligence briefings.

Just Asking Questions 12-11-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayard (Post 19844748)
I wonder how GWB feels about Trump's lack of attention to intelligence briefings.

He said, Donald, you can just pretend to listen to them. You don't have to pay attention, or act on them, or anything. Nothing bad can happen.

ThelmaLou 12-11-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions (Post 19844877)
He said, Donald, you can just pretend to listen to them. You don't have to pay attention, or act on them, or anything. Nothing bad can happen.

"And fer God's sake, don't let on that you don't have a clue what they're talking about! Just nod and scowl and you'll be fine."

Defensive Indifference 12-11-2016 03:50 PM

You'd think that after watching those 9/11 celebrations in Jersey, Trump would be especially vigilant about the possibility of an attack on his watch.

Stranger On A Train 12-11-2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions (Post 19844696)

"I'm, like, a smart person," he explained Sunday. "I don't have to be told the same thing in the same words every single day for the next eight years. Could be eight years – but eight years. I don't need that."
He sounds more like a fifth grader arguing why he doesn't need to keep going to class rather than the President of the United States. Hey, President Clownstick, things actuall occur around the world that impact US policy, often developing on a daily basis. or are we just going to eliminate the State Department, as well, as part of "Making America Great Again"?

How much more "Give Trump a chance!" are we supposed to extend to him, again? He isn't interested in national security, he continues to spread conspiracy theories about electoral fraud, he's appointed a cabinet full of sludge from the bottom of the swamp and industry insiders who are more conflicted than a third year philosophy major being confronted with the reality that there are no philosophy internships much less actual jobs,

Stranger

ThelmaLou 12-11-2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train (Post 19845182)
How much more "Give Trump a chance!" are we supposed to extend to him, again? He isn't interested in national security, he continues to spread conspiracy theories about electoral fraud, he's appointed a cabinet full of sludge from the bottom of the swamp and industry insiders who are more conflicted than a third year philosophy major being confronted with the reality that there are no philosophy internships much less actual jobs,

Stranger

Honest to God, THIS is the millionbillion-dollar question. :smack:

elucidator 12-11-2016 04:31 PM

Quote:

...a third year philosophy major being confronted with the reality that there are no philosophy internships much less actual job...

How do you get an English major off your porch? Pay for the pizza.

Morgenstern 12-11-2016 06:07 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/11/politi...wan/index.html

Trump is bound and determined to fuck up US, China relations. The real loser will be Boeing when China cancels 1 trillion dollars worth of orders expected over the next 20 years. Yep, China can do that with one swipe of the pen. I'll bet Airbus is delighted we have such a moron headed to the Oval throne. Now Airbus will have 1 trillion in extra orders and they will be able to cut prices on along the rest of their line and further damage Boeing's ability to compete. Trump is such a anal sack.

How many jobs will this cost the #1 exporter of American products? This bastard is so nearsighted.

ataraxy22 12-11-2016 06:26 PM

I just read he wants Bolton for #2 at State, behind Rex the Putin puppet. Bolton's foreign policy is basically to just start a war with every other country on Earth, and particularly hates Russia, so that will be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ThelmaLou 12-12-2016 11:21 AM

Trump's "Tech Summit" -- a come-to-Jesus meeting for Tech CEOs?

He's summoning his subjects and telling them how it's gonna be. (My bold at the end.)

From The Atlantic

Quote:

This week, Trump will host a summit for technology leaders. With the exception of venture capitalist and vocal Trump supporter Peter Thiel, the tech sector has mostly been at loggerheads with Trump since the campaign began. Generally speaking, the industry is economically libertarian but socially progressive. Even though its own infrastructure, like Facebook and Reddit, probably helped spread support for Trump, tech leaders generally supported Hillary Clinton on social issues while opposing Trump on immigration, encryption, and other hot-button issues for the sector.

Over the weekend, Recode’s Kara Swisher reported that the meeting, to be held Wednesday at Trump Tower, will be attended by a small group of key players. Among them: Apple CEO Tim Cook, Alphabet CEO Sergey Brin, Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, and the chief executives of Cisco, IBM, Intel, and Oracle. Swisher also writes that Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos—who owns the The Washington Post, which has been critical of Trump—was also invited and “is likely to attend.”

Recode indicates that Trump transition adviser Peter Thiel had a hard time convincing more tech leaders to attend, speculating that the “cool kids” of tech, like Uber CEO Travis Kalanick, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, Slack CEO Stewart Butterfield, and VCs Marc Andreessen and Reid Hoffman, were either not invited or not attending.

Tech-oriented folks like Swisher might like to believe that accepting (or refusing) the invitation represents a possible resistance against the Trump administration. But as I’ve previously argued, that opposition might ultimately be short-lived. A Trump presidency is ultimately compatible with the technology industry’s business goals: lower taxation, reduced regulation, renegotiated trade, and a campaign commitment to domestic infrastructure investment that could benefit Silicon Valley.

More likely, the Trump tech summit sends a signal to the tech industry: No longer will it enjoy the anonymity and freedom afforded by the Obama administration, whose friendly disregard for the ills of technology only history can judge. And likewise, no longer will Silicon Valley be allowed to ignore Trump’s Hollywood-style, feudal demand for sworn loyalty. This tech summit isn’t a venue for input or discussion, but a reminder of who is in charge. (Trump’s unusual, late-November meeting with The New York Times had a similar purpose.)

ThelmaLou 12-12-2016 11:41 AM

New Russia Role: USA's partner to save the West from Islam

Not just "radical Islam," but ALL Islam, which Trump and the extreme right view as the enemy of Western Civilization. To them, Putin is our new best friend in this epic global struggle. Trump's people are on board with this blanket condemnation of an ancient religious civilization. Obama refused to use the term "radical Islam" because of the word Islam-- he didn't want to condemn the whole religion. Trump, et al. have no such hesitation. And his people are too incapable of critical thinking and too uneducated to see the difference. :smack:

This is a presentation of the timeline of shifting perspectives on Russia. I'll summarize with excerpts as best I can, but it's worth reading the whole thing.

From The Atlantic
My bold.

Quote:

Through his public statements and presidential appointments, Donald Trump is remaking Republican foreign policy in two fundamental ways. The first concerns Russia. Previous GOP leaders like Mitt Romney and John McCain described Moscow as an adversary. Trump describes it as a partner. The second concerns Islam. Previous GOP leaders—most notably George W. Bush—insisted that the U.S. had no beef with Islam, or with the vast majority of Muslims worldwide. Trump and his top advisors disagree. They often describe Islam itself as a hostile force, and view ordinary Muslims as guilty of jihadist sympathies until proven innocent.

On the surface, these two shifts seem unrelated. But they’re deeply intertwined. Before Trump, Republican leaders generally described the United States as fighting an ideological struggle against the enemies of freedom. Now, Trump and his advisors describe America as fighting a civilizational struggle against the enemies of the West. Seen through that very different lens, Muslims look more nefarious and Vladimir Putin looks more benign.
[Important stuff skipped here]
When he ran for president, Trump realized that on Islam, as on trade, Republican elites were out of step with the Republican base. Trump distinguished himself from his rivals not by proposing a different strategy against ISIS. He distinguished himself by suggesting that the problem was not merely ISIS, or even “radical Islam,” but Muslims in general. Republican leaders reacted to Trump’s call for banning Muslim immigration to the U.S. with revulsion. But, according to surveys, more than seven in 10 GOP voters supported it.

Trump also broke with his establishment rivals by taking a softer line on Russia. Maybe financial interests motivated him. Maybe he just likes authoritarian tough-guys. Whatever the reason, the deviation seemed politically dangerous given the overwhelming hostility to Putin among GOP foreign-policy elites. But Trump’s pro-Putin line hasn’t hurt him. In fact, Republicans as a whole have grown markedly less anti-Russian since 2014.
Among the alt-right, Putin is a very popular man. He’s popular because he resists the liberal, cosmopolitan values that Muslims supposedly exploit to undermine the West. Richard Spencer, who was until recently married to a pro-Putin Russian writer, has called Russia the “sole white power in the world.” Matthew Heimbach, another prominent figure in the alt-right, recently told Business Insider that “Russia is the leader of the free world.”
Trump is building on this shift to recast GOP foreign policy. He’s moving it away from an ideological confrontation with authoritarian Russia and toward a civilizational conflict with Islam. Trump’s choice for National Security Advisor, General Michael Flynn, has tweeted that “fear of Muslims is rational” and that Islam is “like cancer” When asked in August about Putin, he explained that America “beat Hitler because of our relationship with the Russians” and we should renew that partnership in the new world war against “radical Islamism.” Trump’s chief strategist, Steve Bannon, likes to talk about the “long history of the Judeo-Christian West struggle against Islam … a war of immense proportions” that continues to this day.
This is the backdrop to the looming conflict between Donald Trump and congressional Republicans like John McCain and Lindsey Graham who want to investigate Russia’s efforts to elect him....

CatandMouse 12-12-2016 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19841868)
Makes me wonder if Trump will have his minions scouring message boards like this one to find out who is saying tacky things about him. If that happens, I'm screwed! Mayberry will be too hot to hold me! :eek:

I'm surprised Donald hasn't blocked me on Twitter. lol

SteveG1 12-12-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eulalia (Post 19840323)
I just wish he'd put Tommy Chong in charge of the DEA.

or Walter White :D

SteveG1 12-12-2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drad dog (Post 19843909)
Weren't a lot of Trump voters the ones who never shut up about Obamas drone policy?

Yes.

SteveG1 12-12-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

...How much more "Give Trump a chance!" are we supposed to extend to him, again? ...

How about...

None.

Der Trihs 12-12-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 19845403)
How many jobs will this cost the #1 exporter of American products? This bastard is so nearsighted.

Not nearsighted, psychopathic. He cares about nothing but himself; he doesn't care if Boeing collapses, or if America collapses for that matter. He cares about himself. Period. Everything he does is about indulging his ego and profiting himself, regardless of the cost to anyone else.

It's part of what makes him such a perfect incarnation of the American Right.

Colibri 12-12-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19846715)
Not just "radical Islam," but ALL Islam, which Trump and the extreme right view as the enemy of Western Civilization. To them, Putin is our new best friend in this epic global struggle. Trump's people are on board with this blanket condemnation of an ancient religious civilization. Obama refused to use the term "radical Islam" because of the word Islam-- he didn't want to condemn the whole religion. Trump, et al. have no such hesitation. And his people are too incapable of critical thinking and too uneducated to see the difference. :smack:

Ironically enough, this is exactly what Al Qaeda and other jihadists have been trying to provoke. This is the best way to radicalize more Muslims and increase their ranks. Trump plays right into their hands.

CatandMouse 12-12-2016 08:34 PM

Quote:

I guess anti-Trump threads are more popular.

Is there a limit on how many anti-Trump threads we're allowed to start?

CatandMouse 12-12-2016 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions (Post 19844696)

He also says Pence does get daily briefings.

I don't know if he's saying Pence is "not smart", or if he's admitting Pence is really going to be running the country.

I think what he's saying is that Pence is in charge of domestic & foreign policy. Donald is busy being a cheerleader for himself, along with his part time job at The Apprentice & Twitter.

Damuri Ajashi 12-13-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

How many did George W bush have 10 to 15 years ago?

Its the same sort of temper tantrum that we would have seen if McCain won in 2008 or Romney won in 2012.

iiandyiiii 12-13-2016 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colibri (Post 19847849)
Ironically enough, this is exactly what Al Qaeda and other jihadists have been trying to provoke. This is the best way to radicalize more Muslims and increase their ranks. Trump plays right into their hands.

I find it more useful to see the two sides, in this issue, as the pro-religious-war side and the anti-religious-war side, rather than the pro-extremist-Muslim side and anti-extremist-Muslim side. Just like I look at issues of racial justice in terms of pro-race-war and anti-race-war.

Al Qaeda, ISIS, Frank Gaffney, John Bolton, and Michael Flynn are, by their rhetoric, all on the pro-religious-war side -- they all want a giant conflict between Islam and the west.

Just like Dylan Roof (Charleston church shooter) and the guy who shot several Dallas police officers are both on the pro-race-war side.

Ruken 12-13-2016 10:11 AM

I just got an alert from WSJ that he tapped Rick Perry for Energy.

Damuri Ajashi 12-13-2016 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruken (Post 19849060)
I just got an alert from WSJ that he tapped Rick Perry for Energy.

Wait, wasn't that one of the departments he would have gotten rid of?

Lobohan 12-13-2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi (Post 19849363)

I believe that's the actual one he forgot in the oops moment.

BobLibDem 12-13-2016 12:00 PM

Hey, we're all set. He can't eliminate it if he can't remember it, even if he heads it.

Typo Negative 12-13-2016 12:07 PM

I hear this on the radio and thought it was a joke.

Trump picks ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson to be secretary of state

Ruken 12-13-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobohan (Post 19849368)

Correct. I'm not sure he knew what it does. Maybe he's done some homework?

Euphonious Polemic 12-13-2016 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typo Negative (Post 19849406)

In a totally unrelated item, Tillerson's company, Exxon, stands to make BILLIONS of dollars in deals with Russia, once the sanctions have been lifted.

I'm sure that the fact that Tillerson is the CEO of Exxon, and has been given the Russian Order of Friendship (highest award a non-Russian can get) by Putin himself will have NO. BEARING. WHATSOEVER. on the soon to be announced lifting of sanctions.

Just think about that again.... the man whose company stands to make BILLIONS in business deals from his good Russian friends has just been named Secretary State.
Enjoy this, Republicans. Revel in it. This is now what you support - open, in-your-face, totally obvious corruption.

SteveG1 12-13-2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi (Post 19849363)

Exactly.

SteveG1 12-13-2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

It's true.

Czarcasm 12-13-2016 01:23 PM

Is Secretary of State one of the positions that has to do the "blind trust" thing?

SteveG1 12-13-2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarcasm (Post 19849623)
Is Secretary of State one of the positions that has to do the "blind trust" thing?

I have no idea.

elucidator 12-13-2016 01:54 PM

"The business of America is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Euphonious Polemic 12-13-2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarcasm (Post 19849623)

There is no such thing anymore.

The graft is pretty much right out in the open now. It's a business, and the goal is to enrich Trump and those he appoints. I would not be at all surprised if the administration has an open call for companies to pay Trump or any of his cabinet directly, in cash for preferred government treatment.

SteveG1 12-13-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elucidator (Post 19849694)
"The business of America is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Hmmmmm ...

http://www.economist.com/news/books-...-less-led-more

Quote:

“WEANED on a pickle” was how the acid-tongued Alice Roosevelt Longworth described Calvin Coolidge, America’s president from 1923 to 1929. Popular historians have been no kinder. Many blame his laissez-faire approach for prompting the Wall Street crash of 1929.

Implicit in this view is the presumption that only interventionist central government can help America recover from economic shock. Mr Coolidge’s hallmark was distrust of government. He saw it as an entity that uses “despotic exactions” (taxes) that sap individual initiative and prosperity across the board.
He also objected to public ownership of the Post Office, tax exemptions for municipal debt and farm subsidies, all of which have produced costs that still hang heavily over America.
Even in the face of natural disasters, he held back, fearing that intervention would undermine individual initiative and corrupt the national government.

SteveG1 12-13-2016 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic (Post 19849703)
There is no such thing anymore.

The graft is pretty much right out in the open now. It's a business, and the goal is to enrich Trump and those he appoints. I would not be at all surprised if the administration has an open call for companies to pay Trump or any of his cabinet directly, in cash for preferred government treatment.

I see it as a deliberate attempt to legitimize "pay to play" at the highest levels, and the crippling or destruction of the very agencies that might have stopped or at least limited the unprecedented level of corruption we will see.

dasmoocher 12-13-2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic (Post 19849448)
In a totally unrelated item, Tillerson's company, Exxon, stands to make BILLIONS of dollars in deals with Russia, once the sanctions have been lifted.

I'm sure that the fact that Tillerson is the CEO of Exxon, and has been given the Russian Order of Friendship (highest award a non-Russian can get) by Putin himself will have NO. BEARING. WHATSOEVER. on the soon to be announced lifting of sanctions.

Just think about that again.... the man whose company stands to make BILLIONS in business deals from his good Russian friends has just been named Secretary State.
Enjoy this, Republicans. Revel in it. This is now what you support - open, in-your-face, totally obvious corruption.

It's all part of the master plan. Once the EPA is gutted and the Arctic warns up, Exxon will have access to new oil fields! :eek:

ThelmaLou 12-13-2016 03:39 PM

My God! Calvin Coolidge is a 2016 Republican! :eek:

HurricaneDitka, I believe this man would be your ideal president, amirite?
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveG1 (Post 19849723)
http://www.economist.com/news/books-...-less-led-more
Quote:

“WEANED on a pickle” was how the acid-tongued Alice Roosevelt Longworth described Calvin Coolidge, America’s president from 1923 to 1929. Popular historians have been no kinder. Many blame his laissez-faire approach for prompting the Wall Street crash of 1929.

Implicit in this view is the presumption that only interventionist central government can help America recover from economic shock. Mr Coolidge’s hallmark was distrust of government. He saw it as an entity that uses “despotic exactions” (taxes) that sap individual initiative and prosperity across the board.
He also objected to public ownership of the Post Office, tax exemptions for municipal debt and farm subsidies, all of which have produced costs that still hang heavily over America.
Even in the face of natural disasters, he held back, fearing that intervention would undermine individual initiative and corrupt the national government.

jshore 12-13-2016 03:46 PM

I see a theme in many of these appointments: For Secretary of Energy, Labor, Education, and the Head of the EPA, he has basically gone and found the person who is most opposed to the mission or very existence of these departments and put them in charge.

Morgyn 12-13-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshore (Post 19849971)
I see a theme in many of these appointments: For Secretary of Energy, Labor, Education, and the Head of the EPA, he has basically gone and found the person who is most opposed to the mission or very existence of these departments and put them in charge.

Cough.

I swear, I am invisible.

Czarcasm 12-13-2016 03:52 PM

Quote:

I'm surprised someone hasn't brought this up before.

SteveG1 12-13-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Exactly.

SteveG1 12-13-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarcasm (Post 19849990)
I'm surprised someone hasn't brought this up before.

So am I. Shocked! Shocked! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveG1 (Post 19849734)
I see it as a deliberate attempt to legitimize "pay to play" at the highest levels, and the crippling or destruction of the very agencies that might have stopped or at least limited the unprecedented level of corruption we will see.

ThelmaLou 12-13-2016 04:10 PM

It's deja vu all over again. Again.

Stranger On A Train 12-13-2016 04:18 PM

Well, at least he's has his priorities in line: CNN: "Kanye West meets with Donald Trump at Trump Tower".

Trump could certainly use some sound life coaching and advice on dealing with the stress of being a major public figure known for making cogent statements and sound fiscal decisions. This is much better time spent than, say, getting a daily briefing on the state of national security and foreign relations.

Stranger

SteveG1 12-13-2016 04:19 PM

Well fuck it. He won't be running the country, Putin will.

Euphonious Polemic 12-13-2016 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveG1 (Post 19850066)

And let's face it. If Trump let Putin walk into Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania, the Republican voters would defend that decision mightily, as would many R's in senate and the house.

elucidator 12-13-2016 06:25 PM

Latvia. Sad.

ThelmaLou 12-13-2016 07:48 PM

It. Just. Keeps. Getting. Worse.

How can people (including some Dopers) be blind to the kind of man who will soon be president?? And act like it doesn't matter??

Quote:

Donald Trump, the all-knowing know-nothing

...Today we stand on the verge of a new presidency, one that has a complex and, to be frank, rather appalling relationship to knowledge and certainty. The implications are deeply troubling.

In Donald Trump, we may never have seen a political figure who more easily blended his own certainty with a contempt for the knowledge of others and the belief that knowledge itself is largely irrelevant to making vital decisions. It may have had a rational basis for a candidate running with zero relevant experience, but throughout the campaign, Trump poured contempt on the idea that knowing about things like policy and how government works might be useful for a president. "I know more about ISIS than the generals do, believe me," he said. He didn't need to seek counsel on foreign affairs because "I have a very good brain and I've said a lot of things." And in an interview on Sunday, he said he isn't bothering to receive daily intelligence briefings like previous presidents did, because "I'm, like, a smart person."

So Trump knows all. Yet at the same time, he tries to convince the public that there's almost no such thing as truth. He lies constantly, of course, dismissing any evidence contrary to the position he's taking at a particular moment as nothing but the product of dishonest media or his partisan opponents. He'll even say something, then tell you he never said it. Simultaneously, he tries to convince the public that we live in a land of the unknowable. ...

Cite

Damuri Ajashi 12-13-2016 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobohan (Post 19849368)

I like Rick Perry and I think he'd make a decent bartender or preacher but how do you put that guy in charge of a department full of our best scientists and oversight of our nuclear weapons and nuclear power plants. I mean, he's not Homer Simpson but wtf?

dasmoocher 12-13-2016 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveG1 (Post 19850018)
So am I. Shocked! Shocked! :D

Of all the countries in all the world, he had to get elected in mine.

Quote:

Putin can see his new house from Russia--the White House.

running coach 12-13-2016 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi (Post 19850489)
I like Rick Perry and I think he'd make a decent bartender or preacher but how do you put that guy in charge of a department full of our best scientists and oversight of our nuclear weapons and nuclear power plants. I mean, he's not Homer Simpson but wtf?

But he'd like to be.

GIGObuster 12-13-2016 08:20 PM

Can someone point to any Trump cabinet member that does not deny science?

Trump taps Montana congressman Ryan Zinke as Interior secretary, demonstrating that Republicans do want to send us to the dark ages.

dasmoocher 12-13-2016 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGObuster (Post 19850538)
Can someone point to any Trump cabinet member that does not deny science?

Trump taps Montana congressman Ryan Zinke as Interior secretary, demonstrating that Republicans do want to send us to the dark ages.

Well, Mad Dog probably believes in the physics of kinetic projectiles on human anatomy. So, there's two fields of science that he might accept.

dasmoocher 12-13-2016 08:44 PM

I'm starting to believe my own conspiracy theory is that these people don't really deny global warming privately--they're counting on it being real to open up the Arctic for drilling! I use to say this in jest, but with Trump, it might actually be real. :eek:

ThelmaLou 12-13-2016 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasmoocher (Post 19850583)
I'm starting to believe my own conspiracy theory is that these people don't really deny global warming privately--they're counting on it being real to open up the Arctic for drilling! I use to say this in jest, but with Trump, it might actually be real. :eek:

I think you're right.

Defensive Indifference 12-13-2016 09:46 PM

Newsweek has a good round up of some of Trump's most worrisome conflicts of interest. It's a long piece, but well worth reading. It describes a long list of business entanglements that present the possibility of influence peddling, corruption, and coercion. It summarizes them:
Quote:

Given the extraordinary power Donald Trump now wields, it’s obvious that foreign governments and corporations can easily curry favor, bribe or even blackmail him, which is why the Founding Fathers so feared outside influences on the Executive Branch. Once he’s president, Trump does not need to ask for cash to be delivered to his pockets or to those of his children to cross the line into illicit activities—and possibly impeachable offenses. Macri of Argentina cannot know if his country will be punished by the Trump White House if the remaining permits for that Buenos Aires project are denied. Abe of Japan does not know if a government holdup of Ivanka Trump’s deal with Sanei International will lead her impulsive father to call for an American military withdrawal from his country. Erdogan of Turkey has told associates he believes he must keep pressure on Trump’s business partner there to essentially blackmail the president into extraditing a political enemy. Duterte of the Philippines believes he has received approval from the president-elect to, at best, abide by or, at worst, continue to authorize the frenzied slaughter of drug users and dealers, and knows he can harm the Trump family if the president ever angers him.
Parts of the article are a little dense, but stick with it. Eichenwald explains it well.

One of Trump's arguments from early in the campaign was that he was so rich that he couldn't be bought. This was always transparently ridiculous. But now we have direct evidence of how venal he really is. Ivanka (with no official government position) sits in on Trump's first meeting with Japan's Abe, evidently in order to advance business interests. Trump has a call with Macri and three days later the permitting issues that had plagued a development project in Buenos Aires are magically resolved. In Turkey, Erdogan detains a Trump business partner, apparently to pressure Trump to extradite the suspected leader of the recent coup, whom the Obama administration had been uninterested in turning over. There's more, none of it any good.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/12/23/d...us-531140.html

Little_Pig 12-14-2016 06:45 PM

Quote:

Hey Typo Negative. Look at the upside. ==>Chicago Strip Club Gives Free Lap Dances.<==

This could replace Medicare!

SteveG1 12-14-2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi (Post 19848888)

Its the same sort of temper tantrum that we would have seen if McCain won in 2008 or Romney won in 2012.

I doubt it. I seriously doubt it. Even considering "philosophical" differences, McCain and Romney were intelligent, competent, and SANE.

SteveG1 12-14-2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasmoocher (Post 19850549)
Well, Mad Dog probably believes in the physics of kinetic projectiles on human anatomy. So, there's two fields of science that he might accept.

Think about this for a while ...

The one called Mad Dog is probably the LEAST crazy one of the bunch.

CatandMouse 12-14-2016 09:18 PM

Quote:

And I was so sure that Pence would be running the country...

Damuri Ajashi 12-14-2016 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveG1 (Post 19853385)
I doubt it. I seriously doubt it. Even considering "philosophical" differences, McCain and Romney were intelligent, competent, and SANE.

That's the point. It wouldn't matter. If a republican wins there is going to be a temper tantrum on this board. The Trump victory was actually followed by a few days of stunned fucking silence before the temper tantrums started but the same people starting multiple pit threads on Trump would have done the same with Romney and McCain. And probably sooner.

drad dog 12-14-2016 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi (Post 19853504)
That's the point. It wouldn't matter. If a republican wins there is going to be a temper tantrum on this board. The Trump victory was actually followed by a few days of stunned fucking silence before the temper tantrums started but the same people starting multiple pit threads on Trump would have done the same with Romney and McCain. And probably sooner.

You are the tantrum I've observed lately. Endless bawling, repetition, blaming, and projecting.

Hillary was another politician, not lots worse nor lots better. She lost. Let it go or run yourself.

Siam Sam 12-16-2016 12:13 AM

Trump's administration has already become a bad joke weeks before it's even started.

galen ubal 12-16-2016 01:27 AM

Trump has made 17 picks for his cabinet. Added together, they have more wealth than the bottom one-third of American households, according to this article.

Bridget Burke 12-16-2016 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drad dog (Post 19853536)
You are the tantrum I've observed lately. Endless bawling, repetition, blaming, and projecting.

Hillary was another politician, not lots worse nor lots better. She lost. Let it go or run yourself.

You'd think our local Republicans would be full of joyous anticipation of the future that awaits. They should be regaling us with tales of The Greatness of The Donald & The Wisdom shown by his Cabinet Choices. Let's hear more about Rick Perry & Ben Carson!

Instead, they keep telling us that Hillary was "flawed." The more we learn about Trump, the better she looks. Well, more Americans did prefer her...

Grim Render 12-16-2016 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi (Post 19848888)

I think there is a noticeable difference. People have advanced getting Romney or McCain in instead of this guy. If they had won in 2008 or 2012, I don't see the same "any other Republican" desire.

Nava 12-16-2016 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drad dog (Post 19839767)
Too bad Bill Cosby is black. He would be the perfect Ombudsmen. It's going to be a big job.

Nah, being black means he can get to be Trump's second black.

Damuri Ajashi 12-16-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drad dog (Post 19853536)

You seem to think of anything that disrupts your bubble thinking as a temper tantrum. I'm just dropping some truth on you guys and you can't see it because you still can't get over the fact that Madonna Hillary was a horrible candidate. For every thread I have started about why Hillary deserves the blame for this loss, there are an infinite number of threads started about how Trump won because all the racists (who stayed home when a black dude was running for President) voted for him, because I have started exactly zero threads. I just refute all the bullshit being thrown around about why we lost the election. We are trying to fight ignorance after all.

Hillary was a horrible politician. She never won an election where the skids weren't greased for her. But we nominated her because she insisted it was her turn and she was going to win. Well, she lost and she owns that.

Damuri Ajashi 12-16-2016 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Render (Post 19856361)
I think there is a noticeable difference. People have advanced getting Romney or McCain in instead of this guy. If they had won in 2008 or 2012, I don't see the same "any other Republican" desire.

I understand Trump is worse but we have buried the fucking needle on demonizing the Republican candidates. What could we say about Trump that we haven't already said about McCain and Romney?

Do you doubt for a second that we would have seen wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board if Romney won in 2012? The partisans on this board have cried wolf so often that its just par for the course.

Channing Idaho Banks 12-16-2016 09:34 AM

That's the problem with crying wolf!