Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The Game Room (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Lord of the Rings Online - missing quest (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=881560)

aruvqan 09-05-2019 08:47 PM

Lord of the Rings Online - missing quest

OK, I have been playing LOTRO off and on since I was in closed Beta, and I have a vague memory of a quest, but I am not sure it is still in the game. Though I suppose I could have imagined it...

The quest would have been in the early years of the game, I think possibly before Mines of Moria went live. I believe it had one of those backstory flash backs to a tribe of hillmen/sort of aboriginals. I also vaguely remember some sort of orb or sphere on a small hilltop.

Sorry for being vague. I tried hitting Google, and didn't turn up anything, but for some reason I think the name was something like Dum Burri Dum [but that isn't it, but the third word is the same as the first word.] I also think we are trying to get the guy who is the leader of his tribe to honor a promise of help in a fight.

[I am actually watching the trilogy while playing =) I am currently on Arkenstone as Miclic]

wolfman 09-05-2019 08:56 PM

Unfortunately it Doesn't sound too familiar to me, I played a bunch from beta to Moria. The only thing that immediately came to mind was the Dwarf introductory quest line about the Shornbeard Clan of dwarves, but I have no idea why.

Or also the name reminds me of The wildmen and their names like Ghân-buri-Ghân, but I don't recall any of them in LOTRO. Is it possible you are conflating another Middle-Earth game?

Atamasama 09-06-2019 12:08 AM

I also played a lot from beta up until Lothlorien. I played every quest, I was a completionist, and that quest doesn’t sound familiar at all.

ETA: The only “aborigines” I can think of were the Lossoth in Forochel. They were nomadic tribesmen but were more like Inuit.

aruvqan 09-06-2019 01:16 AM

Thanks, but it may have been something they were playing with in Beta, mrAru remembers something like it as well.

Ah well, it isn't like there is a derth of stuff to do =)

Nauplius 09-06-2019 10:14 AM

how big of an orb are you remembering? There are some quests around the Stone of Erech (big black orb on top of a hill) in Gondor that match your description but they come quite a bit after Moria.

Nauplius 09-06-2019 10:26 AM

Here's what I'm talking about. Does this look familiar?

Volume III, Book 3, Chapter 2