Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The Game Room (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   No Man's Sky - First star to the right, and straight on till morning. (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=798189)

Battle Pope 07-11-2016 09:16 PM

No Man's Sky - First star to the right, and straight on till morning.
 
Quote:

No Manís Sky is a game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated galaxy,
http://www.no-mans-sky.com/about/

Went gold a few days back and is due for release early/mid August.

Looks mighty good and if they can make it work will be a huge accomplishment for a small team.

Anyone else looking to get it?

DigitalC 07-11-2016 09:23 PM

It really feels like it should be a multiplayer online game.

Pork Rind 07-11-2016 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalC (Post 19470408)
It really feels like it should be a multiplayer online game.

It is though, isn't it?

Battle Pope 07-11-2016 09:45 PM

It is in that you may encounter another player but given the size of the 'universe' it's highly unlikely. AFAIK it's a shared 'verse (a bit like Elite: Dangerous), as you discover and name planets or species they are loaded to the server and if another player passes through the same area they will see the name you gave it.

Pork Rind 07-11-2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Pope (Post 19470450)
It is in that you may encounter another player but given the size of the 'universe' it's highly unlikely. AFAIK it's a shared 'verse (a bit like Elite: Dangerous), as you discover and name planets or species they are loaded to the server and if another player passes through the same area they will see the name you gave it.

I thought, and I can't point to where I picked this up, that there was some sort of endgame where ultimately everyone heads to the center of the galaxy and there would be more interaction there.

Battle Pope 07-11-2016 10:15 PM

That is, I believe, the idea behind the game but you only have to go there if you really want to.

Skywatcher 07-12-2016 01:48 AM

Sprung for the Steam pre-order back in May or so.

Rigamarole 07-12-2016 02:55 AM

The horrible truth about No Man's Sky.

Richard Pearse 07-12-2016 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Pope (Post 19470450)
It is in that you may encounter another player but given the size of the 'universe' it's highly unlikely. AFAIK it's a shared 'verse (a bit like Elite: Dangerous), as you discover and name planets or species they are loaded to the server and if another player passes through the same area they will see the name you gave it.

As I understand it, once you have discovered a planet you can share the coordinates so other people can visit.

Mahaloth 07-12-2016 01:55 PM

Straight-forward question:

What do you do in this game?

I hear the hype and going through space sounds neat, but I wonder what you do.

Snowboarder Bo 07-12-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigamarole (Post 19470860)

Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there! That was fucking awesome!

pieceoftheuniverse 07-12-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahaloth (Post 19471883)
Straight-forward question:

What do you do in this game?

I hear the hype and going through space sounds neat, but I wonder what you do.

It's basically a survival game. You mine, gather resources, trade with aliens. Most planets have no atmosphere, so you have to watch your oxygen levels as you mine in the desolate landscape. Other planets have other hazards: too cold, too hot, voracious wildlife, etc.

If you've ever played Starbound (or Terraria), it sounds very similar to that. You need fuel (which you need to mine for) to get to the next star system. Ostensibly, the goal is to get to the center of the galaxy, but it gets progressively more dangerous the farther in you go. So you also have to mine for better materials to make better weapons, armor, etc.

G0sp3l 07-12-2016 02:34 PM

First star to the right? First? Thou art surely a madman, birthed from the bowels of hell!!

msmith537 07-14-2016 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahaloth (Post 19471883)
Straight-forward question:

What do you do in this game?

I hear the hype and going through space sounds neat, but I wonder what you do.

It kind of sounds like Spore or Space Engineers or other games where you basically just explore around a mostly barren planet filled with wildlife. And because it's just you and the odds of actually meeting another player are so slim, it's more Moon or The Martian than Star Wars or Star Trek.

Kinthalis 07-14-2016 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmith537 (Post 19476961)
It kind of sounds like Spore or Space Engineers or other games where you basically just explore around a mostly barren planet filled with wildlife. And because it's just you and the odds of actually meeting another player are so slim, it's more Moon or The Martian than Star Wars or Star Trek.

Actually it seems as though there will be plenty of aliens abound. They were precisely going for a star wars feel. The four pillars of their game, they say, are: exploration, trade, fighting and survival. With the unlikeliness of encountering other players, there must be plenty of other trade opportunities with the AI.

I've got a copy pre-ordered on Steam, btw. Can't wait!

Fun fact: If you only spent 1 second on each planet, and it only took 1 second to travel to another one, it would take you a trillion years to visit all the planets in the game!

... which kind of makes me think $60 might a bit too steep for this indie game ;p

RandMcnally 07-14-2016 05:25 PM

I think I'm going to wait until reviews/you people comment before I grab this.

I was hyped when I first heard about it...in September 2014. By now though, meh.

SenorBeef 07-15-2016 08:29 AM

This game has reached ridiculous levels of hype. It's made by a studio that's only made some shitty movie tie in games, promising some vague but revolutionary gameplay, and it's reached Spore levels of hype. I think there's a very high chance this results in huge disappointment.

People seem to think the quadrillions of planets is a selling point, but that scares me off. If you have so many things, you aren't likely to have real meaningful differences. Okay, so one planet has orange trees and short turtle creatures. The next planet has blue trees and tall turtle creatures. And no one is ever going to discover anything you've named or modified (and in fact anything you do to a planet disappears as soon as you leave).

I can't remember the math but I remember someone ran the numbers using some generous estimate and said if X millions of people get the game and they each spend Y hundreds of hours playing and discover Z dozens of species/planets, the odds of anyone ever running across anyone else's planet is something like 2%, once, in their entire playing time. Seems like they cranked the number of planets a few orders of magnitude too high thinking that bigger was better. But I'd rather have a smaller universe where I might actually interact with someone else, even indirectly, than a big empty one full of trillions of minor permutations where I'll only ever see a millionth of a percent of it.

I don't know why anyone preorders anything without a significant discount, but this game seems like an especially bad idea to preorder.

Grumman 07-15-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenorBeef (Post 19479143)
But I'd rather have a smaller universe where I might actually interact with someone else, even indirectly, than a big empty one full of trillions of minor permutations where I'll only ever see a millionth of a percent of it.

I agree. No Man's Sky risks being the worst of both worlds: all the limitations of an MMO (no mods, an inertialess setting, shallow gameplay), without the benefit of actually having people around. The only way I think it would be worth playing is if everyone in your cluster heads to the same planet to start and then migrates from there.

Jragon 07-15-2016 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenorBeef (Post 19479143)
This game has reached ridiculous levels of hype. It's made by a studio that's only made some shitty movie tie in games, promising some vague but revolutionary gameplay, and it's reached Spore levels of hype. I think there's a very high chance this results in huge disappointment.

People seem to think the quadrillions of planets is a selling point, but that scares me off. If you have so many things, you aren't likely to have real meaningful differences. Okay, so one planet has orange trees and short turtle creatures. The next planet has blue trees and tall turtle creatures. And no one is ever going to discover anything you've named or modified (and in fact anything you do to a planet disappears as soon as you leave).

I can't remember the math but I remember someone ran the numbers using some generous estimate and said if X millions of people get the game and they each spend Y hundreds of hours playing and discover Z dozens of species/planets, the odds of anyone ever running across anyone else's planet is something like 2%, once, in their entire playing time. Seems like they cranked the number of planets a few orders of magnitude too high thinking that bigger was better. But I'd rather have a smaller universe where I might actually interact with someone else, even indirectly, than a big empty one full of trillions of minor permutations where I'll only ever see a millionth of a percent of it.

I don't know why anyone preorders anything without a significant discount, but this game seems like an especially bad idea to preorder.

Ever wonder why all the marketing saying "18 quintillion" and when it's spelled out it's some absurdly specific number? The number of planets is actually 2^64. It's just saying that their procedural generation algorithm can take any unsigned 64-bit integer and make a planet from it, as well as saying that all 2^64 unique planet IDs can in theory be accessed in the game. This is really the same as the number of games of modern Microsoft Free Cell, or probably the number of unique Don't Starve or Binding of Isaac seeds.

Everyone starts at the galactic rim, the real question is how they made the progression between that rim and the center of the universe. But focusing on "algorithms" and "18 quintillion" has really distracted the media from asking important questions about how they plan to keep the gameplay interesting and how many players they anticipate will reach the center.

E: This is one of those games that I'm getting because even if it fails, which it very well might, I want to be there when it does because it will be one hell of a conversation. I'm praying that regardless of the outcome, they do a postmortem.

Jragon 07-15-2016 02:43 PM

Also, the "goal" is to head to the galactic center, the density of people increases as you near the center, drastically increasingly the probability of finding others. Still, I think the drop-in multiplayer was a mistake and has caused a lot of confusion. This game is not meant to be multiplayer. In fact, they said there's absolutely no way to even know if the person or ship you passed was a human or an NPC. It's kind of like a mix of the ghosts (not invading phantoms, the ghosts you see walking by now and then) in Dark Souls, and the other players in Journey. Sure, you CAN see them, but the game is essentially the same without other people. Journey benefits maybe a little more from them. There's an offline mode where you don't even need to connect to a central server (though planet and creature names obviously won't be synced until you log in), other people don't matter.

I have no idea why they even added the feature. That's what makes me concerned, there seems to be no real purpose to it and my concern is they spent the development time on feature creep rather than polishing their core mechanics.

Kinthalis 07-15-2016 04:10 PM

This is a sandbox game, I think that's pretty clear. I don't see people worried about the end game of minecraft or Space Engineers.

It'll be mostly about the wonder of discovery. Eventually that will get old, but I expect that for me, that point is likely to be way past the time where I think my $60 were well spent.

Jragon 07-16-2016 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinthalis (Post 19480343)
This is a sandbox game, I think that's pretty clear. I don't see people worried about the end game of minecraft or Space Engineers.

It's not the "endgame" I'm worried about, so much as the progression. In Minecraft there are a lot of little subgoals to accomplish, which all have reasonable clear steps. There's some randomness in finding diamond, but if you want to upgrade to Diamond tools you know roughly how deep you need to go, what equipment you need, and so on.

Space Engineers is... I didn't play that much of it, it's similar but less polished (since it's in earlier access).

The thing in NMS is that you can't upgrade your ship, you have to trade for it. And I think you also have to trade for new suit upgrade crafting recipes. It's not clear how well they've distributed all of these little milestones. One of the kisses of death for these types of games is how well distributed the milestones are. Because if you want to just make a nice pretty exploration game you can just make Gone Home, Proteus, Journey etc without mucking about with all of this procedural generation, NPC trading, and space combat, and even get some success for it on a far lower budget.

A bad content distribution in a game like this actively hurts the sense of exploration because it adds arbitrary, frustrating gates on the player's ability to enjoy the experience. However, a good one can make the experience much more memorable and interesting. They haven't really been given the opportunity to share how these things are distributed. We know things like "you may not have a resource you need on a planet so you may have to go to a completely different one that may not even be nearby to get it", and that ships are randomly available for trade and can't be upgraded. What we don't know is how much effort they've put into making sure that you get ships and materials at appropriate intervals, and aren't just mad because you haven't found any silicon for 20 systems now. (This was a big problem in Starbound with its materials and pretty much killed a lot of interest in the game for a lot of people).

2ManyTacos 07-17-2016 12:31 AM

Seriously, I haven't been this excited for a game since BioShock 2 back in 2010. Everything I've seen about NMS has me almost giddy with excitement to play it, though I will admit that I'm slightly nervous about how the developers will keep this infinite exploration dynamic interesting for, well, an infinite length of time.

That said, I don't know about anybody else, but the idea of getting lost and enamored with a single planet for weeks at a time - never mind an infinite universe - has me monumentally excited.

Onomatopoeia 07-17-2016 06:41 AM

I admit I am interested in NMS. It seems to fulfill what I'd hoped for from Eve Online but never really experienced. I signed up for Eve Online in January of 2004, when the game was in its infancy, with the idea of traveling to distant solar systems and exploring. I quickly found that there really isn't much different or unique in one star system compared to any other, and you can't land on planets in any case. Now that it is virtually impossible to travel outside empire space unless you are part of an alliance or large corporation, my interest has waned greatly, even with the absolutely beautiful graphics and immersive gameplay.

With NMS, I am hopeful to get what I really want in a game set in an expansive universe: real exploration. It is not that important to me that I may never encounter other players in my travels; I am a solo player at heart anyway, even in MMOs.

From what I have seen of NMS so far, Eve Online's graphics are superior, but if NMS gives me even half of what I am expecting from an exploration perspective, I will forgive the visual shortcomings.

Richard Pearse 07-17-2016 07:29 AM

I haven't known about NMS for long so I don't have hype fatigue yet. I am concerned that a small development group have had their game hijacked by the Sony hype machine and Sony have been hyping far beyond what the developer can deliver. I'm worried that the delay in release date is because they've realized it has serious gameplay flaws and are desperately trying to save something. I hope I am wrong and it will be brilliant. I suspect the result will be something in the middle, which would be fine if it hadn't been hyped.

Onomatopoeia 07-17-2016 04:23 PM

What delay in the release date? Isn't it still scheduled for August 9?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yllaria 07-17-2016 05:32 PM

No Man's Sky? Her again?

Richard Pearse 07-17-2016 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia (Post 19484317)
What delay in the release date? Isn't it still scheduled for August 9?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It was originally scheduled for a June release but changed a few weeks prior.

Battle Pope 07-17-2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia (Post 19483495)
With NMS, I am hopeful to get what I really want in a game set in an expansive universe: real exploration. It is not that important to me that I may never encounter other players in my travels; I am a solo player at heart anyway, even in MMOs.

From what I have seen of NMS so far, Eve Online's graphics are superior, but if NMS gives me even half of what I am expecting from an exploration perspective, I will forgive the visual shortcomings.

I'm looking at this as more like Elite: Dangerous set in the Homeworld universe (an that's how I'm going to be 'roleplaying' it. Separated from the Kushan Mothership, alone and pushing on, looking for clues to Hiigara.

I really like the 1970's scifi book cover/Chris Foss/Homeworld vibe they are going for.

Mahaloth 07-17-2016 08:21 PM

I'll wait at least until next summer to pick it up unless the reviews are through the roof.

My computer can't even play Fallout 4 for some reason.

Rigamarole 07-17-2016 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Pearse (Post 19484488)
It was originally scheduled for a June release but changed a few weeks prior.

I wonder how much (if any) of that had to do with the lawsuit from Britain.

Apparently the British TV network Sky sued them because they claimed to own the word 'sky' itself. Thankfully, the developer won and got to keep the right to use the game title.

DigitalC 07-17-2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigamarole (Post 19484817)
Apparently the British TV network Sky sued them because they claimed to own the word 'sky' itself. Thankfully, the developer won and got to keep the right to use the game title.

That is some serious irony given the actual name of the game.

Richard Pearse 07-17-2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigamarole (Post 19484817)
I wonder how much (if any) of that had to do with the lawsuit from Britain.

Apparently the British TV network Sky sued them because they claimed to own the word 'sky' itself. Thankfully, the developer won and got to keep the right to use the game title.

:smack:

It wasn't mentioned in the press release but I'm sure it wouldn't have helped.

Rigamarole 07-17-2016 09:07 PM

Here's an article about it:

Quote:

While many fans had thought the name No Man’s Sky was set in stone, it turns out that the space-faring simulator has been under constant legal pressure from London-based mass media company Sky TV to remove the Sky portion of game’s name.

Now, Hello Games has finally secured the rights to retain the name No Man’s Sky after settling the dispute. According to studio founder Sean Murray, Sky TV had opened the lawsuit over three years ago, likely not long after the game itself was revealed. As is usually the case in litigation, the process of resolving the dispute took much longer than one would expect, spanning more than one thousand days before reaching a settlement.

Murray noted that while it sounds like a dispute that could be easily won, the Sky TV network had successfully forced Microsoft to change the name of its cloud-based storage service form SkyDrive to OneDrive. Taking tech giants like Microsoft to court is no small task, and we have little doubt Sean Murray’s company has invested a small fortune in order to retain the name of the game. With the lawsuit now firmly in the rearview mirror, Murray and his team are now free to focus on getting the game ready to launch this August.
Probably cost them a fortune in legal fees + the settlement. Kinda lame, Britain.

msmith537 07-17-2016 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ManyTacos (Post 19483267)
That said, I don't know about anybody else, but the idea of getting lost and enamored with a single planet for weeks at a time - never mind an infinite universe - has me monumentally excited.

How interesting can that be? I mean once you view one patch of procedurally generated wilderness, desert or snow field, I imagine the rest all probably look pretty similar.

ISiddiqui 07-17-2016 09:30 PM

I dunno. I also find that to be super exciting. I'm the type of Civ player, who likes the building and exploration part and not a huge fan of the warfare part, so my exploration side is really psyched.

Richard Pearse 07-17-2016 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmith537 (Post 19484880)
How interesting can that be? I mean once you view one patch of procedurally generated wilderness, desert or snow field, I imagine the rest all probably look pretty similar.

I don't know, minecraft can look pretty awesome at times.

Staggerlee 07-18-2016 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigamarole (Post 19484864)
Probably cost them a fortune in legal fees + the settlement. Kinda lame, Britain.

Sky TV is one of Rupert Murdoch's satanic media outlets, which explains the abhorrent monopolistic behaviour a bit.

amanset 07-18-2016 05:38 AM

I still can't decide whether to go PS4 or PC.

PS4:
Bigger screen
My home surround sound
Possible PS VR support in the future (I'm not going to buy a PC solution for a while)
Rumours of performance problems.
Sit on the sofa.

PC:
Probably much better performance
Have to sit at a desk

SenorBeef 07-18-2016 06:23 AM

So just stream your PC to your TV via any of the 200 different ways you can do it. Steamlink is probably the easiest since the interface is designed to be used that way.

Kinthalis 07-18-2016 10:17 AM

And steamlink added support for surround sound recently. It used to be stereo only, so you're covered there.

I guarantee the PS4 will have performance issues with this game, given the rumors. Also, because of that I wouldn't expect a VR version on PS4. If there is a VR version, I expect it will be PC only, or PC first, followed by one on the Neo.

Neither would I suggest a PSVR at all until at least the NEO is out and you own one. There are a lot of reports of poor performance in games, nausea, etc.

And if you've got the room, roomscale VR with the Steam VR is apparently the bees knees. Most people who have tried it say it's an entirely different animal from what Sony and the Rift (currently) can offer.

BeepKillBeep 07-18-2016 10:23 AM

The one thing that worries me about the game, and was mentioned previously, is that I'm not convinced there will be enough variety. I love the concept, I want this game to be amazing, but I feel that much of the variety will be palettes swaps. I'll definitely be looking at the reviews for this one and if I'm wrong, then it is definitely on the must-buy list.

Kinthalis 07-18-2016 10:31 AM

It's going to come down to how good their procedural generation algorithms are. How granular they are, how they interact, etc.

And how they come together with game mechanics.

TimeWinder 07-18-2016 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmith537 (Post 19484880)
How interesting can that be? I mean once you view one patch of procedurally generated wilderness, desert or snow field, I imagine the rest all probably look pretty similar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Pearse (Post 19485027)
I don't know, minecraft can look pretty awesome at times.

As can the wilderness of Earth, which is also generated by a relatively small number of simple processes combining for incredible emergent complexity.

I'm a little surprised by the mass dissing of this game based on almost no information (not so much here, but on the web in general). In a few weeks, we'll know for sure. It could be good, bad, or indifferent. And the procedurally generated aliens will probably achieve actual sentience before Star Citizen manages to release, so it's not like we don't have time to look into it.

amanset 07-20-2016 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinthalis (Post 19485814)
And steamlink added support for surround sound recently. It used to be stereo only, so you're covered there.

My one concern with these sort of things is whether a game has decent gamepad support. A lot of games don't and I don't want to sit in front of my TV with a keyboard and mouse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinthalis (Post 19485814)
I guarantee the PS4 will have performance issues with this game, given the rumors. Also, because of that I wouldn't expect a VR version on PS4. If there is a VR version, I expect it will be PC only, or PC first, followed by one on the Neo.

Neither would I suggest a PSVR at all until at least the NEO is out and you own one. There are a lot of reports of poor performance in games, nausea, etc.

I don't know, the rumours are all over the place. Some people say 30fps, some say 60. A lot of people argue that the pop in is a sign of a dodgy engine, but others say that it is just a factor of the procedural generation.

And then there's the high profile terrible PC ports that have gone on of late. The game was clearly designed for the PS4 (have we heard anything about the PC version beyond that it exists?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinthalis (Post 19485814)
And if you've got the room, roomscale VR with the Steam VR is apparently the bees knees. Most people who have tried it say it's an entirely different animal from what Sony and the Rift (currently) can offer.

I decided a while ago not to be a PC VR early adopter. I want to see who wins.

Anyway, I have preordered for the PS4. It is a pay in the shop thing across the road from work, so I can check reviews before paying and then go PC if there is anything in the reviews that worries me.

Jragon 07-20-2016 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amanset (Post 19491197)
I don't know, the rumours are all over the place. Some people say 30fps, some say 60. A lot of people argue that the pop in is a sign of a dodgy engine, but others say that it is just a factor of the procedural generation.

(bolding mine)
:dubious:

That makes almost no sense. It's still fundamentally an engine problem. It's just a matter of whether you have the memory/time to generate everything before it gets in draw distance or not. If you have the memory, this is easily solvable by just loading 2-3 more "cunks" in a radius around the player than they have draw distance.

Either way, it's not a big deal since on videos I've only really noticed pop-in when entering the atmosphere (which I'm 99% sure is just a fake loading screen), but to say it's "a factor of the procedural generation" is just weird. It's probably a desire to let you quickly fly in and out of atmosphere like they show in the trailers, rather than make you sit there in an even more awkwardly long loading screen.

JohnClay 07-20-2016 06:45 AM

(wrong thread)

amanset 07-20-2016 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jragon (Post 19491243)
(bolding mine)
:dubious:

That makes almost no sense. It's still fundamentally an engine problem. It's just a matter of whether you have the memory/time to generate everything before it gets in draw distance or not. If you have the memory, this is easily solvable by just loading 2-3 more "cunks" in a radius around the player than they have draw distance.

Either way, it's not a big deal since on videos I've only really noticed pop-in when entering the atmosphere (which I'm 99% sure is just a fake loading screen), but to say it's "a factor of the procedural generation" is just weird. It's probably a desire to let you quickly fly in and out of atmosphere like they show in the trailers, rather than make you sit there in an even more awkwardly long loading screen.

"Factor of the procedural generation" meaning that you can't compare it with a standard engine where most things are static. So yes, there may be more pop in because of that and it'll look worse than an FPS written in Unreal where the entire level is defined on load..

And we don't know how well the PC version is optimised. For all we know it may have the same issues.

Kinthalis 07-20-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amanset (Post 19491197)
My one concern with these sort of things is whether a game has decent gamepad support. A lot of games don't and I don't want to sit in front of my TV with a keyboard and mouse.

Almost all multiplat game son PC feature gamepad support. We know for a fact that this particular game does.

Quote:

I don't know, the rumours are all over the place. Some people say 30fps, some say 60. A lot of people argue that the pop in is a sign of a dodgy engine, but others say that it is just a factor of the procedural generation.
This game is definitely not 60 FPS on PS4.

Quote:

And then there's the high profile terrible PC ports that have gone on of late. The game was clearly designed for the PS4 (have we heard anything about the PC version beyond that it exists?).
First, what big profile terrible ports on PC? Batman? That's one. And it's now the best version of the game. I can't think of any others in recent YEARS, outside WB's other mess... I forget the game actually, it was a fighting game... So this seems like a WB issue mostly.

In the meantime I can't think fo a big profile game that isn't a Sony first party product that DOESN'T have frame rate or frame pacing issues. Dark souls 3 and Fallout 4 say hello, and hell Just Cause 3, is decideldy broken on PS4.

Also, you've got it backwards in terms of this particular game. There's a lot of confidence in the PC version, in fact in the last big press event, Giant Bomb mentioned that they were all playing the PC version.

Quote:


I decided a while ago not to be a PC VR early adopter. I want to see who wins.

Anyway, I have preordered for the PS4. It is a pay in the shop thing across the road from work, so I can check reviews before paying and then go PC if there is anything in the reviews that worries me.
I'm personally waiting on a price drop on the Steam VR. Too pricey right now.

Kinthalis 07-20-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jragon (Post 19491243)
(bolding mine)
:dubious:

That makes almost no sense. It's still fundamentally an engine problem. It's just a matter of whether you have the memory/time to generate everything before it gets in draw distance or not. If you have the memory, this is easily solvable by just loading 2-3 more "cunks" in a radius around the player than they have draw distance.

Either way, it's not a big deal since on videos I've only really noticed pop-in when entering the atmosphere (which I'm 99% sure is just a fake loading screen), but to say it's "a factor of the procedural generation" is just weird. It's probably a desire to let you quickly fly in and out of atmosphere like they show in the trailers, rather than make you sit there in an even more awkwardly long loading screen.

The early PS4 videos showed some serious pop in. Like entire mountains just popping out of thin air a few hundred meters in front of the player.

Newer videos look better, but who knows what it's running on.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.