Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The Game Room (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Simpsons: Tapped Out (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=674688)

Tamarin 12-13-2012 09:27 AM

I'm in...just started yesterday. My ID is JubbleJubble

HairyCactus 12-13-2012 02:48 PM

Been playing for a while now. ChrisT1701 is my name on that.

Raza 12-13-2012 03:59 PM

I have been adding a few of you. I am razabradley.

Just1Lurk 12-13-2012 04:14 PM

Okay, I think I've run out of things to spend my Santa coins on.

And how do you get the Jebediah Springfield statue?

Poysyn 12-13-2012 04:48 PM

I am DDRigs

Hockey Monkey 12-13-2012 04:54 PM

Sorry, I've been AWOL from the thread for a couple of days. I'm maxed out at 100 friends, but I need to weed a few out and I'll add SDMBers. I'm going out of town this weekend, so I won't get to doing that till next week.

Jebediah Springfield statue - when Homer is free, tap on him to open his menu. Then tap on him 10 times. (not in the menu, but the Homer standing in the town) This will unlock the statue and give you 10 donuts. One time only, naturally.

The game has been having connection issues that the developers are actively working on. If you lose your friends or get started over, don't worry, your friends and your Springfield are saved and will be there for you when you are able to log in again. Don't panic. :)

Normal tasks and Christmas tasks are running concurrently.

JustLurk, do you have the bowl-a-rama, try-n-save, all the Funzos and Santa's Little Helper yet? You will need coins for all of those. I know SLH is 1500 santa coins.

Just1Lurk 12-13-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Monkey (Post 15794361)
JustLurk, do you have the bowl-a-rama, try-n-save, all the Funzos and Santa's Little Helper yet? You will need coins for all of those. I know SLH is 1500 santa coins.

I have the bowl-a-rama, but not the try-n-save yet. I also don't have Muntz's House or Krabapple's apartment complex. I guess I got a little behind in my quests. At least I should have a ton of coins by the time the next thing gets unlocked.

I hope I get it all done before the Christmas special is over!

(BTW, it's just1lurk.)

Labtrash 12-14-2012 11:31 AM

How do you start the "quests"?

Is it random?

I see some at lower level than me as having Nelson's House, and there isnt a quest listed for it.

How do they unlock?

Loach 12-14-2012 02:36 PM

Ok just started. I'll have to try to add some of you.

So how do you use the Christmas coins?

Raza 12-14-2012 06:38 PM

Like Loach, I have coins but don't have the option to decorate houses. Lisa and Homer are currently skiing; will the option come after they finish?

Loach 12-14-2012 07:17 PM

I'm loach232. Add me if you want. I'll try to add some of you guys later.

Loach 12-15-2012 10:44 AM

I added those of you I could find.

iftheresaway 12-15-2012 11:49 AM

I was going to admonish you guys for getting me hooked on this and then not friending me quickly enough to satisfy my need for instant gratification, but then USCDiver approved my request and all was well. I'm excited to have another game to keep me entertained during the 45-second chunks of down time I get! I'm iftheresaway there.

Hockey Monkey 12-15-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labtrash (Post 15796646)
How do you start the "quests"?

Is it random?

I see some at lower level than me as having Nelson's House, and there isnt a quest listed for it.

How do they unlock?

Each quest will unlock when you progress to that point. Nelson's house is a really high up quest. Are you seeing Cletus' farm? If you look in you build menu and click the buildings, scroll to the right and you will see what order things will come in, and what level you have to be.

Hockey Monkey 12-15-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raza (Post 15798367)
Like Loach, I have coins but don't have the option to decorate houses. Lisa and Homer are currently skiing; will the option come after they finish?

The decorations do have to unlock. I don't remember what they have to finish first, but you have to have some coins built up first by doing the quests.

Raza 12-15-2012 09:17 PM

Thanks. I've decorated a few houses, and am now saving up for a Mapple store.

USCDiver 12-16-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Monkey (Post 15801129)
Each quest will unlock when you progress to that point. Nelson's house is a really high up quest. Are you seeing Cletus' farm? If you look in you build menu and click the buildings, scroll to the right and you will see what order things will come in, and what level you have to be.

I'm confused too though, I haven't unlocked Willie's shed yet even though the info for that building says it requires level 10 and I'm at level 12 right now.

Loach 12-16-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raza (Post 15801415)
Thanks. I've decorated a few houses, and am now saving up for a Mapple store.

Me too.

Hockey Monkey 12-16-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCDiver (Post 15802159)
I'm confused too though, I haven't unlocked Willie's shed yet even though the info for that building says it requires level 10 and I'm at level 12 right now.

It doesn't go strictly by what level you are, but the quests you've completed. Someone can house farm and buy a bunch of decorations and gain lots of experience to level up, but the quests will still come in order regardless of the level attained. I've only had to wait to level up for one quest, other wise I've been two levels higher than required. Willie's shed requires Level 12 AND (Quest Name). The quest has to unlock first. :)

There is a Tapped Out Guide as well as a forum that I've found very helpful. Even though the Guide is at a site called super cheats, there aren't really any cheats you can do. The walkthrough guide is very thorough.

Just1Lurk 12-17-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Monkey (Post 15803528)
It doesn't go strictly by what level you are, but the quests you've completed. Someone can house farm and buy a bunch of decorations and gain lots of experience to level up, but the quests will still come in order regardless of the level attained. I've only had to wait to level up for one quest, other wise I've been two levels higher than required. Willie's shed requires Level 12 AND (Quest Name). The quest has to unlock first. :)

There is a Tapped Out Guide as well as a forum that I've found very helpful. Even though the Guide is at a site called super cheats, there aren't really any cheats you can do. The walkthrough guide is very thorough.

Thanks, Hockey Monkey, that guide does look helpful.

And I have to say that, while it's fun to watch Homer drive Santa's sleigh, it does play havoc with my tapping!

Loach 12-17-2012 07:37 PM

Some of you aren't accepting my friend request. :mad:

I need more tapping!

jackdavinci 12-17-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loach (Post 15807927)
Some of you aren't accepting my friend request. :mad:

I need more tapping!

I think there's a website out there with lists of people looking for tapped out friends. I've heard it maxes out at maybe 100 friends.

What I did was search in the add friends area of the app for a common word of at least six letters such as turtle. Then it shows you every user with that text string in their user name. Add enough people and at least some are guaranteed to accept.

heater2000ca 12-19-2012 02:22 PM

This may be a stupid question, but how do I accept friend requests? I've only ever sent friend requests, never seen any requests come to me. But every once in a while, there's a little number in the top corner of the origin logo. But when I click on it, I don't see anywhere to go accept anything ...

I'm still enjoying the game. I'm on level 12, and check in at least once a day. (More often if I have my phone plugged in - man, is that app a battery drainer!)

jackdavinci 12-19-2012 02:58 PM

Friends...red button...news...invites

heater2000ca 12-19-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdavinci (Post 15814274)
Friends...red button...news...invites

Aha! Thank you so much! I'd clicked on News before, but it had never clicked (haha) that the tab called Invites was, you know, people who'd invited me!

Raza 12-19-2012 08:48 PM

I have what would seem to be a good problem: I'm accumulating more Santa coins than I can spend, even after buying the Barney's Bowl-a-Rama; I think I have about 300, and getting easily 100 a day or more. Other than Christmasizing the properties at 50 per, are there any other major coin purchases coming up?

Loach 12-19-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raza (Post 15815532)
I have what would seem to be a good problem: I'm accumulating more Santa coins than I can spend, even after buying the Barney's Bowl-a-Rama; I think I have about 300, and getting easily 100 a day or more. Other than Christmasizing the properties at 50 per, are there any other major coin purchases coming up?

Just bought the bowl-a-rama and now I'm out. And Gill keeps begging me to buy the village from him. I do not have your problem.

jackdavinci 12-20-2012 01:53 AM

After Bowling comes TrynSave. And then come the little creatures, one for 750 coins and one for 1000 I think. Then Santa's Little Helper likely even more pricey. You'll need your coins. How are you getting 100/day?

Hockey Monkey 12-20-2012 08:17 AM

You get a few coins from your own Springfield, but when you go to your friend's Springfields and tap on a decorated building, you get a coin. Three coins per neighbor if they have at least 3 buildings decorated. Actually, they only have to have the Simpson's house decorated because you can wait for it to regenerate and tap it again while you are there. If you have 100 friends, that's 300 Santa coins daily, not including from your own town.

Raza 12-20-2012 10:43 AM

Like Hockey Monkey said: I have about 45 "friends" (including maybe a dozen dopers), and at 3 coins each that adds up every day. Plus 25 for my Santa's Village (which I now feel stupid for getting, since it pales in comparison to what I get from friends; but at least it allows Santa Homer), and 10 for the Christmas tree.

Thanks for the info on the Try-N-Save; I didn't see it in my buyable list, but apparently I haven't unlocked it yet.

Loach 12-20-2012 05:48 PM

I just lost the Christmas decorations off Flanders house. No idea why and I can't get it back.

Labtrash 12-20-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loach (Post 15818807)
I just lost the Christmas decorations off Flanders house. No idea why and I can't get it back.

Click on the house so the window pops up.

Can you slide the house to the Xmas view?

Other than that, I got nothin'

Loach 12-20-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labtrash (Post 15819208)
Click on the house so the window pops up.

Can you slide the house to the Xmas view?

Other than that, I got nothin'

Nope it's gone.

Loach 12-20-2012 11:56 PM

Never mind. Rebooted and its back.

Loach 12-21-2012 11:41 AM

Another question, I now have I think 12 other springfields to visit. The first one they give you "other Springfield" is still there. But every time I click on that it kicks me right out of the game. I haven't been able to click on it for days. The other ones are fine. Is it supposed to do that?

Hockey Monkey 12-21-2012 12:02 PM

It's not supposed to kick you out, but you don't need to visit it if you have other towns to go to. There aren't any decorated houses in Other Springfield anyway, so until the Christmas update is over, I wouldn't worry about going there.

Loach 12-23-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Monkey (Post 15821484)
It's not supposed to kick you out, but you don't need to visit it if you have other towns to go to. There aren't any decorated houses in Other Springfield anyway, so until the Christmas update is over, I wouldn't worry about going there.

It's still doing it. But like you said, it's not a big deal.

I got lots of friends by going to the forum linked above and adding my name to the list there.

One other thing, I think Gil is the greatest marketing tool ever. I feel so sorry for him I want to buy from him so his kids can have Christmas.

Labtrash 12-23-2012 10:36 AM

Do you have to get the funzos before Santa Little Helper is available?

Raza 12-24-2012 07:54 PM

I'm there now. It seems you have to get at least one (I picked the cheapest one). And then SLH is 1500 coins. Yikes! I mean, Humbug!

Hockey Monkey 12-24-2012 08:45 PM

I bought one Funzo, then Santa's Little Helper, and I just finished up with the last Funzo this morning.

yearsofstatic 12-25-2012 05:23 AM

Just signed up because of this thread. ID: Yearsofs. I'll add some peeps as I could use some neighbors!

Hockey Monkey 12-28-2012 09:55 PM

Now that the Christmas Update is winding down and folks don't need so many Santa Coins, I'm going to cull down my friends list, but I want to keep the SDMB folks. If I haven't added you yet, it's because I was maxed at 100, but as I delete people, it will free up space. If I accidentally delete you, I'll ask forgiveness and re-add me. It won't be intentional.

Blisters 12-30-2012 12:05 AM

Yay! I need Santa Coins.

I am thehentzel there and am looking forward to adding you as friends.

Again: Yay!

BulwerLytton 12-30-2012 12:37 AM

Homered in

I confess. I'm a Simpsons junkie as well. Thanks for the tip on the Jedediah statue. How'd you figure that out?

Labtrash 12-30-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Monkey (Post 15841560)
Now that the Christmas Update is winding down and folks don't need so many Santa Coins, I'm going to cull down my friends list, but I want to keep the SDMB folks. If I haven't added you yet, it's because I was maxed at 100, but as I delete people, it will free up space. If I accidentally delete you, I'll ask forgiveness and re-add me. It won't be intentional.

Same here ! Apologies in advance !

It just takes too damn long to wade thru 100 Springfields !

pancakes3 12-30-2012 03:05 PM

I'm ericcshen and I've sent out a few friend requests. Perfect game for a lazy sunday.

Loach 12-30-2012 04:05 PM

When does the Christmas thing end and what happens to the Santa coins?

pancakes3 12-30-2012 04:16 PM

event ends on the 3rd but i don't know what happens to the coins.

Labtrash 12-31-2012 01:13 AM

Okay, here's a list of Doper / Tapped IDs

I hope I get these right

Doper / Tapped (<<< = same name for both)

Hockey Monkey / pimaspi
Just1Lurk / sarusim
USCDiver / <<<
heater2000ca / <<<
jackdavinci / <<<
Labtrash / <<<
Happycamper*5 / happycamper5
Loach / loach232
slackerboss / <<<
luvrbcs / Luvrbcs2
Tamarin / JubbleJubble
HairyCactus / ChrisT1701
Raza / Razabradley
Poysyn / Ddrigs
iftheresaway / <<<
yearsofstatic / yearsofs
Blisters / thehentzel (I can't find this name to add it)
BulwerLytton / <<<

jackdavinci 12-31-2012 08:33 AM

you can add jonjackturtl to the list