Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How has President Trump pissed you off today? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=816812)

Elendil's Heir 12-27-2018 09:19 AM

The CINC (mis)leads the troops, in more ways than one: https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/26/polit...ain/index.html

DesertDog 12-27-2018 09:25 AM

Well, to be fair, it was the largest pay increase in ten years (not the only) so, unlike most of Donny Two-scoops pronouncements, it wasn't cut from whole cloth.

Of course, he had dick to do with it anyway, par for the course.

Fear Itself 12-27-2018 09:13 PM

Trump Administration suggests furloughed workers do chores for landlords to help pay rent.

dasmoocher 12-27-2018 09:21 PM

From the article:

"The agency also urged workers to “please consult with your personal attorney” for any required legal advice amid the partial government shutdown, during which nearly 800,000 workers have either been furloughed or asked to work without pay."

Maybe they can also do chores for their lawyers in exchange for legal advice.

Defensive Indifference 12-27-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasmoocher (Post 21399644)
From the article:

"The agency also urged workers to “please consult with your personal attorney” for any required legal advice amid the partial government shutdown, during which nearly 800,000 workers have either been furloughed or asked to work without pay."

Nah, it's likely that a worker who needs to trade manual labor for rent is going to find it practical to pay an attorney for assistance.

Monty 12-27-2018 10:58 PM

I don't even want to know what his advice is for females in that situation.

Ike Witt 12-27-2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty (Post 21399749)
I don't even want to know what his advice is for females in that situation.

Sleep with Trump for a minimum $130,000?

Maus Magill 12-28-2018 09:40 AM

Don't you mean not sleep with him? After all, he paid $130,000 to not sleep with Stormy Daniels.

Elendil's Heir 12-28-2018 11:08 AM

That was certainly win-win for Stormy.

Skywatcher 12-28-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

From the article:

And what are those with a mortgage supposed to do? Work for the bank?

ThelmaLou 12-28-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywatcher (Post 21400366)

Are you suggesting that some federal workers are homeowners?? :eek: Surely not! They're just menials, after all, aren't they? Nameless, faceless cogs in the gummint machine. Kinda like the immigrants. Not worthy of individual notice.

enipla 12-28-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 21400427)
Are you suggesting that some federal workers are homeowners?? :eek: Surely not! They're just menials, after all, aren't they? Nameless, faceless cogs in the gummint machine. Kinda like the immigrants. Not worthy of individual notice.

According to Donnie most of them are democrats too.

k9bfriender 12-28-2018 01:21 PM

Okay, so lets say that workers work something out with their landlords to keep from being evicted. What does this do for the landlords?

If a landlord has a tenant or two who can't pay, that's just the landlord's deal, and he will have little choice to eat the costs until he can get them evicted and replaced with paying tenants.

When the number is higher, even if only 10-20%, that landlord is going to start having trouble paying the bills on the property. The landlord isn't going to be able to make trades with the bank, the utilities, the tax commision that all want his money.

Fear Itself 12-28-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9bfriender (Post 21400573)
When the number is higher, even if only 10-20%, that landlord is going to start having trouble paying the bills on the property. The landlord isn't going to be able to make trades with the bank, the utilities, the tax commision that all want his money.

That's easy. The landlord pays his bills with the the money he saves by not having to pay maintenance people. Of course, now they're out of a job, so they can't pay their landlord... It is barter all the way down.

Biotop 12-28-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fear Itself (Post 21400587)
That's easy. The landlord pays his bills with the the money he saves by not having to pay maintenance people. Of course, now they're out of a job, so they can't pay their landlord... It is barter all the way down.

Perhaps the landlord who is not getting paid could do some chores for the bank.

D'Anconia 12-28-2018 01:32 PM

Aren't federal employees paid a (relatively) decent salary? Why are they still living paycheck to paycheck? It's only been one week.

enipla 12-28-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

From the article:

Hey, Michael Cohen is looking for work. I'm sure he can 'fix' it.

wguy123 12-28-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D'Anconia (Post 21400590)
Aren't federal employees paid a (relatively) decent salary? Why are they still living paycheck to paycheck? It's only been one week.

Federal pay varies greatly across the range of office workers to management level (just like you would expect at any corporation).

Also, I have many automatic payments and investments timed after each automatic paycheck deposit. Missing just one would be a major PITA to temporarily rework.

Wouldn't you be pissed off if you didn't get paid because your boss/CEO was so incompetent he couldn't run his company?

running coach 12-28-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Do you ever contribute anything worthwhile or do you just live to shit on people?

Railer13 12-28-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

If you would take the time to do just a small amount of research, you would find that many Americans live paycheck to paycheck. This article states that 78% of full-time workers find themselves in that situation. And that presumably includes those highly-salaried federal employees of which you speak.

Quote:

Even those making over six figures said they struggle to make ends meet, the report said. Nearly 1 in 10 of those making $100,000 or more said they usually or always live paycheck to paycheck, and 59 percent of those in that salary range said they were in the red.

Steve MB 12-28-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Not really.

ThelmaLou 12-28-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

This is 100% irrelevant to the discussion going on. What people do with their paychecks is their business. If they get the money and throw it in a roaring fire or flush it down the toilet, that's their business. If they stuff it in 50-gallon drums and bury it in their backyards, that's their business. Whether they're down to their last $1.00 or have $1 million in the bank is completely irrelevant. Your comment has nothing to do with anything and BTW contributes as much to the discussion as it did when thump said it. So your thought isn't even original.

Skywatcher 12-28-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wguy123 (Post 21400608)
Federal pay varies greatly across the range of office workers to management level (just like you would expect at any corporation).

And also varies between metropolitan areas.

I'm in danger of being forced out of my locality because my property taxes & condo fee have been increasing at a greater rate than my salary, yet are still below the market rate to rent a place of the same size.

k9bfriender 12-28-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running coach (Post 21400612)
Do you ever contribute anything worthwhile or do you just live to shit on people?

He shits on himself too.

John_Stamos'_Left_Ear 12-28-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running coach (Post 21400612)

This is one of those deals where you know the answer but want to hear him say it, right?

ThelmaLou 12-28-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

And also... it's only been a week, but they don't know how long this is going to go on.

The Stainless Steel Rat 12-28-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Y'all know it took me all of 3 minutes to do the homework you should have done... https://www.federalpay.org/gs/2018

30 minutes detention for you!

Blank Slate 12-28-2018 05:11 PM

Living rent-free in mommy's basement tends to distort one's understanding of economic realities.

dasmoocher 12-28-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywatcher (Post 21400366)

I read this and had a flash of America after Trump's Presidency being a giant apocalyptic version of Bartertown from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

I noticed this movie quote on IMDB that sums up how the admin tries to implement its policies:

Quote:

Max: So, what's the plan?

Pigkiller: [laughing] PLAN? There ain't no plan!

running coach 12-28-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blank Slate (Post 21400894)
Living rent-free in mommy's basement tends to distort one's understanding of economic realities.

So does worshiping Ayn Rand.

Monty 12-28-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

From the article:

I got a kick out of that "consult with your personal attorney" bit. Yeah, right. All federal workers have an attorney on retainer. :rolleyes:

Monty 12-28-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blank Slate (Post 21400894)

I wonder what's going to happen if mommy happens to be a federal worker, too. That basement ain't paying for itself!

kaylasdad99 12-28-2018 08:57 PM

Huh.

Is the Administration also suggesting that landlords go along with this strategy,

The America-hating fuckstick has a long history of being a landlord. Anybody care to guess how HE would have handled such a negotiation?

running coach 12-28-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 (Post 21401108)
Huh.

Is the Administration also suggesting that landlords go along with this strategy,

The America-hating fuckstick has a long history of being a landlord. Anybody care to guess how HE would have handled such a negotiation?

Allow the work then refuse to credit the rent because the work was so badly done.

kaylasdad99 12-28-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running coach (Post 21401111)
Allow the work then refuse to credit the rent because the work was so badly done.

Heh.

Toosh, as they say in France.

asahi 12-28-2018 09:06 PM

This needs to happen.

Ordinary people by the millions need to feel the pain of a President Trump.

This is a beautiful thing. I hope the government stays shut down for 6 months, followed by a great depression.

John_Stamos'_Left_Ear 12-28-2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asahi (Post 21401118)
This needs to happen.

This is a beautiful thing. I hope the government stays shut down for 6 months, followed by a great depression.

That's pretty terrible to wish for.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

kaylasdad99 12-28-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

This needs to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear (Post 21401125)
That's pretty terrible to wish for.

Avoidance of such an outcome is one of those things that my uncle Hamlet would have called a consummation devoutly to be wished.

But in a worst-case scenario, it might be the only pathway through this wilderness. If so, better to get it over with, no?

(DISCLAIMER: Hamlet wasn't really my uncle)

John_Stamos'_Left_Ear 12-28-2018 09:40 PM

Not so sure I'd call it a "beautiful" thing or wish for it to happen.

People will die. And you know what's funny about fiscal calamity? The only thing that actually does trickle down is the pain.

I get the schadenfreude of Trump voters being kicked off Obamacare but some of them will die and even more of them will be people who didn't vote for him and don't deserve death.

But even if it's an inevitability, rooting for it is a shitty thing to do.

asahi 12-28-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear (Post 21401148)
Not so sure I'd call it a "beautiful" thing or wish for it to happen.

People will die. And you know what's funny about fiscal calamity? The only thing that actually does trickle down is the pain.

I get the schadenfreude of Trump voters being kicked off Obamacare but some of them will die and even more of them will be people who didn't vote for him and don't deserve death.

But even if it's an inevitability, rooting for it is a shitty thing to do.

It's not even that I'm rooting for it - I think it's going to happen. I'd just rather it happen sooner rather than later so that the recovery can start sooner.

Sorry, but when 63 million people vote for someone so patently unqualified to hold office...that has consequences. Don't get mad at me.

John_Stamos'_Left_Ear 12-28-2018 09:59 PM

You said it's a beautiful thing and you hoped for it. And I'll blame you for being an ass. Because you are literally saying you hope for this beautiful thing that's going to cause for many people who didn't bring this upon this country, including children, to suffer and even die.

JohnT 12-28-2018 10:01 PM

Asahi is the sort of guy who, when getting his ass kicked in a bar, cowers on the ground while being pummeled, yelling to another group of guys, saying, "See! I told you this would happen! Now they're going to get arrested, and won't THEY be sorry!"

As far as I can tell, guy, you have zero game.

asahi 12-28-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear (Post 21401166)
You said it's a beautiful thing and you hoped for it. And I'll blame you for being an ass. Because you are literally saying you hope for this beautiful thing that's going to cause for many people who didn't bring this upon this country, including children, to suffer and even die.

Ahhh shut the fuck up, tard.

You can blame me all you fucking want but I ain't your problem. You're mad at me because I expose the shit you're mad at.

Fuck you. Go fight people who are trying to eat your lunch - or don't fucking fight at all then, and just shut the fuck up.

asahi 12-28-2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnT (Post 21401169)
Asahi is the sort of guy who, when getting his ass kicked in a bar, cowers on the ground while being pummeled, yelling to another group of guys, saying, "See! I told you this would happen! Now they're going to get arrested, and won't THEY be sorry!"

As far as I can tell, guy, you have zero game.

You're the kind of guy who gets punched in the balls and says "sorry" and rolls over and enjoys getting a foot up the ass.

Skywatcher 12-28-2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asahi (Post 21401158)
It's not even that I'm rooting for it - I think it's going to happen. I'd just rather it happen sooner rather than later so that the recovery can start sooner.

Sorry, but when 63 million people vote for someone so patently unqualified to hold office...that has consequences. Don't get mad at me.

Fuck you.

Sincerely,
A not currently furloughed Obamacrat.

JohnT 12-28-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asahi (Post 21401176)
You're the kind of guy who gets punched in the balls and says "sorry" and rolls over and enjoys getting a foot up the ass.

You still haven't answered this post, oh, brave internet warrior!

asahi 12-28-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywatcher (Post 21401178)
Fuck you.

Sincerely,
A not currently furloughed Obamacrat.

Go ahead, and cry! Cry if it makes you feel better.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FancyTartArchaeocete.webm

Skywatcher 12-28-2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asahi (Post 21401182)
Go ahead, and cry! Cry if it makes you feel better.

Cry? What are you, twelve?

asahi 12-28-2018 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywatcher (Post 21401186)
Cry? What are you, twelve?

I am the last person who wants you furloughed, but I am not your problem. I have voted for rational members of the Democratic party almost exclusively since 2004 - even while living overseas, which requires more of an effort than being at home.

Skywatcher 12-28-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asahi (Post 21401216)
I am the last person who wants you furloughed, but I am not your problem.

Quote:

This needs to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asahi (Post 21401158)

:dubious: