Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The Game Room (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   MLB: July 2019 (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=878012)

silenus 07-01-2019 10:30 AM

MLB: July 2019

The Dodgers are still leading the NL West by a ton. Life is good.

Old thread here.

What Exit? 07-01-2019 01:25 PM

Crazy weekend for the Yanks and despite an incredible number of injuries they sit in 1st place in the AL and only a 1/2 game behind Dodgers for best record overall. Today is travel/jet lag recovery and then the Subway series at Citifield begins.

Happy Trade season all. It's July!

Blank Slate 07-01-2019 01:55 PM

It looks like Coors Field is back to being its old, ridiculous self: ESPN article.

A couple of eye-openers from the piece:

Outfielder Charlie Blackmon's splits:

Home: .462/.514/.992
Away: .236/.272/.382

Closer Wade Davis's splits:

Home: 9.88 ERA
Away: 0.79 ERA

Maybe they should enclose the stadium in a giant humidor.

What Exit? 07-01-2019 05:45 PM

Really bad news just hit, Tyler Skaggs of the Angels died in his hotel room in Arlington. Angels are playing at Texas today. He was only 27.

dalej42 07-01-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What Exit? (Post 21727090)
Really bad news just hit, Tyler Skaggs of the Angels died in his hotel room in Arlington. Angels are playing at Texas today. He was only 27.

I posted that on the June thread as soon as it came across on Twitter. How horrible. Iím coming up on the anniversary of my friendís death and he was only 32. Itís just awful to lose someone so young.

silenus 07-01-2019 06:26 PM

The game has been cancelled. No news yet on a make-up.

Way too young.

Locrian 07-01-2019 10:58 PM

This is crazy. No foul play? Cause? 27 years old is just awful. How does a young athlete die?

Snowboarder Bo 07-01-2019 11:18 PM

Heart attacks can happen where you least expect them.

Ulf the Unwashed 07-01-2019 11:21 PM

Awful news. Reminds me of the death of Darryl Kile back in ‘02...also in a hotel room on a road trip.

RickJay 07-02-2019 09:19 AM

Heart attack? Aneurysm? Stuff like that can happen, even to people who are young and seemingly healthy. What dreadful news.

A number of years ago former Jays pitcher John Cerutti, who worked as a commentator for the team, dropped dead in his hotel room of a heart attack. He had appeared to be perfectly healthy and was just 44.

ElvisL1ves 07-02-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locrian (Post 21727512)
How does a young athlete die?

My first thought was overdose.

RickJay 07-02-2019 10:16 AM

In June, Aaron Sanchez gave up 36 earned runs in 27 innings, for an ERA of 12.00.

In the entire history of the major leagues that is the worst June a pitcher has ever had*.

* - going with at least 25 innings pitched.

Blank Slate 07-02-2019 10:41 AM

Tyler Skaggs, Yordano Ventura, Jose Fernandez, Tommy Hanson, Nick Adenhart, Cory Lidle, Darryl Kile...all starting pitchers. That seems weird.

What Exit? 07-02-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blank Slate (Post 21728131)
Tyler Skaggs, Yordano Ventura, Jose Fernandez, Tommy Hanson, Nick Adenhart, Cory Lidle, Darryl Kile...all starting pitchers. That seems weird.

Munson & Clemente are a pair of position players who died while still playing.

If you want recent only, Oscar Taveras in 2014 & Greg Halman in 2011 were both outfielders.

There does seem to be a disproportionate number of pitchers though.
Try this list from Wiki.

Blank Slate 07-02-2019 12:01 PM

There's a list for everything. :)

Of course, pitchers must account for about half of all MLB players, but in the past 20 years there have been 14 deaths among active players: 10 pitchers and 4 outfielders.

Jackmannii 07-02-2019 02:13 PM

The story on Skaggs in Sports Illustrated online contained the following:

"Skaggs last started Saturday for Los Angeles, in which the Angels lost 4Ė0 to the Athletics. Skaggs gave up just two hits and two runs, but walked four and couldn't get through five innings for the Angels."

They didn't mention his record that prominently but it's still a bit jarring to see in a story on a ballplayer's sudden death.

Reminds me of the gag story sportswriters covering the Brooklyn Dodgers in the '50s dreamed up, with the headline "Entire Dodgers Team Dies In Plane Crash". The subheading was "Team Had Just Completed 7-3 Road Trip, Pitching Improved". :smack:

ekedolphin 07-02-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackmannii (Post 21728581)

Reminds me of the gag story sportswriters covering the Brooklyn Dodgers in the '50s dreamed up, with the headline "Entire Dodgers Team Dies In Plane Crash". The subheading was "Team Had Just Completed 7-3 Road Trip, Pitching Improved". :smack:

[Snipped.]

I hope whomever came up with that "funny, funny" headline was fired.

silenus 07-03-2019 10:24 AM

The Dodgers ended last night with a gift of 5 walks in a row to get their 4th walk-off in a row at home. Arizona closer Greg Holland was one strike away from a save when he just....lost it. He walked 4 in a row to tie the game and then his replacement walked Cody Bellinger in 4 pitches for the Dodger win. That was an ugly win, but gift horses and all that.

ElvisL1ves 07-03-2019 12:16 PM

The Red Sox are only marginal to make the wild card game with their current pitching situation. They plan to make Nathan Eovaldi the closer when he comes back (and good luck with that), but the bullpen hasn't had enough to close this year anyway. Sale and Porcello especially are still hung over from last year's parade.

Or, better, Dombrowski will make a move. Wonder how much MadBums go for these days?

Thudlow Boink 07-03-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickJay (Post 21727960)
Heart attack? Aneurysm? Stuff like that can happen, even to people who are young and seemingly healthy. What dreadful news.

A number of years ago former Jays pitcher John Cerutti, who worked as a commentator for the team, dropped dead in his hotel room of a heart attack. He had appeared to be perfectly healthy and was just 44.

I can't help thinking of Darryl Kile (also a teammate of Albert Pujols, FWIW).

If it's not too morbid, I see the LA Times has published a list of Prominent Major League Baseball players who died during their careers.

Velocity 07-03-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackmannii (Post 21728581)
The story on Skaggs in Sports Illustrated online contained the following:

"Skaggs last started Saturday for Los Angeles, in which the Angels lost 4Ė0 to the Athletics. Skaggs gave up just two hits and two runs, but walked four and couldn't get through five innings for the Angels."

They didn't mention his record that prominently but it's still a bit jarring to see in a story on a ballplayer's sudden death.

I recall a sports story from a decade or so ago about a college football lineman who had suddenly died of unknown causes. The headline was something like, "College Football Lineman Found Dead, Paves Way for 5-Star Recruit (to replace him)."

Blank Slate 07-03-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves (Post 21730389)
The Red Sox are only marginal to make the wild card game with their current pitching situation. They plan to make Nathan Eovaldi the closer when he comes back (and good luck with that), but the bullpen hasn't had enough to close this year anyway. Sale and Porcello especially are still hung over from last year's parade.

Or, better, Dombrowski will make a move. Wonder how much MadBums go for these days?

Eovaldi letting it fly for one inning at a time? He might be an excellent closer.

Atamasama 07-03-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocity (Post 21730543)
I recall a sports story from a decade or so ago about a college football lineman who had suddenly died of unknown causes. The headline was something like, "College Football Lineman Found Dead, Paves Way for 5-Star Recruit (to replace him)."

Seems just a smidge callous.

Velocity 07-04-2019 02:56 AM

So I have a random question: Why are baseball umps invariably big heavy white old guys with a reddened complexion and an....."umpire face" (for lack of a better term)? I can't recall any skinny or minority or younger looking umps; they always look the same.

What Exit? 07-04-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocity (Post 21731746)
So I have a random question: Why are baseball umps invariably big heavy white old guys with a reddened complexion and an....."umpire face" (for lack of a better term)? I can't recall any skinny or minority or younger looking umps; they always look the same.

Age; is as it takes some time to crack the MLB from the minors.
The white part is an interesting question, it does seem weird there aren't more Hispanics as they are such a large part of the game. I can only think of one and I know him sadly as he is one of the worst umpires. Angel Hernandez.

The number of African Americans is probably close to the percentage of African Americans in the MLB these days or maybe just a little lower. Last I heard is 8% of the MLB player are African American and there are 4 umpires for 5%. C.B. Bucknor, Kerwin Danley, Adrian Johnson and Alan Porter.

I think there are only 4 Latino Umpires, but that is hard to verify.

No hard stats, but apparently there are an increasing number of Latinos working the minors.

As to Women, there appears to be very few trying to crack the gender barrier. I can't find hard numbers anywhere, but there are very few.

How to become an umpire:
Graduate from one of the Umpire Schools
Work a demanding, hated and low paying job for half a year for years
Get promoted level by level from Rookie Ball to AAA
Start getting Spring Training games and maybe join the emergency pool of Umpires.
Finally get called up to the Show.

RickJay 07-04-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

There are so many umps who are not at all big fat guys than I am honestly perplexed by this question. Lots of umps are normal looking.

There certainly aren't a lot of minority umps, but there are some.

dalej42 07-04-2019 03:21 PM

The Washington Nationals are doing exactly what hat they need to do and feasting on this weak part of the schedule. They’re 8-2 and are finally showing that they’re a real team.

What Exit? 07-04-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickJay (Post 21732387)
There are so many umps who are not at all big fat guys than I am honestly perplexed by this question. Lots of umps are normal looking.

There certainly aren't a lot of minority umps, but there are some.

About 8 are minorities. All are male. Many are out of shape, it was a legit question.

nightshadea 07-04-2019 05:03 PM

i think in the old days eric gregg was the minority ump everyone remembers mostly due to Ron Luciano's books and the fact he had a heart attack on the field ...

But yeah read Luciano's first 2 books ...there humorous but convey the miserable experience of being a minor league umpire ..and being a major league ump isn't att that impressive either .....

ElvisL1ves 07-05-2019 08:08 AM

Umps wear chest protectors that do nothing for their glamorous figures. For another, they are chosen for the job partly on the basis of, well, authoritative bearing, which is helpful in getting players to accept close calls. That means large, loud, and imperious.

divemaster 07-05-2019 09:29 AM

On the road day after day after day for half the year. Eating in hotels and restaurants. Grabbing dinner after games that end at 10:00 or 10:30 PM. This lends itself to a lot of fast food and poor eating habits. At least ballplayers get athletic-type exercise and have trainers and nutritionists and their agent to tell them to lay off the cheeseburgers if they want that big contract next year.

Sure, umps could be disciplined and eat a salad before the game and forego late-night meals and fast-food snacking, but it's hard when you are on the road. So you have a lot of hefty umps.

Colibri 07-05-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by What Exit? (Post 21732609)
About 8 are minorities. All are male. Many are out of shape, it was a legit question.

The question was why they were "invariably" "big heavy white old guys," and the second sentence implied there might be none at all who weren't. That there might be a disproportionate number of big white guys would be a legit question. But as asked, the question was at best unobservant.

dalej42 07-06-2019 02:35 PM

Today’s Nationals/Royals game which has the Nats wearing the Montreal Expos uniforms is also the free MLB.TV game of the day

KarlGauss 07-06-2019 03:09 PM

I know this is not GQ but will point out that young athletes dying suddenly is a well described 'syndrome'.

More common causes include genetic heart conditions such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (see Hank Gathers) and congenital abnormalities of the coronary arteries (i.e. abnormalities of the blood supply of the heart itself).

I assume that Skaggs and all pro/college athletes are screened for such things but short of doing a coronary angiogram, I'm not sure that all cases of coronary artery abnormalities could be detected.

nightshadea 07-06-2019 06:58 PM

i was going top share this as a funny error to a MLB news story but i did not know MLB (or some teams at least ) has a paternity list .. where if your wise is expecting and is really close to popping you can get time off
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ors/ar-AADWTkg

anyone else hear of this ?

UltraVires 07-06-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightshadea (Post 21732671)
i think in the old days eric gregg was the minority ump everyone remembers mostly due to Ron Luciano's books and the fact he had a heart attack on the field ...

But yeah read Luciano's first 2 books ...there humorous but convey the miserable experience of being a minor league umpire ..and being a major league ump isn't att that impressive either .....

Luciano's stuff is about 50 years old, but it is still just as miserable. At the start, you work in the Short Season A leagues which last 3 months per year at $2200/month.

So, not only are you away from home and family, you cannot have any other real career because most places won't appreciate you taking off 3 months so you have to fill the rest of the year with part-time gigs.

Then you are on the road every day living out of hotels and traveling with another guy full time. Far from seeing the entire country you get to see, for example, these cities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...%93Penn_League

Now, I have nothing against those cities, but they are in large part your small town, nothing to see here, stay at the Super 8, eat your continental breakfast in the morning, eat at IHOP after the game, get up and do it all over again towns. Every day. Away from home. With another guy.

The only way I can imagine that anyone wants to do it is because they love baseball, couldn't make it as a player, and hope against hope that they make the show.

kayT 07-06-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightshadea (Post 21735651)
i was going top share this as a funny error to a MLB news story but i did not know MLB (or some teams at least ) has a paternity list .. where if your wise is expecting and is really close to popping you can get time off
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ors/ar-AADWTkg

anyone else hear of this ?

As far as I know MLB has had paternity leave for the players for several years. Why does that strike you as funny?

Barkis is Willin' 07-08-2019 10:46 AM

Khris Davis has got to be the most consistent hitter in MLB history. He hit .247 in each of 2015, '16, '17 and '18 seasons. His career average before last night's game was .247247247 repeating. However, batting just .236 at the break, I don't think he'll get to .247 for a 5th consecutive year.

kenobi 65 07-08-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraVires (Post 21735741)
So, not only are you away from home and family, you cannot have any other real career because most places won't appreciate you taking off 3 months so you have to fill the rest of the year with part-time gigs.

Seven to eight months, really. Spring training starts in early March, the regular season runs from the beginning of April through the beginning of October, and if you're good at your job, you're working during the playoffs in October, as well.

Edit: on review, it looks like you were actually talking about umpiring in the minor leagues. Even then, many of their seasons typically run from April to the end of August, so that can be up to five months.

RickJay 07-08-2019 03:20 PM

And one has to assume that if you're serious about making the show as an ump, you'll take a gig in the Arizona Fall League or other offseason leagues.

UltraVires 07-08-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenobi 65 (Post 21737959)
Seven to eight months, really. Spring training starts in early March, the regular season runs from the beginning of April through the beginning of October, and if you're good at your job, you're working during the playoffs in October, as well.

Edit: on review, it looks like you were actually talking about umpiring in the minor leagues. Even then, many of their seasons typically run from April to the end of August, so that can be up to five months.

Right, I was referring to the first job you would get (if you get one) out of umpiring school which would be a "short season" A ball league like the NY-Penn League I cited. Those seasons start in early June and run through September.

Ulf the Unwashed 07-08-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraVires (Post 21738498)
Right, I was referring to the first job you would get (if you get one) out of umpiring school which would be a "short season" A ball league like the NY-Penn League I cited. Those seasons start in early June and run through September.

Less, actually. The NYP season started this year on June 14 and ends on September 2.

kenobi 65 07-08-2019 08:26 PM

At the All-Star break, MLB is averaging 1.37 home runs per game (an all-time high). As per this article in today's Washington Post, at the current pace, there'll be at least 6400 home runs over the course of the season (and quite possibly even more); even if it comes in at the low end of the projection, this'd break the current record (6105 HRs, in 2017) by hundreds of HRs.

And, meanwhile, Justin Verlander tells ESPN that the baseballs being used are a "f***ing joke":

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESPN.com
"It's a f---ing joke," said Verlander, an eight-time All-Star who is starting his second All-Star Game on Tuesday. "Major League Baseball's turning this game into a joke. They own Rawlings, and you've got Manfred up here saying it might be the way they center the pill. They own the f---ing company. If any other $40 billion company bought out a $400 million company and the product changed dramatically, it's not a guess as to what happened. We all know what happened. Manfred the first time he came in, what'd he say? He said we want more offense. All of a sudden he comes in, the balls are juiced? It's not coincidence. We're not idiots."

Atamasama 07-08-2019 08:36 PM

So in a sense, the MLB is corking its own bats?

kenobi 65 07-08-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atamasama (Post 21739091)
So in a sense, the MLB is corking its own bats?

Verlander certainly believes so, and in that ESPN article, Manfred is quoted as saying that he does believe that the balls are different (though he's attributing it to unknown variance in manufacturing).

Also, I had not realized that MLB had bought Rawlings, and thus now owns the production of MLB baseballs.

Telemark 07-08-2019 08:58 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/p...l-concussions/

Pirates catcher Francisco Cervelli is giving up catching because of 6 concussions over his 12 year career. Maybe he can be a DH in the AL, or be converted into a first baseman. You think of this more in the NFL or NHL, but catchers take a lot of abuse.

Blank Slate 07-08-2019 09:12 PM

Cervelli is effectively announcing his retirement. He's nowhere near good enough offensively to be a starting 1B or DH. It's a shame, but probably the smart move.

kayT 07-08-2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenobi 65 (Post 21739072)
At the All-Star break, MLB is averaging 1.37 home runs per game (an all-time high). As per this article in today's Washington Post, at the current pace, there'll be at least 6400 home runs over the course of the season (and quite possibly even more); even if it comes in at the low end of the projection, this'd break the current record (6105 HRs, in 2017) by hundreds of HRs.

And, meanwhile, Justin Verlander tells ESPN that the baseballs being used are a "f***ing joke":

This article certainly gave me a different picture of Verlander than I have had as an Astros fan. (For one thing he never curses in interviews!) Not sure how I feel about his attitude but apparently the balls are different. I wonder what the league will do now that one of the stars of the game has gone public with his discontent. I do agree that the game is getting a lot more boring; I miss bunts and strategy.

UltraVires 07-08-2019 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenobi 65 (Post 21739072)

People have said this stuff about juiced balls about every 5 to 10 years since I've been alive. AFAIK, there has never been verification. It cannot be that big of a conspiracy as they are hit in the stands every game. Someone can analyze them.

Blank Slate 07-08-2019 11:33 PM

Take a look at Triple A. This year they started using the same ball as MLB. So I took a look at the International League. Last season, the 14 teams played a 140 game schedule and the players combined to hit 1458 home runs. Those 14 teams are about 89 games into the schedule and they've already topped that, combining for 1552 bombs. Something is definitely up.