Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Songs that make you want to stick pencils in your ears (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=877824)

Annie-Xmas 06-27-2019 11:21 AM

Songs that make you want to stick pencils in your ears

Also known as the "Working My Way Back to You Babe" Award. There is nothing redeeming about that song, and it makes me want to poke out my eardrums. Damn The Spinners for that piece of misogynistic crap.

Second in line is Air Supply's "I'm All Out of Love."

RobDog 06-27-2019 11:37 AM

Thanks for the opportunity to get these two off my chest.

Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You

Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On

DSYoungEsq 06-27-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas (Post 21720828)
Also known as the "Working My Way Back to You Babe" Award. There is nothing redeeming about that song, and it makes me want to poke out my eardrums. Damn The Spinners for that piece of misogynistic crap.

Second in line is Air Supply's "I'm All Out of Love."

First of all, "Working My Way Back To You" is by the Four Seasons (1966). The Spinners simply did a cover that, if I remember right, was packaged with "Forgive Me Girl". You may be remembering some of the conjoined lyrics.

Second of all, how in the world is the song mysogynistic???? It's about a man who is explaining how he was a complete jerk in his treatment of his girlfriend, and now wants to get her back by doing the right thing and being the sort of guy she'd want. If that's demonstrating hatred of women, I think we could use more such "hatred". :rolleyes:

Third of all, I'm not sure why these songs make you want to put pencils in your ears. I will grant that "All Out Of Love" was extremely over-played at the time (it came during a particularly bad time of my life romantically, so I associate the song with the break-up). But it's not a horrible song by any means, just a bit on the sappy side. Songs that make me want to stick pencils in my ears are songs that have horrible lyrics, or have one of those nasty ear-worm tunes that you just know you're going to be singing in your mind for the next four days, despite not being all that much a fan of the song. "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler is on the list for me, because after seeing the literal video parodying it, I cannot hear it without thinking about how stupid the video was. I'm sure others will come along with some good examples.

Fourth of all, you should get the names of the songs right. ;)

terentii 06-27-2019 11:59 AM

"You're Beautiful" and "Nine Million Bicycles in Beijing." Both of which were played ad nauseam on adult contemporary stations at around the same time. Yecccch! :mad:

Nonsuch 06-27-2019 12:01 PM

The Spinners' version of "Working My Way" isn't my favorite song, but I'd take it over the Four Seasons' version any day of the week.

pulykamell 06-27-2019 12:05 PM

"Dame Tu Cosita" by El Chombo. Apparently, this came out in the late 90s, but was resurrected by some minion of Satan last year. It only barely broke the Top 40 in the US, but it hit #1 on the Latin charts. Drives me up a wall, and I have two kids, ages 5 and 3, who love it.

Also, "Hey There Deliliah" by the Plain White T's makes me uncharacteristically stabby for some reason. Luckily, the popularity of that one has waned quite a bit.

Gatopescado 06-27-2019 12:08 PM

Anything by Imagine Dragons. I HATE this 'band'. They make me Imagine Silence. I wish they would Imagine Talent.

Infovore 06-27-2019 12:12 PM

"Cherish" by The Association.

Anything by David Lee Roth where he makes that stupid screamy sound of his. Actually, I want to stick pencils in his ears when I hear this sound.

"Havin' My Baby" by Mac Davis.

Just Asking Questions 06-27-2019 12:14 PM

Paradise by the Dashboard Light.

It might not be a "pencils in ears" song, but it definitely a "gopher" song. I gopher the knob as soon as it comes on. Fortunately, the need to do that has virtually gone to zero thanks to iTunes.

CalMeacham 06-27-2019 12:22 PM

Being the sick individual I am, I actually like some of these songs. and no one's mentioned the ones I really hate. Like Terry Jacks' Seasons in the Sun, which sounds as if he recorded it, made it into a vinyl record, drilled a new hole for the spindle off-center, then re-recorded it from the lopsided disc.

And that's only the style, not considering the lyrics.

Or Bill Withers' Ain't no Sunshine, in which he repeats the word "I know" 26 times in a row, which makes me want to scream "Hit Bill Withers - he's stuck!"

(Acording to the Wikipedia entry, he wanted to write more lyrics instead of repeating all those "I know"s, but pro musicians talked him out of it. They should be hunted down and killed.)

If you want really bad songs, check out these books:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_B...k_of_Bad_Songs

https://www.amazon.com/Dave-Barrys-B...gateway&sr=8-1

CookingWithGas 06-27-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infovore (Post 21720971)

That was Paul Anka.

Mac Davis' big one was "Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me."

CookingWithGas 06-27-2019 12:28 PM

There are really too many to mention but I'll add Love Will Keep Us Together and Muskrat Love, the Captain and Tennille twofer, and Feelings by Morris Albert.

CalMeacham 06-27-2019 12:28 PM

I forgot to include the other book

https://www.amazon.com/Worst-Rock-Ro.../dp/0806512318

Aspenglow 06-27-2019 12:32 PM

Can't believe The Archies' 'Sugar Sugar' hasn't yet been mentioned.

pulykamell 06-27-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspenglow (Post 21721024)

I actually love that song! Perfect piece of bubblegum pop.

DSYoungEsq 06-27-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookingWithGas (Post 21721017)
There are really too many to mention but I'll add Love Will Keep Us Together and Muskrat Love, the Captain and Tennille twofer, and Feelings by Morris Albert.

Oh, please! "Muskrat Love" is awesome! You have to just get all smiles when you hear the muskrats giggling. :D

CalMeacham 06-27-2019 12:39 PM

Here's an interesting list.

I'm happy to say that I haven't heard the majority of the songs on the list. And I should probably keep it that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ered_the_worst

Dung Beetle 06-27-2019 12:55 PM

About 33 years ago, when I was in my teens, I realized that my life would be greatly improved if I never heard "Free Bird" ever again. And that very day, I made a rule that I would go to whatever lengths necessary to prevent being exposed to it. As a result, I've only had to suffer it about once per decade since then.

I admit, "Free Bird" is not the very worst song in the world. The worst is obviously "Muskrat Love", DSYoung! :mad:

FairyChatMom 06-27-2019 01:37 PM

Anything by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap - too skeevy for words.

And easily half of the songs listed already - some I'm not familiar with and there are a couple I actually like. No accounting for tastes, huh?

terentii 06-27-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq (Post 21721046)
Oh, please! "Muskrat Love" is awesome! You have to just get all smiles when you hear the muskrats giggling. :D

I prefer "Hamster Love," myself. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VomUk3m4Pf8

Snowboarder Bo 06-27-2019 01:51 PM

I've long had a personal "Bob Seger rule" when in my car; Turn The Page is particularly loathsome.

Sparky812 06-27-2019 01:52 PM

The latest? "Old Town Road" - Lil Naz X (ft. Billy Ray Cyrus)

Any of the karaoke standards for people who think they can sing...

"Respect" - Aretha Franklin
"I will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor
"It's a Man's Man's Man's World" - Tom Jones
"Piece of my Heart" - Janis Joplin

Don't get me wrong, they were great songs but you can put money on someone singing it on American Idol or at a karaoke bar. They're so cliche.

divemaster 06-27-2019 02:03 PM

That live song from Peter Frampton where he makes his guitar "talk" at the end. I hate that song. And it's so long! The second it comes on I'll switch as fast as possible over to the sports station. So then I'll listen to, say, a baseball game for a few innings and then switch back over to the Classic Rock station--and that damn song is still on!

I like Elton John. Some good songs. But I hate Benny and the Jets almost as much as I hate the Frampton thing. And that's saying a lot.

campp 06-27-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspenglow (Post 21721024)

The very first song I actively hated. I felt bad about not liking it. But, it sucked! As it turned out, I was right all those years ago.

ZonexandScout 06-27-2019 02:18 PM

I really don't mean to hijack, but I have to mention something about "Sugar, Sugar."

My wife and I just attended a performance of The Turtles' "Happy Together" tour. (They do one every year, with a variety of old acts.) Mark Volman was performing as part of the last act, but his partner was definitely not Howard "Howie" Kaylan. This other guy did a great job, even if I had no idea who he was. Mark finally introduced him...it was Ron Dante! You probably have to be from that era to understand who Dante is, but the main thing he is remembered for is being The Archies.

TL;DR: We got to hear The Archies sing "Sugar, Sugar" two weeks ago.

BubbaDog 06-27-2019 02:36 PM

The Lumineers - Ho Hey

I guess they're shouting "Hey" or something during this song but it sounds to me like somebody sneezing and coughing at the same time.

So it's like sitting in a room with somebody doing that about 50 times while some other guy plays a boring ballad.

WOOKINPANUB 06-27-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulykamell (Post 21720947)
<snip>

Also, "Hey There Deliliah" by the Plain White T's makes me uncharacteristically stabby for some reason. Luckily, the popularity of that one has waned quite a bit.

DING. DING. DING.

Winner winner, lame ass dinner! The "some reason" is the shitty, lackluster "melody", the inane lyrics and the soulless singer's grating, unhip, moronic voice. GRRRRRRRR.

Phew! I feel so much better now :p

How about that whingy pap Kelly Clarkson put out: Because of You. Because of it I have to remove myself when I hear it played lest I become a danger to myself and others.

thelurkinghorror 06-27-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

"Dame Tu Cosita" by El Chombo. Apparently, this came out in the late 90s, but was resurrected by some minion of Satan last year. It only barely broke the Top 40 in the US, but it hit #1 on the Latin charts. Drives me up a wall, and I have two kids, ages 5 and 3, who love it.

Here, this will clear that earworm.

I feel like a kid hipster because I've been hating Baby Shark for like 2 solid years before it became a meme and everybody learned about it.

xizor 06-27-2019 02:58 PM

I don't know the name of the song, but there is something by Mariah Carey where she starts screeching in the middle of the song trying to get as high pitched as possible, perhaps to break a wine glass.

robby 06-27-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas (Post 21720828)
...Second in line is Air Supply's "I'm All Out of Love."

Thanks a lot. Now I can't get this stupid song out of my head. :(

WildaBeast 06-27-2019 03:11 PM

A pair of 1990s pop songs: "Short Short Man" and "Mr. Personality" by Gillette (the singer, not the razor company). Apparently "Short Short Man" was just the toned down radio version; I just learned the original version was "Short Dick Man." I realize now that these songs were intended as satirical responses to all the misogynistic rap songs out there, but I didn't get that at the time. Regardless, they're both repetitive and annoying.

Dallas Jones 06-27-2019 03:25 PM

"I'm Not Lisa"

Lyrics

I'm not Lisa, my name is Julie
Lisa left you years ago
My eyes are not blue
But mine won't leave you…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVs-d4eBq9k

ekedolphin 06-27-2019 03:30 PM

"(What a) Wonderful World" by Sam Cooke, not to be confused with the terrific "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. No, I mean the one that goes, "Don't know much about history", etc.

Unfortunately, the local McDonald's has this and, like, six other songs on continuous loop in their dining room.

manson1972 06-27-2019 03:38 PM

That song that goes "One eight seven seven Kars for Kids..."

Aspenglow 06-27-2019 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=pulykamell;21721031]I actually love that song!. <snip>/QUOTE]

Of course you do. :)

Aspenglow 06-27-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by campp (Post 21721259)
The very first song I actively hated. I felt bad about not liking it. But, it sucked! As it turned out, I was right all those years ago.

Yes, you were!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZonexandScout (Post 21721287)
I really don't mean to hijack, but I have to mention something about "Sugar, Sugar."

My wife and I just attended a performance of The Turtles' "Happy Together" tour. (They do one every year, with a variety of old acts.) Mark Volman was performing as part of the last act, but his partner was definitely not Howard "Howie" Kaylan. This other guy did a great job, even if I had no idea who he was. Mark finally introduced him...it was Ron Dante! You probably have to be from that era to understand who Dante is, but the main thing he is remembered for is being The Archies.

TL;DR: We got to hear The Archies sing "Sugar, Sugar" two weeks ago.

I would have loved to attend a performance of The Turtles' "Happy Together" tour! But the instant I heard that idiotic "Sugar Sugar" opening, I'd have fled the room, screaming with my fingers in my ears. Ugh!

Procrustus 06-27-2019 03:55 PM

The worst song ever to hit the radio repeats this about 80 times (and does nothing else)

Quote:

Right about now
The funk soul brother
Check it out now
The funk soul brother

Biotop 06-27-2019 04:02 PM

The Best Day of My life by American Authors

Need You Now by Lady Antebellum

Million Reasons by Lady Gaga

Steve McQwark 06-27-2019 04:08 PM

"You Light Up My Life" by Debbie Boone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infovore (Post 21720971)

I have it on good authority from Dr. Johnny Fever that this song was done by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

thelurkinghorror 06-27-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson1972 (Post 21721464)

As if you needed more reasons to hate it, it's kind of a scam. It goes to a Jewish nonprofit which has a high overhead and invested in a Ponzi scheme. But disclose none of that.

Treppenwitz 06-27-2019 04:39 PM

Re: Sugar, sugar, by The Archies

Quote:

Originally Posted by campp (Post 21721259)

This cannot pass uncorrected. May I refer you to Post #15, where our colleague pulykamell noted:

Quote:

Perfect piece of bubblegum pop.
Exactly.

j

Grestarian 06-27-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xizor (Post 21721381)
I don't know the name of the song, but there is something by Mariah Carey where she starts screeching in the middle of the song trying to get as high pitched as possible, perhaps to break a wine glass.

Are you talking about ...well...90% of her catalogue because that's just her vocal range or are you talking about that disgusting let's show the world I'm (not) just as good as Olivia Newton-John and remake her "Loving You" and butcher the signature aria?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookingWithGas (Post 21721017)
...Muskrat Love, the Captain and Tennille ...

The scary thing is that their version is the up-beat remake of America's tune -- it's even on their Greatest Hits album. The original practically sounds like a dirge!

I'll nominate Anything by Nirvana and quote my guitar teacher who answered a fellow student, "What's wrong with them? Seriously? Aside from the fact that they don't understand chord structure, play the wrong chord shapes just because they think it's cool, and can't carry a tune atop their background noise, the stuff they sing about is depressing as hell -- it's like they want to commit suicide and have the audience join in for a major bloodbath!"

Weeks later, Cobain was dead...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobDog (Post 21720860)
Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You

That was the song behind the credits on Costner's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. It summed up the [end of the] movie quite well. Adams was hot in Hollywood around that time. The one that eclipsed this one was A Night In Heaven which also played at the theater where I worked. It's a rather sick movie and I had to hear that song three times a night for several weeks.

--G!

pulykamell 06-27-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB (Post 21721329)
DING. DING. DING.

Winner winner, lame ass dinner! The "some reason" is the shitty, lackluster "melody", the inane lyrics and the soulless singer's grating, unhip, moronic voice. GRRRRRRRR.

Phew! I feel so much better now :p

I actually was called a few years ago as a referral to photograph a house party here in the Chicago suburbs. I gave my standard (competitive) rate, and the person hosting the party tried to get me to lower my rate because the singer of the Plain White T's would be performing there. I was this tempted to quote an even higher rate. Needless to say, I did not do that job.

gkster 06-27-2019 04:54 PM

"My Way"
"Christmas Shoes" - thank goodness that one gets airplay only a few months a year

pulykamell 06-27-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror (Post 21721572)
As if you needed more reasons to hate it, it's kind of a scam. It goes to a Jewish nonprofit which has a high overhead and invested in a Ponzi scheme. But disclose none of that.

Found that out a few years ago, and, man, as much as I hated that commercial, I hated it even more knowing the charity is for a specific religious subset of people, and that it is not disclosed or even hinted at in any of their commercials. (That info is on their webpage if you look deep enough. From the website: "Your donation will benefit Kars4Kids, a national organization dedicated to addressing the educational, material, emotional and spiritual needs of Jewish children and their families." That's all fine and dandy, but please disclose that upfront. I'd be just as irked to find out a charity I'm donating to that I think is helping all kids is only helping Christian children and their families. But that's another thread.)

Procrustus 06-27-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Yeah. Kind of

Quote:

$34.7 million and expenses of $30.8 million

Saintly Loser 06-27-2019 05:03 PM

I've got a few.

First and foremost, that horrible "Let It Go" song from that equally horrible movie. Somehow my daughter (then four) got to see this movie, despite my ban on Disney princess movies. I guess she saw it at a friend's house or something. Anyway, she loves the song. I don't.

And after that, the absolute worst song ever written, "Sometimes When We Touch," by Dan Hill.

Malleus, Incus, Stapes! 06-27-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

"

Yass. This one.

Malleus, Incus, Stapes! 06-27-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

*spontaneously combusts*

manson1972 06-27-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

I know, I don't donate any money to it. I mean, cars for kids? They can't even drive!

terentii 06-27-2019 06:55 PM

When I was working in radio in the '90s, "All I Wanna Do" got a lot of airplay. To this day, I loathe the song.

Guinastasia 06-27-2019 06:59 PM

Marilyn Manson's cover of "God's Gonna Cut You Down". I everyone at YouTube is gushing over it and I'm like, I want to gouge my ear drums out with a spork.

"We Built This City". How could the same people who did masterpieces like "White Rabbit" and "Somebody To Love", manage to produce crap like this? Is this what happens when you go sober? (WERE they sober at the time?)

pulykamell 06-27-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror (Post 21721350)
Here, this will clear that earworm.

I feel like a kid hipster because I've been hating Baby Shark for like 2 solid years before it became a meme and everybody learned about it.

Haha. I have to somewhat admire the song for the sheer ridiculousness and chutzpah.

Bumbazine 06-27-2019 07:07 PM

Some truly terrible 'songs' have been mentioned so far, but the absolute worst, IMHO, was horse with no name, followed closely by take it easy by the eagles.
Actually anything by the eagles was utter shiite.

manson1972 06-27-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinastasia (Post 21721772)
Marilyn Manson's cover of "God's Gonna Cut You Down". I everyone at YouTube is gushing over it and I'm like, I want to gouge my ear drums out with a spork.

Come on!

CookingWithGas 06-27-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grestarian (Post 21721582)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookingWithGas
...Muskrat Love, the Captain and Tennille ...

The scary thing is that their version is the up-beat remake of America's tune -- it's even on their Greatest Hits album. The original practically sounds like a dirge!

You are shitting me. <checks> No you're not.

Guinastasia 06-27-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson1972 (Post 21721810)
Come on!

Nope. Sorry, I hate Manson. I think he's trying to hard to be Rob Zombie, and it doesn't work.

manson1972 06-27-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinastasia (Post 21721832)
Nope. Sorry, I hate Manson. I think he's trying to hard to be Rob Zombie, and it doesn't work.

Hate seems a strong word. Then again, I hate Rush, so maybe it's not so strong.

Mcmechanic 06-27-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Yes! I still hear “Hey there Delilah” at least once a week still and can’t change the station fast enough before it gets stuck in my head and I want to drive my car into on coming traffic.
Also that “I chime in with a haven’t you people ever heard of, closing the goddamn door” song. It irks me.

Guinastasia 06-27-2019 10:21 PM

System of a Down, "Chop Suey". Well, I can't really stand any of their songs, but for some reason, this one annoys me the most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson1972 (Post 21721844)
Hate seems a strong word. Then again, I hate Rush, so maybe it's not so strong.

That's what this whole thread is about, remember? And I can't stand Rush either. ;)

nearwildheaven 06-28-2019 12:01 AM

The Doobie Brothers' "Music Is The Doctor" and the Beach Boys' "Kokomo" are tied with Wilson Phillips' "Hold On" for the worst song that won't go away.

panache45 06-28-2019 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkster (Post 21721603)
"Christmas Shoes" - thank goodness that one gets airplay only a few months a year

OMFG, yes!

I'd rather listen to Florence Foster Jenkins.

Dung Beetle 06-28-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Are you talking about ...well...90% of her catalogue because that's just her vocal range or are you talking about that disgusting let's show the world I'm (not) just as good as Olivia Newton-John and remake her "Loving You" and butcher the signature aria?

I also love Olivia, but I must tell you that "Loving You" was not her song. That was Minnie Riperton.

Annie-Xmas 06-28-2019 08:27 AM

And that Tom Jones's classic "Why Why Why Delilah." Why why why did you record this song?

The scariest thing about the Kars for Kids song is it was recorded after Johnny Cash died. What did they do, zombify him?

burpo the wonder mutt 06-28-2019 08:27 AM

"Teddy Bear" --Red Sovine
"Billy, Don't be a Hero" -- Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods
"Run, Joey, Run" -- David Geddes (Especially the part at the end where
SPOILER:
the girl dies, shot by her own father.)

(Joey don't share food!)

Treppenwitz 06-28-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Procrustus (Post 21721490)
The worst song ever to hit the radio repeats this about 80 times (and does nothing else)

Quote:

Right about now
The funk soul brother
Check it out now
The funk soul brother
Rockerfeller Skank by Fatboy Slim. Well - You have a point. But there are reasons to like it: it rescued the Just Brothers from obscurity, because without their Sliced Tomatoes it would be no more than a shadow of itself. Plus Norman sponsors (or at least, used to sponsor) a youth football club in Brighton. So Hats Off, and I'll give him a pass.

j

ETA: and I meant to say, upthread someone mentioned My Way. Oh God yes.

Go_Arachnid_Laser 06-28-2019 08:40 AM

My number one most hated song is without a doubt, the X-Ambassadors with Renegades.

And I say hey, hey hey hey
Living like we're renegades
Hey hey hey
Hey hey hey
Renegades, renegades
All hail the underdogs
All hail the new kids
All hail the outlaws
Spielberg's and Kubrick's

There's so many, sooooo many things to hate here. The hipsterism. The faux-folkish sound. The laziness of the lyrics. The repetition of the same chords and basing a whole song on a terrible chorus. The fact that they're the blandest, most boring band in existence and they make a song talking about what a bunch of rebels they are. Aggggggghhhh!!!!

SuntanLotion 06-28-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treppenwitz (Post 21722483)

ETA: and I meant to say, upthread someone mentioned My Way. Oh God yes.

Sid Vicious's cover was great

WOOKINPANUB 06-28-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser (Post 21722496)
My number one most hated song is without a doubt, the X-Ambassadors with Renegades.

And I say hey, hey hey hey
Hey hey hey
Hey hey hey
Renegades, renegades
All hail the underdogs
All hail the new kids
All hail the outlaws
Spielberg's and Kubrick's

There's so many, sooooo many things to hate here. The hipsterism. The faux-folkish sound. The laziness of the lyrics. The repetition of the same chords and basing a whole song on a terrible chorus. The fact that they're the blandest, most boring band in existence and they make a song talking about what a bunch of rebels they are. Aggggggghhhh!!!!

I don't mind the music but, hell yes, that "we're rebels" and "they" can't keep us down bullshit always ruins a song for me.

Several years ago Muse had a hit with the song Uprising(oh please :rolleyes:) which I always thought was called Victorious. Great, energetic music but this

"They will not force us
They will stop degrading us
They will not control us
We will be victorious
(So come on)"

just pisses me off for some reason.

TRC4941 06-28-2019 09:12 AM

I know I will continue to think of songs to put on this list all day long.

Lady in Red - Chris de Burgh
Anything by Bob Dylan - especially Lay Lady Lay
Having My Baby - Paul Anka
Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
We Built this City - Jefferson Starship
Me & Mrs Jones - Billy Paul
Anything by the Doobie Brothers with Michael McDonald
Physical - Olivia Newton John
Feelings - Morris Albert
Anything by Wings
Ebony & Ivory - McCartney & Wonder

xizor 06-28-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Fine, you made me look it up. It is Emotion. A perfectly mindless pop song until about 2:45 into it, she decides to show the world her upper range for no reason. I have to turn the radio off when I realize it is coming.

DSYoungEsq 06-28-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

"Emotion" I believe.

chela 06-28-2019 10:12 AM

Go away little girl

Go away little girl
Go away little girl
I'm not supposed to be alone with you
Oh yes I know that your lips are sweet
But our lips must never meet
I belong to somebody else and I must be true.

She's a Lady
Well she's all you'd ever want
She's the kind they'd like to flaunt and take to dinner
Well she always knows her place
She's got style, she's got grace, She's a winner
She's a Lady. Whoa whoa whoa, She's a Lady
Talkin' about that little lady, and the lady is mine

ick ick ick ick, sharpen that pencil quick quick quick

burpo the wonder mutt 06-28-2019 10:16 AM

One Hell of a Woman -- Mac Davis

She's one hell of a woman
Young, strong and tame
*Puke Smiley*

BrickBat 06-28-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions (Post 21720980)
Paradise by the Dashboard Light.

It might not be a "pencils in ears" song, but it definitely a "gopher" song. I gopher the knob as soon as it comes on. Fortunately, the need to do that has virtually gone to zero thanks to iTunes.

Yeah, it's pretty revolting to hear today, though I never liked it back in the 70s either. Mawkish beyond belief.

It's also been my observation that those people who love this song ( still today ) tend to be immature airheads.

Runner up would be 'Run Joey Run'.

Guinastasia 06-28-2019 12:52 PM

"Hot for Teacher" - Van Halen. Generally I like Van Halen, but this...ew.

"It's My Party" and "Judy's Turn to Cry", especially the latter. WTF, the guy left you for your best friend, and you're taking him BACK??? Kick his ass to the curb, girl!

RTFirefly 06-28-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobDog (Post 21720860)
Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On

Seconded.

And along similar lines, I'll add Whitney Houston's cover of "I Will Always Love You."

Elendil's Heir 06-28-2019 08:40 PM

I've heard the Rolling Stones's "Satisfaction" enough for ten lifetimes. I always lunge for the next-station button when it comes on.

ZipperJJ 06-28-2019 08:57 PM

"Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon.

And then, everything else by Kings of Leon.

Saintly Loser 06-28-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Wasn't that Minnie Riperton?

terentii 06-28-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Sure you mean "If Not for You" instead of "Loving You"*? :confused:

*To be honest, I have no idea which one she butchered. :(

nearwildheaven 06-28-2019 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinastasia (Post 21723003)
"Hot for Teacher" - Van Halen. Generally I like Van Halen, but this...ew.

"It's My Party" and "Judy's Turn to Cry", especially the latter. WTF, the guy left you for your best friend, and you're taking him BACK??? Kick his ass to the curb, girl!

On a related note, "Second Chance" by .38 Special. Whatever that one mistake was that you made, she's gone as a result, and she's not coming back.

gkster 06-29-2019 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinastasia (Post 21722064)
And I can't stand Rush either. ;)

Guess who was on the radio when we were driving home? I don't remember ever hearing Rush before, but a song came on with an interesting instrumental intro, and then a voice that was like nails on a chalkboard. I asked hubby "What on earth _is_ that?!" and he said it was Rush. So now you can add me to the can't stand Rush group.

california jobcase 06-29-2019 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrickBat (Post 21722788)
It's also been my observation that those people who love this song ( still today ) tend to be immature airheads.

Paradise by the Dashboard Lights is just a goofy, fun, shaggy dog story of a song. I like watching people's reaction to "and now I'm praying for the end of time" when it's the first time they hear it.

Now, for songs I still hear and truly despise, I submit Free Bird, Turn the Page, Like a Rock, and Roundabout. I liked Free Bird and Roundabout the first few times I heard them, but not so with the Seger songs.

LLCoolL 06-29-2019 04:01 AM

Quote:

That's probably "Dreamlover". Of her entire repertoire, I like maybe two of Mariah's songs, and that's one of them. :)

LLCoolL 06-29-2019 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nearwildheaven (Post 21722185)
The Doobie Brothers' "Music Is The Doctor" and the Beach Boys' "Kokomo" are ..... the worst songs that won't go away.

Those were horrible "comeback" songs by once good bands, that somehow climbed the charts. Allow me to add to the list: "The Flame" by Cheap Trick. Ugh.

Biotop 06-29-2019 08:56 AM

Umbrella by Rihanna.

The song grates all the way through, but the umbrella -ella-ella -ella -eh -eh... is genetically designed for ear penciling. Just awful. I get that umbrella is an interesting word, even though it may be the most basic U word of all. A kid's alphabet book probably has "A is for Apple, B is for Boy, ... U is for Umbrella." It comes from the Latin umbra, meaning shade. Other umbra- words like umbrage are not common in everday vocabulary. So I have no problem with anyone who thinks the word umbrella deserves a song. It does.

However if I was writing a song focusing on "umbrella," I would emphasize the umbr- part of the word, which is the part of the word that is unusual and deserves the attention. The ella is fairly standard and less interesting, but that's where Rihanna's notice goes, abandoning the umbr- for the increasingly annoying repeat and repeat of the -ella before several unpleasing eh grunts.

Consider another common but intriguing U-word : Unicorn. It conjures up images of magic and fantasy and innocence and freedom. There's a song waiting still to be written about Unicorn. But if you picked a section of that word to play around and repeat in song, you'd likely go with the -corn because while uni- is a fairly standard prefix, the corn when not referring to a kernel is different. That's where the fun in unicorn is. And the Umbr- is the fun in umbrella. Not the -ella.

Umbrellas act as protection, and the idea of lovers together, sharing a shield from the rain (the bad things and pressures of the real world), is a nice image. But somehow outside of Mary Poppins and a few old black and white movies (where a crowd outside a building during a heavy rain is an eye-catching sea of umbrellas), the umbrella has not received its due in the arts (I'm looking at you disappointing Umbrella Acadamy on Netflix). And this song is the worst example of that failure.

ZonexandScout 06-29-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLCoolL (Post 21724031)
Those were horrible "comeback" songs by once good bands, that somehow climbed the charts. Allow me to add to the list: "The Flame" by Cheap Trick. Ugh.

In all fairness, CT was pretty uncomfortable with the pressure put on them by the record company to do this song. (They did not write it.) In interviews, they've made it clear that they have come to terms with it, especially since they are expected to perform it, but that it is not one they are particularly proud of.

chela 06-29-2019 10:52 AM

You may want to tar and feather me but lee Hreenwoods GB USA gets on my nerves!

Periwinkle 06-29-2019 11:43 AM

“If I Die Young” by The Band Perry. I just hate it.

“Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing”. The Aerosmith caterwauling is bad enough but this is a popular one for butchering on singing competition shows too.

LLCoolL 06-29-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

....."It's My Party" and "Judy's Turn to Cry", especially the latter. WTF, the guy left you for your best friend, and you're taking him BACK??? Kick his ass to the curb, girl!

Sounds like male wish fulfillment: "two girls fighting over me - cool!" But the song was written by two women - Beverly Ross and Edna Lewis.

According to Wikipedia, "Judy's Turn to Cry" was a 'sequel' of sorts to "It's My Party". In the latter song, the protagonist's boyfriend leaves her for Judy. In the sequel, she gets him back. Teenage soap opera.

LLCoolL 06-29-2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB (Post 21722525)
I don't mind the music but, hell yes, that "we're rebels" and "they" can't keep us down bullshit always ruins a song for me.

Several years ago Muse had a hit with the song Uprising(oh please :rolleyes:) which I always thought was called Victorious. Great, energetic music but this

"They will not force us
They will stop degrading us
They will not control us
We will be victorious
(So come on)"

just pisses me off for some reason.

Many Muse songs have very bombastic lyrics like this. It's their thing.

Although I suppose you don't have to like it. ;)

RTFirefly 06-29-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by california jobcase (Post 21723950)
Paradise by the Dashboard Lights is just a goofy, fun, shaggy dog story of a song.

That's how I feel about it too.
Quote:

Now, for songs I still hear and truly despise, I submit Free Bird, Turn the Page, Like a Rock, and Roundabout. I liked Free Bird and Roundabout the first few times I heard them, but not so with the Seger songs.
"Turn the Page," yes:

Most times you can't hear 'em talk,
other times you can
All the same old cliches,
"Is that a woman or a man?"

The real problem with this song is that that 'same old cliche' hasn't been a cliche for decades.

So I propose a category: Songs from 'The Sixties'* Which Take Themselves Way Too Seriously, But Seem Stupid Now That The Sixties Are Long Gone.

"Turn the Page" is an example, but I'm really thinking of songs like Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" or Barry McGuire's "Eve of Destruction."

I was still hearing these songs on the radio until I stopped listening to 'Classic Rock' stations four or five years ago.

There may be an argument that they're once again relevant in the Age of Trump, but nah, they don't fit. Let someone write new songs to capture the madness of this particular era.

*'The Sixties' as a cultural mood really extended into the early 1970s. People used to debate when they really ended. it's not important.

RTFirefly 06-29-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Periwinkle (Post 21724338)
“If I Die Young” by The Band Perry. I just hate it.

OTOH, I'm kind of amused by the mini-trend in band names they seem to have started.

The Band Perry, not to be confused with the platypus Perry.

Portugal the Man, as distinct from Portugal the European country.

And lovelytheband, making sure nobody mixes them up with lovelytheadjective.

RTFirefly 06-29-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions (Post 21720980)
it definitely a "gopher" song. I gopher the knob as soon as it comes on.

Of course, the original 'gopher' song was Hall & Oates' "I Can't Gopher That (No Can Do)." ;)

Bad pun aside, if I was still listening to classic rock station, I'd gopher the button the moment that one came on.

nearwildheaven 06-29-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chela (Post 21724272)

I hated that song long before 9/11.

DinoR 06-29-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

the Beach Boys' "Kokomo" ... the worst song that won't go away.

This.

I actually managed to avoid hearing it all the way through when it was still on the charts and getting maximum airplay. It's wasn't quite as extreme as literal pencils in the ears. I did walk out of rooms a couple time when it started playing, though. Damn thing got me a couple years later. It started at a time when I couldn't politely disengage or jump out the nearest window.

MacTech 06-29-2019 04:27 PM

“Don’t worry, be happy”
“Shiny happy people”
That rock ballad about the guy that loses his girlfriend in a vehicle accident and wants to die and go to “heaven” to meet her

Any religious song, rock or otherwise
Rap/trance/techno/dubstep

Any ‘70’s pop/disco

Other than that, I’m good
;)

So basically, I like rock/metal/classical/some non-sappy country/jazz/some R&B

LLCoolL 06-29-2019 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biotop (Post 21724170)
Umbrella by Rihanna.

Umbrellas act as protection, and the idea of lovers together, sharing a shield from the rain (the bad things and pressures of the real world), is a nice image. But somehow outside of Mary Poppins and a few old black and white movies (where a crowd outside a building during a heavy rain is an eye-catching sea of umbrellas), the umbrella has not received its due in the arts (I'm looking at you disappointing Umbrella Acadamy on Netflix). And this song is the worst example of that failure.

You missed "Bus Stop" by the Hollies. Opening stanzas:
Bus stop, wet day
She's there, I say
Please share my umbrella
Bus stops, bus goes
She stays, love grows
Under my umbrella

All that summer we enjoyed it
Wind and rain and shine
That umbrella we employed it
By August she was mine

Knowed Out 06-29-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTFirefly (Post 21724569)

And lovelytheband, making sure nobody mixes them up with lovelytheadjective.

I decided to unequivocally hate lovelytheband when I saw a Yahoo headline "Will lovelytheband save rock and roll?" Will Yahoo always employ fecal matter to write columns?

My all-time hated song is Come on Eilleen, followed closely by Wham's Wake Me Up Before You Go Go.

As far as Starship's "We Built This City" goes, it wasn't so much a bad song as it was the ultimate sellout. They allowed a bridge for DJs to plug their own radio stations for Og's sake. Plus, who was the mulleted doofus who was always pumping a 10 pound dumbbell when the camera showed him?

Chimera 06-29-2019 09:50 PM

For me it is endlessly repetitive songs. Dude looks like a lady? Sure, how about singing some other words for a change? No? Then you're done now. I'll turn it off or walk away.

Your 'hook' is the same 5 notes played over and over with maybe 20 other notes during the entire duration of your song? GTFO.

Odesio 06-29-2019 11:44 PM

I'm astounded by songs so many of you hate that I actually enjoy. I love "Uprising" by Muse!

LLCoolL 06-30-2019 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTech (Post 21724631)
.....That rock ballad about the guy that loses his girlfriend in a vehicle accident and wants to die and go to “heaven” to meet her .....

That would be "Last Kiss", recorded by a number of artists. Most prominently J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers (#2 hit in 1964), and Pearl Jam (#2 again in 1999).

ftg 06-30-2019 08:44 AM

Gwar. Just plain Gwar.

Doesn't matter which song, they're all the same noise.

Buck Godot 06-30-2019 11:53 AM

You are the wind beneath my wings.

In my first year of grad school, I was in student housing and was assigned a Thai roommate who would listen to a walkman and sing along to this song off key.

digs 06-30-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowed Out (Post 21724918)
I decided to unequivocally hate lovelytheband when I saw a Yahoo headline "Will lovelytheband save rock and roll?"

"Rock" Journalists have ruined songs and entire bands for me. Most notably all the headlines to the tune of "OASIS: the NEW Beatles?!? See page seven!"

Luckily, I'd already heard a then-hardly-known Springsteen before I read the "Next Dylan!?!" garbage. I'm afraid if I'd seen that (I think it was the cover of Time, fer chrissake) before I heard him, I never would have given him a fair shot.

bmoak 06-30-2019 10:23 PM

When I was a kid, my uncle gave me his old record player and some of his early/mid 70s 45s. Let's just say he had a fondness for sappy or melodramatic songs from that era....

Playground in My Mind by Clint Holmes. The screechy child chorus ("My name is Michael, I've got a nickel...")is enough to wish for sweet release.

Me and You and a Dog Named Boo by Lobo

The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace, famous for giving us the East Side of Chicago.

Elendil's Heir 06-30-2019 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowed Out (Post 21724918)
...As far as Starship's "We Built This City" goes, it wasn't so much a bad song as it was the ultimate sellout. They allowed a bridge for DJs to plug their own radio stations for Og's sake. Plus, who was the mulleted doofus who was always pumping a 10 pound dumbbell when the camera showed him?

We had a very funny thread about "We Built This City" a few years back: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=533622

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odesio (Post 21725034)
I'm astounded by songs so many of you hate that I actually enjoy. I love "Uprising" by Muse!

I do, too!

Alessan 07-01-2019 01:52 AM

For me, it's always been "Don't You Love Me Baby" by The Human League, although to be fair, I also loathe their song "Human".

PookahMacPhellimey 07-01-2019 07:10 AM

Imagine by John Lennon.

WOOKINPANUB 07-01-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintly Loser (Post 21721615)
I've got a few.

<snip>

And after that, the absolute worst song ever written, "Sometimes When We Touch," by Dan Hill.

Egad. I woke up to this song this morning and it immediately pissed me off :mad: In fact, it instantly occurred to me to add it to this thread ;)

"I'm just another writer
Still trapped within my truth
A hesitant prize-fighter
Still trapped within my youth"

WTF is that nonsense all about?

Dung Beetle 07-01-2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chela (Post 21724272)

No, everybody hates that song. Let's tar and feather Lee Greenwood.

Snake_Plissken 07-01-2019 11:38 AM

Yes, indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dung Beetle (Post 21721097)
About 33 years ago, when I was in my teens, I realized that my life would be greatly improved if I never heard "Free Bird" ever again. And that very day, I made a rule that I would go to whatever lengths necessary to prevent being exposed to it. As a result, I've only had to suffer it about once per decade since then.

I admit, "Free Bird" is not the very worst song in the world. The worst is obviously "Muskrat Love", DSYoung! :mad:

And 'Turn the Page'. Life is too short.

Elendil's Heir 07-01-2019 11:41 AM

"Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis came on the radio earlier this morning and I lunged for the next-station button.

TimfromNapa 07-01-2019 03:01 PM

My picks:

Run, Joey Run, David Geddes (looks like at least 2 other votes for that piece of stinky cheese)
You Little Trust Maker, The Tymes (I want to stick an icepick through my eye just thinking about it)
Having My Baby, Paul Anka (at least one other vote)
I Think I love You, David Cassidy (too soon?)
Baby's First Christmas, Connie Francis (total puke)

I did not think of it, but I'll add a vote for Teddy Bear, by Red Sovine. I've only heard snippets of it in commercials for a compilation package. I hope I never have to suffer through it in its entirety.

TimfromNapa 07-01-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLCoolL (Post 21725086)
That would be "Last Kiss", recorded by a number of artists. Most prominently J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers (#2 hit in 1964), and Pearl Jam (#2 again in 1999).

Is it my imagination or did Pearl Jam manipulate their recording so that it sounded like a warped record toward the end?

Jeff Lichtman 07-01-2019 03:07 PM

Escape (The Piña Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes. This song is terrible both musically and lyrically.

Akaj 07-01-2019 03:58 PM

"Cruel to be Kind." I like Nick Lowe, but what is up with this whining, passive acceptance for emotional abuse? And the hookiness just makes it sound like he's endorsing that bullshit.

Someone (or two) upthread mentioned Rush, I have a favorite cringe moment when, after the incredibly unmusical lyric "endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity," Geddy Lee adds "Yeah!' because, you know, it's a rock & roll song.

I also want to pre-emptively defend "Brandy," because someone's bound to bring it up, but I've always thought it was a near-perfect (though patronizing) slice of 70s pop-soul.

MacTech 07-01-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ftg (Post 21725208)
Gwar. Just plain Gwar.

Doesn't matter which song, they're all the same noise.

GWAR is a comedy troupe with elaborate costumes that happen to play “comedy metal”

They’re not *MEANT* to be taken seriously, they’re more along the lines of “Weird Al”, except Al is far more talented and funnier.

terentii 07-01-2019 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman (Post 21726999)
Escape (The Piña Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes. This song is terrible both musically and lyrically.

Oh, God, yes! I played this for my college-age daughter who thought it was the most laughably awful song she'd ever heard.

Elendil's Heir 07-01-2019 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akaj (Post 21727052)
...I also want to pre-emptively defend "Brandy," because someone's bound to bring it up, but I've always thought it was a near-perfect (though patronizing) slice of 70s pop-soul.

I like "Brandy," too. Definitely a song of its time, but a sentimental favorite of mine.

Keith1 07-01-2019 11:43 PM

radio?

This is exactly why I don't own a radio—other than what's in my car, where I have a satellite radio subscription. I do have a couple thousand CD's/records. I don't like music dictated to me, or squeezed into some category. Ever tried to browse disks lately (lately means several years at least). There are so many stupid categories of music how does one separate them all.
There's a ton of crap out there. It will be played on commercial radio. . . In between 10 minute commercial breaks and listening to a moron. There's tons of good stuff out there as well, by astounding musicians. Sadly you won't find any of it on your radio dial.

Dung Beetle 07-02-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terentii (Post 21727523)
Oh, God, yes! I played this for my college-age daughter who thought it was the most laughably awful song she'd ever heard.

Ooooh! Don't let her miss out on Undercover Angel! :D

pulykamell 07-02-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Thirded! Just a horrible, horrible, horrible song. My high school girlfriend loved that song, and, at that age, I just kind of went along with it and didn't really listen too hard to the lyrics or think them through, and just kind of shrugged off the music as breezy, Jimmy Buffet-like island yacht rock. It was a few years later that I heard the song on the radio again and really paid attention to the plot in the lyrics and realized just how god-awful the whole plotline of that song was. And, by then, my musical tastes had shifted enough that the song musically grated like hell on me.

TRC4941 07-02-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

I also want to pre-emptively defend "Brandy," because someone's bound to bring it up, but I've always thought it was a near-perfect (though patronizing) slice of 70s pop-soul.

I agree! Brandy was my favorite song. I still love it and sing along loudly whenever I hear it.

burpo the wonder mutt 07-02-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Yes, we're both cheating scum, but it's OK because we're cheating with each other!

Da song sux.

Akaj 07-02-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir (Post 21727610)
I like "Brandy," too. Definitely a song of its time, but a sentimental favorite of mine.

Then you might enjoy Sarah Borges' "Same Old 45" -- a song about listening to that song.

Annie-Xmas 07-02-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

And though I'm nobody's poet/I thought it wasn't half bad.

Holmes should have asked for a second opinion.

Akaj 07-02-2019 09:48 AM

Almost anything by Billy Joel, but especially "Piano Man." His picture should be next to the word "unctious" in the dictionary.

salinqmind 07-02-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir (Post 21726693)
"Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis came on the radio earlier this morning and I lunged for the next-station button.

She sounds like she's singing through her nose or something. I read where Simon Cowell felt so strongly about her grand singing talent, he bought her a house. So it goes in this gross, unjust world.

'Afternoon Delight', 'Love to Love You Baby', and 'Wildfire' , probably already mentioned, still make me cringe.

Dung Beetle 07-02-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman

I like to sing along with it, and put a different expression in my voice when it comes to the line "and she said, "Oh it's you". I get a giggle out of making it sound like she just found out she'd stepped in something.

Truthfully, I love seventies cheese. :D

burpo the wonder mutt 07-02-2019 10:03 AM

And though I'm nobody's poet/Maybe someone will adopt me.

pulykamell 07-02-2019 10:25 AM

nm

terentii 07-02-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dung Beetle (Post 21727866)

Holy crap! Does that bring back memories! :eek:

WOOKINPANUB 07-02-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dung Beetle (Post 21728169)
I like to sing along with it, and put a different expression in my voice when it comes to the line "and she said, "Oh it's you". I get a giggle out of making it sound like she just found out she'd stepped in something.

Truthfully, I love seventies cheese. :D

I know! I love some of the songs that have been named here. Next I suppose someone's going to dis You Make Me Feel Like Dancing or, dog forbid, Heaven on the 7th Floor :dubious: :p

terentii 07-02-2019 11:37 AM

This song kept ABBA's "Money, Money, Money" from reaching No. 1 on the UK charts the final week of 1976. I'll never forget listening to the radio while standing on a roundabout in freezing rain at one in the morning as I was hitchhiking from Brighton to Cambridge and saying "THIS is NUMBER ONE?!?" :eek: :smack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY8APrYU2Gs

I ended up walking the last 14 miles into town. Got home around five in the morning.

WOOKINPANUB 07-02-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terentii (Post 21728367)
This song kept ABBA's "Money, Money, Money" from reaching No. 1 on the UK charts the final week of 1976. I'll never forget listening to the radio while standing on a roundabout in freezing rain at one in the morning as I was hitchhiking from Brighton to Cambridge and saying "THIS is NUMBER ONE?!?" :eek: :smack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY8APrYU2Gs

I ended up walking the last 14 miles into town. Got home around five in the morning.

Oi! You can't touch The Hutch!

Elendil's Heir 07-02-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akaj (Post 21728084)
Then you might enjoy Sarah Borges' "Same Old 45" -- a song about listening to that song.

Heh. Thanks - never heard that before!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dung Beetle (Post 21727866)

I, er... have that song on my iPod. Don't you judge me!

BrickBat 07-02-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith1 (Post 21727640)
This is exactly why I don't own a radio—other than what's in my car, where I have a satellite radio subscription. I do have a couple thousand CD's/records. I don't like music dictated to me, or squeezed into some category. Ever tried to browse disks lately (lately means several years at least). There are so many stupid categories of music how does one separate them all.
There's a ton of crap out there. It will be played on commercial radio. . . In between 10 minute commercial breaks and listening to a moron. There's tons of good stuff out there as well, by astounding musicians. Sadly you won't find any of it on your radio dial.

Having to listen to "Classic rock" commercial ( non-satellite ) stations is one big hurl-fest. I just had to endure 7+ hours of a co-worker blaring one such station on his boom-box and I was completely drained by the end of the day. I just can not understand how some people can be so inured by a raging cacaphony of raging idiot DJs and screaming bubbly commercials. It's like it's nothing to them. Then there's the matter that all that time there was 2 or 3 decent tracks at the most that were NOT the same sell-out/corporate rock/yacht-rock schlock that I never like the first time around.

Apparently the station programming director firmly believes its audience wish it could be vanilla-land in 1977 forever.

Akaj 07-02-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrickBat (Post 21728576)
Having to listen to "Classic rock" commercial ( non-satellite ) stations is one big hurl-fest. I just had to endure 7+ hours of a co-worker blaring one such station on his boom-box and I was completely drained by the end of the day. I just can not understand how some people can be so inured by a raging cacaphony of raging idiot DJs and screaming bubbly commercials. It's like it's nothing to them. Then there's the matter that all that time there was 2 or 3 decent tracks at the most that were NOT the same sell-out/corporate rock/yacht-rock schlock that I never like the first time around.

Apparently the station programming director firmly believes its audience wish it could be vanilla-land in 1977 forever.

I have a pet theory that the rise of classic rock radio parallels the rise of today's cultural conservatism. A whole generation of (mostly) middle and working class whites think everything was perfect back in the early 80s and only want to hear what they loved then. Plus they can sing along with it.

The popularity of modern country only confirms this idea. Take away the southern accents, and a lot of it sounds just like 70s and 80s MOR rock.

terentii 07-02-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akaj (Post 21728616)
I have a pet theory that the rise of classic rock radio parallels the rise of today's cultural conservatism. A whole generation of (mostly) middle and working class whites think everything was perfect back in the early 80s and only want to hear what they loved then. Plus they can sing along with it.

The popularity of modern country only confirms this idea. Take away the southern accents, and a lot of it sounds just like 70s and 80s MOR rock.

Maybe you weren't aware of it, but the same thing happened in the early '70s, when the hits of the '50s were dusted off and got a lot of airplay. I doubt it has anything to do with political conservatism. Old farts like myself (I'm 64) just enjoy listening to the music they grew up with. I suspect hits of the '20s, '30s, and '40s would also have been recycled 10--15 years later if a comparable pop culture had been in existence then. (They ended up on Lawrence Welk's show instead.)

pulykamell 07-02-2019 01:59 PM

I grew up in the 80s, and the "classic rock" of the late-60s to late 70s (maybe touching into the early 80s, but I remember it all being 70s at the latest) was pretty huge here, as well, and had nothing to do with cultural conservatism, from what I can tell. All the rockers when I was in high school from '89-'93 listened to a lot of classic rock, and I grew up in a politically mixed area (I'm in Chicago, but don't be under the impression that the whole city is liberal because it votes Democratic. It is not.)

Akaj 07-02-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terentii (Post 21728660)
Maybe you weren't aware of it, but the same thing happened in the early '70s, when the hits of the '50s were dusted off and got a lot of airplay. I doubt it has anything to do with political conservatism. Old farts like myself (I'm 64) just enjoy listening to the music they grew up with. I suspect hits of the '20s, '30s, and '40s would also have been recycled 10--15 years later if a comparable pop culture had been in existence then. (They ended up on Lawrence Welk's show instead.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulykamell (Post 21728685)
I grew up in the 80s, and the "classic rock" of the late-60s to late 70s (maybe touching into the early 80s, but I remember it all being 70s at the latest) was pretty huge here, as well, and had nothing to do with cultural conservatism, from what I can tell. All the rockers when I was in high school from '89-'93 listened to a lot of classic rock, and I grew up in a politically mixed area (I'm in Chicago, but don't be under the impression that the whole city is liberal because it votes Democratic. It is not.)

Not to completely derail the thread, but ... I never meant to imply that everyone who likes classic rock is a MAGA head -- that's obviously false. IANAS, but it just seems that the cultural shift that's made classic rock (and modern country) so bankable is part of the same shift that's brought us to MAGA.

"Hey, you non-white kids, quit playing that hippy-hoppy shit on my lawn!" (puts in earbuds, plays "I Won't Back Down" for the 900th time)

Jeff Lichtman 07-02-2019 03:25 PM

I don't think there's anything new about people clinging to the music of their youth. In my dad's generation there were people who hated rock and roll, and would only listen to big band music. Often when a new musical genre comes around, it's embraced by the young and reviled by the old. At the same time, young people often reject the music of their parents' generation. When I was a kid, things like big band jazz and Frank Sinatra were seen by me and my peers as hopelessly square. The same thing happened with the coming of jazz in the teens and be-bop in the forties. It's happened again (sort of) with the coming of rap.

This isn't a reactionary political thing. I know plenty of leftists and progressives who don't like rap, and would rather listen to the music that was popular when they were in high school and college.

It's actually unusual (and, to me, encouraging) that young people today haven't rejected rock music. Lots of kids today love the music of their parents' and grandparents' generations.

BrickBat 07-02-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akaj (Post 21728732)
"Hey, you non-white kids, quit playing that hippy-hoppy shit on my lawn!" (puts in earbuds, plays "I Won't Back Down" for the 900th time)

In my observation, it's more a case of generational chauvinism biased toward the 70s ( when they were young adults )

"Hey you millennial philistines, quit playing that acid rock!" ( I've actually heard them use that term today; to them, anything harder than 'Bostons' 'More than a feeling' ) Then proceed to play The Eagles or Fleetwood Mac greatest hits.

The emphasis on "hits". Nothing too eclectic like the third track on the "B" side of their treasured LPs or cassettes. They loves them some vanilla.

Akaj 07-02-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrickBat (Post 21728972)
In my observation, it's more a case of generational chauvinism biased toward the 70s ( when they were young adults )

"Hey you millennial philistines, quit playing that acid rock!" ( I've actually heard them use that term today; to them, anything harder than 'Bostons' 'More than a feeling' ) Then proceed to play The Eagles or Fleetwood Mac greatest hits.

The emphasis on "hits". Nothing too eclectic like the third track on the "B" side of their treasured LPs or cassettes. They loves them some vanilla.

I understand that every generation favors the music they heard growing up. What bugs me about classic rock is that -- unlike big-band jazz or 50s rock -- it became a dominant, go-to format long after its original impact had worn off, and remains so to this day. It didn't become nostalgia; it remained mainstream.

I also understand that's because the generation that grew up on this stuff was the biggest, wealthiest, most influential generation ever. And I see a parallel between that big, wealthy, influential generation's clinging to its music and that big, wealthy, influential generation's clinging to other cultural tropes such as English-only, white Christians in charge and "traditional" families.

Yes, lefties can love classic rock, and white supremacists can love death metal. I'm talking broad cultural stuff, not individual tastes.

terentii 07-02-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akaj (Post 21729045)
What bugs me about classic rock is that -- unlike big-band jazz or 50s rock -- it became a dominant, go-to format long after its original impact had worn off, and remains so to this day. It didn't become nostalgia; it remained mainstream.

I think this is a gross oversimplification. I don't believe it's "go-to" for everyone, and for those who are partial to it, there is an element of nostalgia. So it seems to me you're mistaken on both counts.

There are many genres of music today, and each one has its own following. At the same time, there's a lot of overlap. I'm not confined to any one style or artist, and what I listen to is determined by my mood. I can enjoy music from all decades equally, and I do.

by-tor 07-02-2019 07:29 PM

Any song with auto-tune as an effect.
Any Polka.
All new country and a lot of old country. Country music is perverted Blue Grass as far as I am concerned.
All carnival music.
Most Show tunes.
Most rap music after 1990.
Modern R&B, especially anything with vocal gymnastics in it.
Grunge, Emo, and other whiny/depressing music for the most part.
Glam metal.
Get offa my lawn!

Labdad 07-02-2019 09:10 PM

“Honey” - Bobby Goldsboro
“In the Year 2525” - Zager and Evans
Pretty much anything by America
Anything by Gary Puckett

TRC4941 07-03-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akaj (Post 21728146)
Almost anything by Billy Joel, but especially "Piano Man." His picture should be next to the word "unctious" in the dictionary.

I can't believe I forgot to add that one to my list of hated songs.

Snake_Plissken 07-03-2019 09:14 AM

Yeah, never need to hear 'Piano Man' again...

...or 'American Pie'.
Again, life is way too short and those songs are way too long.

digs 07-03-2019 09:33 AM

What kills me is that there's "Classic Badass Rock" and "Classic Crappy Rock". But only one of those two get played these days. Whenever I have to hear one of those stations, I always get my hopes up for a second when an artist's name is mentioned, only to have them dashed by hearing their one or two Middle Of The Road songs that get airplay over and over.

Case in point "We'll be right back with more fart jokes, but first, some Steve Miller Band..." (Wow! Hope it's an early track, or maybe the jazzy stuff he did with Ben Sidran...) Nope, Fly Like An Eagle. Again.

That was from the day I tried listening to twenty minutes of a "morning drive time" station. I clicked back to NPR when I realized that I could feel my IQ slipping a notch every time the DJs laughed over a song...

WOOKINPANUB 07-03-2019 09:34 AM

Just thought of three more that I file in the trash heap as Hey There Delilah:

Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany's
Tal Bachman - She's So High Above Me
Blessid Union of Souls - Hey Leonardo (She Likes Me For Me)

Not sure if these came out around the same time and it was the trend to sound like an emasculated weenie or if I just mentally house them together because they all illicit the same response from me (anger. unreasonable, irrational anger).

Akaj 07-03-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken (Post 21730139)
...or 'American Pie'.
Again, life is way too short and those songs are way too long.

We saw a guy in Nashville cover "American Pie" just like he learned it from an old 45 -- a couple of skips and repeats, plus a 30-second gap in the middle from when he had to turn the record over. Genius.

Annie-Xmas 07-03-2019 10:19 AM

I was in a (male) gay bar once, and Madonna's version of American Pie came on. When you hear a bar full of gay men screaming "Turn it off!" at a Madonna song, you know it's really bad.

terentii 07-03-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB (Post 21730183)
Not sure if these came out around the same time and it was the trend to sound like an emasculated weenie or if I just mentally house them together because they all illicit the same response from me (anger. unreasonable, irrational anger).

The ultimate emasculated weenie song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92oT9rvnr_E :mad:

WOOKINPANUB 07-03-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terentii (Post 21730373)
The ultimate emasculated weenie song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92oT9rvnr_E :mad:

Grrrrrrrrr. Brought to you by the same wankers who are responsible for the asinine Baby I'm-a Want You. In fact, looking over Bread's catalog, I think we can safely say they are the definitive "Soulless Whinger" band of their time.

Akaj 07-03-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terentii (Post 21729171)
I think this is a gross oversimplification. I don't believe it's "go-to" for everyone, and for those who are partial to it, there is an element of nostalgia. So it seems to me you're mistaken on both counts.

There are many genres of music today, and each one has its own following. At the same time, there's a lot of overlap. I'm not confined to any one style or artist, and what I listen to is determined by my mood. I can enjoy music from all decades equally, and I do.

When did I say classic rock was a "go-to" for everyone? My beef is not that it's some dominant genre that stops you (or anyone) from enjoying others -- my beef is that it's a genre at all. There's no major difference between mainstream rock recorded from 1966-86 and that recorded since then, except that a huge slab of people (most of them from a particular demographic) grew up with it and continue to prefer it.

Yeah, I like it, too -- as long as I also get to hear other genres and other eras. But when someone says their favorite music is classic rock, it's like they closed their mind to new ideas (musical and otherwise) 30 years ago.

nearwildheaven 07-03-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas (Post 21730285)
I was in a (male) gay bar once, and Madonna's version of American Pie came on. When you hear a bar full of gay men screaming "Turn it off!" at a Madonna song, you know it's really bad.

When that song was released, radio stations were being bombarded with requests to NOT play it.

nearwildheaven 07-03-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB (Post 21728374)
Oi! You can't touch The Hutch!

I loved that song, at the time, but keep in mind that I was 13 years old.

Found out later that he was a coke-addled wife-beater.

terentii 07-03-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir (Post 21727610)

Hey, don't nobody knock "Brandy"! :mad:

On the other hand ...

Two convicts are facing execution. For his last request, the first guy asks to hear this song one last time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byQIPdHMpjc

The second guy says "Please, kill me first!"

Sitnam 07-03-2019 07:34 PM

Rolling in the Deep is a good song, but much of Adele's catalog is the very definition of caterwauling.

nearwildheaven 07-03-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terentii (Post 21731087)

On the other hand ...

Two convicts are facing execution. For his last request, the first guy asks to hear this song one last time:

I did clinicals on an Indian reservation in the spring of 1994, and they had a community radio station where anyone who wanted a show could have one, within reason of course. There were some kids who came in after school and played music, and the #1 request was that song as performed by
SPOILER:
The Chipmunks
One of my preceptors said, "What the hell is this crap?"

lol

terentii 07-03-2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nearwildheaven (Post 21731332)
I did clinicals on an Indian reservation in the spring of 1994, and they had a community radio station where anyone who wanted a show could have one, within reason of course. There were some kids who came in after school and played music, and the #1 request was that song as performed by
SPOILER:
The Chipmunks
One of my preceptors said, "What the hell is this crap?"

lol

Back in the 1990s, I worked at one of Moscow's first commercial radio stations. I did the news five nights a week while the DJ (an American) played Adult Contemporary. During the station breaks, I'd check the AP wire at my work station, which was in a room shared with the Russian staff.

One night, the Russians were playing this song when I came in to check the wire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEZHVoTFt8o

I immediately said "What the hell is this crap?" in my best Butt-Head imitation.

Thirty seconds later, my DJ walked in and immediately said "What the hell is this crap?"

The Russians in the room (who all understood English) convulsed in laughter!

Aspidistra 07-03-2019 11:54 PM

Have we had Lukas Graham's "Seven Years" yet? Man that song sucks butt. Especially since there seems to be a serious contingent of people who LIKE it and insist on PLAYING that bunch o' crap on the radio ALL THE TIME (ok, not so much now as two years ago ... but we're still not safe from it)

Guest-starring: Id! 07-04-2019 12:20 AM

What if 73% of all music makes me want to stick pencils in my ears? Or, like, Bluto - a pencil up each nostril?

Elendil's Heir 07-04-2019 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! (Post 21731662)
What if 73% of all music makes me want to stick pencils in my ears? Or, like, Bluto - a pencil up each nostril?

Seven years of college down the drain!

Guest-starring: Id! 07-04-2019 12:39 AM

Indeed.
And speaking of that, I could lodge a good #2 HB where the sun don't shine after hearing the Animal House theme song , sung by buddy who brought us: "On and on...She just keeps on trying / and she smiles when she feels like crying", and was the proto-hippy on the basement stairs whose guitar gets bashed in by Bluto.

Elendil's Heir 07-04-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! (Post 21731686)
... was the proto-hippy on the basement stairs whose guitar gets bashed in by Bluto.

Heheheheh. A highpoint of Western cinema: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_hCqO6UQs

Annie-Xmas 07-05-2019 08:11 AM

Yesterday, for the first time in ages, I heard Tony Orlando & Dawn's Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree.

'Nuff said.

Snake_Plissken 07-05-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir (Post 21731674)
Seven years of college down the drain!

"ZERO point ZERO."

Elendil's Heir 07-08-2019 11:11 AM

Bruce Springsteen's "I'm On Fire" creeps me out. I haven't heard it all the way through in years.

Annie-Xmas 07-08-2019 11:16 AM

Firefalls You Are The Woman That I've Always Dreamed Of is pencil worthy

peedin 07-08-2019 12:20 PM

nevermind

BrickBat 07-08-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas (Post 21738049)
Firefalls You Are The Woman That I've Always Dreamed Of is pencil worthy

That sure jogged my memory. 70s cloying schlock at its best....I mean, worst.

Annie-Xmas 07-13-2019 09:02 AM

Nobody's mentioned Rod Stewart? Anything by Rod Stewart.

Especially "Tonight's The Night." I need a whole forest of pencils for that one.

C'mon angel my hearts on fire
Don't deny your man's desire
You'd be a fool to stop this tide
Spread your wings and let me come inside

Mrs_Ducky 07-13-2019 03:00 PM

Midnight at the Oasis by Maria Muldaur. 'Nuff said.....

mako88sb 07-14-2019 09:07 PM

First thing that came to mind was Silver Conventions "Fly Robin Fly". Made the mistake of checking out the video for it and now can't get the flipping song out of my head. AARRRGGHHHHH!!!!!

Elendil's Heir 07-14-2019 11:18 PM

I liked Styx's "Come Sail Away" the first dozen or so times I heard it. No more.

BrickBat 07-15-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mako88sb (Post 21750427)
First thing that came to mind was Silver Conventions "Fly Robin Fly". Made the mistake of checking out the video for it and now can't get the flipping song out of my head. AARRRGGHHHHH!!!!!

When I was a kid, hearing that playing on a tinny radio, I always thought it was "Fly rocket, fly".

BrickBat 07-15-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir (Post 21750672)
I liked Styx's "Come Sail Away" the first dozen or so times I heard it. No more.

Yeah, it sure was the wallpaper of background noise of the 70s, as was ragtime piano music was in the early decades of the 20th century. Overplayed, but at least it was lively, and even "swung" a little.

'Babe', on the other hand made me have to fight the urge to throw up in my mouth every time I heard it...which was too damned often.

sps49sd 07-15-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

:(

sps49sd 07-15-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir (Post 21750672)

Part of the song is badass. If you find an edit that keeps the guitars and minimizes the keyboards, tell me.

I wonder how the rest of the band felt, standing around for 2 1/2 minutes doing nothing while Mr Ego sings and strokes his keys.

Elendil's Heir 07-15-2019 02:30 PM

The Beatles' "Birthday" just gives me a headache.

salinqmind 07-15-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs_Ducky (Post 21748499)
Midnight at the Oasis by Maria Muldaur. 'Nuff said.....

When I first heard that song back in the day, I LOATHED it. I HATED IT. and here it is decades later, and I now really like it, a semi-erotic jazzy fantasia....It's much like my history of cilantro. Hated it forever....and somehow today I can't get enough. Tastes change.

Sofrito 07-16-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terentii (Post 21731087)

On the other hand ...

It's even worse in Spanish (I think, both make me want to run to the hills.)

https://youtu.be/2MA74Wr7ywc

Elendil's Heir 07-17-2019 09:28 AM

Eddie Money's "Two Tickets to Paradise" makes me all stabby.

terentii 07-17-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofrito (Post 21754436)
It's even worse in Spanish (I think, both make me want to run to the hills.)

https://youtu.be/2MA74Wr7ywc

Wow! We're really plumbing new depths of pure wretchedness here! :eek:

Eclipse Chaser 07-18-2019 03:28 AM

Has anyone mentioned the Police - Every Breath You Take? God but that is totally unacceptable in modern day.

terentii 07-18-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eclipse Chaser (Post 21756868)
Has anyone mentioned the Police - Every Breath You Take? God but that is totally unacceptable in modern day.

Yeah, everyone was a sick pervert way back in 1983. :rolleyes:

Elendil's Heir 07-18-2019 08:32 AM

I didn't like "Old Time Rock and Roll" by Bob Seger back when it was first released, and it's been played so much since then that my hatred has only grown.

BonnyB 07-18-2019 08:37 AM

LOL. So many "great" songs here=)

I don't really like 'Toy" by Netta. Just don't understand that strange sounds in the beginning.

dropzone 07-18-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulykamell (Post 21721601)
I actually was called a few years ago as a referral to photograph a house party here in the Chicago suburbs. I gave my standard (competitive) rate, and the person hosting the party tried to get me to lower my rate because the singer of the Plain White T's would be performing there. I was this tempted to quote an even higher rate. Needless to say, I did not do that job.

My oldest went to high school with them and even she didn't buy their CD.

Quote:

The joke was on Johnny since Leslie would have preferred Judy, ifyouknowwhatImean. ;)

Quote:

the Beach Boys' "Kokomo"

You know, I've been to Kokomo and it's the second least likely town in Indiana to have a song, but look how well Gary's song did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoak (Post 21726002)
The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace, famous for giving us the East Side of Chicago.

I've also been to the East Side of Chicago. There isn't much of it but a junkyard had the part I needed.

Quote:

That it is, but that doesn't mean it's not unlistenable dreck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by terentii (Post 21728660)
Old farts like myself (I'm 64)

The Beatles were right-- I don't need you. :D

Annie-Xmas 07-25-2019 08:33 AM

Is there anything redeeming about Rick Springfield's "Jesse's Girl"???

manson1972 07-25-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas (Post 21769339)
Is there anything redeeming about Rick Springfield's "Jesse's Girl"???

Maybe, but the point is probably moot.

JohnT 07-25-2019 09:40 AM

Guys.

Seriously?

Sit through this. All the way. You'll be glad you have "Brandy" and "All Out of Love" to come back to.

This song has the immortal lyric "There's only one of you. That's the funnest part of you." Just brilliant, that, rhyming "you" with "you". And to think that guy from Panic! At The Disco is a part of this.

(Just don't put me on your ignore list for this. After all, it's consistent with the thread topic.)

Annie-Xmas 07-25-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson1972 (Post 21769431)
Maybe, but the point is probably moot.

Cute.

Go_Arachnid_Laser 07-25-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnT (Post 21769496)
Guys.

Seriously?

Sit through this. All the way. You'll be glad you have "Brandy" and "All Out of Love" to come back to.

"But one of these things is not like the others
Like a rainbow with all of the colors"

I- Ah... What?

The Stainless Steel Rat 07-25-2019 08:12 PM

I actually can tolerate most of the songs mentioned (but hey, I'm 66 and have had time to build up an immunity), but four make my 'hit the button as fast as I can' list.

Having my Baby - Paul Anka (mentioned multiple times before)

Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band (this makes Muskrat Love bearable)

I've Never Been to Me - Charlene (Possibly the worst lyrics in the history of Western Civilization)

IN the year 2525 - Zager and Evans. Why?

burpo the wonder mutt 07-25-2019 09:04 PM

OK, Elvis and Frankie Valli, I can take 'em or leave 'em, but "Walk Like a Man," and, "Hound Dog," make my ears bleed. Why? The back-up singers.