Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Unpopular Positive Movie Opinion (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=879815)

Quimby 08-02-2019 03:04 PM

Unpopular Positive Movie Opinion

Based on a recent XKCD Comic.

Name a movie that:

1. You genuinely really like (not ironically).
2. Post 2000
3. Has less than 50% on Rotten Tomatoes

One of mine is easy since I just rewatched it again: Justice League. I genuinely enjoy this movie. Yes the DC Movie version of Superman sucks but that is really the only issue I have with it. The other characters are good to great. The plot is fine for a popcorn Superhero movie. I really like it and I am probably the only person who is sad they didn't release Justice League 2 this year (as was the original plan).

What is yours?

manson1972 08-02-2019 03:14 PM

Armageddon.

pmwgreen 08-02-2019 03:22 PM

Odd Thomas (2013). From the maker of The Mummy (1999?). I thought the movie was intriguing, read the books as a result. On checking, I see it had 36% from the critics, but 65% from the rotten tomato audience. Does it have to be less than 50 on both?

Tinker Grey 08-02-2019 03:23 PM

Aeon Flux (2005) is a guilty pleasure.

enalzi 08-02-2019 03:25 PM

National Treasure (2004) (46%). I wouldn't even call it a guilty pleasure. It's just a pleasure.

Chronos 08-02-2019 03:27 PM

Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Sure, it wasn't great, like Episodes 4 and 5 were, but I thought that it was clearly, unambiguously better than The Force Awakens, at least, and took the series in some interesting new directions. But apparently 56% of audiences disagree with me.

Likewise, I thought that Terminator 3 was the movie that Terminator 2 should have been, and that it fixed almost all of the flaws with that one. But 54% of audiences disagree.

Right on the edge of eligibility was the 2016 Ghostbusters. Maybe it wasn't quite as funny as the original, but it was still funny enough, and did a lot better job of characterization and world-building. Opinions are exactly split.

EDIT: I was assuming audience ratings were what's relevant, here.

Snowboarder Bo 08-02-2019 03:29 PM

I had to click "Show More" quite a few times before I found a movie I had even seen, but I finally found one that I had seen AND liked: Baywatch. It was freaking great; reminded me of the first Brady Movie from the 90s because it was both an homage and a spoof (altho I've never actually seen the show).

ETA: I liked T3 too, Chronos; thought it was pretty ddamned good and have watched it more than a dozen times.

blondebear 08-02-2019 03:36 PM

The Lone Ranger (Tomatometer/Audience average = 41%)

Royal Nonesutch 08-02-2019 03:38 PM

I didn't check Rotten Tomatoes, but I seem to be the only person alive who thinks that "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" was the most enjoyable of the 4 Indiana Jones movies, even though the character of Short Round is beyond cringeworthy.

ETA

Should have read the OP more carefully, I didn't see the "Post 2000" stipulation...

muldoonthief 08-02-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enalzi (Post 21786074)
National Treasure (2004) (46%). I wouldn't even call it a guilty pleasure. It's just a pleasure.

I came here to post that. National Treasure is excellent. My kids & I made it our mission to visit all the historical sites from that movie. We succeeded, but sadly, we couldn't find the wooden elevator under Trinity Church.

Defensive Indifference 08-02-2019 03:49 PM

Knockaround Guys is clocking a 21% on the Tomatometer. I enjoyed it. The acting was good, especially Vin Diesel as the disinterested tough guy. It wasn't a great story, and the ending was pretty predictable, but I still liked it quite a bit.

Sefton 08-02-2019 03:49 PM

I loved The Best of Times (31%), starring Kurt Russell and Robin Williams. A few scenes don't work, but the dialogue and acting are above reproach.

Grrr! 08-02-2019 03:59 PM

I was sure Europa Report was going to meet the requirements but it got 85 on the "Tomatometer" and 53 with the "audience".

Not sure which one of those I'm supposed to be looking at.

ftg 08-02-2019 04:03 PM

Domino (2005) is 18% at RT. (Wikipedia says 19%. Somehow it lost a percent since that was written.)

I recorded it off of cable to watch since I have a thing for bad movies. I was planning on zipping thru it, catching a scene here or there. But I kept watching more and more of it in normal time. Eventually I gave up and watched the whole thing. It surprised me. Not at all bad.

It is not to be confused with the 1988 or 2019 films of the same name.

zimaane 08-02-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

National Treasure 2 is rated even lower (36%), but I liked it, and the original.

Mahaloth 08-02-2019 04:34 PM

I'll go all in on a series that deserves your immediate purchase:

The Maze Runner trilogy, which my wife and I bought on Blu-ray for something like $20. We love this series so much, we knew the moment it came in a Blu-ray bundle, we'd buy it:

Maze Runner: 65% Rotten Tomatoes. Let me tell you, this is a really great movie.

Scorch Trials: 46% Rotten Tomatoes - I'll say it. It's better than the first one. What a movie.

The Death Cure: 43% Rotten Tomatoes - A truly great finale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmwgreen (Post 21786063)
Odd Thomas (2013). From the maker of The Mummy (1999?). I thought the movie was intriguing, read the books as a result. On checking, I see it had 36% from the critics, but 65% from the rotten tomato audience. Does it have to be less than 50 on both?

Great call. I actually think they did not fully finish the effects in this movie, but even so, it holds up incredibly.

Quote:

Great, great pick. My kids and I love these movies. They are:

- well made
- funny
- actiony
- totally appropriate for kids under 10

Go_Arachnid_Laser 08-02-2019 04:39 PM

Christophe Gans' Silent Hill (2006) is rated 30% in RT.

30%.

That's just insane to me. Oh, sure, it's not perfect. I'm not saying it should have won all the Oscars that year or anything... but it's one of the finest horror movies I've ever seen, with plenty of really effective scenes.

Grrr! 08-02-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser (Post 21786206)
Christophe Gans' Silent Hill (2006) is rated 30% in RT.

30%.

That's just insane to me. Oh, sure, it's not perfect. I'm not saying it should have won all the Oscars that year or anything... but it's one of the finest horror movies I've ever seen, with plenty of really effective scenes.

Wow, I liked this one too.

kenobi 65 08-02-2019 04:53 PM

Van Helsing (2004). 24% RT rating, 57% audience score. Yes, it's a silly movie, with overblown fight scenes. It's still a lot of fun, Hugh Jackman is good in it, and Kate Beckinsale looks fabulous in tight pants (even if her Transylvanian accent leaves a lot to be desired). I like to refer to it as "a big wheel of monster-movie cheese." :)

RivkahChaya 08-02-2019 04:57 PM

It came out before 2000, but it came out when I was an adult, and it has a 13% on RT: Slaves of New York. I feel the same way about the book-- I freaking love this book. I bought it fully intending to hate it-- I want to hate all the right things-- but I loved it. I couldn't put it down. Anyway, regarding the movie: both Siskel and Ebert absolutely hated it. It's very rare that I like something they BOTH hated. Sometimes I hate something they both liked, but the other way around, not so much.

A film not on Rotten Tomatoes, because I don't think it's ever been officially released; it tested horribly with preview group. However, I saw a torrent, that was missing a few parts, but was about 90% complete, and easy to follow. It's the US version of Ab Fab. No, it was in no way as good as he original, but I still liked it. Maybe I liked it because it starred Kathryn Hahn, who is married to one of my brother's best friends, and Kristen Johnston, who is genuinely hilarious in anything she does, including reading Mr. T's autobiography. But I liked it.

elfkin477 08-02-2019 04:58 PM

I really like the National Treasure movies, Domino, and Silent Hill also. But my pick is The Book of Henry. Is it a masterpiece? No. But certainly not worthy of the scornful 22% critics give it.

Go_Arachnid_Laser 08-02-2019 05:04 PM

Another baffling one: Reign of Fire (2002) is at 42% at Rottenttomatoes.

It's a movie where Christian Bale, Matthew MacConaughey, Isabella Scorupco and Gerard Butler fight dragons, for God's sake!

Jet Jaguar 08-02-2019 05:25 PM

Are we going by critics or audience score? I also like National Treasure, but while it's 46% on the Tomatometer, it has a 76% audience score.

enalzi 08-02-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar (Post 21786285)
Are we going by critics or audience score? I also like National Treasure, but while it's 46% on the Tomatometer, it has a 76% audience score.

Presumably critic score, since that's the main score RT uses. And in the example given by XKCD, Terminator Genisys has a 53% audience score.

DigitalC 08-02-2019 06:38 PM

Speed Racer, 2008 Emile Hirsch version. Highly entertaining from start to finish, great plot, great action, great effects. I just don't understand how you can watch that movie and not have fun. Somehow only 40% at RT.

SpoilerVirgin 08-02-2019 06:42 PM

I loved What Men Want, the Taraji P. Henson comedy from earlier this year that's at 44% on the tomatometer and 32% audience score.

Go_Arachnid_Laser 08-02-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalC (Post 21786399)
Speed Racer, 2008 Emile Hirsch version. Highly entertaining from start to finish, great plot, great action, great effects. I just don't understand how you can watch that movie and not have fun. Somehow only 40% at RT.

NO!

I watch Speed Racer almost annually! This is absolutely a 10/10 movie. Not even joking. smh.

Peanuthead 08-02-2019 07:43 PM

Small Apartments released in 2013 is an outstanding movie. I don't know how rottentomatoes works but the movie has a green splat with 33% and a popcorn box (garbage can?) with 40%

Chronos 08-02-2019 07:56 PM

Well, if we're going by the critic score, then this year's Godzilla: King of the Monsters was 41% (but 83% with viewers). They knew exactly what movie they wanted to make, and they made it exactly how they wanted, and the result is an excellent specimen of a kaiju movie. It's not a very good drama or thriller or whatever, but that's because it wasn't supposed to be.

Presumably, the high audience score is because most of the people watching a Godzilla movie are there because they want to see a Godzilla movie.

Kimble 08-02-2019 08:14 PM

I thought Tron Legacy would count, but it's at 51%. Nothing else came to mind before reading the thread; I guess I'll second National Treasure.

The Other Waldo Pepper 08-02-2019 08:23 PM

I found Vanilla Sky to be plenty interesting.

RikWriter 08-02-2019 08:31 PM

Sahara. I thought it was very entertaining and had a great soundtrack. Steve Zahn's Al was hilarious. It's an incredibly rewatchable movie.

davey77 08-02-2019 08:34 PM

At 14%, 2008's The Love Guru certainly qualifies as "unpopular". This movie is an unappreciated laugh riot.

Hampshire 08-02-2019 09:27 PM

I loved both Speedracer and Justice League.
Hansel & Gretel : Witch Hunters has a measly 14% on Rotten Tomatoes but I thought the f/x were top notch, the story moved along, and it was really fun and campy. Not sure what reviewers were expecting out of it.

madsircool 08-02-2019 09:32 PM

I was going to mention The Ninth Configuration because given all the crap it gets on these boards I thought it must be fairly well hated, but....not. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ninth_configuration So instead I will nominate https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/up_in_smoke_1978, poor production values and acting but boy is it funny.

Mahaloth 08-02-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampshire (Post 21786656)
Hansel & Gretel : Witch Hunters has a measly 14% on Rotten Tomatoes but I thought the f/x were top notch, the story moved along, and it was really fun and campy. Not sure what reviewers were expecting out of it.

Good pick, another one my wife and I liked. I mean, it's not amazing, but it isn't the kind of crappy movie you'd expect from the title.

I also liked The Last Witch Hunter. It had 17% RT and 43% Audience Score.

Baron Greenback 08-02-2019 09:41 PM

Battle:Los Angeles (36%)

It's a military-squad-dropped-into-big-trouble movie. With aliens! It has some issues with pacing in the first act, but other than that it's a really, really good action movie.

Left Hand of Dorkness 08-02-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos (Post 21786076)
Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Sure, it wasn't great, like Episodes 4 and 5 were, but I thought that it was clearly, unambiguously better than The Force Awakens, at least, and took the series in some interesting new directions. But apparently 56% of audiences disagree with me.

56% of the people who bother to go to RT to express their opinion--and given how much incel idiots hated TLJ, I'm not sure I'd take that number as significant. The critics gave it 91% fresh.

I don't see enough movies to rank on this list, and also I'm in my forties so my watching-shitloads-of-movies days are behind me.

RikWriter 08-02-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Greenback (Post 21786676)

It's a military-squad-dropped-into-big-trouble movie. With aliens! It has some issues with pacing in the first act, but other than that it's a really, really good action movie.

I liked it as well.

pohjonen 08-02-2019 10:03 PM

I vote for Year One with Jack Black and Michael Cera. Only 23 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, but I liked it. Even went out of my way to get the DVD.

sweepkick 08-03-2019 12:35 AM

For me it's The Brother's Grimm. 38%/39% tomatometer/audience respectively.

I also agree with Hansel and Gretel and Speed Racer.

pmwgreen 08-03-2019 01:33 AM

Just thought of this one. Paycheck (2003). Based on a Philip K. Dick story as if you couldn't tell. I've got a bunch more but they are all pre 21st century.

Actually, Transcendence (2014). An old reliable sci-fi plot is likeable schlub gets superpowers, becomes insufferable jerk, saves world, is still insufferable. In this movie likeable adept man get superpowers and stays likeable. Everybody else loses their damn minds and try to kill him. World is not saved. (Or is it?) (Contains graphic scene of keyboard used as doorstop)

kaylasdad99 08-03-2019 02:11 AM

Unfortunately North is too old (1994) to qualify. I did enjoy Year One, though.

journeyman_southpaw 08-03-2019 02:40 AM

Only God Forgives (2013). 41% on the tomatomater and 37% with viewers. It's a bleak arthouse film with lots of violence and other nastiness so it's certainly not for everyone, but it worked for me.

Smapti 08-03-2019 06:42 AM

Constantine (2005) and Conan the Barbarian (2011) for me.

Power Rangers (2017) is at exactly 50%, which may or may not count.

Jay & Silent Bob's Super Groovy Cartoon Movie is unrated by RT critics, but has a 24% viewer rating, and I loved that flick, so I'm gonna count it.

Terminus Est 08-03-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Hell, yeah! The actors playing soldiers actually moved like soldiers, with proper military tactics, all while they're fighting bug-eyed monsters. What's not to like?

dorvann 08-03-2019 07:52 AM

Hulk (2003) has a score of 62% with critics and 29% with audience so I am not sure it qualifies. But I really enjoyed it and though people are under-rating it.

Terminator Genisys (2015) has a score of 26% with critics and 53% with audience and it's another movie I really enjoyed. I can understand how it might not be everyone's cup of tea. Time travel movies have a tendency to be overly-complicated and this is a prime example. Also if you haven't seen the first Terminator you might a little lost watching it.

GuanoLad 08-03-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondebear (Post 21786095)
The Lone Ranger (Tomatometer/Audience average = 41%)

That was going to be mine.

But as a unique pick, one I still don't understand the hate for: Cars 2.

hogarth 08-03-2019 10:33 AM

I thought the Andam Sandblerg movie "That's My Boy" (20% fresh) was quite funny.

Quimby 08-03-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

This is another good one. I genuinely really liked that movie.