Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Stranger Things 3. No spoilers until post 54 (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=878247)

DSeid 07-05-2019 11:01 AM

Stranger Things 3. No spoilers until post 54

Yes I binged the whole thing.

Still fun but a bit less fun than 2 which was a bit less fun than 1. Some good bits. I do wonder if
SPOILER:
the mayor's comments about his July 4th celebration were added in context of Trump's celebration.

I propose spoiler-free through end of the month and as of August 1 no more needed with an assumption that those who have wanted to see it would have by then. Open for debate of course. I don't get to make the rules. This is a hard balance to hit.

SPOILER:
Really, Day of the Dead as the main movie cultural touchpoint with a touch of the previous year's Terminator? With evils of the mall and Cold War thrown in? Really?

None of the characters really grabbed me this time.

And I can't be the only who thought Hopper should have muttered "I should have gone for the head" ... :)

And with that as a reference, is being dusted necessarily dead?

Biggirl 07-05-2019 04:16 PM

Those kids need to stop aging. I haven't changed one single iota since this series started and all those kids are all bigger and older and stuff. Even the teenaged kids!

Allecher 07-06-2019 10:42 AM

I enjoyed it but it did seem more gory than the previous seasons. I wonder if that will hurt its popularity with the pre-teen audience?

Mahaloth 07-06-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggirl (Post 21734345)
Those kids need to stop aging. I haven't changed one single iota since this series started and all those kids are all bigger and older and stuff. Even the teenaged kids!

I believe they have aged in-show accordingly.

Season 1 - 1983

Season 2 - 1984

Season3 - Summer of 1985

hogarth 07-06-2019 10:17 PM

I liked it better than Season 2, where Eleven was separated from the rest of the gang for a good chunk of the season and the plot was kind of a rehash of Season 1.

Adding the
SPOILER:
Russians, especially the Terminator-guy
added some freshness, I thought. It was a bit silly in places, but I liked the silly parts.

DSeid 07-06-2019 10:33 PM

While waiting for enough people to catch up, what do you think will be the movie cultural reference points for next year (1986)? I did NOT guess the main reference point they'd use for 1985!

Some really strong contenders. From Aliens, to The Fly, to Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Stand By Me, Short Circuit, to Labyrinth, to Howard the Duck :). Top Gun ... Platoon, probably not. Which ping your nostalgia the most?

Ashtura 07-07-2019 01:00 AM

That Russian thug guy was pretty much the Terminator.

Honestly, I think nostalgia meter peaked in season 1 for me. The music probably hits me the most.

I am astonished that the Duffer bothers are young enough they probably have no real memories of the 80s. They do a good job capturing the feel.

I liked it, but I think it probably should have ended this season, and definitely should end next season.

UltraVires 07-07-2019 01:57 AM

This show just keeps getting better. For anyone hung up on the goofiness of it, the show it really a nostalgic comedy at its roots. I'm gonna order me some New Coke while I'm at it.

GuanoLad 07-07-2019 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashtura (Post 21736018)
I liked it, but I think it probably should have ended this season, and definitely should end next season.

The original plan was to only have one season with this cast, and future seasons to range out of Hawkins with only some of them returning but mainly all new characters based elsewhere, and then do that again for the subsequent seasons, etc. But these kids were all so popular they kept everything in Hawkins with the same cast. The part in season 2 where Eleven found more numbered powered kids seems to be a holdover from that idea. If they do get a season 4 or 5, they may now finally action that plan.

I'm only halfway through. So far I've seen a bit of Explorers, a bit of Terminator, a bit of Fast Times, possibly some My Science Project, and a bit of whatever the mall sequences are based on, maybe Valley Girl?

Author Balk 07-07-2019 06:57 AM

If they get to 1988 would they do a reference to Beetlejuice?

Oswald Bastable 07-07-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSeid (Post 21735921)
Some really strong contenders. From Aliens, to The Fly, to Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Stand By Me, Short Circuit, to Labyrinth, to Howard the Duck :). Top Gun ... Platoon, probably not. Which ping your nostalgia the most?

Police Academy 3: Back in Training?

OB

simster 07-07-2019 08:13 AM

We thought it was great - laughed really hard in 7 and 8 - great effects, genuinely tense and alot of fun.

I'll wait until open spoilers to get into details - and there has to be a season 4.

UltraVires 07-07-2019 09:35 AM

SPOILER:
I don't see how there can be a Season 4. Everyone has left Hawkins and Hopper is likely dead unless they can Days of Our Lives his ass and make him that American in the Russian prison. But he cannot go back to Hawkins as he has committed multiple serious felonies. Season 4 would have to be some cobbled together nonsense.

DSeid 07-07-2019 11:02 AM

Re UltraVires
SPOILER:
No question there will be a season four. What with Mayor now jailed and United States government involved in covering up the Rooskies being infiltrated in the heartland and the supernatural menace, he won't be charged at all. Not in that universe. And the missing staff of a newspaper? Will never be mentioned.

Either Hopper's dusting was not a melting (and we never saw his melted remains) but a transport of some sort or it is an intentional feint with another major character not recently seen being in that cell. Some article came up in my feed that suggested that, and could be.

But yes the next season has to include some more out of Hawkins, possibly bringing back Kali from that bottle episode (which I was in a minority and liked) and making her a factor. Especially given the loss of El's powers sets her as the one with the power to fight the Flayer, or to help El get hers back.

UltraVires 07-07-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSeid (Post 21736466)
Re UltraVires
SPOILER:
No question there will be a season four. What with Mayor now jailed and United States government involved in covering up the Rooskies being infiltrated in the heartland and the supernatural menace, he won't be charged at all. Not in that universe. And the missing staff of a newspaper? Will never be mentioned.

Either Hopper's dusting was not a melting (and we never saw his melted remains) but a transport of some sort or it is an intentional feint with another major character not recently seen being in that cell. Some article came up in my feed that suggested that, and could be.

But yes the next season has to include some more out of Hawkins, possibly bringing back Kali from that bottle episode (which I was in a minority and liked) and making her a factor. Especially given the loss of El's powers sets her as the one with the power to fight the Flayer, or to help El get hers back.

SPOILER:
That is a neat idea. "Next year" would be 1986. It would be interesting if the Soviets understand the danger of the upside down world and there is a joint US-Soviet mission to destroy it, perhaps leading to the real-life thawing of relations between the two countries. Perhaps a giant nuclear explosion is needed to destroy the upside down on the Russian side and Chernobyl is the cover story for it.

GreysonCarlisle 07-07-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraVires (Post 21736512)
SPOILER:
That is a neat idea. "Next year" would be 1986. It would be interesting if the Soviets understand the danger of the upside down world and there is a joint US-Soviet mission to destroy it, perhaps leading to the real-life thawing of relations between the two countries. Perhaps a giant nuclear explosion is needed to destroy the upside down on the Russian side and Chernobyl is the cover story for it.

SPOILER:

That's an interesting idea. My understanding of the upside down is that it's a whole world, once much like ours, that the Mind Flayer invaded. A nuclear event wouldn't destroy the upside down, but that might be just what it takes to end the Mind Flayer.

Omar Little 07-07-2019 02:30 PM

My favorite of the three seasons. Our Neverending Story!!!

GreysonCarlisle 07-07-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle (Post 21736704)
SPOILER:

That's an interesting idea. My understanding of the upside down is that it's a whole world, once much like ours, that the Mind Flayer invaded. A nuclear event wouldn't destroy the upside down, but that might be just what it takes to end the Mind Flayer.

SPOILER:

On the other hand, if the 4th season takes place in Spring of 86, there are a couple of other incidents that might be covered. In mid-February, the Soviets launched the Mir space station, so we might get some Aliens action.

In March, the Challenger wreckage was recovered, but I don't imagine the Duffers will tread on that ground.

GreysonCarlisle 07-07-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSeid (Post 21733883)
I propose spoiler-free through end of the month and as of August 1 no more needed with an assumption that those who have wanted to see it would have by then. Open for debate of course.

I'd prefer that this thread be open spoilers (with an all-caps warning in the thread title). I just finished the show last night, and I want to talk freely about it NOW, dammit, NOW. ;)

What Exit? 07-07-2019 04:08 PM

It was awesome, though it did take a while to build up to it.

SPOILER:
The mall scenes were the main tribute to Fast Times along with all the Phoebe Cates mentions.

I loved the new editions, Robin, Maya Hawke is the daughter of Ethan Hawke & Uma Thurman. She was great. The greatly expanded role for Erica (Lucas's little sister) was well done and felt like most of the little sisters in 80s TV. Cary Elwes, my favorite pirate was really solid as the scumbag mayor. His American Accent was impeccable. Bringing Murray (Brett Gelman) back was a stretch, but I am really glad they did. He really added a lot to the humor of the final episodes.

So everyone is now stuck in long-distance relationships except Max & Lucas. I think I saw Suzie on Broadway in Matilda as Matilda. I'm pretty sure she was the Matilda when we went. I wonder if she'll get in on the fun next season?

I knew Back to the Future was the likeliest nerdlove movie for this season but couldn't really figure out how they would get it in, glad they figured out a way to use it.
As to 1986, Stand By Me, Ferris Bueller, Aliens (which season 2 already did) and Star Trek IV (Whale movie) and maybe Little Shop of Horrors were the biggest appropriate movies. I not sure if any of these will be more then referenced.

I'm sure Hopper is not dead, but the American in Kamchatka

Biggirl 07-07-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahaloth (Post 21735250)

Season 1 - 1983

Season 2 - 1984

Season3 - Summer of 1985

I don't think you understand the nature of my complaint about youngsters growing up without my permission.

Tangent 07-07-2019 10:23 PM

Just finished the last episode. I really enjoyed this season. I wasn't sure about the first couple of episodes because they were being a little more ham-handed than usual at throwing in the obvious 80s cliches, but once the setting was established and the story got moving, it really picked up. At the moment, I'd say I liked it more than season 2. Season 2 probably has a more coherent story and a more consistent tone, but it was also a smaller story and that tone is so dark and dismal. Season 3 feels like it has more fun moments sprinkled in along the way, even though the story is still very dark and the antagonist looms even, uh... larger than ever before. Season 1 is still the best, but S3 is quite good and I look forward to giving it a rewatch soon.

hogarth 07-08-2019 12:06 AM

I totally missed that there was a mid-credits scene in the last episode. Good thing I was checking this thread...

Pork Rind 07-08-2019 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tangent (Post 21737318)
Just finished the last episode. I really enjoyed this season. I wasn't sure about the first couple of episodes because they were being a little more ham-handed than usual at throwing in the obvious 80s cliches, but once the setting was established and the story got moving, it really picked up. At the moment, I'd say I liked it more than season 2. Season 2 probably has a more coherent story and a more consistent tone, but it was also a smaller story and that tone is so dark and dismal. Season 3 feels like it has more fun moments sprinkled in along the way, even though the story is still very dark and the antagonist looms even, uh... larger than ever before. Season 1 is still the best, but S3 is quite good and I look forward to giving it a rewatch soon.

I agree with all this. I think what really set season 1 apart was that the nostalgia factor seemed, I dunno, organic. Or at least unexpected. Seasons 2 and 3 feel like more forced I think. “Do you remember this song? Huh, do ya? And this shirt, funny isn’t it?” Season 2 was worse in that regard, I feel like they dialed it back just a little this time.

I really want to watch season 1 again to see if I still feel that way seeing it now that I know the “formula”.

Nauplius 07-08-2019 10:24 AM

SPOILER:
Barb, Bob, Billy. God help anyone in Hawkins, Indiana whose first name starts with 'B'.

Nonsuch 07-08-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahaloth (Post 21735250)

Season 1 - 1983

Season 2 - 1984

Season3 - Summer of 1985

There was a 20-month gap between seasons 2 and 3. To match the actors' real-world aging, season 3 should take place in summer of 1986.

UltraVires 07-08-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogarth (Post 21737421)
I totally missed that there was a mid-credits scene in the last episode. Good thing I was checking this thread...

What is the deal with this? It keeps happening in many different episodes. Is it a way to ensure that people watch the credits? If so, it's a bullshit tactic. Credits mean that the show is fucking over and nothing else is coming.

But if they are trying to get people to watch the credits, then they need to inform Netflix which will autoskip to the next episode 5 seconds after the credits start rolling.

What Exit? 07-08-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraVires (Post 21738492)
What is the deal with this? It keeps happening in many different episodes. Is it a way to ensure that people watch the credits? If so, it's a bullshit tactic. Credits mean that the show is fucking over and nothing else is coming.

But if they are trying to get people to watch the credits, then they need to inform Netflix which will autoskip to the next episode 5 seconds after the credits start rolling.

FYI: You can turn that feature off in Netflix, I did so quite a while back.

The credit tags use to be rare, but the Marvel Universe movies made them pretty common these days.

Biffster 07-08-2019 03:54 PM

Stranger Things 3. No spoilers until 8/1/19

Quote:

SPOILER:

The fact that
SPOILER:
two newspaper staff were missing might not be that big a deal, but there were an awful lot of other townspeople who also got goopified into that rat-monster creature. Surely that would’ve had a big impact on the town.
That’s what I’m saying.

Biffster 07-08-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle (Post 21736736)
I'd prefer that this thread be open spoilers (with an all-caps warning in the thread title). I just finished the show last night, and I want to talk freely about it NOW, dammit, NOW. ;)

Guess you’re gonna have to get used to
SPOILER:
using spoiler tags
for the time being.

simster 07-08-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biffster (Post 21738620)
The fact that
SPOILER:
two newspaper staff were missing might not be that big a deal, but there were an awful lot of other townspeople who also got goopified into that rat-monster creature. Surely that would’ve had a big impact on the town.
That’s what I’m saying.

SPOILER:
They had the 'conspiracy montage' and specifically mentioned that 30 people went missing, etc

GreysonCarlisle 07-08-2019 04:22 PM

SPOILER:
I like how they gave a nod to the Satanic Panic of the mid-80s.

GreysonCarlisle 07-08-2019 06:22 PM

Stranger Things 3: Critique, Reaction, and Theories [OPEN SPOILERS]

OPEN SPOILERS! If you don't want Season 3 spoiled, stop reading now.

I just can't get enough of that show. I've watched Season 3 twice now, and I think I'll re-watch The Battle of Starcourt again tonight. I love the characters, the actors, their chemistry, the shots, the effects, most of the plot, and much of the humor.

I like how many secondary characters aren't just discarded. Erica is back, as is Murray and little Holly. Some of the parents are shown, Karen most notably. On the other hand, bad people don't often come back--the middle school bullies, Steve's former pals, Joyce's ex-husband. I would have liked to seen or heard something about them.

The new characters were welcome additions. Erica (again), who I suspect was inspired by Dee from What's Happening!!. Robin is the take-charge manager who can say the most when she says the least (her little "Steve..." in the stall is a case in point). And the enormously cute Suzie! Loved Cary Elwes as the crooked mayor, but it took me a while to place him.

There were some really great shots and transitions. Especially the long shot of the kids in the car that refocused to be Billy's view through the windshield. The battle with the itty Mind Flayer amid all the fireworks over El's unconscious body could have easily been a promo shot, except that it gave too much away.

Nothing they come up with can be funnier than Season 2's "How was the pullout?", but Dustin's antics carried every scene he was in. If not him, then Lucas. Hilarious, both of them.

No, I don't think 3 was as good as 2. And they'll never be able to top 1, except maybe technically, because the first one is always new and mysterious, something sequels lose. Still, I'm already stoked for 4.

But, if there's not a 4, this is a good point to end things. Hop's final message to El. The Byers leaving town. The dissolution of the party. The only lingering major questions are whether El will get her juice back and whether Hop is somehow alive.

One thing I still don't get, though--what was the point of eating the Ajax and fertilizer? Was it to cause the human bodies to dissolve?

The nostalgia wasn't really there for me this time. During Season 1 and 2, I kept seeing things and saying Hey--we had one just like that!, but there was little of that for Season 3. But that's fine--I'm there for the characters and the story now.

Predictions for Season 4: Hop is alive, if not well. I doubt that he's The American--I think that'll turn out to be Papa--but I think Hop jumped or got sucked into the Upside Down. The crew from Hawkins will find him, and either he or El will remark on the door being left open just three inches.

I absolutely think that the final destruction of the Mind Flayer will be with a Soviet-sanctioned nuclear blast. Chernobyl will be the cover story. [Got that idea from a post in the other thread.] That's why, I suspect, Season 3 took place in 85, not 86. Placing it a year later would have kept the actors from aging out of their characters, but that's not the way they chose to go. So 86 is significant in some way.

Tangent 07-09-2019 10:50 PM

Was there ever any explanation for what, exactly, was the purpose of that green acidic stuff that the Russians had in their lair? I'm wondering if I missed something about that.

Pork Rind 07-09-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tangent (Post 21741507)
Was there ever any explanation for what, exactly, was the purpose of that green acidic stuff that the Russians had in their lair? I'm wondering if I missed something about that.

The cylinders plugged into slots radially around the the whirly machine.

snfaulkner 07-09-2019 11:24 PM

Just finished it. It was good, but I think worst of the 3. The last few episodes really dragged to me.

SPOILER:
I feel like the monster plot took a back seat to the coming of age plot. Previous seasons blended the two much better...from what I remember.

Fyi, DO NOT QUOTE SPOILERS! I'm on chrome on my phone and all the quoted spoiler boxes are visible.

DigitalC 07-10-2019 06:18 PM

SPOILER:
Did they explain what the green stuff that melted metal like Alien blood the Russians had was?

Tangent 07-10-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalC (Post 21743330)
SPOILER:
Did they explain what the green stuff that melted metal like Alien blood the Russians had was?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tangent (Post 21741507)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pork Rind (Post 21741545)
The cylinders plugged into slots radially around the the whirly machine.

I guess that was all they showed about it. I don't recall anything explaining specifically what it is or what it does.

Darren Garrison 07-10-2019 10:11 PM

Spore drive. Expect a crossover with Crytrek.

solost 07-11-2019 08:57 AM

I have a theory about the post-credits scene:
SPOILER:
the reference to “the American”, I mean. I think that since David Harbour was going to play the new Hellboy, it was a way to keep their options open- if he didn’t come back to the show it was a red herring and Hopper is dead; if he did make it back for season 4 it would explain why he was suddenly jacked— prison food + lots of pushups and sit-ups in his Russian prison cell.

iiandyiiii 07-11-2019 09:07 AM

I really liked the new season. I liked 1 and 2 as well, and I think this one lived up to that standard.

Ashtura 07-11-2019 10:51 AM

Oh, while I'm here: Can someone please explain to me why the Russians were in America and how they found out about the American experiments? I think I missed that scene.

Also, did the Russians let out the creature that took over Billy, or was that a coincidence that all this stuff was going on at the same time?

iiandyiiii 07-11-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashtura (Post 21744559)
Oh, while I'm here: Can someone please explain to me why the Russians were in America and how they found out about the American experiments? I think I missed that scene.

Also, did the Russians let out the creature that took over Billy, or was that a coincidence that all this stuff was going on at the same time?

Because in the 80s, the USSR was an evil empire superpower, with unlimited resources and global reach. Rather than a bloated, corrupt bureaucracy that could barely feed their own people.

StusBlues 07-11-2019 11:06 AM

Probably my favorite season so far.

I loved the growing maturity of the core group and the issues that they face. It's not a spoiler to point out that growing up has wonderful rewards, but damn, it hurts sometimes.

I have one discussion point along those lines about the state of one of the characters by the end of the series, but that is best saved until spoilers are allowed.

Tangent 07-11-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Author Balk (Post 21736180)
If they get to 1988 would they do a reference to Beetlejuice?

There actually was a little jokey reference to one of Winona Ryder's movies:

SPOILER:
When Joyce goes to visit Mr. Clarke (the science teacher) the song "My Bologna" by Weird Al is playing as the background music. This is, of course, a parody of "My Sharona" by The Knack--a song that had a revival in 1994 when it was featured in the movie Reality Bites starring Winona Ryder.

TruCelt 07-11-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

SPOILER:

The USSR was really, really big. It's something like 5,000 miles form Chernobyl to Kamchatka, and that's as the crow flies. Far longer if you tried to drive it.

I was not enjoying this season at all. It felt to me like an eight-episode treatment of one episode of Red Dwarf.

And little things kept pulling me out of it, like I don't remember ever seeing them selling sneakers in The Gap. And seriously, poor little El has had enough. I don't think I can watch this show torture her any more. Did they really have to do that to her? :(

Darren Garrison 07-11-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tangent (Post 21744797)
There actually was a little jokey reference to one of Winona Ryder's movies:

SPOILER:
When Joyce goes to visit Mr. Clarke (the science teacher) the song "My Bologna" by Weird Al is playing as the background music. This is, of course, a parody of "My Sharona" by The Knack--a song that had a revival in 1994 when it was featured in the movie Reality Bites starring Winona Ryder.

Yep, I noticed that one.

Did they show any Evian anywhere?

Ashtura 07-11-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 21744567)
Because in the 80s, the USSR was an evil empire superpower, with unlimited resources and global reach. Rather than a bloated, corrupt bureaucracy that could barely feed their own people.

Yeah, but, lets assume that was true in-universe (and that it is necessary to dress in full Russian military attire in Indiana deep underground). Why were they there?

iiandyiiii 07-11-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashtura (Post 21744941)
Yeah, but, lets assume that was true in-universe (and that it is necessary to dress in full Russian military attire in Indiana deep underground). Why were they there?

Because evil empires must control the means and science behind interdimensional travel and communication, in their quest to control the world. And Hawkins
is special. Duhh! ;)

simster 07-11-2019 01:44 PM

In Season 1 - flashbacks to Ell's early days of testing, she was shown specifically spying on the Russians - then she discovered the creature and the upside down as part of that. (And papa started focusing on that aspect).