Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Re-edit a well-known song (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=879921)

Chad Sudan 08-04-2019 01:33 PM

Re-edit a well-known song

Imagine yourself behind the producer's console. You can "fix" a musical element of one well-known song recorded in the modern era.

Will you cut back on the "woo woo"s in the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil"?

Find another singer to redo Yoko's line in the Beatles' "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill"?

Choose a song most of us know and tell us how you'd edit it to improve it.

ekedolphin 08-04-2019 01:35 PM

I'd cut at least two, possibly three, minutes off of the end of The Beatles' "Hey Jude", which is 7 minutes and 11 seconds long in total. What, was Paul getting paid by the minute or something? Other than that, the song is perfect!

I'd do something similar with "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" by the same band.

Guest-starring: Id! 08-05-2019 08:26 PM

"Knights In White Satin" could use a lot more speeding up to accommodate a 120 b.p.m. double kick beat (which isn't deathmetal fast but fast enough to make the old hippies stand up and take notice), and replace the flute solo with a frequently-muted trumpet; the vocals definitely could be a little more Gilbert Gottfried-y; and maybe a little bit of slide whistle to abruptly end the song with.
Justin Hayward should ditch his telecaster for this, and try a wicked BC Rich Warlock with whammy bar. ("Justin! More palm-mutes!")

Snowboarder Bo 08-05-2019 08:29 PM

I prefer my remix of Black Eyed Peas' Request Line over the original (although that's true of every remix I've done): Black Eyed Peas - Request Line (BoardWaxMix)

Basically, I completely redid the song structure, stripped the beat and the accompaniment bare and emphasized the raps over the vocal hook.

Just Asking Questions 08-05-2019 08:48 PM

A couple that I hate that I'm, just waiting for technology to get to the point I can make it happen.

Remove the mumbles verses that are barely audible but are very annoying in Chicago's Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? (Fortunately it's really easy to eliminate the horrible piano intro that sounds like a 5 year old beating on the keys.)

Remove almost all to all of the sampled movie dialog in Big Audio Dynamite's E=Mc Squared. It's so annoying. And the rest of the song is very good.

And a couple I can do and have done, but maybe others would enjoy my edits:

I removed the mumbling ending of the movie soundtrack version of Pretty in Pink.

I took several minutes out of the middle of ELP's Take A Pebble. It's a nice song that gets lost for a while.

I deleted the into to the Kingston Trio's MTA. It's better as a short song.

RealityChuck 08-05-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekedolphin (Post 21788935)
I'd do something similar with "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" by the same band.

I'm curious. Have you listened to the song on vinyl or on CD/streaming? It does make a difference.

I'd cut out the solo at the end of "Free Bird."

The record company has already done it for me, but I'd cut out and burn all tapes of the awful organ solo on "Light My Fire."

Snowboarder Bo 08-05-2019 09:20 PM

I removed the spoken word intro to Jane's Addiction's Stop.

digs 08-05-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions (Post 21789515)
A couple that I hate that I'm, just waiting for technology to get to the point I can make it happen...

Some band released a song on their website with each instrument/vocal on a separate track. Listeners could open it up in Audacity or Pro Tools or even GarageBand and remix (or just tweak) each instrument.

So, all I'm asking for is every song available like this.

And before I got to a few beloved Van Morrison songs, I'd do the Lite-Rock™ crowd a favor and take out some OOGA-CHAKAs.

Art Rock 08-06-2019 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekedolphin (Post 21788935)
I'd cut at least two, possibly three, minutes off of the end of The Beatles' "Hey Jude", which is 7 minutes and 11 seconds long in total. What, was Paul getting paid by the minute or something? Other than that, the song is perfect!

I actually did that for our car MP3 USB stick. Hey Jude now clocks in at 3:57.

Aspidistra 08-06-2019 04:21 AM

The violin in Funky Town is ahead of the beat in the chorus (where it alternates with the guitar).

On the other hand, I've been listening to it like that so long it might just be weird fixing it

Just Asking Questions 08-06-2019 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digs (Post 21789566)
... I'd do the Lite-Rock™ crowd a favor and take out some OOGA-CHAKAs.

I LIKE the oooga-chacka version!

I can't help this feeling.

Hypno-Toad 08-06-2019 08:37 AM

I'd cut the ponderous overly long intro off from "Am I Evil?" by Metallica.

Horatio Hellpop 08-06-2019 10:28 AM

This isn't a huge hit, but... "When You Get to Asheville" by Steve Martin and Edie Brickell. There's one line so forced to fit the meter that it really takes me out of the song:
"She won't sleep in the house now
She just listens for the sound
Of your old eighty-four Ford
Comin' down the road"

I would change one of those lines to "Of your eighty-seven Ford." You are welcome.

Guest-starring: Id! 08-06-2019 04:17 PM

Adelle's "Hello" is sadly devoid of cowbell.

xizor 08-06-2019 04:49 PM

I would remove the disco interlude from the middle of Tom Petty's "American Girl"

Face Intentionally Left Blank 08-06-2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealityChuck (Post 21789522)
The record company has already done it for me, but I'd cut out and burn all tapes of the awful organ solo on "Light My Fire."

You mean Manzarek's part in the album-length cut, or is there some other reference here I'm missing? They burned the tapes? What?

If you're referring to the album cut that we always hear on the radio, I'm surprised at this. Recently, I've decided that, "Light my Fire" might be the only song I simply CANNOT tire of. Forget Jim's vocals, they're just a life-support system for awesome guitar and organ solos.

(shrugs) Opinions vary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Sudan (Post 21788930)
Imagine yourself behind the producer's console. You can "fix" a musical element of one well-known song recorded in the modern era.

Will you cut back on the "woo woo"s in the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil"?

Dingdingding! Winner! I ruined the song for a friend by drawing his attention to them. Once done, that's all he could hear.

"Cowbell" was mentioned a few posts up. Back when the SNL, "More Cowbell" skit was still fresh, there was a webpage that would automatically add MORE COWBELL to any song you uploaded. I chose, "D.T", by AC/DC.

It came out great. Along with the added cowbell, it added, at entirely TOO appropriate moments in the song, phrases from the skit. Walken says, "I gotta have more cowbell!", someone else yells angrily, "C'MON GENE!", and as the song fades out, Will Ferrell says, "I could pull it back a little, if you like. . ."

It was far better than it had a right to be: pretty enjoyable as music while also being amusing. Of course, everything's better with Walken. I still have that in my MP3 directory, more than 15 years later.

Tinker Grey 08-06-2019 10:36 PM

"Wha-oh...here comes a flock of wanh-wanhs!"

JKellyMap 08-06-2019 10:58 PM

There’s a few seconds of awful noise in Beck’s “Beercan” I’d remove.

Dag Otto 08-06-2019 11:13 PM

I'd cut "Layla" in half. Not sure which half to keep. Probably doesn't matter much.

digs 08-07-2019 07:51 AM

I miss my old setup back in the 70s. I'd record straight from the turntable (a no-frills AR) to a cassette deck, which allowed me to pause on a downbeat, wait out the long, artless drum solo then pick back up right on the beat for a seamless edit. I trimmed ten minutes of drumming from the infamous "Live In The Studio" album from Lee Michaels.

And I could fade a song out early (whenever the band decided to repeat the chorus 57 times for the last minute of the song).

Knowed Out 08-07-2019 09:21 AM

Remove the guitar solo from "We're Not Gonna Take It." It sounds like the toy guitar you give the child of people you don't like.

Guest-starring: Id! 08-08-2019 12:53 AM

Trying to remember the Ed Sheeran song (if someone can help me out, here) that could definitely use snippets mixed in from Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music.

Author Balk 08-08-2019 06:29 AM

I would take out the ending of two or three Chicago songs. An example is Hard to Say I'm Sorry. It's the part that has "When we get there gonna jump in the air". They do something similar in other songs.

JKellyMap 08-09-2019 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowed Out (Post 21792578)
Remove the guitar solo from "We're Not Gonna Take It." It sounds like the toy guitar you give the child of people you don't like.

Huh? Oh, Twisted Sister! I was thinking The Who (Woodstock anniversary and all that.)

Anyway...my 8-year-old son observed this morning that Led Zeppelin’s “Rain Song” could do without that verse with no words, just bad keyboards-sounding-like-strings from John Paul Jones.

hogarth 08-10-2019 12:14 AM

I would go to the soundtrack of Grand Theft Auto 5 and replace "Hollywood" with "Vinewood" and "California" with "San Andreas" in all of the songs.