Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Today I'm making... (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=880205)

QuickSilver 08-10-2019 11:43 AM

Today I'm making...

At my wife's request, Jim Lahey's Focaccia (the one with the potato puree).

Once I set the dough to rise for 2-3 hours, I'm going to make a liquor store run. I'm low on vermouth and Campari for the last of the season negronis.

flaming yawn 08-11-2019 08:05 AM

jerky

I've been making beef jerky for low carb snack. Gotta make it up to my brothers to get some venison from his freezer to make deer jerky. (made salmon jerky and ended up with expensive dog and cat treats)

turner 08-11-2019 09:05 AM

I bought two pork butts and made bratwurst, italian and breakfast sausage, then I took the italian sausage, some ground beef and ground pork for meatballs, as well as the bones from the butts and made a big batch of "Sunday gravy" (spaghetti sauce) that I'll vacuum freeze today.

I have been moving my son across country and eating in restaurants all week, so I needed to cook.

Paintcharge 08-11-2019 10:26 AM

I'm doing ribs. Brined them overnight in a salt water/IPA mixture. Right now they're in the fridge with a dry rub- salt, b.sugar, cumin, chili, paprika, and fresh ginger. Gonna make a hoisin based sauce.

And corn on the cob.

TheMightyAtlas 08-11-2019 10:46 AM

Blueberry pie with just picked blueberries. Topped with ice cream from the local dairy farm.

Bayaker 08-11-2019 11:13 AM

I'm going old-school today - fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, and okra & tomatoes.

The chicken is soaking in buttermilk with garlic and cayenne, the okra & tomatoes are simmering with with tarragon and onions and thickening nicely, the corn is shucked and rinsed.

All mt SO has to do is peel the potatoes.

We'll eat watermelon in the back yard for dessert.

terentii 08-11-2019 11:28 AM

Fish and chips for lunch, and maybe bangers and mash for dinner. With mushy peas and onion gravy.

Athena 08-11-2019 11:35 AM

I made Green Shakshuka for breakfast. I'm not sure what makes it "shakshuka" other than it's eggs baked in something, but it was good. I used swiss chard out of the garden and some turnip greens I had lying about.

Tonight, it'll be something with chanterelles, because the very-kind mushroom dealer at my local farmer's market gave me a 2-for-1 deal and I ended up with a pound of them. Probably just pasta or something similarly simple to highlight the shrooms themselves. Unless I think of something else between now and then.

longhair75 08-11-2019 11:55 AM

It is just my wife and I for dinner tonight. I have two beautiful 12oz ribeyes that have been dry aged for 30 days. I made some potato salad earlier, and I plan to grill the ribeyes over charcoal with some apple wood chunks. I have a 2015 Pinot Noir from the Wild Horse winery that will pair nicely with this.

Aspenglow 08-11-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMightyAtlas (Post 21800052)
Blueberry pie with just picked blueberries. Topped with ice cream from the local dairy farm.

I made blueberry pie last weekend. This weekend it's fresh peach pie with the first local peaches of the year, also with ice cream from the local dairy farm. I wait for this all year!

Beckdawrek 08-11-2019 12:29 PM

God, it was gonna be ramen. Clearly, I need to try harder. But, Son-of-a-wrek called he's grilling steaks. I'm sure there will be potatoes and some salad. I'm donating the fresh Tomatoes and cukes from my garden.

jnglmassiv 08-11-2019 04:19 PM

Please make a minimal attempt at using descriptive thread titles.

QuickSilver 08-11-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnglmassiv (Post 21800443)
Please make a minimal attempt at using descriptive thread titles.

I believe I did just that. May I introduce you to the hover feature?

Just to avoid hard feelings, I offer you my sincere apologies for having wasted so much of your important internet browsing time.