Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The Hofstadter Insufficiency (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=880233)

Enola Straight 08-10-2019 09:35 PM

The Hofstadter Insufficiency
 
aka, the one where Howard and Raj compares Janine's failed marriage to infidelic penguins.

Is thestanding guy in back, with the spectacles, in fact Andrew Wiles, solver of Fermat's Last Theory?

Andy L 08-10-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enola Straight (Post 21799437)
aka, the one where Howard and Raj compares Janine's failed marriage to infidelic penguins.

Is thestanding guy in back, with the spectacles, in fact Andrew Wiles, solver of Fermat's Last Theory?

Andrew Wiles IMDB page only lists two roles - and both of them are "as himself" in things that are not the Big Bang Theory

Alpha Twit 08-10-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy L (Post 21799449)
Andrew Wiles IMDB page only lists two roles - and both of them are "as himself" in things that are not the Big Bang Theory

Which isn't relevant when you're talking about extras with non-speaking parts. I have no clue if that is Andrew Wiles or not but if he appeared as an extra, the fact that IMDB doesn't list him proves nothing.

ETA - also, forum change?

Andy L 08-10-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha Twit (Post 21799480)
Which isn't relevant when you're talking about extras with non-speaking parts. I have no clue if that is Andrew Wiles or not but if he appeared as an extra, the fact that IMDB doesn't list him proves nothing.

ETA - also, forum change?

I've seen some people listed as "uncredited" in IMDB and thought they were non-speaking extras. Sorry about the misunderstanding. But I'm not sure why Andrew Wiles would be in a random episode of BBT as a non-speaking extra. He is a famous guy (for the kind of people the characters in the BBT are supposed to be) - if the show got him as an extra, why wouldn't they make a moderately big deal about it?

Can the OP link to an image showing the guy he thinks is Wiles?

Alpha Twit 08-10-2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy L (Post 21799483)
Can the OP link to an image showing the guy he thinks is Wiles?

I believe this is the scene in question. Advance to 0:24, I suspect the OP is asking about the tall man standing by the door and holding a beer bottle.

Lamoral 08-10-2019 10:36 PM

Sounds like it should be on a triple bill with The Eiger Sanction and The Osterman Weekend.

Bone 08-10-2019 11:50 PM

Moderating
 
Moved from Elections to Cafe Society.

[/moderating]

Dewey Finn 08-11-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy L (Post 21799483)
I've seen some people listed as "uncredited" in IMDB and thought they were non-speaking extras. Sorry about the misunderstanding. But I'm not sure why Andrew Wiles would be in a random episode of BBT as a non-speaking extra. He is a famous guy (for the kind of people the characters in the BBT are supposed to be) - if the show got him as an extra, why wouldn't they make a moderately big deal about it?

On the other hand, that would be a neat Easter egg; to have someone in the background that only a true nerd would recognize.

ftg 08-11-2019 08:15 AM

Here's the real Andrew Wiles. Not even close. The effects of several decades difference in aging is obvious.

There's one actor I've seen in the background a couple times on TBBT that does respectable roles in movies and TV shows. But in these cases he has no lines, credits and not even an IMdB "uncredited" listing.

They way shows credit people is odd. Take "The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification". Woz is shown at a table with a woman. He speaks to her at one point ("Nerds."). Yet she is uncredited. Even IMdB didn't list her for a good while. She's Janet Hill, married to Woz since 2008. Hardly a non-person.

Enola Straight 08-11-2019 06:58 PM

The one and only time i remember seeing Andrew Wiles was 20 years ago on NOVA ep "The Proof"
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/proof/wiles.html


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.