Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Take a sip from a mug. See that little drop? What is that? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=880259)

brujaja 08-11-2019 03:22 PM

Take a sip from a mug. See that little drop? What is that?

I hate to do this to you all, but I have to know.

Okay, so I have a mug of coffee. Nice and hot and delicious. I take a sip of the coffee. When I take my lips away from the mug, there is a little drop of coffee on the outside rim of the mug. No matter how I contort my lips during or after the sip, I cannot take a sip of coffee without leaving that little drop.

It is driving me crazy. Why is this? Am I doing it wrong? Does it happen to you? Would it happen if the mug were square?

snfaulkner 08-11-2019 03:31 PM

I feel like there should be a snigglet for this...

brujaja 08-11-2019 03:41 PM

Having looked up "snigglet," I must agree. I was hoping to get a whole swath of Dopers looking at their coffee cups, going crazy about that little droplet.

It could happen. Somebody on here once got thousands of people to see if their wedding ring would fit up their nose. :D

Napier 08-11-2019 04:24 PM

Easy, easy. All you have to do is wipe upwards and over the edge of the cup with your lower lip during the disengagement sequence. Completely fixes it.

Others may laugh, but down deep inside they're just pretending that drop doesn't eat at them.

DSeid 08-11-2019 04:31 PM

My first thoughts have to do with the viscosity and surface tension, but then I recalled the bit about why coffee spills form rings - the coffee ring effect - and wonder if has something to do with coffee doing this in particular (if it does). That effect is due to coffee containing spherical particles and how they pack.

Chronos 08-11-2019 05:02 PM

It happens with tea, too.

Chefguy 08-11-2019 05:13 PM

If you find out the answer to that, perhaps someone can tell me why, when you stir the milk and/or sugar into your hot drink and tap the spoon on the rim of the mug, the sound it makes goes up the scale as you tap.

brujaja 08-11-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSeid (Post 21800469)
My first thoughts have to do with the viscosity and surface tension, but then I recalled the bit about why coffee spills form rings - the coffee ring effect - and wonder if has something to do with coffee doing this in particular (if it does). That effect is due to coffee containing spherical particles and how they pack.

No s**t? That is amazing! I thought maybe it had to do with mugs being (mostly) inherently round. I am frankly impressed that there is a scientific answer for this. Thank you!

doesn't help stop it though. dammit! hahaha

Acsenray 08-11-2019 05:16 PM

My Indian relatives all tout their ability to drink from glasses and cups without letting their lips touch the glass. They do wo with water bottles too. I suppose that would avoid the droplet.

brujaja 08-11-2019 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguy (Post 21800526)
If you find out the answer to that, perhaps someone can tell me why, when you stir the milk and/or sugar into your hot drink and tap the spoon on the rim of the mug, the sound it makes goes up the scale as you tap.

Perhaps, as the liquid is forced by tapping to leave the spoon, it changes the tone the spoon makes in tapping? (i.e., less deadening)

brujaja 08-11-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acsenray (Post 21800531)
My Indian relatives all tout their ability to drink from glasses and cups without letting their lips touch the glass. They do wo with water bottles too. I suppose that would avoid the droplet.

That is legendary. :)

Folly 08-11-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguy (Post 21800526)

Sounds like a variation of the hot chocolate effect.

Acsenray 08-11-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brujaja (Post 21800538)
That is legendary. :)

To be clear, their method is to tip the head back and pour the liquid into the mouth, instead of sipping from the glass or bottle.

brujaja 08-11-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Folly (Post 21800691)
Sounds like a variation of the hot chocolate effect.

Whoa ... how did you even know about that? I mean, I've noticed it too subconsciously and accepted it as representing a natural aspect of physics or fluid dynamics or whatever. But I never would have suspected that it is a named phenomenon with its own wikipedia page.

Well done!

Folly 08-11-2019 09:15 PM

Whenever I have random or esoteric knowledge where I'm not sure of the provenance, chances are I read it on the straightdope at some time.

The master speaks.

Sorry, Chefguy, looks like you've asked it before.

swampspruce 08-12-2019 09:07 AM

So we need Rich Hall to give us a sniglet for the elusive drop then. Seeing as I misplaced his email again (as if...) I propose either miplet or lipdrip. FWIW, my favourite sniglet of all time has to be Essoasso, or the person that cuts through a gas station to avoid a red light.

Chefguy 08-12-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Folly (Post 21800835)
Whenever I have random or esoteric knowledge where I'm not sure of the provenance, chances are I read it on the straightdope at some time.

The master speaks.

Sorry, Chefguy, looks like you've asked it before.

:smack: And got the same answer. :smack:

Patch 08-13-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acsenray (Post 21800747)
To be clear, their method is to tip the head back and pour the liquid into the mouth, instead of sipping from the glass or bottle.

I prefer a straw. :D

kayaker 08-13-2019 10:18 AM

It seems to me that attending to this droplet would be the responsibility of your valet or "gentleman's gentleman". Following a sip, he should discreetly wipe the cup.

Patch 08-13-2019 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 21803562)
It seems to me that attending to this droplet would be the responsibility of your valet or "gentleman's gentleman". Following a sip, he should discreetly wipe the cup.

So... a "two men, one cup," kind of thing.

naita 08-14-2019 07:58 AM

Just make sure that your lips are touching the top of the rim from the start of the sip until the end of it. This might require you to lean over the cup at the start and end and drink like a deranged pigeon with lips, but it will prevent drops on the outside of the rim.

DSeid 08-15-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brujaja (Post 21800530)
No s**t? That is amazing! I thought maybe it had to do with mugs being (mostly) inherently round. I am frankly impressed that there is a scientific answer for this. Thank you!

doesn't help stop it though. dammit! hahaha

Coffee gets a lot of nerd thought ...

Look at this of how a drop of cream hits hot coffee and why.

But this is the bit on coffee ring research that I thought might have something to do with this, if coffee indeed does this more than any other liquid.

Mr. Me 08-16-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snfaulkner (Post 21800396)
I feel like there should be a snigglet for this...

Dribblet?

swampspruce 08-16-2019 11:41 AM

Personally, when I add cream to coffee I let it stir via Brownian motion. It's cool to watch how it distributes itself, and is a model for the heat death of the Universe, so there's that.

I Love Me, Vol. I 08-16-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acsenray (Post 21800531)

That's a straw, man. :p

I Love Me, Vol. I 08-16-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me (Post 21808947)
Dribblet?

Liplet. Muglip. Mugdrop. Muglet. Rimdrop.