Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Stuck in a chair (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=857129)

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-19-2018 07:43 PM

Stuck in a chair

I've been sick, and after about 9 days in the hospital and 2 weeks in a rehabilitation facility undergoing therapy, late this morning I was sent home. Not because I was ready, but because my insurance was done, and they weren't paying any more. I really needed another week or so. As of this morning, I hadn't been able to stand under my own power since entering the hospital. When the ambulance brought me home today, I picked out a good chair for them to sit me in, and THAT one I was able to get out of. Just the right height for me i guess. However, earlier today I walked around too much and got tired. I had to sit in another chair, and now I'm stuck. It has wheels, so I wheeled it around the house some, but i've been unable to lift myself up out of it.

Now I'm sitting alone in an apartment, stuck in a chair and unable to get out of it. I've tried for hours. I've tried levering myself up on different pieces of furniture. I tried my walker. I have Crohn's disease, and that's becoming an issue now. Even if I get out of this chair, though, and get to a toilet, there's no way I can get back up off of THAT now. One way or another, I'm stuck in a chair or on a toilet.

I'm so tired of all of this.

Kelevra 06-19-2018 07:53 PM

Call 911. You need help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey P 06-19-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelevra (Post 21033533)
Call 911. You need help.

I agree with that. They get plenty of calls to help people up that can't get out of a chair, off a bed, out of the tub on their own, it's not at all uncommon.

ETA, if this is going to be a permanent or long term issue, look into having a company come out that can install things in your house to help you get around (grab bars etc). At the moment, you're in a chair, the problem is when you fall getting out of bed with no phone nearby and no one to find you between the bed and the wall.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-19-2018 08:11 PM

I was getting help, then they carted me back home. Kind of makes me think they're done helping me.

It should not be a long-term thing - I just keep coming down with problems while I attempt to get to the point in time when I can have my colectomy. Blood clots. Degenerative bone disease. Cellulitis.

Maybe this is better put in the Mundane forum. Sorry.

Sunny Daze 06-19-2018 08:12 PM

What is the consequence if you call 911 and they take you back to the hospital? Does the clock/calendar start over again for your insurance? If you can't stand on your own, I'm thinking you aren't safe to be on your own.

I think if it were me I would call 911 and have them take me back to the hospital. I would stay there until I could get up from a chair reliably and worry about negotiating a payment plan later. First priority is to make sure you don't die.

I'm sorry that you've been put into this position. Please send me a PM if you'd like me to call for help for you or there's anything else I can organize for you.

Dewey Finn 06-19-2018 08:31 PM

Whoever cleared you for release from the rehab facility ought to lose their job. There should have been a discussion about your living situation (Do you live alone? Are there stairs at your house/apartment?) and mobility. Because clearly you're not ready to be on your own, at least not without assistive technology installed. Perhaps it would be enough to have a visiting nurse or home health aide visit for a few hours each day. But all of this should have been discussed before they sent you home.

engineer_comp_geek 06-19-2018 08:47 PM

Moderator Action

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21033574)
Maybe this is better put in the Mundane forum. Sorry.

I'll move this there for you. Moving thread from GQ to MPSIMS.

Call 911. They'll help you. It doesn't matter if rehab sent you home. 911 will help you. Please call.

Joey P 06-19-2018 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Finn (Post 21033613)
Whoever cleared you for release from the rehab facility ought to lose their job. There should have been a discussion about your living situation

At this point a few calls may be in order. I'd think the first call would be to a GP or whoever referred the OP to the hospital. Call them, tell them what's going on. Calls to the insurance company as well as (maybe) even a hospitalist and/or patient advocacy group.
In other words, you need a few people to go to bat for you with the insurance company, explaining that you're not ambulatory and either need to be admitted until you are or you need a caretaker. Your GP will and/or people at the hospital will have the right phone numbers and contacts at the insurance company to help push this through.
You can also call the insurance company yourself. If this is through an employer ask them to have their insurance agent/broker give you a call so you can talk to them. At least in my experience, brokers are great at dealing with the insurance companies.

As for calling 911, I don't know what would happen if they took him back, hopefully it would be a new claim, treated separately from the other, but as I mentioned before, the EMTs can even help him back to his chair (and maybe on/off the toilet while they're there.

TL;DR, the insurance company needs to know that you can't get around your house on your own.
Call 911, let them help you.

Dewey Finn 06-19-2018 08:55 PM

The funny thing is between the ambulance ride back to the hospital and the re-admission, this whole thing is going to cost the insurance company much more than had they done things right in the first place.

aceplace57 06-19-2018 08:58 PM

There are rehab centers dedicated to helping people transition from hospital care and back home.

My mom had a fall at home and was very weak. She went to the ER. They decided she wasn't sick enough to be admitted to the hospital.

She went into a rehab facility for 5 weeks. She's home and doing much better.

The daily therapy made a big difference in getting her back up walking.

Dewey Finn 06-19-2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceplace57 (Post 21033656)
There are rehab centers dedicated to helping people transition from hospital care and back home.

The OP says that Face Intentionally Left Blank was in a residential rehab facility for two weeks. Clearly that wasn't enough time.

TriPolar 06-19-2018 09:08 PM

After you call 9/11 call a lawyer.

aceplace57 06-19-2018 09:11 PM

Sorry. I skimmed the OP. Saw hospital stay.

I agree calling 911 is required. The doctor can decide what's the next step.

Beckdawrek 06-19-2018 09:27 PM

Call, now.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-19-2018 09:30 PM

I have a home-care assessment tomorrow around 2pm. Seems like a long way away now.

No one I talked to at the rehab facility wanted to send me home or said I was ready, they were doing it solely because the insurance money ran out and they had to send me home. The local hospital sucks anyway, they left me in a dirty diaper for half a day the last time i was admitted. If i could just get my damned colectomy, it would help everything. I've been trying to taper off prednisone (40mg) but the past few weeks they had me at the full dose, and no one would address my Crohn's at all. They just patched my cellulitis and open wound.

mistymage 06-19-2018 09:42 PM

I'm so sorry our healthcare sucks so badly.

I hope tomorrow's assessment gets you into more care and the surgery you need.

Beckdawrek 06-19-2018 10:14 PM

I hope you make it til tomarrow. Have you no person to call?

SmartAleq 06-19-2018 10:42 PM

Not to be too much of a nag, but I note that you've not actually said you called 911 to have your immediate needs addressed. So, DID you call 911, have your toileting needs been met and are you out of the chair?

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-19-2018 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartAleq (Post 21033828)
Not to be too much of a nag, but I note that you've not actually said you called 911 to have your immediate needs addressed. So, DID you call 911, have your toileting needs been met and are you out of the chair?

No.

I just don't see the point in anything. I WAS getting help and they put me in this situation on purpose. What ELSE would happen if you send someone home alone who can't stand up? I've been to the local hospital where they alternately ignore you and treat you rough, and then berate you for crying out. I've tried for years to get better, but all I do is collect unexpected new maladies and fight over insurance. I feel like the living embodiment of Zeno's Paradox: always moving closer to getting better, but never actually getting there.

I dont know what would happen if i did dial 911. They already sent me home once today. Maybe I'll call my GP in the morning and see what she can do.

Sunny Daze 06-20-2018 12:10 AM

Does your GP have an on-call service? Can you call them tonight?

SmartAleq 06-20-2018 12:18 AM

Dude, if you call 911 you'll probably make the night of some bored firefighters who do the first response. They can help you get out of the chair and at least get you into bed where you have a chance at being comfortable, and might be able to contact an appropriate social service department on your behalf.

Just call, okay? Or if you can't bring yourself to 911 call the non-emergency number, let them decide the issue. Just call someone, please.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-20-2018 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartAleq (Post 21033945)
Dude, if you call 911 you'll probably make the night of some bored firefighters who do the first response. They can help you get out of the chair and at least get you into bed where you have a chance at being comfortable, and might be able to contact an appropriate social service department on your behalf.

Just call, okay? Or if you can't bring yourself to 911 call the non-emergency number, let them decide the issue. Just call someone, please.

Thanks for caring enough to respond to this. Thanks to everyone, for that matter.

Only 6 hours before my GP's office opens. I have a long relationship with her, and she's been a great help to me in teh past, as much as she can be. I'll call her and fill her in, maybe she can accelerate my admission if I call her before I call for an ambulance. I'll try to grab some sleep in the meantime.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-20-2018 07:42 AM

I called my GP, I called my home health care nurse (whom I haven't seen yet)

I called an ambulance.

TriPolar 06-20-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21034262)

I called an ambulance.

Don't forget the lawyer.

Grey 06-20-2018 08:16 AM

Then your federal and state representatives. It wont help your immediate issues (see above) but ultimately the healthcare system in your country needs to be fixed.

Joey P 06-20-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey (Post 21034333)
Then your federal and state representatives. It wont help your immediate issues (see above) but ultimately the healthcare system in your country needs to be fixed.

I'd still start with having the GP or hospital call the insurance company and request more rehab and/or an inpatient stay or letting OP stay at a rehab facility to ride this out. I'll also emphasize contacting the insurance broker as they'll know the insurance plan inside and out and may even be able to offer some more insight.
After than, at least in my state, the next call would be to the commissioner of insurance. They're government official that oversees unfair practices by insurance companies.

But if your insurance plan only allows a certain number of rehab visits, your doctor calling up and requesting more is probably the first thing to do. It may be as simple as that.

enipla 06-20-2018 09:50 AM

When my Wife got sick after an IronMan race in an unfamiliar town, I called 911.

They took her stats in the hotel room and calmed her down (she was hyperventilating, and I think a bit of heat exhaustion/lack of electrolytes).

Anyway, the cost was zero. Since she did not make a ride, we where not charged a thing.

JoeyP - You're EMS? Is this common not to be charged if you don't take the ride? (this was Boulder Colorado)

Iggy 06-20-2018 10:10 AM

For future reference, calling 9-1-1 does not mean you must go for an ambulance ride. I remember a call I took where a lady just needed help getting up from a chair. Since the police were closest and available they handled the matter. The officer told me it made her night and she would be glad to handle such calls any day.

So it's really not a burden to call 9-1-1, all the more so if you are medically fragile and home alone like the OP. Helping people is what 9-1-1 is there for.

Joey P 06-20-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enipla (Post 21034536)
JoeyP - You're EMS? Is this common not to be charged if you don't take the ride? (this was Boulder Colorado)

No, I'm not EMS. I don't know what you'd be billed for if they just come out and help you but don't take you anywhere.

Ionizer 06-20-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21034262)

I called an ambulance.

Thank you for this. It was the absolute right thing to do.

Please, please let us all know the outcome. I would have driven myself to you to assist/help if you are anywhere near me!

This insight may be of help (I'm retired from first-responder stuff/Med Imaging of every sort, Lab Tech, etc) : Generally, Physical Therapy is who writes-off a person's abilities to 'live alone' (not always, but Docs rely on such info more often than not, and also the Nursing notes). PT's are overwhelmigly honest for the most part, and be sure to emphasize your struggles/difficulties to them. Make certain prob's are 'charted' for Doc(s) to review/evaluate!

I recently spent about 4-ish months in hospital bed (and basically no memory of it except for last week or two) and the Doc kept saying how I was improving on the getting-around part. He was ready to let me go home until I asked if he reviewed all the PT input. He said "yes", but turns out PT was not charting my prob's. Just the day before he scheduled my discharge, I went to pick a piece of paper on floor, and discovered that my legs would not work to get me back up, so I sat down and could not get up even with all 4 limbs working as hard as they could. That was not charted, and Doc immediately got PT to test me out in his presence - I failed miserably despite trying my hardest (felt like an infant!). With that 'new' knowledge, I was kept longer. Insurance (BCBS-OK) had zero issue w/ that and I strengthened over next week or two to 'reliably' performing strenght tests and all. Look into specifics like that, as it just might be what got ya discharged earlier than should've been done.

Get well soon, I hope, FILB..

Sunny Daze 06-20-2018 11:15 AM

Thank you for letting us know that you called. I was worried about you! Keep us posted too, if you can. If there's anything we can do to help, let us know that too.

SmartAleq 06-20-2018 12:10 PM

Yes, thanks indeed, it's worrisome to know a bad situation is going on and nothing can be done about it. Hope you get the help you need to recover fully!

Leo Bloom 06-20-2018 03:18 PM

Ditto.

I used to Fall Down A Lot, and after a few months of it, in Grand Central Station, terrifically embarrassed, I asked someone to call 911, and just stayed on the damn floor. Absolutely. (Motor-cortex anomaly. Who knew?)

Helena330 06-20-2018 05:11 PM

I hope not hearing anything means that Face is getting the necessary care in a facility.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-20-2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ionizer (Post 21034677)
Thank you for this. It was the absolute right thing to do.

Please, please let us all know the outcome. I would have driven myself to you to assist/help if you are anywhere near me!

This insight may be of help (I'm retired from first-responder stuff/Med Imaging of every sort, Lab Tech, etc) : Generally, Physical Therapy is who writes-off a person's abilities to 'live alone' (not always, but Docs rely on such info more often than not, and also the Nursing notes). PT's are overwhelmigly honest for the most part, and be sure to emphasize your struggles/difficulties to them. Make certain prob's are 'charted' for Doc(s) to review/evaluate!

I recently spent about 4-ish months in hospital bed (and basically no memory of it except for last week or two) and the Doc kept saying how I was improving on the getting-around part. He was ready to let me go home until I asked if he reviewed all the PT input. He said "yes", but turns out PT was not charting my prob's. Just the day before he scheduled my discharge, I went to pick a piece of paper on floor, and discovered that my legs would not work to get me back up, so I sat down and could not get up even with all 4 limbs working as hard as they could. That was not charted, and Doc immediately got PT to test me out in his presence - I failed miserably despite trying my hardest (felt like an infant!). With that 'new' knowledge, I was kept longer. Insurance (BCBS-OK) had zero issue w/ that and I strengthened over next week or two to 'reliably' performing strenght tests and all. Look into specifics like that, as it just might be what got ya discharged earlier than should've been done.

Get well soon, I hope, FILB..

Wow. I do hope you're doing better.

Thanks to everyone for their help and concern.

I'm in the local hospital. While I'm here, one of the doctors wants an mri on my back, and a neuro scan of some sort to investigate why I lost so much leg strength in such a short time. Have to admit I didn't question it. I'm so used to badly swollen legs and other fun things that I didn't question the weakness. I'm already having back issues due to my prednisone, so that might come into play.

I'll be here until tomorrow, maybe longer if they need time for tests. After that, they'll find me a spot in a rehab facility. Think the insurance should cover me for another two weeks or so. That is RIGHT NOW'S take on things, we'll see what they're saying in five minutes.

So, I'm off the chair, in a bed, and at least that much in my life is better. Now to grow stronger.

As to everyone who advocates getting a lawyer... Perhaps you are right, but I can barely navigate my way through getting helped out of a dirty diaper. My mind is scrambled, I just want to be warm and safe and clean-ish while I get healed up.

Joey P 06-20-2018 11:38 PM

You have two weeks in rehab (inpatient?), so once you get to day 10 or so out of 15, if you think you're going to need it, have the rehab facility and your doctor start making calls to the insurance company. That'll give them a few days to play phone tag and cut through some red tape while you're still there instead of being right back where you started.
Those last few days would also be the time to have the rehab people do some type of evaluation so that it's ready to give to the insurance company if they need more convincing.

Also, I don't know what type of rehab you're doing, but if it's anything physical, they should be showing you how to get around your house. How to get out of a chair by yourself, how to get out of bed by yourself, how to pick something up off the ground by yourself (like a dropped cell phone). If you're not independent enough to not pose a threat to your own health, you're probably not ready to be home alone.

Sunny Daze 06-21-2018 12:13 AM

I'm glad you're in a safe place. I hope things continue to improve. Please continue to let us know how things are going.

Broomstick 06-21-2018 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Finn (Post 21033613)
Whoever cleared you for release from the rehab facility ought to lose their job. There should have been a discussion about your living situation (Do you live alone? Are there stairs at your house/apartment?) and mobility.

It has been my experience, after a decade of dealing with family members in poor health and/or dying, that that conversation almost never takes place. The powers that be don't want to hear it. They assume there is family/support in place, that said family will drop everything to care for the sick person. And the older and poorer the patient the less likely there is to be that conversation.

And while it's easy to say there should be home visits for assistance that often doesn't happen either. When my husband was dying I was basically expected to care for him 24/7 without respite (our insurance was very reluctant to admit him to hospice - I got the approval letter about a week after he died).

Since we entered the era of the Holy Cost Reduction this sort of thing is distressingly common.

LiliesOfTheField 06-21-2018 07:12 AM

A couple of general safety tips for you and for people you love

For everyone's general information, in most US communities, you can call 911 and request a "lift assist."

They send out firefighters who lift you off floor/chair and move you to where you need to be.

In most communities this is a free service. It's not for daily transfers but for the occasional whoops

Remember this also if you are a caretaker. It's usually unsafe for one person to lift another by themselves. You don't want to end up with two people on the floor.

Of course a lot of times if you can't get up, you may need additional care (as we have just seen) so if the fall was for an unknown reason, make sure you call medics, not lift assist.

Also, most communities have a free or low-cost service (often through the fire dept) that telephones you at the same time every day. If you don't pick up, they summon a person of your choosing or EMS.

Missy2U 06-21-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiliesOfTheField (Post 21036411)
For everyone's general information, in most US communities, you can call 911 and request a "lift assist."

They send out firefighters who lift you off floor/chair and move you to where you need to be.

In most communities this is a free service. It's not for daily transfers but for the occasional whoops

Remember this also if you are a caretaker. It's usually unsafe for one person to lift another by themselves. You don't want to end up with two people on the floor.

Of course a lot of times if you can't get up, you may need additional care (as we have just seen) so if the fall was for an unknown reason, make sure you call medics, not lift assist.

Also, most communities have a free or low-cost service (often through the fire dept) that telephones you at the same time every day. If you don't pick up, they summon a person of your choosing or EMS.

Above bolding mine

To add to this, when my MIL was sent home from rehab after her last hospital/rehab stay, we were able to get her a "life alert" type system for free through Catholic Charities as she was prone to falling, and was still quite weak when we got her home (no questions were asked AT ALL regarding anyone's "faith" or church affiliation). Checking with the social workers at the rehab facility would, imo, be worthwhile if only to get the name of resources in your area who can provide this type of free service.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-21-2018 10:44 PM

I'm sorry for not replying to everyone individually. Typing on these portable devices is not my strong suit. I really kind of hate using them, but it's what I have.

Went for mri's, today. I have two broken vertebrae. No reason for it they just broke because of all the prednisone I took.

They put a fentanyl patch on me and they expect me to do therapy. Doesn't seem smart. Two vertebrae already broke enough to hurt me and put enough pressure on my nerves to weaken me. Who knows what numbing me up and exercising me could lead to. Doesn't seem like anything but a 'hope for the best' plan, if you can call it a plan.

Gonna lose my dog now. No one will take care of her for me. I can't count the times I watched my sisters dog, or my stepsister's dog, but I need someone to watch my dog once, and I hear crickets. Fuck it, at this rate the dog will be better off with someone who isn't falling apart faster than they can put him back together.

Beckdawrek 06-21-2018 11:13 PM

I am truly sorry for you and your dog. That seems like kicking a guy when he's down. If you are worried about your care don't be afraid to speak up. Tell them your fears of more damage occuring. Speak out often and loud. Good luck.

Sunny Daze 06-22-2018 12:30 AM

Where are you located and what exactly do you need for your dog?

Delicious 06-22-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21038568)
Went for mri's, today. I have two broken vertebrae. No reason for it they just broke because of all the prednisone I took.

They put a fentanyl patch on me and they expect me to do therapy. Doesn't seem smart. Two vertebrae already broke enough to hurt me and put enough pressure on my nerves to weaken me. Who knows what numbing me up and exercising me could lead to. Doesn't seem like anything but a 'hope for the best' plan, if you can call it a plan.

Holy crap, sounds like you need better doctors and meds.

My brother's got Crohns, he injects HUMIRA every month or so and he's doing good, no unexplained broken vertebrae at least...I don't know if you're able to get that or if it would work for you but a quick look at prednisone makes it sound horrendous, there are a fair few other meds out there.

Also, depression is listed as an effect of prednisone and...I dunno, if I couldn't move from a chair and got to hospital finding I had a broken back, I'd probably use more exclamation points at least, make sure you're in your right mind before agreeing to any medical plans or just accepting the first option the doctor gives you.

Broomstick 06-22-2018 03:59 PM

Prednisone is great for short term use, but over the long haul it has terrible side effects - have you been on it for a long time?

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-22-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broomstick (Post 21040146)
Prednisone is great for short term use, but over the long haul it has terrible side effects - have you been on it for a long time?

Again, can't reply to everyone. Thanks to those who offered to help help out with my dog

I was on it far too long. It's was cheap and effective when I had no insurance. I'm supposed to be tapering off, but 40mg isn't calming my colon, and my new GI at Vanderbilt hasn't prescribed anything else. I'm supposed to taper off in anticipation of my upcoming colectomy, but instead my flare continues and I'm collecting new illnesses

Looks like I'm going into longterm rehab in the next few days. Had to sign my life away, I have to give them a month's notice before checking out, they're taking my monthly SSI check... I feel like I'm being involuntarily committed. I've never been in a situation where I couldn't go home if I wanted.

My sister freaked out a little bit on me yesterday, she apologized today a d is working to find a place for my dog. Kind of a bad (terrifying) time for a freak out from my perspective, but it happened. Dunno how the dog situation will work when i'll be gone a couple months, but we'll see.

I don't think the hospital has been giving me gluten-free food, as I'm bleeding worse now and my colon is really cramping. They're working on it though, and at least they stopped with all the gravy...

Beckdawrek 06-22-2018 07:19 PM

WTF? They didnt know you needed gluten free? I am t1 diabetic, that would be like them not administering my insulin. I wouldn't last a week. Holy-moley!

EmilyG 06-22-2018 07:22 PM

I feel so bad for you, Face. I wish I had helpful advice, but all I can really say is, I hope things will go better for you in the next little while.

StGermain 06-22-2018 08:42 PM

What kind of dog do you have?

StG

Dobbs 06-22-2018 09:39 PM

Where is dog?

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-22-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21040469)
WTF? They didnt know you needed gluten free? I am t1 diabetic, that would be like them not administering my insulin. I wouldn't last a week. Holy-moley!

Thanks, but I would not compare the seriousness of my issue with yours. NUTRITION & DIETARY looked like idiots when they couldn't tell what gluten is. Everyone has smartphones, and Google will buy you. A clue in seconds.

Doggo is getting a few visits a day from stepsister and sister at my house now thanks to sister's new attitude. We got her at the pound, she looked a mess, like a mixed breed hairless. We got some food into her, and a few months later, she turned into anAmerican Eskimo dog, about 20 lbs. Google it, she looks like every stock picture. Cute.

We think she was used in a puppy mill, she's badly socialized--timid and aggressive out of fear. She has trouble with children and other pets. Mom's had dementia and I've had 8operations in the past 4 years, so I haven had the time or strength to work with her like I should. Have long hoped that, when the day came that I couldn't care for Mom safely anymore and she went to a home, and/or I got a little better, Fuzz and I would have more time together and I'd be able to work with her more, rather than just keep her safe. Just always saw she and I taking this next step together.

Doctor wants me to do PT on broken vertebrae. Hope that works out better than it sounds like it will, because I will do the work.

Still disturbed and weirded out by this arrangement I'm entering into wrt the rehab center... But I have no choice, I can't go home yet.

Beckdawrek 06-22-2018 11:39 PM

IDK I think if you are bleeding and cramping with broken vertebrae it's fairly serious. You are obviously trying to get your colon under control if you are seeking surgery for it. My diabetes is under control, but I could see it going south if my dietary and insulin needs aren't met. You are in a crisis IMO. I hope it gets better soon. Keep on telling them what you need, someone is sure to hear. Keep us posted.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-23-2018 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21040750)
IDK I think if you are bleeding and cramping with broken vertebrae it's fairly serious. You are obviously trying to get your colon under control if you are seeking surgery for it. My diabetes is under control, but I could see it going south if my dietary and insulin needs aren't met. You are in a crisis IMO. I hope it gets better soon. Keep on telling them what you need, someone is sure to hear. Keep us posted.

Yeah, the colon, and the prednisone are causing collateral damage--swollen, weeping legs, blood clots, broken vertebrae, cellulitis, and in the past, pulmonary embolism. Am very anxious to get my colectomy, to get rid of the diseased tissue. Gonna try to get them to talk about this and how well address it asap. If I have to stay in rehab longer than I need to fix my vertebrae and cellulitis wound, vthen maybe we can get some traction on the colectomy. Here's hoping anyway.

Broomstick 06-23-2018 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21040411)
Again, can't reply to everyone. ... [snip]....

You need to get a lawyer, someone to both advocate for you and possibly to sue for malpractice and/or go after the insurance company because it doesn't sound like you are being properly cared for.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-23-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broomstick (Post 21040896)
You need to get a lawyer, someone to both advocate for you and possibly to sue for malpractice and/or go after the insurance company because it doesn't sound like you are being properly cared for.

OK. Turns out that woman that woke me up from a sound sleep early in my rehab stay, and was talking about some strange thing where they'd take my monthly SSI check, I had to stay for a lengthy and non-health-related amount of time, and couldn't sign myself out with less than a months notice without a penalty of losing my insurance and my SSI, was actually telling me about my only insurance option to stay. It took half a day of thinking on it to remember that it even happened. Essentially I wouldn't be in rehab, I'd be in a nursing home. That didn't sound any better asleep than it does now, but I was less able to grasp the significance of the conversation.

Considering that insurance was the only thing she and I discussed for the next ten days or so, she kinda soft-pedaled it. For example, as we closed on the day where I had to go home, you'd think she might say something like, "Remember that option you didn't like when you were snoring? Well, it's looking like your only option, maybe we should revisit that."

Dunno where that leaves me legally.

I'm still in the hospital. The fentanyl patch they gave me seems to have let me use my legs better, despite my deep misgivings. It's the weekend so I don't have PT, but my exercises are so much easier that I wonder if I can't stand on my oen now. If so, I'll be in the damned nursing home for a month or more while I could be at home. Maybe I could swing a cheap used laptop if my SSI backpay comes through, so I can kill time better and play some old valve games with my friends occasionally.

Gonna consult with a back guy on Monday to see if I need some "cement" injected to reinforce my broken vertebrae. After that, either they'll inject me and I'll recover a couple days, or they won't and it's off to nursing home jail. Depending on what shakes out with my would-be colectomy, I might be there, or in the hospital, on-and-off for the next three months.

Beckdawrek 06-24-2018 01:05 AM

Don't sign anything til you speak to an attorney. At least the hospitals legal service or a legit social worker.

Broomstick 06-24-2018 02:43 AM

Yes. You need a lawyer NOW. Make sure it's one with your interests in mind and not anyone else's.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-24-2018 06:14 PM

https://www.tn.gov/tenncare/long-ter...s/choices.html

I don't think there is anything questionable going on, just weird and shitty insurance. I wonder if someone who owned a lot of nursing homes didn't make a nice contribution to someones campaign.

nearwildheaven 06-24-2018 06:22 PM

You're on TennCare? I've never heard anything good about them.

:mad:

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-24-2018 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nearwildheaven (Post 21043384)
You're on TennCare? I've never heard anything good about them.

:mad:

I'm not going to break your streak now.

PastTense 06-25-2018 10:01 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

The OP says he needs a laptop if he goes to the nursing home. It is quite possible that a Doper has an extra one laying around (who upgraded but still keeps the old one around because it still works OK) who would be happy to donate it to the OP--but is probably not reading this thread. Perhaps someone can contact the mods about starting a request thread for this.

Likewise if he goes to a nursing home for a few months and the nursing home takes the vast bulk of his SSI check, he probably still will have significant expenses for his home even though he is not living in it--utilities, rent, whatever. Straight Dope does have occasional donation threads for long time members--and while this does not raise a lot of money--$1,000 or so--it might help at some point.

Dewey Finn 06-25-2018 10:14 AM

Do the AARP offer a service where they can offer advice about nursing home care, rehab facilities and so on? Because I know from hearing my parents go through this whole thing, it's really complicated.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-25-2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Finn (Post 21044402)
Do the AARP offer a service where they can offer advice about nursing home care, rehab facilities and so on? Because I know from hearing my parents go through this whole thing, it's really complicated.

I haven't investigated aarp. Do I qualify at age 52? I'll have to Google it

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-25-2018 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastTense (Post 21044376)

The OP says he needs a laptop if he goes to the nursing home. It is quite possible that a Doper has an extra one laying around (who upgraded but still keeps the old one around because it still works OK) who would be happy to donate it to the OP--but is probably not reading this thread. Perhaps someone can contact the mods about starting a request thread for this.

Likewise if he goes to a nursing home for a few months and the nursing home takes the vast bulk of his SSI check, he probably still will have significant expenses for his home even though he is not living in it--utilities, rent, whatever. Straight Dope does have occasional donation threads for long time members--and while this does not raise a lot of money--$1,000 or so--it might help at some point.

While I appreciate the help and concern here more than you'll know, I'm glad to have a solid reason to pass on the donations - it would ruin my SSI and TennCare. It's a needs based thing, and if I get too much other money, VI have to report it, they subtract it from what I get, maybe take away benefits entirely etc. Thank you, but probably not a good idea, and I didn't even have to get into my own feelings on accepting donations, which is simply that I'd rather not if I'm not outdoors and/or hungry.

At the begin NG of the month, I might be able to entertain the idea of a laptop. A decent deal on something that surfs well, and it would be wonderful if it played old games like Left for Dead, Portal 2, etc. Maybe I can play a little here and there with my friends across the country. If anyone has. A lead on a used laptop at a good price, that would be helpful.

Thanks again. I know my replies are short, but hopefully not terse. I really never did get the hang of these portable gadgets I need a real-ish keyboard.

nearwildheaven 06-25-2018 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21045789)
I haven't investigated aarp. Do I qualify at age 52? I'll have to Google it

AARP is mostly a lobbying group that people join to get travel discounts. :rolleyes:

However, anyone 50 and over can join; IIRC it's something like $15 a year, and you also get a free tote bag.

Snowboarder Bo 06-26-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nearwildheaven (Post 21045833)
AARP is mostly a lobbying group that people join to get travel discounts. :rolleyes:

However, anyone 50 and over can join; IIRC it's something like $15 a year, and you also get a free tote bag.

The tote bag sucks but the magazine and the newsletter thingy are pretty cool.

Dewey Finn 06-26-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nearwildheaven (Post 21045833)

My brother is such a cheapskate that he joined AARP, AAA and the NRA, just for the discounts.

PastTense 07-13-2018 04:12 PM

Face Intentionally Left Blank:

An update on how you are doing?

Face Intentionally Left Blank 07-14-2018 02:11 AM

Blood clots in both legs have them swollen up. They switched me to Eliquis from Xeralto. My back surgery, which will repair my broken vertebrae and allow me to walk again, has been delayed until the blood clots dissolve sufficiently. I have no timetable on that, no ballpark. Five or six weeks later, the wound on top of my foot is about the same size, but the doctor is pleased with how it looks. Last week, I was in "SKILLED CARE" and somy insurance would not pay for a skin graft. In the next week or so, my insurance should be changing me over. TO LONG-TERM care, so I should be able to get the graft. With the change to long term care, I'll be giving up my SSI monthly check, so I'll be paying for my apt out of the little bit of money I was able to save. Hopefully that won't be long, or I'll lose the apartment, and I don't know where I'll go.

Just lying in a nursing home bed, watching the weeks go by as my life disappears and I'm powerless to do a damned thing. I don't even have physical therapy now because of the clots.

Thanks for asking, Past Tense. Trying not to get too down about it. It's hard, though.

davidm 07-14-2018 03:21 AM

Ohmigod. How did I not see this thread before? I can identify with this. The difference for me was that my insurance ran out at a time when I was more or less ready to go home, and I was able to move in with my brother.

I've been slowly and steadily improving since then.

I can identify with your bowel problems. I was on TPN (total parenteral nutrition, a high tech version of IV feeding) for months, thus avoiding use of my bowel and giving it a chance to heal. Have they suggested some form of IV feeding for you?

Broomstick 07-14-2018 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21045808)
While I appreciate the help and concern here more than you'll know, I'm glad to have a solid reason to pass on the donations - it would ruin my SSI and TennCare. It's a needs based thing, and if I get too much other money, VI have to report it, they subtract it from what I get, maybe take away benefits entirely etc. Thank you, but probably not a good idea, and I didn't even have to get into my own feelings on accepting donations, which is simply that I'd rather not if I'm not outdoors and/or hungry.

Two things:

Pride is all very well, but if it leads to you being "outdoors and/or hungry" tell it to get off the bus. Personally, I'd rather prevent people losing everything than pick up the pieces after homelessness happens. Keep that in mind.

Second - it may be different in Tennessee, but when I was on public aid in Indiana while receiving money directly could screw up my benefits receiving help didn't necessarily do that. So, for example, giving me money directly to pay the rent could screw me up, but someone else paying my rent for a month wouldn't, so long as the money passed from the good Samaritan to the landlord and I never touched it. Rather like giving you money directly for a laptop could be a problem, but giving you an actual laptop as a gift won't.

Food for thought.

PastTense 07-14-2018 08:48 AM

Are you just using your phone for internet access? If so I think there is a good chance there is a Doper who has an older model laptop lying around who would be glad to donate it.

Perhaps donations could be sent to your sister or a friend.

Filbert 07-14-2018 09:22 AM

Could any trusted Doper organise buying a laptop if no-one's got one lying around?

I'd happy chip in something and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I don't know how SSI rules work- wrong country- but I can't imagine gifts of 'stuff' screwing up benefits.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 07-14-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broomstick (Post 21084678)
Two things:

Pride is all very well, but if it leads to you being "outdoors and/or hungry" tell it to get off the bus. Personally, I'd rather prevent people losing everything than pick up the pieces after homelessness happens. Keep that in mind.

Second - it may be different in Tennessee, but when I was on public aid in Indiana while receiving money directly could screw up my benefits receiving help didn't necessarily do that. So, for example, giving me money directly to pay the rent could screw me up, but someone else paying my rent for a month wouldn't, so long as the money passed from the good Samaritan to the landlord and I never touched it. Rather like giving you money directly for a laptop could be a problem, but giving you an actual laptop as a gift won't.

Food for thought.

Thanks. Isuppose things could be funneled differently to appease the rules. If this drags on to where things look dicey on the housing front, I;ll keep that in mind and hope it doesn't become necessary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastTense (Post 21084847)
Are you just using your phone for internet access? If so I think there is a good chance there is a Doper who has an older model laptop lying around who would be glad to donate it.

I've got a decent Lenovo Android tablet I've been using. Had some problems with it being slow and problematic for surfing, butI got some help with it and it seems to be a lot more responsive now. Geez, with my eyesight I'd hate to use my phone with that 4" screen on a heavy basis. I don't know how ppl do that.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 07-14-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidm (Post 21084618)
Ohmigod. How did I not see this thread before? I can identify with this. The difference for me was that my insurance ran out at a time when I was more or less ready to go home, and I was able to move in with my brother.

I've been slowly and steadily improving since then.

I can identify with your bowel problems. I was on TPN (total parenteral nutrition, a high tech version of IV feeding) for months, thus avoiding use of my bowel and giving it a chance to heal. Have they suggested some form of IV feeding for you?

I've heard of them doing the TPN more frequently recently. A couple decades back, you almost had to be in a coma to get that because of infection and other problems - they must have made some strides in that area. Glad to hear it helped and your innerds are doing better.

I've had Crohn's colitis for going on 18 years, and for 13 of those years I had no insurance. Mostly took prednisone, as I could go to clinics and get a cheap script. That's why my back is messed up now - from the prednisone. My colon's shot already, and my surgeon recommended a colectomy in January. Ever since then, I've just been trying to get to that surgery. Actually, he recommended a colectomy and proctectomy, but given my health since then, I don't think I'll get the proctectomy. I REALLY wanted it asap,as I was afraid if I didn't get it quickly, I wouldn't handle that surgery well. Looks like that's come to pass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filbert (Post 21084900)
Could any trusted Doper organise buying a laptop if no-one's got one lying around?

I'd happy chip in something and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I don't know how SSI rules work- wrong country- but I can't imagine gifts of 'stuff' screwing up benefits.

I'm doing OK with the tablet, fortunately. Glad I picked one up when I could a little while back - it's been so very useful. Upthread, I thought about picking up a used laptop for convenience and to have something to do with friends while I'm sitting here,but I can do almost everything I need with this.

Beckdawrek 07-14-2018 12:14 PM

Have you made arrangements for your dog?

Face Intentionally Left Blank 07-14-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21085148)
Have you made arrangements for your dog?

The Humane society, I'm afraid. There was nothing else I could do from here. My nephew - whom I hardly ever see, honestly - even made an effort. Came over and tried to get her to come with him, but she shrank away like she'd been beaten. She had a bad start to life, and I'm afraid I wasn't able to do much but keep her safe and take her out to go to the bathroom, etc. Between my health, and worse, dealing with my mother, I just didn't have the time/strength/ability to work with/rehab her properly. I'd held out hope for when I got better and/or Mom had to go into assisted care, but we never had that time to ourselves.

She's a beautiful dog - American Eskimo. The staff told my sister that ppl were interested in her before she even finished dropping her off. Hopefully her good looks will buy her a chance with someone who can spend more time with her and deal with her fear. She can get bitey with strangers if pushed - not in an aggressive way, but in a defensive manner when not left alone. We'd got past that very quickly, so hopefully others will do the same.

PastTense 08-11-2018 09:58 AM

davidm 08-11-2018 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastTense (Post 21141034)

I share your concern. It's been nearly a month. Has he posted anywhere else on the SDMB more recently?

Maserschmidt 08-11-2018 09:16 PM

He posted a few days ago.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...9&postcount=18

davidm 08-11-2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maserschmidt (Post 21141895)

That's good to know.

PastTense 08-19-2018 11:26 PM

He just posted today:
Quote:

Been stuck in bed for three months, and my poor tablet has been running nearly 24/7 all that time. Playing music, rain/train videos on YouTube to help me sleep, surfing like a fiend, watching movies on friend's Plex servers, etc. Might watch some Netflix soon...anything to carry my mind away from this room.

So you see this thing has been working overtime, and according to the doctors I've got a few more months before I rejoin society at large...
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=860699

Face Intentionally Left Blank 08-24-2018 02:48 PM

Sorry, didn't see that this thread was still active.

Well, I lost about 25 lbs in one week,and the swelling went down in my legs, so I figure the blood clots are clearing up. Neither the facility doctor nor the nurse practitioner have been in to assess the dvts. I talked to the NP about 3-4 weeks back. She opined that I should get used to living with the broken vertebrae, LIKE THE OTHER RESIDENTS HERE AT THE NURSING HOME.

I.AM.NOT.A.RESIDENT. I am a PATIENT, one who was supposed to be operated on before I got blood clots on your watch. When I am healthy enough, I will be consulting with a back surgeon again to repair what he can and stop the bone from pressing on my leg nerves that prevents me from standing. These ppl do not seem to care about me getting better and getting out of here.

I have an alarm set on my tablet, beeps every ten minutes to remind me to move my legs. MUST avoid more blood clots. Vital. I think if I cannot stay healthy enough to get my surgeries, it could lead to a very short life in a nursing home, instead of going home as an independent person.

Tuesday will mark 12weeks in a hospital bed. Can't walk, back spasming, colon flaring and cramping, powerless to do anything. Trying not to go insane. Not sure if succeeding. REALLY not sure.

Some good news. I had an appointment last week with a surgeon. I'll be having a colectomy at the beginning of October. About five weeks away., so I have to stay sane until the surgery. I'll have about a week or two after that where I'll be drugged up, then in pain, then dealing with recovering from the surgery and learning about my stoma, then I'll be recovered enough to start going insane again. When I'm sufficiently healed from the colectomy, it's on to back surgery for my broken vertebrae.

Don't have a surgeon lined up for that yet. Don't want to have it done locally, gonna try to have it done at Vanderbilt, like my colectomy.

So, I guess that pretty much brings things up to date. Oh, Mom! My sister got her set up at a pretty nice assisted living facility, where she failed to get along. She was loud, swore too much, hit people and made one faculty member quit. She's now undergoing psychiatric observation. Now that I'm not around, and she is in different surroundings, her dementia is taking a front seat.

Thanks for the interest and concern

Beckdawrek 08-24-2018 03:08 PM

Man oh man! It sounds horrible in that place. Keep telling yourself there is still hope. Good luck to you, keep checking in here. We care.

aruvqan 08-24-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastTense (Post 21044376)

I have an ancient laptop that was my brothers, probably 6 or 7 years old, I would be more than willing to pack it up and ship it if you like. I would need to make a banzai run to Caledonia NY from Canterbury CT between now and sunday at 930 am when I get my death pod removed [youngest goddaughter named my chemo infusion pump that ... got to love kids. ']

Face Intentionally Left Blank 08-24-2018 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aruvqan (Post 21167664)
I have an ancient laptop that was my brothers, probably 6 or 7 years old, I would be more than willing to pack it up and ship it if you like. I would need to make a banzai run to Caledonia NY from Canterbury CT between now and sunday at 930 am when I get my death pod removed [youngest goddaughter named my chemo infusion pump that ... got to love kids. ']

1. No one's YET told me what I need in a laptop to run Left for dead 2 and Portal 2. I'll be doing more with it, but those are the most demanding tasks.

B. You probably don't know what the cpu and gpu is in that laptop, so it might not do the job. We don't know.

3. I won't be party to sending ANYONE on such a banzai run, let alone someone with a Death Pod!! Us sick folk have got to stick together!

I appreciate the concerns and efforts here. I only wish that the nursing home put forth the same effort. Maybe I'd be home by now.

I can't eat wheat. It's a trigger for my Crohn's, makes me flare, cramp and pass blood. Yesterday, they served me a dinner roll. Today, mashed potatoes with gravy. The assistant Mgr of the kitchen told me time and again to trust him, he'll make sure I get gluten free meals. He said he had gluten free noodles, so I ate them for weeks. Turned out, they were regular EGG noodles, made with wheat flour. HE NEVER READ THE INGREDIENTS. He thought regular, everyday EGG NOODLES were special noodles made with egg and not flour. He showed me the bag, and clear as day, it said WHEAT FLOUR on the ingredient list, and CONTAINS WHEAT.

They didn't know the nature of an everyday kitchen staple, and could not be bothered to read the ingredients, even though they were told the pain it would cause me if they got it wrong. , and the nurses were reporting the blood and pain...

Sheer incompetence. No one else has caused me so much pain without answering for it.

aruvqan 08-25-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21168312)
1. No one's YET told me what I need in a laptop to run Left for dead 2 and Portal 2. I'll be doing more with it, but those are the most demanding tasks.

B. You probably don't know what the cpu and gpu is in that laptop, so it might not do the job. We don't know.

3. I won't be party to sending ANYONE on such a banzai run, let alone someone with a Death Pod!! Us sick folk have got to stick together!

I appreciate the concerns and efforts here. I only wish that the nursing home put forth the same effort. Maybe I'd be home by now.

I can't eat wheat. It's a trigger for my Crohn's, makes me flare, cramp and pass blood. Yesterday, they served me a dinner roll. Today, mashed potatoes with gravy. The assistant Mgr of the kitchen told me time and again to trust him, he'll make sure I get gluten free meals. He said he had gluten free noodles, so I ate them for weeks. Turned out, they were regular EGG noodles, made with wheat flour. HE NEVER READ THE INGREDIENTS. He thought regular, everyday EGG NOODLES were special noodles made with egg and not flour. He showed me the bag, and clear as day, it said WHEAT FLOUR on the ingredient list, and CONTAINS WHEAT.

They didn't know the nature of an everyday kitchen staple, and could not be bothered to read the ingredients, even though they were told the pain it would cause me if they got it wrong. , and the nurses were reporting the blood and pain...

Sheer incompetence. No one else has caused me so much pain without answering for it.

Well, we are planing on going to the other home next weekend for Labor Day, so I can bring the laptop back to the farm and double check and prep it for loaning out as I have friends who just surf and email, and I can extract the details just so I can be sure what it is I have on hand =)

Holy shit, what a moron - I have severe allergies to mushrooms and coconut, bivalves [clams, mussels, oysters, scallops and the lot] and have been checking ingredients for lo these many decades [at least 40, when I started cooking for myself and headed to university] I would almost make a list of what you are willing to eat of all their foods, and make them stock up on 'iron rations' [for me, the individual portions of shelf stable fruits - I adore applesauce, the diced peaches and diced pears, individual 100 calorie packs of pretzels, instant rice, certain dried fruit, packets of carnation instant breakfast that I mix with dried milk, ground oatmeal, ground flaxseed and a single serve of greek yogurt.] Zofran does let me get a good meal in shortly after I take it, but I try not to overuse it and many days I simply can't eat at all.

Qadgop the Mercotan 08-25-2018 09:44 PM

Honestly, you'd have gotten better and more comprehensive coordinated care in my state's prison system than what you've been getting since your initial hospitalization.

You wouldn't be able to go online though, or use your tablet. And the room decor sucks. :(

I'm so sorry for the treatment you've gotten at the hands of modern US medicine these days. I'm ashamed of how this system treats so many people.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 08-26-2018 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan (Post 21169693)
Honestly, you'd have gotten better and more comprehensive coordinated care in my state's prison system than what you've been getting since your initial hospitalization.

You wouldn't be able to go online though, or use your tablet. And the room decor sucks. :(

I'm so sorry for the treatment you've gotten at the hands of modern US medicine these days. I'm ashamed of how this system treats so many people.

I used to have a great deal of respect for educated ppl who have spent years or decades honing their craft. Now, I realize incompetence can shine through even all that effort. I'm having to second-guess people way too much, and as someone with a history of Dvts and pulmonary embolisms, I really should NOT have needed to fight with ppl for a week before they'd investigate my leg pain, particularly when I was unable to walk and had swollen legs.

The Nurse Practitioner here at the home said that I should just get used to having compressed vertebrae, like some of the other residents. That just spoke volumes about how she saw me, and told me that if I was to make it home, it wouldn't be because of her. The only reason I hadn't had surgery to repair them already was because of the DVTs I got on their watch. Pissed me off the way she was writing me off as long-term resident, instead of someone who was walking around and caring for someone else just two months before, someone who was going to go home again soon as an independent person.

The way they keep feeding me gluten for months - I'm astonished this guy has a job at all. I was experiencing kidney-stone-level pain several times a day for months, and it's almost entirely on him. Now, the idiot is so pleased with himself for finding ACTUAL GLUTEN-FREE noodles, I get them 3-4 times a week. No sauce or butter or cheese with them, just plain boiled gluten-free noodles. I have never served plain elbow macaroni to anyone in my life. Who the hell does that? The last batch had no sauce, and was boiled into a single mushy piece of glop with only a few discernible noodles showing. They still manage to give me gravy and dinner rolls here and there, though, just to keep me on my toes.

The lesson I'm taking away is NEVER get anything important done outside a major city. You might get a good outcome, but I think the odds are better in a large city, like Boston or Chicago or Pittsburgh or Nashville. The competence and general attitude of staff and medical professionals are very different.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 08-26-2018 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aruvqan (Post 21169468)
Well, we are planing on going to the other home next weekend for Labor Day, so I can bring the laptop back to the farm and double check and prep it for loaning out as I have friends who just surf and email, and I can extract the details just so I can be sure what it is I have on hand =)

Holy shit, what a moron - I have severe allergies to mushrooms and coconut, bivalves [clams, mussels, oysters, scallops and the lot] and have been checking ingredients for lo these many decades [at least 40, when I started cooking for myself and headed to university] I would almost make a list of what you are willing to eat of all their foods, and make them stock up on 'iron rations' [for me, the individual portions of shelf stable fruits - I adore applesauce, the diced peaches and diced pears, individual 100 calorie packs of pretzels, instant rice, certain dried fruit, packets of carnation instant breakfast that I mix with dried milk, ground oatmeal, ground flaxseed and a single serve of greek yogurt.] Zofran does let me get a good meal in shortly after I take it, but I try not to overuse it and many days I simply can't eat at all.

Yeah, as I look at him with his big damn smile and think of what he's done to me over and over, and the sheer incompetence he displayed, the word MORON springs to mind often. I swear it's gonna spring off of my tongue one day. I never knew the Peter Principle to strike with such a vengeance. I'm not at all in the habit of talking about ppl the way I'm talking now. They are just astonishingly, bafflingly, consistently bad at their jobs in a way that has had very severe repercussions for my health.

I DID tell them what I could and couldn't eat. I listed their safe foods that I knew of, I made EASY, SIMPLE meal plans with things I know they have, and gave them a few easy-to-make recipes with just a few common ingredients. They liked it, did it a couple times, and that was the end of it. Now I get plain hamburger patties on a plate for about 7-8 of my 14 non-breakfast meals a week. I've tried for three months to get them to put LOW-FIBER on my diet as well. I've told him 5 or more times, each time he says he will. Each time I can see on the form that comes up with my meal that he didn't. That and all the salads kinda give it away. Crohn's patients, particularly in a flare, do not need a lot of fiber.

Well, if you're going there anyway and you're willing, we can check the laptop specs and see if it measures up to PROJAMMERS minimum specs. If it does, we'll discuss what I can give you for it. I hope the effort doesn't put you out much. Thank you.

nearwildheaven 08-26-2018 01:04 AM

Is there any way you can be transferred to another facility? The way you are being treated there is beyond disgraceful.

davidm 08-26-2018 11:57 AM

I went through that whole leg pain / dvt thing. They kept saying that the pain was from disuse. They finally did an ultrasound and found a dvt.

Are they giving you anything to prevent dvts? Maybe heparin or Lovenox?

Qadgop the Mercotan 08-26-2018 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21169835)
I used to have a great deal of respect for educated ppl who have spent years or decades honing their craft.

I've been hiring and firing and supervising and evaluating physicians for decades now, and honestly, physicians are just people. Perhaps a bit more idealistic AND arrogant than average at the same time, which can be a deadly combination. And some are entitled idiots. Less than half of them are as good as they think they are, and the best ones are those who know their limits and their areas of expertise, and are capable of listening to the patient. And too many have accepted their role as cogs in a profit-driven medical machine, instead of being there to determine what their patient's legitimate needs are medically, and advocating for them.

I've often fallen short in those ways myself, but I try to do better.

aruvqan 08-26-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21169854)
Yeah, as I look at him with his big damn smile and think of what he's done to me over and over, and the sheer incompetence he displayed, the word MORON springs to mind often. I swear it's gonna spring off of my tongue one day. I never knew the Peter Principle to strike with such a vengeance. I'm not at all in the habit of talking about ppl the way I'm talking now. They are just astonishingly, bafflingly, consistently bad at their jobs in a way that has had very severe repercussions for my health.

I DID tell them what I could and couldn't eat. I listed their safe foods that I knew of, I made EASY, SIMPLE meal plans with things I know they have, and gave them a few easy-to-make recipes with just a few common ingredients. They liked it, did it a couple times, and that was the end of it. Now I get plain hamburger patties on a plate for about 7-8 of my 14 non-breakfast meals a week. I've tried for three months to get them to put LOW-FIBER on my diet as well. I've told him 5 or more times, each time he says he will. Each time I can see on the form that comes up with my meal that he didn't. That and all the salads kinda give it away. Crohn's patients, particularly in a flare, do not need a lot of fiber.

Well, if you're going there anyway and you're willing, we can check the laptop specs and see if it measures up to PROJAMMERS minimum specs. If it does, we'll discuss what I can give you for it. I hope the effort doesn't put you out much. Thank you.

Will do.

Any chance of getting some sort of lawsuit against these morons?

Face Intentionally Left Blank 08-27-2018 12:28 AM

My hopefully all-inclusive response. . .

I'm poor. This is what happens to the poor. The LUCKY ones. Last year, I was on the insurance exchange, paying for insurance. I had a hefty deductible, but all I did was get one of my biologic infusions as early in January as possible. They were ~$15,000 each, but the company forgave anything my insurance didn't cover, in such a way that my deductible was covered. After that, things were dirt cheap or free. I chose the insurance with a high deductible and low-everything-else, knowing I could do that. My insurance was pretty damn good the previous 3 years, buying off the exchange. Interestingly, every year I had to choose a new insurance company, because they kept withdrawing from this market at the end of the year.

I won my SSI case last fall, and that put me on medicaid in one of the deepest red states. Nice not to pay monthly premiums for it, PARTICULARLY given the events of the last three months. Probably would have lost insurance by now if I were still paying, but damn, this insurance isn't as good. I lost both my surgeon and my GI doctor of three years because of it, and I'm getting screwed around on the nursing home/rehab front. Not everyone takes this insurance, and I don't think I have any other options in this town. I can't transfer, I can't walk out. I'm basically stuck here no matter how bad things get. I'll ask around when I go to Nashville for my colectomy, but I doubt much will come of it, and I'll end up back here.

I just gotta get operated on and get home. I don't think I'll ever agree to such a nursing home stay again, regardless of the outcome. Three months in already, and it's five more weeks until my colectomy. After I recover from that, I need surgery to repair my vertebrae and rehab on that, so I can walk. I won't be home until after Thanksgiving. I only hope I can avoid another blood clot. I fear a blood clot death-spiral. I have a ten-minute timer on my tablet to remind me to move my legs.

RE: blood clots and thinners. Yeah, I've been on thinners for years, and they adjusted it after my clots. They were ENTIRELY too confident in my old blood thinner. They felt that I could not get a blood clot because I was already on a thinner, so much so that they ignored my complaints of leg pain and, "Something isn't right" for over a week before they tested my BADLY swollen legs

I don;t think I could scrape together any sort of case against this place. I'd have to prove they were giving me gluten and causing me pain for months, and while I have pictures of some of those meals, I can't prove they weren't gluten-free versions of those foods. Maybe I could do something about the blood clot I got on their watch. Likely not though, not the first time. If I get more clots, maybe my next-of-kin might have a case.

Thanks again, ARUVQAN

davidm 08-27-2018 12:47 AM

What happened with me and the dvt was that they ignored the leg pain at first other than giving me pain meds, which didn't help. I assume they thought that it couldn't be a clot because I was getting daily heparin injections.

When they finally discovered the clot they changed me from heparin to Lovenox, which eliminated the pain almost immediately. So it's not a good idea to assume that you can't have a clot because you're on an anticoagulant.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 08-27-2018 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidm (Post 21171223)
What happened with me and the dvt was that they ignored the leg pain at first other than giving me pain meds, which didn't help. I assume they thought that it couldn't be a clot because I was getting daily heparin injections.

When they finally discovered the clot they changed me from heparin to Lovenox, which eliminated the pain almost immediately. So it's not a good idea to assume that you can't have a clot because you're on an anticoagulant.

Well. I knew full well that I had a clot. It really could not have been much of anything else, given my history and my current state of health. The damn doctors were sure that it couldn't be a clot, though.

I am surprised that you got one on heparin though. Thought that was pretty effective stuff. Maybe they didn't have the dose right, or I'm simply incorrect about my heparin notions.

I'm kinda paranoid I'm going to get another clot before my next surgery. I've got a tingling in my right calf the past two days. I wonder what the risk would be to have the colectomy with a leg clot, given that I have a Greenfield filter in my inferior vena cava.

Yeah, I hope everyone reading this comes away remembering that blood thinners are NO GUARANTEE, and that they will be willing to push back when they think they may have a clot.

davidm 08-27-2018 04:58 AM

I'm not any kind of medical professional, so this is all surmise on my part, but the impression I got was that, while heparin is good, Lovenox is better but it's either more expensive or more dangerous (or both) so it's only used in cases where the heparin hasn't been effective enough.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 08-27-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidm (Post 21171344)
I'm not any kind of medical professional, so this is all surmise on my part, but the impression I got was that, while heparin is good, Lovenox is better but it's either more expensive or more dangerous (or both) so it's only used in cases where the heparin hasn't been effective enough.

iirc from my pharmacy tech job, a dose of Lovenox was in the hundreds of dollars, whereas heparin was measured in dollars, or tens of dollars. of course, that was quite some time ago, and Lovenox might have a cheap generic by now.

MonkeyCat 08-28-2018 12:19 AM

What I take from this thread is you're (FILB) insanely depressed, humble, thoughtful of others, and alone. You sound like you're abhorrent of self-pity to the point you aren't, or hadn't, as of the last post I read really forced your personal health and needs on others. I'm almost wondering if you're more frightened of accepting being dependent and under the control of the hospital than you are of inadvertently dying from poor health at home. Actually, I take that back. You sound more likely afraid they'll throw you out again and leave you to die, which would be even worse. It gets harder and harder to believe you're a human being when no one will help in a time of need.

Before you devolve into a gibbering mess, I'd suggest doing the seemingly humiliating/shameful thing of asking a family member to help. As in, tell them exactly how bad it is. Someone who can visit multiple times a day and make phone calls until this is sorted out.

From personal experience, I can say I always believed there was no limit to a person's willpower and sanity. I thought as long as I trudged ahead there was no breaking point. For most of my life, this worked out pretty well and I survived some insanely screwed up things. But, I'm questioning that logic these days. I have a sense in me that there were times, under the right conditions, I could have had a psychotic break just long enough to really end my life, or maybe done something awful in desperation like a third party watching a movie of myself in that moment. And you, sir, are under an incredibly large amount of stress both physically and psychologically. (Apparently, according to your posts.)

nearwildheaven 08-28-2018 08:57 PM

Heparin requires monitoring of the clotting process, and rarely causes thrombocytopenia, which REALLY complicates things. In addition, Lovenox (enoxaparin) is more specific regarding the clotting factors upon which it acts.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 08-29-2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvaetbjorn (Post 21173245)
What I take from this thread is you're (FILB) insanely depressed, humble, thoughtful of others, and alone. You sound like you're abhorrent of self-pity to the point you aren't, or hadn't, as of the last post I read really forced your personal health and needs on others. I'm almost wondering if you're more frightened of accepting being dependent and under the control of the hospital than you are of inadvertently dying from poor health at home. Actually, I take that back. You sound more likely afraid they'll throw you out again and leave you to die, which would be even worse. It gets harder and harder to believe you're a human being when no one will help in a time of need.

Before you devolve into a gibbering mess, I'd suggest doing the seemingly humiliating/shameful thing of asking a family member to help. As in, tell them exactly how bad it is. Someone who can visit multiple times a day and make phone calls until this is sorted out.

From personal experience, I can say I always believed there was no limit to a person's willpower and sanity. I thought as long as I trudged ahead there was no breaking point. For most of my life, this worked out pretty well and I survived some insanely screwed up things. But, I'm questioning that logic these days. I have a sense in me that there were times, under the right conditions, I could have had a psychotic break just long enough to really end my life, or maybe done something awful in desperation like a third party watching a movie of myself in that moment. And you, sir, are under an incredibly large amount of stress both physically and psychologically. (Apparently, according to your posts.)

Before we dive in here - thank you for caring enough to post. You've read the thread and took the time for a long, detailed message to me, and you did not need to take that time out of your life to do that. The thought and effort is appreciated.

I don't fear death the way I used to. I fear a lingering, painful death, but I've come to believe there are worse things than dying. I fear spending months in a place like this, putting up with pain and stress and hoping I'd recover, then dying - or worse, not. Getting just sick enough that I can never break the spiral of bad health and get anything fixed.

Yeah, I don't want to be kicked out of here. I cannot live on my own right now. Kind of a reasonable concern, I think. Considering that three months and one week ago, I was fairly independant, keeping house and caring for someone else, I also fear being dependent and under the control of the rehab facility, which of late seems less rehab and more The Three Stooges Nursing Home. As for depression, well, I have never been more depressed in my adult life. Not even when was I sick four years ago.

I've spent the last 17 years with Crohn's, all of which were under-served by medical treatment. I've spent the past 12 years caring for my mother and doing almost nothing else. I could have died about 4 years back. The local hospital would not operate and were suggesting conservative, non-invasive treatment, which would not have ended well, according to my (eventual) surgeon. When I was in ICU, one doctor tried to manually reduce my hernia. Only problem was, it wasn't a hernia: it was a huge pocket of infection and feces that looked like a hernia. The part of it that was visible on the outside. Funny thing was, that wasn't what got me to the ER. It was the bilateral PE's that made me pass out when I tried to walk. The PE's likely saved me from the infection. I did not have insurance, it didn;t kick in for another 2 weeks, at the first of the year, and I would have been horribly ill before then. Kind of a miracle I didn't have infection all through my body already. Not too many ppl are thankful for multiple PEs.

One doctor fought for me and got me transferred to a hospital where they'd operate. A year later in a follow-up appointment, my surgeon said that it was the worst he'd ever seen, and that I was one of those patients you never forget. I spent three months in the hospital and rehab. I guess I said all that so I could get to this point: Ever since, all I've really hoped for was 5 or 6 years of reasonable health and enough freedom to visit my friends up north. Freedom to go places without being chained to a toilet and without fear of having 'accidents'. Five or six years to live and make new memories instead of exist, to simply survive through day after day of pain.

I don't have much more to work with. Reinforcements are not on the way. I've hardly seen anyone in 12 years but my sister and my mother. Between my own sickness and Mom's needs, I didn't get out much. Mom's undergoing psychiatric evaluation now, and my sister has to handle that on her own, along with her own job and her life. I see her about 90 minutes a week. I wouldn't have put Mom in a home while I could avoid it, but that's been taken out of my hands now, and all I have left is my hope for my five or six years of relative health and freedom. I about lost my mind when I got my DVT before my back surgery. At that moment, Mom had to go away, and I even lost my dog. There was no choice after that.

Just so much collapsed around me, and still threatens to - ALL BECAUSE OF THE DAMN DVT. If I hadn't had that, I'd have had my back surgery and been back home caring for Mom and waiting on my colon surgery. But because of that one last gratuitous insult, I had to sit here and stare at walls for months on end while everything flies apart like shrapnel.

I have to make it through another 5 weeks to my colon surgery. That at least will be the first progress I'd have made in 17 years, the first progress I'd had in three months of sitting here while my mother bounces around finding a place that can handle her, and my sister tries to keep it together while Mom has her last go at making our lives miserable.

I am just rambling. I'll leave it. You were wondering what I feared. Basically, I feared this. Every bit of this, and still more that's come to pass these past three months that I'm not going to talk about. All I have to do is keep it together until my surgeries and avoid another blood clot, and I'm doing what I can there. Oh, and outlast the kitchen's, "Find the Gluten" sick little game. Spoiler alert: today, they put gravy - chicken gravy, I think - on my plain-hamburger-patty-on-a-plate. Chicken gravy.

That damned DVT has sent multiple lives off-course. Mine, my mother's, my sister's, even my sad little dog. You'd think the cellulitis on my foot, the broken vertebrae, the neverending Crohn;s flare and impending colectomy wound be enough at one time. Not the case.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 09-29-2018 04:03 AM

Update:

I'm scheduled for a colectomy on October 3rd. I'll be in the hospital for a few days, and if all goes well, they'll ship me to a nursing/rehab facility to recover and wait for my next surgery, which will be to repair my vertebrae. No details of the back surgery have been worked out, including where it will happen and who will do it. Hoping to make some progress on that front during my hospital stay for my colectomy. Also hoping to find a different nursing/rehab facility, so I don't have to come back here.

I've been in the hospital or nursing home since the end of May. Four straight months of lying in bed. Everything points to this being a real, positive step in improving my health, the biggest one I've taken in the 17 years since I've been diagnosed. Those who have had this operation assure me it's the best thing that they could have done.

Been a tough few months. Everyone keeps asking me if I'm excited, if I am happy to be having this. In a vague, abstract way, yeah, I guess so, but not a lot. Too worn out by too much crap going wrong for too long. After four months in this place, I feel institutionalized. I don't know what life outside is like anymore. I just exist through day after day, waiting to get to the next operation, hoping it will get me the hell out of this place.

So, October 3rd is my next big day. I'll post back here, probably 3-5 days later. Sooner, if history is any guide, but I can't be sure.

EmilyG 09-29-2018 10:03 AM

I'm glad that you'll be having the surgery in October. I hope it goes well.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 10-12-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilyG (Post 21238305)
I'm glad that you'll be having the surgery in October. I hope it goes well.

Thanks. I'm about 8 days past my surgery. Been rough. For the first few days it was like some heavyweight boxer worked over my abdomen for 30 minutes. Such pain. Had issues with the functioning of my intestines - lot of 'output'. Passed a kidney stone. Sure would like to see real improvement, because right now things feel like a regular Crohn's flare, except I dont have to run to the bathroom, I have a bag to catch things. I look occasionally, afraid I'll see a bag full of blood. Hasn't happened yet, but until things calm down, I'll keep looking.

Thinking/working on the back surgery next. Need to get a referral. Not gonna wait around for that for forever. Need to set up an appt to get in ASAP. Hoping I'll be healed well enough for my next surgery by the time I can arrange to have it.

Trying to get used to caring for the ostomy, even as I'm trying to get used to having it.

PastTense 10-12-2018 10:01 PM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

davidm 10-12-2018 10:06 PM

Hang in there!

Beckdawrek 10-12-2018 10:57 PM

Oh, geez. I am so glad you got the surgery. I hope it's a good outcome. Are you headed to a rehab center next?

Face Intentionally Left Blank 10-14-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21264234)
Oh, geez. I am so glad you got the surgery. I hope it's a good outcome. Are you headed to a rehab center next?

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I'm back in the SAME rehab center. I talked with the folks at the hospital, and they talked with the facility about their inability to serve me gluten free food. So far so good.

Abdomen is feeling better, thankfully.

Bullitt 10-16-2018 04:38 AM

My gosh what a saga! I’m very glad you are on the mend.

PastTense 11-02-2018 01:48 PM

How are you doing?

Has you next surgery been scheduled?

davidm 11-03-2018 10:14 AM

Let us know how you're doing.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 11-05-2018 07:15 PM

Well, I'm a month past my colectomy and ileostomy. Still being careful of what I eat. Mostly potatoes and rice and meat, with some eggs thrown in. Had some gluten free chocolate chip cookies (rice flour) and some Butter finger candy bars on Halloween and I tolerated them well. The latter is mostly peanut butter and sugar, and they said that was safe to eat. Worked out OK. I find the bag annoying, I have to empty it like four times a day, and I only eat three times a day, when they feed me. Still better than the blood, pain and cramping, and the messing myself... Although I now pass mucus about twice a day, through what remains of my colon/anus. Also annoying. Hoping this all gets easier with time, and when I can walk again.

Still getting used to changing my appliance every four days or so. Not easy for me, but as I heal and get practice hopefully it will get easier. I have a referral for a back surgeon my pcp recommended. Don't have a date for the first appt yet, the one his office set conflicted with my ostomy follow up in a couple days. Hopefully the rescheduled appt will be soon.

Something went wrong with my SSI appeal. Something that was supposed to be easy and a virtual lock did not happen. So the 8-10 thousand dollars backpay I was hoping to get in October didn't happen. I got nothing. Least I have my monthly payment and my Medicaid. That extra money could really have come in handy. My nineteen year old Saturn leaks a quart of oil a month, but with my finances, when it dies, that's pretty much it for having a car. Need dental work, my vision beyond five feet is a joke, and that's WITH glasses... That money could have found uses. Hell, I was rebuilding my 7-year-old desktop computer before I went into the hospital, and I never finished that. Oh well.

Just waiting on my next surgery and hoping to be home before Christmas and my birthday again. Three of the past four years, I've spent the holidays in the hospital. For a guy that doesn't think of himself as all that sick, I'm sick a lot. :D

PastTense 11-06-2018 10:10 AM

Best wishes!

DavidwithanR 11-06-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21038568)

Extended use of prednisone tends to cause osteoporosis. It seems like people somehow don't get told that at the beginning.

PastTense 11-06-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidwithanR (Post 21307796)
Extended use of prednisone tends to cause osteoporosis. It seems like people somehow don't get told that at the beginning.

I believe somewhere in the thread he explained that he couldn't afford the pricey alternatives.

DavidwithanR 11-06-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastTense (Post 21307804)
I believe somewhere in the thread he explained that he couldn't afford the pricey alternatives.

Yes, understood. Still - people not getting told "this causes osteoporosis" is an issue IMO.

Beckdawrek 11-06-2018 04:56 PM

Some peeps just want relief and skim over warnings. If we had a healthcare plan in this country it would be a non-issue.
Ok. I am off my soapbox, carry on.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 11-08-2018 08:08 PM

Yeah, I was aware of the risks. Hell, my stepsister has Lupus, has had a hip replacement because prednisone killed the marrow in the joint. Felt I was always, "just using it to get over this flare", but really, I was flaring half the year or more, particularly in recent years. No insurance, and prednisone was effective and cheap. I'm in a group not commonly associated with osteoporosis, and had hoped it would protect me some as well. Didn't happen.

Got my PCP to recommend a back surgeon that takes my insurance, and refer me to him. Had an appointment scheduled for today, but he called me this morning and canceled. His people told me that after talking with my PCP, he decided that due to my use of blood thinners and my problems wearing a brace (my new ostomy), that he could not help me.

Neither of those problems are going away, but I still need surgery to walk. Guess I'll call my PCP tomorrow and start over again. This terribly upset me - I canceled my followup for my ostomy surgeon because this was when the back surgeon could see me, and now my ostomy followup isn't until December 27th - a long time from Oct 11th, the last time i've seen a doctor about it (surgery was Oct 3rd). Moved a very important appointment for the back surgeon, and he won't even see me.

This was supposed to move my recovery forward, and instead it was suddenly a dead end, with news that things I can't do a damn thing about are gonna affect my ability to get someone to operate on me. So I was upset. A parade of ppl came in to talk to me today, including a psych doctor. Gotta pacify the cattle, keep 'em calm in their stalls while they rake in their money. Not allowed to show a moment's weakness or be justifiably upset or a gaggle of ppl come in wanting to hold your hand and spout platitudes. They're not the ones who woke up unable to walk one day and have spent five+ months in a hospital bed.

Jesus, wtf, is my name Job or something? Why can't ONE fucking thing go as expected?

PastTense 11-08-2018 09:15 PM

My impression of the situation is that 1. The back surgery is somewhat tricky because of your health problems and thus both the surgery and backups could take a long to do and 2. You are on Medicaid which pays very little. Consequently most surgeons are not going to financially interested in doing your surgery. [And this is my guess of the reason for your surgeon's rejection--not blood thinners]

The exception might be a surgeon at a medical school, who might find your case interesting/a good teaching opportunity. What are the medicals schools close to you? Did you say Vanderbilt? If so go to the faculty directory and find the appropriate departments--apparently both orthopaedic surgery and neurological surgery do spine operations.
https://www.orlandoortho.com/orthopa...spine-surgery/

Go through and read the description of each of the faculty members and find some possibilities. Note each has an email address.
https://wag.app.vanderbilt.edu/Publi...Faculty/Search

Prepare a letter, including complete a complete medical description and start sending them off (remember they might want to do it because it is medically interesting). Don't spam large numbers at once. And be sure the title is interesting enough so they read the email.

Beckdawrek 11-08-2018 10:43 PM

So sorry. Call your ostomy doctor and get in earlier or on a call list for a cancellation. Chin up. Here's hoping.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 11-11-2018 09:10 PM

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. Not yet ready to pass my surgery along to a student, but it's another option if it comes to that. Gonna talk to my PCP again Monday. She's been a great help and advocate for me in the past, so I'll start with her again and see where that goes.

Snowboarder Bo 11-11-2018 10:01 PM

Still reading along and sending Slack your way, Face.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 11-26-2018 04:30 AM

Thanks Bo, I appreciate you sending something useful my way :)

I have an appointment with a new surgeon on Dec 3rd. Yale educated, the former Chief of Staff at a Nashville hospital. . .sounds really good so far. Hope he'll operate on me, or at least see me before he gives up on me.

Looks like I'm in here until at least January. Crap. This Tuesday marks six months since I woke up and couldn't walk, and I called the ambulance.

kayT 11-26-2018 06:17 AM

Going to be thinking good thoughts for you on Dec. 3. You are doing an amazing job of hanging in there and not giving up.

Helena330 11-26-2018 02:43 PM

I hope this surgeon gives you good news!

Face Intentionally Left Blank 02-04-2019 11:38 PM

Today is my first day home.

Surgeon did not give me good news. Said my bones were too bad to operate on, said putting hardware on my spine would be like nailing jello to a board. Also was worried about operating on me with my history of blood clots. Still in a wheelchair, but walking a few steps here and there.My back hurts when I stand. Hope to one day get well enough to wank into a store and use one of those motorized carts and do my own shopping.

Spent ten hours setting up my desktop. My sister and her husband moved all my stuff into a storage facility, then two weeks later had to move it all into my new place. They didn't really understand how to set up my computer, I'm just glad they did a decent job of taking it down and moving it.

The new place has bugs. Killed five and one got away since coming home around noon. Sister says they are roaches. Can't tell myself, my vision is very poor now. I think I have cataracts. Prednisone can cause them, just like it caused my brittle/broken bones. I don't really want to go to bed, as I don't really want the bugs to crawl on me, whatever they are.

Beckdawrek 02-04-2019 11:55 PM

Tell your landlord about the bugs. So sorry about your back surgery. Couldn't be worse news. For God's sake don't fall. Be very careful. I worry about you.

PastTense 02-05-2019 12:28 AM

Sorry to hear about your very bad news.

A few people here may want to contribute a few dollars. You mentioned the problems with getting additional money with SSI and having to declare it. An alternative I was thinking about was gift cards. For example suppose you shop at Amazon. One might buy a $25, $50... whatever Amazon.com eGift Card and just enter your email address (which you list in your profile).

Thoughts?

Beckdawrek 02-05-2019 12:30 AM

I would donate. Someone should set it up.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 02-05-2019 12:38 AM

Oh c'MON! One just crawled up my mousing hand. Forget sleeping, they're crawling on me when I'm awake. On the other hand, might as well sleep if that's gonna happen anyway.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. If I think of anything I need, I'll let you guys know.

davidm 02-05-2019 02:21 AM

Definitely complain to the landlord about the bugs.

Apply for all of the help you can. After my problems, I'm now getting SNAP and a free medical plan from Pennsylvania, and SSDI from the federal level. The health coverage is better than the one I was paying for.

I'm bad off but you sound much worse so you should be eligible for at least what I'm getting, depending on your state.

Snowboarder Bo 02-05-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidm (Post 21470944)
Definitely complain to the landlord about the bugs.

Yeah; that's really unacceptable.

You're one tough motherfucker, you know that Face?

Helena330 02-05-2019 06:44 PM

Please, please let me send you an Amazon e-gift card so you can at least order some roach motels!

JeffB 02-05-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21470838)
Hope to one day get well enough to wank into a store and use one of those motorized carts and do my own shopping.

(bolding mine)

I think that's asking for a bit too much.

Sincerely -- all the best to you.

Beckdawrek 02-05-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helena330 (Post 21472434)
Please, please let me send you an Amazon e-gift card so you can at least order some roach motels!

+1

Face Intentionally Left Blank 02-06-2019 08:36 PM

Thanks again, as always. I had an idea I was gonna be up against this, so I started this thread a couple weeks back.

Maybe it was all the spraying they've been doing that got them all stirred up. I haven't seen a single bug since I woke up at 10AM. Weird. I've got some growth inhibitor on order, and a couple of poison baits that you're supposed to use in rotation. Between that and the spraying the landlord has been doing, maybe we can knock these things down.

I appreciate the offers of help. I'm doing OK for now. I'm not tough, I'm just trying to get by as best I can in a fairly rough period.

JeffB, holy hell, what a typo! Wish I could blame it on some autocorrect accident, but I think we all know it was my fat fingers along with some poorly hidden exhibitionist tendencies.

I better hit the road. Getting pretty tired. Lotta work getting the new place in order, and I'm still not done.

PastTense 04-06-2019 09:14 PM

It's been a couple months since you last posted in this thread: how are you doing now?

Best wishes!

Helena330 04-07-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastTense (Post 21577865)
It's been a couple months since you last posted in this thread: how are you doing now?

Best wishes!

Thanks for bumping. I hope you're doing ok, Face!

davidm 04-08-2019 10:17 AM

Has he posted anywhere on the board lately?

kayT 04-08-2019 01:51 PM

Yes, in the guitar thread on 4/6.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 05-21-2019 03:17 AM

Hey guys, sorry. Haven't checked in on this lately, thought interest had died. I'll bring you up to date.

Still in the efficiency apartment. Miracle of miracles, they actually knocked down the cockroaches. I've seen just one in about the past 5 or 6 weeks. Didn't have a lot of hope, as I understand the college students a few doors down don't keep a clean place, leaving fast food/pizza bags/boxes and remnants out. If you don't stop doing that, it's hard to put a stop to the roaches. They tried a few different sprays, and I guess they found one the bugs did not like. Things are a lot more pleasant when cockroaches aren't crawling on you.

Had an appointment with my primary last week at 3 in the afternoon. I have to go every 3 months to get pain pills refills. I set up transportation through my insurance company 9 days in advance. Had a reservation# and everything. At 6:30AM the day of the appointment, I call them, and they still didn't have anyone lined up. Several calls and several hours later, my sister ended up having to take me. Never tried these handicapped transports before, and my first experience didn't work out at all. Could have been worse: they could have driven me there and not picked me up.

I have an appointment on the 30th with an eye surgeon to see about getting my cataracts removed. I hope it's not too many more months before I get that taken care of. It's been two months since they said I needed them operated on, and I've been telling people I'm half-blind for about a year now. Had a confusing conversation with my sister last week when she took me to my appointment. I was asking about my car, where it was, etc. Things got confusing because we were parked right next to it and she just assumed I knew it was there, and she didn't know what it was I was talking about. I'm REALLY looking forward to getting my eyes fixed.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a proctectomy later this year. The last several inches of my colon that remain is still causing me problems - I'm incontinent from excessive mucus, some blood, and 2-3 times a day, I have a few minutes of painful, uncontrolled cramping. I'm really not looking forward to that surgery. Afterwards, you can't even sit down for 3-5 weeks, which is especially problematic for someone who can't walk/stand for more than a minute. If it goes well, though, it will eliminate that particular pain, and I won't have to wear diapers any more, which would be nice. Just 6-8 weeks more pain and discomfort, and I won't have that any more. It'll mean more time in the nursing home recovering. If things go wrong and I need more than 2 months in there, I could lose my apartment and end up in an assisted-living facility, or a nursing home, or even on the streets. It's a risk.

Still working on walking. My hope is (once I get my eyes fixed) to be able to walk to my car, park in a handicapped space, and walk into the store and get into one of those motorized chairs/carts. It would allow me to get out of the house, and buy a few things on my own, even if I can't get the heavy/perishable stuff. I could buy some things and leave them in the trunk until my sister visits.

Some random stuff:
I lost some things in the move. I had some autographed cards, including an autographed Harvey Haddix card that I probably could have sold for $100. Would have helped me get computer upgrades or a new Kindle. Had a Topps rookie Mario Lemieux card. Worst of all, I lost my Kindle Paperwhite. I have a color tablet, though it's pretty beat up from a year of over-use in the nursing home, but I really prefer the Paperwhite for extended reading. I've got alerts set up on SlickDeals to tell me when a sale comes up. Maybe they'll have a sale on refurbs, or a clearance when a new model comes out.

They made me take a pee test to get my pain pills last week. Tested me for drugs like pot and meth. Pot? I'm glad I don't know anyone. If I had the opportunity, I likely would have tried it to see if it helped my pains, then I would not have been able to get my legal opiates because of using pot. Makes sense.

I think that's pretty much everything worth talking about. Thanks for asking.

VOW 05-21-2019 02:36 PM

CBD is legal everywhere, because it's made from hemp. I use it with my pain pills, and I think it makes them more effective. I also discovered that CBD can effectively "cure" what the advertising industry calls "OIC," which stands for "Opioid Induced Constipation." Since you have temperamental guts, you would need to use CBD um, delicately.

My source of CBD is wellicity . com

~VOW

Broomstick 05-21-2019 04:00 PM

CBD can also give a false positive for marijuana (or a true positive if they didn't get all the THC out when refining it) which, from the standpoint of Federal rules and regulations regarding opiates, is no different than smoking genuine marijuana and would result in loss of access to legal opiates for the OP. If you're doubtful about that, I will also throw in that eating hot dog or hamburger buns ornamented with poppy seeds can also generate positive results on some drugs tests. I don't know what sort of test the OP's pain clinic is using or the sensitivity of them, but drug testing urine can be a surprisingly tricky business.

In other words, nice thought but maybe not the best suggestion.

PastTense 05-21-2019 04:03 PM

Face: Best wishes. I talked in a previous post about Amazon gift cards for you--and others supported it. So we could help you pay for a new Kindle or computer upgrades.

Helena330 05-22-2019 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastTense (Post 21655167)
Face: Best wishes. I talked in a previous post about Amazon gift cards for you--and others supported it. So we could help you pay for a new Kindle or computer upgrades.

I'm in.

Thanks for the update, Face! I'm glad you don't have to deal with cockroaches any more!

Face Intentionally Left Blank 05-22-2019 05:21 AM

Thanks guys. I've considered CBD oil, but hadn't got around to trying it. Now that I know I'll be tested, I'm definitely not going to try it because of the false positive risk. I find it funny(in both senses of the word) that this will probably be among the last states to legalize it. I read somewhere that marijuana is Kentucky's biggest cash crop.

I've never done any illegal drug. Always had better things to do. I find it funny that I'm being drug-tested for the first time now. I worked in a hospital, I was an assistant supervisor at a bank, and I was never tested. Let me get sick and sit in a wheelchair at home though, PEE TEST! Heck, possible pain reduction aside, I'm getting to the point in my life when I should consider trying drugs. Remember Alan Arkin's character in Little Miss Sunshine? ;)

As for the gift cards, I appreciate the thought as always, folks. I don't really NEED a computer upgrade now. As long as I have access to my desktop and it stays in working order, it's adequate for my needs. I can afford the Kindle if I really needed it now, but I'm going to wait for a sale to conserve money. It's something that will be more useful after my cataract surgery, anyway.

Thanks for caring.

VOW 05-22-2019 06:48 AM

I think you ought to have a Kindle Paperwhite! With a screen protector and a case that may protect from falls, but not from being run over by a cement truck.

Gimme an address, I'll send it to you immediately, and the scruffy bunch here can hand over all the change they've been digging out of the storm drains.

I'm not rich, Face. My husband and I are disabled retirees. But I have a few extra bucks, and my mommy and daddy instilled an attitude of helping people out.

So...gimme your address.

~VOW

(PS--you can change the font size and brightness!)

Broomstick 05-22-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21656092)
As for the gift cards, I appreciate the thought as always, folks. I don't really NEED a computer upgrade now

I'll just point out that there are a LOT of things you can buy on Amazon with a gift card. Building up a small account of that sort via donations can be an emergency resource of sorts. You don't have to use it all up immediately, after all, you can keep it in reserve. Use it for what you need, when you need it.

davidm 05-22-2019 10:04 AM

It sounds like things are slowly improving for you. I know how tough it can be. Hang in there!

Mikkel 05-22-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOW (Post 21656151)
Gimme an address, I'll send it to you immediately, and the scruffy bunch here can hand over all the change they've been digging out of the storm drains.

Yes please, I promise to chip in, either by Amazon gift card or Paypal.
I usually dig my spare money out from under the seats in the taxi I drive.

Jasmine 05-22-2019 11:04 AM

This makes me so angry! This shit happens every day; people rationing medicine and suffering in the process, people being denied medical care, etc. This nation has some serious moral issues.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 05-23-2019 09:54 AM

Oh yeah, you can buy everything on Amazon. Before I went into the hospital last year, I ordered things like laundry detergent and big packs of toilet paper, just to avoid going to the store and/or having to carry it into the house. When in rehab, I ordered some coke and other snacks delivered, rather than pay vending machine prices

While I greatly appreciate the offers of Amazon gift cards, and even a Kindle Paperwhite, I don't really need them. I've got a roof over my head, food (and food assistance), my computer and internet, and while things could be going better/faster on that front, I even have health care. I don't truly need much more. I hope no one is offended by my declining the kind offers here, but there are people in greater need than I.

I have sales alerts set up for the Paperwhites, so I can save a little when I buy it. Recreational reading isn't the pleasure it was before the cataracts. They make even my internet reading and occasional gaming problematic. When my eyes are fixed, I'll be more interested in reading for pleasure. In the meantime, I can be patient and wait for a sale.

Thanks again.

Helena330 05-23-2019 11:45 AM

It's not necessarily about "need". It's about making a difficult situation a little more pleasant for a very nice person. And as broomstick pointed out, someday maybe you WILL need a bit extra.

OK for now! But if you ever do need a little help, just remember that you have a few people here who would be more than happy to give it. :)

Mama Zappa 05-24-2019 06:49 PM

Hopefully you can get in to see someone about the cataracts SOON. It's a very common, very low-risk surgery - and while your medication regimen might complicate things a bit, it's nothing a good surgeon shouldn't be able to handle.

And it'll be a huge victory, having your vision improve that dramatically - which is sure to be a hell of a morale boost with everything else that's been going not-well lately.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 05-24-2019 08:12 PM

Thank you ,Helena330.

Mama Zappa, I have an appt with an eye surgeon at the end of the month to hopefully schedule surgery. Very much looking forward to it, as my vision is getting quite bad. I find myself leaning forward into the monitor so much it irritates my back, and I can't move the monitor any closer to me on the desk. This is the one surgery where I foresee a great and noticeable change. Can't wait.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-01-2019 11:56 PM

Well, I have my cataract surgeries scheduled: The first one gets done on the 20th. Good news.

Bad news is I seem to have another abscess in my rectum. I have an appt with my GI in July and I was going to talk with them about having a proctectomy, a procedure that is commonly paired with the ileostomy I had late last year. Having that would eliminate some problems I'm currently having and help prevent things such as abscesses. Figures it couldn't wait a few months.

I'll need a surgery to drain and clean out the abscess, and then 4-6 weeks to recover while it heals from the inside out. Painful. THEN, sometime this fall or winter, I'll have the six-hour proctectomy surgery, which is much more extensive and harder to recover from. I was dreading the proctectomy enough by itself, I didn't want to have an additional surgery in that area as well. I just hope I can finally get my cataracts removed after more than a year of waiting, and this abscess doesn't derail it.

Meanwhile, the abscess hurts like hell to sit or lie on. I called my GI on Friday morning and left a message on their machine, explaining my situation and asking them to get back with me before the weekend. Didn't happen, of course. The fun never stops.

PastTense 06-02-2019 09:26 AM

Maybe you could get some type of cushion. Here is an expensive one:
https://www.backbenimble.com/hemorrhoid-cushion.htm

Here is a cheap one:
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Donu.../dp/B014SC9QDM

I am sure there are lots of options. As stated there are a few people here who would contribute some money.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-02-2019 11:31 AM

Thanks for the ideas to reduce my pain. A decent cushion helps, but as this is not the first time I've dealt with this, I have a decent butt-cushion handy. This is really annoying timing. I'm worried it's going to interfere with my cataract surgery.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-21-2019 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21676542)
Thanks for the ideas to reduce my pain. A decent cushion helps, but as this is not the first time I've dealt with this, I have a decent butt-cushion handy. This is really annoying timing. I'm worried it's going to interfere with my cataract surgery.

A bit of good news:

The swelling/abscess started reducing in size and pain on its own, a first for me. By the time I got to the doctor, the palpable hard area was smaller, and the pain was greatly reduced. I took a week's worth of cipro/flagyl, and the doctor said the hard area was gone. I still feel it though, a bit, as I sit here. Not worth mentioning with everything else going on, as long as it stays that way. Hopefully that will stay at bay until I see the doctor about a proctectomy in September.

The abscess didn't interfere in my cataract surgery. After a year of waiting, I finally got my first eye operated on Thursday. It's an improvement. Things are brighter, colors are more vivid. Things in general are sharper, but I still don't have great distance vision or near vision. My current glasses are useless for that eye, so I removed the lens. Now I'm just not wearing my glasses, as they don't appreciably help my bad eye either. I don't think I've gone without my glasses for 43 years. It's odd.

Friday I have my one-day follow-up. Hopefully he'll give me a projected timetable on my healing, and when I can start thinking about a new set of glasses. Probably not for a couple months though, since it'll be another month before the other eye is fixed. My vision is much improved, but until I can get my next pair of glasses, it won't be what you might call good, or even decent. My close-up vision in my repaired eye is so bad I look at small print with my bad eye, from about 3-4 inches.

It's a start.

kayT 06-21-2019 05:57 AM

So glad the cataract removal is under way. It's about time you had some good news! I started to tell you to hang in there but you have been doing that for a long time. All the best to you.

Helena330 06-22-2019 12:08 PM

That's great news! I'm glad the abscess settled down on its own and you were able to get the cataract removal process going.

Mama Zappa 06-27-2019 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21709241)
Friday I have my one-day follow-up. Hopefully he'll give me a projected timetable on my healing, and when I can start thinking about a new set of glasses. Probably not for a couple months though, since it'll be another month before the other eye is fixed. My vision is much improved, but until I can get my next pair of glasses, it won't be what you might call good, or even decent. My close-up vision in my repaired eye is so bad I look at small print with my bad eye, from about 3-4 inches.

It's a start.

Sorry you have to wait that long for eye #2. Mine had been scheduled for 4 weeks apart, though they had a cancellation and I got 'em 2 weeks apart; a friend had hers done 7 days apart.

They gave me a scrip for computer / reading glasses at the 2 week followup for eye #2.

My friend actually wore a contact lens in the bad eye for most of the week between the two procedures, as her vision was so bad she couldn't have gotten by even with a lens knocked out of the old pair of specs. I believe she did pretty much what you describe, re reading close up with the unfixed eye.

If you're lucky, when #2 is done you'll be able to get by with drugstore reading glasses.

Sunny Daze 06-27-2019 11:12 PM

I'm glad things are moving forward. Do you think drugstore reading classes might help while you go through the process?

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-30-2019 04:55 AM

Yeah, bummer the eyes surgeries are so far apart. I have what may be the best vision I've ever had in my corrected eye. Well, except for close-up. At about 14" or so, it starts to go fuzzy. I printed out a chart to gauge what strength reading glasses I need, and ordered a pair off ebay. Hopefully they will help for the several weeks I have left before I can get proper glasses prescribed.

Been doing OK, abscess-wise. Finished my antibiotics, doctor said the abscess had gone down to the point where it was no longer palpable. Hope it stays away until later this year, when I get the proctectomy.

Gotta figure out my SSI, and how long I can stay in rehab/skilled care facility before they stop paying me. I'll likely need to stay in rehab for awhile after the proctectomy, but I'll still need to pay for the apartment so I have a place to stay when I get home. Last time I went in, 6 weeks went by, then I went home and got stuck in a chair, because that was when I would have switched over to long-term care. They didn't do a good job of explaining the ramifications of that. Made me feel like I was checking myself into a place I couldn't check out of, and I wasn't about to do that. I hadn't even considered that SSI wouldn't pay me while I was in there.

I've all but convinced myself that SSI will probably pay me for the period before the 'long-term care' kicks in. I'll have to look into it, but if that's the case, 6 weeks should be ample time to heal and be well enough to return to my apartment. I'll see if I can save up a cushion in case things don't go as planned, but it won't be much.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 09-09-2019 11:20 PM

Figure I'd bring this up-to-date. Both eyes are fixed now. Without glasses, I have great distance vision, poor near vision - exactly the reverse of what I've had my whole life. Most of my life takes place within arms-length, now more than ever. Wish I had better close-up vision. For things I could see without glasses before, I now need my bifocals and a magnifying glass. Oh well.

Don't much care for my glasses. Narrowest lenses (from top to bottom) that I've ever had. I think it makes for a very narrow field of focus in the progressive lens. They didn't have frames with wider lenses in the section my insurance would cover. Again, oh well. I can see pretty well, even if it's not quite as good as before.

My abscess came back, again. I'm on antibiotics, again. Seems to be helping. I go to the surgeon in about ten days to talk about a proctectomy. I have to read up on it carefully, but it looks like I've got 3 months in hospital/rehab before they'll cut my SSI. That will give me enough time (barring complications) to heal from surgery and still keep my apartment.

Got a call from the subsidized housing ppl. An apartment opened up and I was next on list, but it wasn't on the first floor, which I need to have now. She was very nice. They'll call me when one opens up on the first floor. I have to wait until my lease is up here anyway. Think January's my last month. Hope that works out, in time. I could really use the extra cash.

Not bad overall, so far.

My gaming clan friend received a liver transplant on Sunday. He was going into kidney failure, really sliding downhill fast. Unfortunately, he had a stroke, either during or just after the surgery. His kidney function is returning, but he hasn't regained consciousness, though his wife says he frowned when she told him she broke his phone.

Must be nice to be someone who prays, who has the feeling they can actually help.

PastTense 09-11-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21850898)
Got a call from the subsidized housing ppl. An apartment opened up and I was next on list, but it wasn't on the first floor, which I need to have now. She was very nice. They'll call me when one opens up on the first floor. I have to wait until my lease is up here anyway. Think January's my last month. Hope that works out, in time. I could really use the extra cash.

I don't think it is a reasonable belief that a subsidized housing apartment will open up exactly when your lease runs out. Instead it will probably open up before it runs out or after you have to sign a new lease. So you need to grab it when it becomes available.

Anyway best wishes.

Mama Zappa 09-11-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastTense (Post 21854021)
I don't think it is a reasonable belief that a subsidized housing apartment will open up exactly when your lease runs out. Instead it will probably open up before it runs out or after you have to sign a new lease. So you need to grab it when it becomes available.

Anyway best wishes.

Seconded.

Check into your current lease; it may allow you to go month-to-month once the lease is up. That would give you a bit more flexibility.

If you have a chance at a second-floor apartment in a building with an elevator, would that do? There's the risk there that if the power goes out (or if the elevator malfunctions) you'd be stuck upstairs, so I'd personally be leery of it unless you were able to go down the stairs in an emergency. My in-laws, when looking for a condo, specifically wanted one on the ground floor for that reason.

Congrats on getting the eyes done. I've been able to get by with drugstore reading glasses, though that's partly because I got the multifocal implants. That might or might not be something you could do (they do make over-the-counter bifocals) in the future, as a cost saving measure. Ugh on the abscess. What a literal pain in the ass :(.

And my sympathies to your friend and his family - how terrifying for all of them, and what an utterly unfortunate outcome of such life-altering surgery.

Snowboarder Bo 09-11-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Zappa (Post 21854099)
Seconded.

Check into your current lease; it may allow you to go month-to-month once the lease is up. That would give you a bit more flexibility.

In many states, after an lease has expired, the arrangements can continue on a month-to-month basis as long as both parties agree. FILB, speak to your landlord about your situation; most are perfectly willing to continue having a good tenant indefinitely IME.

For instance, I rented a house for 15.5 years before I bought my house but I only ever signed a lease twice. When the first expired, we just continued under those terms. 8 or 9 years later, my landlord was trying to secure a loan and he needed a new lease to show the creditors, so we signed a new one. That one held for the next 7.5 years, despite expiring after just a year.

I paid the rent on time and handled minor repairs myself (sending him the bill for materials, natch); landlords love renters they can trust. I even gave him 60 days notice when I was leaving, even tho I only had to give him 30 days notice. He was good to me (decent, cheap house) and I tried to be good to him; it worked well for both of us.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 09-11-2019 04:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I will be going month-to-month after my lease is up. I'm not counting on exact timing there, just hoping for sometime after my 1-year lease is up. VERY SOON after it is up would be preferred, of course. :)

MAMA ZAPPA, the multifocus implants sound like the coolest sort of sci-fi. My insurance wouldn't pay for it, though. I expect you paid for the lens upgrade yourself. Nice, though. Overall, my vision is bright and colorful, though I get a bit of weirdness from light hitting the edges of the lens, as I understand it. It's supposed to diminish with time.

I'm about a week from my consult with my surgeon. Not looking forward to the ordeal that will be. Hope I can get my SSI straightened around and they will do what their website seems to say - pay me for 3 months while I'm in the hospital or rehab. That's essential to my keeping my apartment. Don't think I'll have the money to get a new place if I lose this one. If I get the new place, it will enable me to save more for emergencies.

My friend has responded to verbal commands yesterday. He opens his eyes (somewhat, according to his wife), and can move his feet. He touched his chest with his right hand, and then his left hand, when directed to. Bilateral movement, understands and responds to verbal commands. It's a promising start.