Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   R.I.P. Terry Jones (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=888829)

panache45 01-22-2020 07:11 AM

R.I.P. Terry Jones

Monty Python's Terry Jones has left us. He was 77 and suffered from dementia.

vislor 01-22-2020 07:18 AM

I'm sorry for his families loss. And this makes me sad.

I grew up on Monty Python and their movies, like Erik the Viking.

RIP

JoseB 01-22-2020 07:33 AM

Fuck.

Here is a link to a BBC article with a retrospective on his figure and comments from his friends:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51209197

Prof. Pepperwinkle 01-22-2020 07:37 AM

Pfui.

Maserschmidt 01-22-2020 07:49 AM

Damn. They all seemed forever.

Bijou Drains 01-22-2020 07:52 AM

very sorry to hear this. :(

Robot Arm 01-22-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoseB (Post 22094068)
Here is a link to a BBC article with a retrospective on his figure and comments from his friends:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51209197

From his family's statement:
Quote:

"We hope that this disease will one day be eradicated entirely. We ask that our privacy be respected at this sensitive time and give thanks that we lived in the presence of an extraordinarily talented, playful and happy man living a truly authentic life, in his words 'Lovingly frosted with glucose.'"

Llama Llogophile 01-22-2020 08:08 AM

Splunge. :(

Elendil's Heir 01-22-2020 08:08 AM

I will always think of him as the nude organist; as Mandy, the mother of Brian called Brian; as Sir Bedevere; as Prince "What, the curtains?" Herbert; as the married man being bothered in the pub by the "nudge nudge wink wink" guy; and as Mr. Milton, owner of the Whizzo Chocolate Co. Jones was an absolutely integral part of Monty Python, including directing or co-directing all their movies, and was a noted writer besides. Quite a guy. He will be missed.

May he rest in peace.

DrFidelius 01-22-2020 08:11 AM

'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!!

Biotop 01-22-2020 08:12 AM

There is not a much better gift to give the world than laughter. Thanks, Terry. Rest in peace.

MrDibble 01-22-2020 08:14 AM

Damn. I love Python, and of all the Pythons, I loved his non-Python work the best - the history shows, the work with Froud...

...think I'll crack open my copy of Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book tonight...

terentii 01-22-2020 08:15 AM

I shall think of him the next time I sleep with a lady! :o

RIP :(

Mind's Eye, Watering 01-22-2020 08:32 AM

Farewell, Mr Creosote.

Rest in Peace, Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern Schplenden Schlitter Crasscrenbon Fried Digger Dangle Dungle Burstein von Knacker Thrasher Apple Banger Horowitz Ticolensic Grander Knotty Spelltinkle Grandlich Grumblemeyer Spelterwasser Kürstlich Himbleeisen Bahnwagen Gutenabend Bitte Eine Nürnburger Bratwustle Gerspurten mit Zweimache Luber Hundsfut Gumberaber Shönendanker Kalbsfleisch Mittler Raucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

Patch 01-22-2020 08:40 AM

I"m currently reading his book Chaucer's Knight: The Portrait of a Medieval Mercenary, which is an interesting investigation of the knight in the time of Chaucer. He has another interesting book, Who Murdered Chaucer?: A Medieval Mystery. Both are worth the read.

silenus 01-22-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFidelius (Post 22094124)
'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!!

'e's only resting.

Two Many Cats 01-22-2020 08:41 AM

Not bad for a five foot nine inch weed with two sheds.

I knew he had a terrible sickness. Maybe this is better for him now. But the rest of the world is sad, including me.

Elmer J. Fudd 01-22-2020 08:43 AM

He was always my favorite pepper pot.

Bumbershoot 01-22-2020 08:48 AM

Very sorry to see the headline this morning.

One of the funniest scenes in one of the funniest movies ever made.

"Dennis! There's some lovely filth down 'ere!"

Slow Moving Vehicle 01-22-2020 08:55 AM

Another Python gone. Goddammit.

Rest in peace, Terry - you will be remembered forever, any time someone burns a witch, or vomits on a waiter's leg, or listens to the "Galaxy Song" as their husband is having his liver hacked out.

What Exit? 01-22-2020 08:59 AM

Damn

Thank you Mr. Jones for all the entertainment and laughs you provided.

MacTech 01-22-2020 09:43 AM

I’m sorry to hear of his passing, at least his brain won’t hurt anymore... :(

I hope they have Crymanthesums at his memorial, stems up

Loach 01-22-2020 09:55 AM

For someone with such a brilliant mind having it erode away is an unimaginable horror. I hope he’s at peace.

JohnM 01-22-2020 09:57 AM

My wife and I went to London in 2014 to see Monty Python Live (Mostly) at the O2. If they want to do a Still Mostly Live they need to hurry before they drop to 50% of the cast.

So long, Terry, and have as much Spam as you want.

Ukulele Ike 01-22-2020 10:01 AM

Jones wrote, directed, and starred in the 1996 live-action film The Wind in the Willows.

The excellent cast included Eric Idle as Rat, Steve Coogan (of The Trip) as Mole, Nichol Williamson as Badger, Stephen Fry as the Judge, John Cleese as the Barrister, and Jones himself, in greenface, as Toad. Plus a lot of splendidly attired evil Weasels. And some delightful songs.

Stupid Disney botched the U.S. release, so barely anyone knows about this movie. It lives up to Terry Jones’ creative standards, which is high praise indeed.

Dig it up online and Treat yourself to a viewing tonight, while drinking a toast to his memory.

Ukulele Ike 01-22-2020 10:02 AM

Was Terry a Cambridge Python or an Oxford Python?

raventhief 01-22-2020 10:11 AM

I'm saddened by this news. Tonight I shall need some laughter of the pythonesque variety.

Farewell.

Exapno Mapcase 01-22-2020 10:19 AM

His book Barbarians is an excellent re-evaluation of the subject.

One-third down, two-thirds dottering. We live in a terrible age.

Gyrate 01-22-2020 10:29 AM

Two down, four to go.

:(

Guest-starring: Id! 01-22-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robot Arm (Post 22094113)
From his family's statement:

"in his words 'Lovingly frosted with glucose.'"" got a definite bittersweet chuckle.

Hopefully Mr. Snivelling Little Rat Faced Git is enjoying his disembowelling and smearing mucous and catarrh party up there.

R.I.P.

Elendil's Heir 01-22-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terentii (Post 22094141)
I shall think of him the next time I sleep with a lady!....

What's it like?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering (Post 22094166)
...Rest in Peace, Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern Schplenden Schlitter Crasscrenbon Fried Digger Dangle Dungle Burstein von Knacker Thrasher Apple Banger Horowitz Ticolensic Grander Knotty Spelltinkle Grandlich Grumblemeyer Spelterwasser Kürstlich Himbleeisen Bahnwagen Gutenabend Bitte Eine Nürnburger Bratwustle Gerspurten mit Zweimache Luber Hundsfut Gumberaber Shönendanker Kalbsfleisch Mittler Raucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

A moving tribute indeed, but he didn't play Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern Schplenden Schlitter Crasscrenbon Fried Digger Dangle Dungle Burstein von Knacker Thrasher Apple Banger Horowitz Ticolensic Grander Knotty Spelltinkle Grandlich Grumblemeyer Spelterwasser Kürstlich Himbleeisen Bahnwagen Gutenabend Bitte Eine Nürnburger Bratwustle Gerspurten mit Zweimache Luber Hundsfut Gumberaber Shönendanker Kalbsfleisch Mittler Raucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

Rather, he played his only surviving relative, Karl Gambolputty de von Ausfern Schplenden Schlitter Crasscrenbon Fried Digger Dangle Dungle Burstein von Knacker Thrasher Apple Banger Horowitz Ticolensic Grander Knotty Spelltinkle Grandlich Grumblemeyer Spelterwasser Kürstlich Himbleeisen Bahnwagen Gutenabend Bitte Eine Nürnburger Bratwustle Gerspurten mit Zweimache Luber Hundsfut Gumberaber Shönendanker Kalbsfleisch Mittler Raucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike (Post 22094355)
Was Terry a Cambridge Python or an Oxford Python?

Oxford: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Jones#Early_life

Gatopescado 01-22-2020 10:37 AM

Watched Brian and Grail yesterday on IFC. Had no idea he had passed. Knew he was very ill.

Bummer.

cochrane 01-22-2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFidelius (Post 22094124)

Quote:

Originally Posted by silenus (Post 22094186)
'e's only resting.

'E's just pinin' for the fjords.

Gyrate 01-22-2020 10:47 AM

Anecdote: I met him back in 2009 (along with assorted other Pythons and retinue). A really, genuinely nice man. Always looked extremely embarrassed at people making a fuss over him but was always willing to chat or have a selfie taken.

Even then, however, he was having some memory issues. A sad end to a lovely man.

Elendil's Heir 01-22-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cochrane (Post 22094435)
'E's just pinin' for the fjords.

And 'is plumage don't enter into it.

scabpicker 01-22-2020 10:52 AM

Damn, first time he made me sad.

Bye, Mr. Jones!

Shoeless 01-22-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panache45 (Post 22094046)
Monty Python's Terry Jones has left us. He was 77 and suffered from dementia.

I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that. Could you perhaps try in a higher register?

RIP Terry. :(
Dementia sucks... going through it with my mother-in-law, who is down to about a two minute loop these days.

Ukulele Ike 01-22-2020 11:20 AM

Thanks, Elendil’s Heir.. For the record,

Chapman, Cleese, Idle: Cambridge.
Jones and Palin: Oxford.

Gilliam, being a Yank, attended Occidental College in L.A.

K364 01-22-2020 11:29 AM

He was a very naughty boy.

Seriously, one of my favourites along with Chapman.

He played the loon and the straightman with total conviction.

kenobi 65 01-22-2020 12:42 PM

Alas. I had known that he'd been dealing with dementia for a couple of years, so it's not unexpected, but it's still very sad.

Jones and Palin were my two favorite of the Pythons, though that's a little bit like asking which are your favorite children, as they were all brilliant.

Godspeed, Mrs. S.C.U.M.

ftg 01-22-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle (Post 22094212)
Another Python gone. Goddammit.

Oh, he's a goner all right. Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink.

Say no more.

Stephe96 01-22-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering (Post 22094166)
Farewell, Mr Creosote.

Rest in Peace, Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern Schplenden Schlitter Crasscrenbon Fried Digger Dangle Dungle Burstein von Knacker Thrasher Apple Banger Horowitz Ticolensic Grander Knotty Spelltinkle Grandlich Grumblemeyer Spelterwasser Kürstlich Himbleeisen Bahnwagen Gutenabend Bitte Eine Nürnburger Bratwustle Gerspurten mit Zweimache Luber Hundsfut Gumberaber Shönendanker Kalbsfleisch Mittler Raucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

Condolences to his wife, Sarah... Gambolputty de von Ausfern Schplenden Schlitter Crasscrenbon Fried Digger Dangle Dungle Burstein von Knacker Thrasher Apple Banger Horowitz Ticolensic Grander Knotty Spelltinkle Grandlich Grumblemeyer Spelterwasser Kürstlich Himbleeisen Bahnwagen Gutenabend Bitte Eine Nürnburger Bratwustle Gerspurten mit Zweimache Luber Hundsfut Gumberaber Shönendanker Kalbsfleisch Mittler Raucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

wolf_meister 01-22-2020 04:14 PM

I was really surprised to hear this especially, since it's not being widely reported.
Nonetheless, being an ardent Python fan it is sad to hear that another one has passed on. :(
R.I.P. Terry

janis_and_c0 01-22-2020 05:14 PM

The best rat-bag woman in the business. Farewell.

Mahaloth 01-22-2020 05:59 PM

I hope John Cleese does another eulogy. He tweeted out "two down, four to go" this morning.

Snowboarder Bo 01-22-2020 06:49 PM

Thank you, Mr. Jones; you done good. RIP.

NDP 01-22-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahaloth (Post 22095358)
I hope John Cleese does another eulogy. He tweeted out "two down, four to go" this morning.

That's funny but it would been funnier if he added, "Oh, spiffy! Two down, four to go!"

Sherrerd 01-22-2020 07:14 PM

Sad news, and sadder about his final years. He gave a lot of people a lot of pleasure.

outlierrn 01-22-2020 09:27 PM

He's dead, but he's not necessarily out of it.

rowrrbazzle 01-22-2020 11:06 PM

From Stephen Fry https://twitter.com/stephenfry/statu...68120686813184
Quote:

Farewell, Terry Jones. The great foot has come down to stamp on you. My god what pleasure you gave, what untrammelled joy and delight. What a wonderful talent, heart and mind.