Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   About This Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So which other current events are not acceptable for the elections forum? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=875937)

Budget Player Cadet 05-22-2019 08:54 AM

So which other current events are not acceptable for the elections forum?
 
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...89&postcount=3

Okay, I admit, I'm kind of at a loss here. My first attempt was, admittedly, more ranty than it should have been by a mile and a half. Fine. But this is a serious topic worthy of discussion. A recent news expose has shown that the USA is doing something shocking and horrific. Is this just fundamentally not a topic for the Elections forum? Because there's like... one paragraph of mild editorializing there - an attempt to put this report into broader context - and everything else is just straight taken from news reports on the subject.

To put it another way: I would like to discuss how the US is systematically torturing detainees in ICE detainment centers outside of the pit. Is there a way to do this? Or is it just fundamentally not okay? And if so: why?

(And if you're not going to leave it open in Elections, could you at least leave the one open that I actually put some decent work into writing, rather than the one I tossed out on my phone in 5 minutes on the way to work?)

Or is there a rule I wasn't aware of where if you start a debate and it gets sent to the pit, you can't try again with a less inflammatory framing?

Telemark 05-22-2019 09:00 AM

The threads you start a thread without "Nazi" in the title probably stand a better chance of staying in Elections. I don't think it had a lot to do with the subject matter.

Gyrate 05-22-2019 09:03 AM

Speaking only for myself (and IANA Mod), there was nothing in either the original or the "upgraded" version of your threads that put the focus squarely on the electoral effects of the torture policies. The first version was clearly quite ranty but even a less ranty version probably belonged more in GD than Elections.

If you want a "Will the current administration's torture practices have an effect on the next election" thread, that'd go in Elections.

Heffalump and Roo 05-22-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet (Post 21656326)
To put it another way: I would like to discuss how the US is systematically torturing detainees in ICE detainment centers outside of the pit.

I read the OP in Elections. What are you planning on discussing about this?

It's bad. Is there any other angle?

It still seems like a rant to me. Those go in the Pit.

Jonathan Chance 05-22-2019 09:10 AM

I don't have a lot of time, but I'll do my best for the moment.

There were a couple of things at work here.

First, you are lucky Bone got to your first thread before me. I'd have certainly closed it and given you a warning for such in either GD or Elections.

Second, you started that second thread almost immediately after the first was relocated. It seemed less an attempt at discussion than at attempt at continuing the rant outside of the Pit. This violates one rule clearly and implies another violation.

The explicit rule is:

Quote:

Do not post the same or similar messages or threads to multiple forums; multiple threads on the same topic; or an excessive number of threads on any topic within a limited period of time.
I'd say starting two threads on the same topic in an hour clearly crosses this line.

Second, it appeared you were trying to end run - as I said before - around Bone's action to keep the rant in the Pit where such belongs.

Also, as stated by others up thread. You thread(s) had nothing to do with Elections and would, if posted properly without the ranting, have been better suited for Great Debates.

I certainly have no list of topics that are somehow inappropriate for Elections. But it's nice if there's SOMEthing concerning the ballot process or some other electioneering thing in them.

Budget Player Cadet 05-22-2019 09:17 AM

Duly noted. I was under the impression it was also a fitting place for political current events:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=875745
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=875515
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=875473
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=875343

And so on. The impact this might have on an election... Well, I dunno, I guess it is too much to ask to imagine that republicans would care more about this than they care about, to name a random example, a yearbook being recalled because of rude hand gestures.

I think you're right, I need to take a break. Thinking about politics is leaving me feeling powerless, angry, and downright violent. While not an excuse, I am currently withdrawing from my medication, which may explain how little patience I have for this.

Kent Clark 05-22-2019 03:20 PM

I look forward to to the 220 campaign trail and supporters of the current ICE system are called on to support it while directly facing constituents and their opponents. I bet at that time it WILL be appropriate for the Elections forum.

BigT 05-22-2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance (Post 21656359)
I don't have a lot of time, but I'll do my best for the moment.

There were a couple of things at work here.

First, you are lucky Bone got to your first thread before me. I'd have certainly closed it and given you a warning for such in either GD or Elections.

If Bone is the one who performed the moderation, then he is the only one who can actually answer why he moderated in a particular way. If you barely have time, then why respond at all, and not let Bone do it?

Oh, and such a Warning would have been improper because he does not have a history of performing that action. And you admit it would have just what you assumed he was doing.

You see, we are in fact allowed to have two threads about an issue, one in the Pit and one outside the Pit. This happens all the time. There is no reason to assume he was trying to evade anything. It would make more sense to assume he was trying to correct the issue that got the thread moved to the Pit.

It is unreasonable that you continue to see BPC as someone who is deliberately trying to get away with breaking the rules. Such is so often your accusation against him, but this has never been shown to be true.

Bone 05-22-2019 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 21657879)
If Bone is the one who performed the moderation, then he is the only one who can actually answer why he moderated in a particular way. If you barely have time, then why respond at all, and not let Bone do it?

Oh, and such a Warning would have been improper because he does not have a history of performing that action. And you admit it would have just what you assumed he was doing.

You see, we are in fact allowed to have two threads about an issue, one in the Pit and one outside the Pit. This happens all the time. There is no reason to assume he was trying to evade anything. It would make more sense to assume he was trying to correct the issue that got the thread moved to the Pit.

It is unreasonable that you continue to see BPC as someone who is deliberately trying to get away with breaking the rules. Such is so often your accusation against him, but this has never been shown to be true.

There's quite a bit wrong here and I think it may be helpful to you to explain.

First - the moderation that is being discussed in this thread is the thread locking that JC did.
Second - even if I was the one that performed the original moderation, this doesn't preclude other moderators from acting of their own volition. We tend to avoid that so it doesn't appear schizophrenic, but it's not an unavailable tool. All moderators are peers.
Third - I don't think you get to adjudicate what is proper or improper.
Fourth - a history of performing an action isn't a requirement when moderating a certain action.
Fifth - Sometimes, a quick response that acknowledges the issue is better than a delayed response. It's case by case.

The other stuff I also disagree with, but those are more opinion based so I'll leave it at that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.