Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Woman makes stupid choice, gets mad at results (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=867011)

Flyer 12-10-2018 04:12 PM

Woman makes stupid choice, gets mad at results
 
Remember the airline agent recently who laughed at a girl's name?

A pregnant woman's family made fun of the name she had picked out for her child. Much huffiness and drama ensued.

Quote:

A pregnant woman called off her baby shower after her family ridiculed the name she had bestowed on her unborn son: Squire Sebastian Senator.

In a Facebook post, which later went viral after being shared on Reddit, the woman — who has not been named — explained her decision to cancel her baby shower, blaming her “fake a** family.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...ed/ar-BBQJAfW?

Not too surprisingly, she managed to miss the whole point. Kudos to her family for trying to head off this nonsense at the pass.

Roderick Femm 12-10-2018 04:35 PM

I was in the same dormitory at college with a gentleman whose first name was "Governor." At least that's what he went by. I don't know if it was short for anything.

He went on to have a successful law career, so apparently it didn't hold him back in any obvious way. On the other hand, he never became an actual governor.

RTFirefly 12-10-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roderick Femm (Post 21370828)
I was in the same dormitory at college with a gentleman whose first name was "Governor." At least that's what he went by. I don't know if it was short for anything.

He went on to have a successful law career, so apparently it didn't hold him back in any obvious way. On the other hand, he never became an actual governor.

Had a dorm-mate with the first name of "Prince." No, not the late recording artist. And this was back in 1972, so obviously not inspired by His Purpleness, either.

FairyChatMom 12-10-2018 05:14 PM

When I was working at NAS Jax, we hired an engineer whose first name is Major. And one of the welders was named "General Lee" - for reals - not a fake name. In a different office was a secretary who named her daughters Star and Sparkle, and another woman, last name Winters, who named her daughter Stormie.

Each to his own, I guess...

Beckdawrek 12-10-2018 05:19 PM

I grew up with a very unusual surname. Married to a simple last name, that also is the name of an object. I'll take the unusual one. My married name is often made fun of, and mis-spelled into a dirty word.

pulykamell 12-10-2018 05:29 PM

That's it? Squire Sebastian Senator? All things considered, I don't find that that far out there as baby names are concerned. I mean, I was conservative in naming my kids, but, maybe I'm just nuts, but I would even have noticed that name if I came across it.

mixdenny 12-10-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21370905)
I grew up with a very unusual surname. Married to a simple last name, that also is the name of an object. I'll take the unusual one. My married name is often made fun of, and mis-spelled into a dirty word.

Mulva?

Dennis

Chronos 12-10-2018 05:42 PM

I've always said that if you want to give your kid a crazy, creative name, that's what the middle name is for, and pair it with something conventional for the first name. That way, they can decide for themselves whether to embrace or ignore it.

Hilarity N. Suze 12-10-2018 05:43 PM

All right, I'm just gonna say that when I lived in Oklahoma, I knew so many people with names like "Squire." Just off the top of my head one of my mother's friends was Duchess and one was Queenie. We had Kings, we had Dukes, we had Earls (no Dukes of Earl though--well, probably, I just didn't know one). We had Barons. We had Caesars. We had Generals. We had Majors. Let me just say, when I read Catch 22 I did not think Major Major Major was all that strange. My mother's last boyfriend before she married my father (in 1932) was named Prince. (Huh, I could've been a Princess!)

Squire Sebastian Senator seems like overkill, and she definitely sounded like she missed the entire point, but it's not the worst baby name I've ever heard.

Oh, I just remembered a friend of mine who lived between the Castles and the Pallases. One of them, I forget which, gave all their kids these super elevated names to go with the last name, like "Lady Pallas," for instance (an example; I don't actually remember, it might have been "Lady Castle." Those kids were way younger than we were).

lingyi 12-10-2018 05:52 PM

I have dibs on "Prime". The name of a kid who frequented a store I ran. He seemed pretty run of the mill, but thought it was awesome the other kids thought so much of him. When I asked why he was called Prime, I was told it was his real name!

There was also a Filipino girl named Irish (which of course I know isn't uncommon), and I said I'd name my daughter "Japanese" and my son "Okinawan!" :D

monstro 12-10-2018 05:53 PM

I was expecting a much worse name than that. Compared to Abcd, Squire Senator is very pedestrian.

I don't think the family should have made fun of the name. Once a name is announced, the polite thing to do is smile, nod, and then talk shit about it behind the parents' backs.

But I don't think she should be blowing them out of the water on social media.

Beckdawrek 12-10-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mixdenny (Post 21370927)
Mulva?

Dennis

Nooooo! Anywhoo that wouldn't be a dirty word. And it's not 'Muck' either.

silenus 12-10-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstro (Post 21370964)
I was expecting a much worse name than that. Compared to Abcd, Squire Senator is very pedestrian.

I don't think the family should have made fun of the name. Once a name is announced, the polite thing to do is smile, nod, and then talk shit about it behind the parents' backs.

But I don't think she should be blowing them out of the water on social media.

She went Librarian-poo because she told the family that they were under no circumstances to give him any sort of nickname, and always refer to him by all three first names as a unit.

Bitch be crazy, and the family was right to call her on her bullshit.

pulykamell 12-10-2018 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silenus (Post 21371011)
, and always refer to him by all three first names as a unit.

OK, that's a bit odd. I just assumed everyone would default to "Sebastian" or even "Squire." All three is a bit much, but I have difficulty believing the story as told.

monstro 12-10-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulykamell (Post 21371023)
OK, that's a bit odd. I just assumed everyone would default to "Sebastian" or even "Squire." All three is a bit much, but I have difficulty believing the story as told.

Me too. I think this is yet another Russian attempt to sow discord among the American people.

mbh 12-10-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roderick Femm (Post 21370828)
I was in the same dormitory at college with a gentleman whose first name was "Governor." At least that's what he went by. I don't know if it was short for anything.

He went on to have a successful law career, so apparently it didn't hold him back in any obvious way. On the other hand, he never became an actual governor.

That one's not so odd.
Gouverneur Morris was one of the Founding Fathers. His son, Gouverneur Morris II, was a railroad tycoon. Gouverneur Morris IV was a novelist.

lingyi 12-10-2018 06:53 PM

And of course, Grace Slick almost had everyone beat by saying the chosen name for her daughter was 'god', with a small 'g' to stay humble.

And I'm always amazed that people name their children Jesus or Mohammed. Squire and Prince are nothing compared to that. I also worked with a girl named Queena, though it's because it's a quirk of the romanization of her name in Korean.

Chefguy 12-10-2018 06:59 PM

When I was 19, I worked with a guy by the name of King Middleton.

needscoffee 12-10-2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstro (Post 21370964)
I was expecting a much worse name than that. Compared to Abcd, Squire Senator is very pedestrian.

The name was "Abcde", not "Abcd" - evidently ANY name can be misspelled!

Spiderman 12-10-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by needscoffee (Post 21371071)
The name was "Abcde", not "Abcd" - evidently ANY name can be misspelled!

Only by someone who doesn't know the alphabet! ;)

monstro 12-10-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by needscoffee (Post 21371071)
The name was "Abcde", not "Abcd" - evidently ANY name can be misspelled!

Abcd is the diminutive form of Abcde. Didn't you get the memo?

Beckdawrek 12-10-2018 08:09 PM

The absolute strangest ( or maybe not) name I heard was a kid called 'Boy', yes he was a boy. I thought, "really? You are so anti-something you couldn't give your kid a real name?" Turns out it was a nick-name for 'Boyette', apparently a family name.

Tibby 12-10-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21370905)
I grew up with a very unusual surname. Married to a simple last name, that also is the name of an object. I'll take the unusual one. My married name is often made fun of, and mis-spelled into a dirty word.

Becky Bickhead from Biggers Arkansas … is that you?!?

pabstist 12-10-2018 11:20 PM

My wife had a student named Lord William Butters Singleton III. He is now a police officer here, and I wonder what he is called, Officer Butters? Lord Officer the Third? Now mind you, he is neither a Lord nor the Third.

Treppenwitz 12-11-2018 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21371138)
The absolute strangest ( or maybe not) name I heard was a kid called 'Boy', yes he was a boy. I thought, "really? You are so anti-something you couldn't give your kid a real name?" Turns out it was a nick-name for 'Boyette', apparently a family name.

Not this Boy, then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_van_Poppel

j

Treppenwitz 12-11-2018 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos (Post 21370949)
I've always said that if you want to give your kid a crazy, creative name, that's what the middle name is for, and pair it with something conventional for the first name. That way, they can decide for themselves whether to embrace or ignore it.

Doesn't always turn out the way you think. I'll change the names for obvious reasons, but we chose a trad, family one (let's say Mary) and an unusual one (let's say Siobhan - it was unusual enough that it drew responses like Really?? Oh, ah......).

By the time school rolls around, Mary sounds like a name from the last century but one; and there are 3 other Siobhans in the same class.

It's a funny thing, the zeitgeist.

j

GreenWyvern 12-11-2018 04:02 AM

Bill Lear, the founder of the Lear Jet Corporation, named his daughter Shanda Lear.

septimus 12-11-2018 04:06 AM

My sister was a government worker and tells of one application she processed:

Name: 1142 South First Street
(Ok, she's thinking; just get the form lines mixed.)
Address: Same as Name.

PatrickLondon 12-11-2018 04:41 AM

I heard of some people called Shine who named their daughter Raina.

There are people who collect lists of these things, and books devoted to them:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...of_Real_People

kayaker 12-11-2018 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21370989)
Nooooo! Anywhoo that wouldn't be a dirty word. And it's not 'Muck' either.

Bildo?

kayaker 12-11-2018 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer (Post 21370783)
Kudos to her family for trying to head off this nonsense at the pass.

Really? Risking possible long term estrangement over the choice of a name for her child? Do they think their ridicule will make her change her mind?

Acsenray 12-11-2018 06:42 AM

One of my high school classmates’ fathers was named “Squire.” He must be 70-80 years old now. He seemed pretty normal.

FairyChatMom 12-11-2018 07:29 AM

The man we bought our house from was named Swepson. I'm assuming it was a family name, since he was a Jr, but it's right up there with unique names. His wife's name was Mary, so her common balanced his rarity, I guess...

manson1972 12-11-2018 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21370989)
Nooooo! Anywhoo that wouldn't be a dirty word. And it's not 'Muck' either.

Hunt?

MrAtoz 12-11-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lingyi (Post 21371053)
And I'm always amazed that people name their children Jesus or Mohammed. Squire and Prince are nothing compared to that. I also worked with a girl named Queena, though it's because it's a quirk of the romanization of her name in Korean.

"Mohammad" is, by most accounts, the most common given name in the world. And while "Jesus" isn't a very common name in English-speaking cultures (although it's very common among Spanish speakers), its cognate "Joshua" is not unusual at all.

DesertDog 12-11-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulykamell (Post 21371023)
OK, that's a bit odd. I just assumed everyone would default to "Sebastian" or even "Squire." All three is a bit much, but I have difficulty believing the story as told.

Besides, how can he tell if his Mom's getting annoyed?

"Bobby... Bobby... Robert!... Robert William Conagher!!"

"Gotta go, guys."

Slow Moving Vehicle 12-11-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21371138)
The absolute strangest ( or maybe not) name I heard was a kid called 'Boy', yes he was a boy. I thought, "really? You are so anti-something you couldn't give your kid a real name?" Turns out it was a nick-name for 'Boyette', apparently a family name.

“Boy Mulcaster” is the name of a character in Brideshead Revisited. But it’s not clear if that’s his given name or a nickname.

Filbert 12-11-2018 08:30 AM

If the story's true at all, it sounds like we've come in at stage 2 or 3 of the argument. 'Squire' by itself isn't too odd. From reading the link, it looks like family were automatically shortening it to that because the full thing is clearly really impractical. Unfortunately, crazy-lady wants everyone to use a 3 part first name every time, and was then getting angry at people calling the baby 'Squire'. It's someone getting angry at friends and family calling baby Rebecca 'Becky', dialled upto 11.

People probably weren't bothered so much by the words themselves- as a first and two middle names it'd be pretty low in the weird name stakes- but the mother's reaction to anyone shortening it to something usable. No one wants to spend time with someone being so angry and controlling.

Ludovic 12-11-2018 08:36 AM

At least she didn't insist on her first choice which would have forced them to always use "Squire Sebastian Senator of Ulm".

Beckdawrek 12-11-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filbert (Post 21371713)
If the story's true at all, it sounds like we've come in at stage 2 or 3 of the argument. 'Squire' by itself isn't too odd. From reading the link, it looks like family were automatically shortening it to that because the full thing is clearly really impractical. Unfortunately, crazy-lady wants everyone to use a 3 part first name every time, and was then getting angry at people calling the baby 'Squire'. It's someone getting angry at friends and family calling baby Rebecca 'Becky', dialled upto 11.

People probably weren't bothered so much by the words themselves- as a first and two middle names it'd be pretty low in the weird name stakes- but the mother's reaction to anyone shortening it to something usable. No one wants to spend time with someone being so angry and controlling.

Hey!

Jackmannii 12-11-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roderick Femm (Post 21370828)
I was in the same dormitory at college with a gentleman whose first name was "Governor." At least that's what he went by. I don't know if it was short for anything.

He went on to have a successful law career, so apparently it didn't hold him back in any obvious way.

Lawyer Milloy never went to law school as far as I know, but he was a pretty good pro football player.

Jasmine 12-11-2018 09:19 AM

I think, "Son of Psycho Mom", would be more apropos. :eek:

Kelevra 12-11-2018 09:19 AM

My half brother named his son Falling Rain and his daughter Tashina Rainbow. We call them Rainy and Tashina.
I used to work with Janice Hurlbutt. It was her married name. I think I would have kept my maiden name...

CookingWithGas 12-11-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mixdenny (Post 21370927)
Mulva?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21370989)
Nooooo! Anywhoo that wouldn't be a dirty word. And it's not 'Muck' either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 21371541)
Bildo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson1972 (Post 21371618)
Hunt?

Well, mixdenny, I got it. It was only one of two episodes of Seinfeld I ever watched and was hilarious.

Jasmine 12-11-2018 09:28 AM

Do these kind of parents think about their kids and how they'll have to deal with a lifetime of smirks and explanations when they tell people their names?

CookingWithGas 12-11-2018 09:31 AM

I used to work for a company with a CEO whose name was Champion. He would start many of his speeches by introducing himself, then get a chuckle by saying, "My mother did that to me."

The I found out that Champion was his second middle name. So he did it to himself.

TRC4941 12-11-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelevra (Post 21371810)
My half brother named his son Falling Rain and his daughter Tashina Rainbow. We call them Rainy and Tashina.
I used to work with Janice Hurlbutt. It was her married name. I think I would have kept my maiden name...

One of my customer contact's last name is Bunshaft. UGH! Bunshaft and Hurlbutt are the kind of names you don't want to have while in junior high (middle school). :o

manson1972 12-11-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookingWithGas (Post 21371812)
Well, mixdenny, I got it. It was only one of two episodes of Seinfeld I ever watched and was hilarious.

Hey, I got it. But she said that wasn't it, so I guessed something else :)

garygnu 12-11-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookingWithGas (Post 21371845)
I used to work for a company with a CEO whose name was Champion. He would start many of his speeches by introducing himself, then get a chuckle by saying, "My mother did that to me."

The I found out that Champion was his second middle name. So he did it to himself.

I see hundreds of names each day. I once saw a "Victor Champion." And just yesterday I saw a first name of "Perfecto." I once had a repeat customer at a retail store named "Immaculate Conceptíon."

"Squire" is unusual, but nothing so terrible as an three part, eight syllable name that sounds like a real estate firm from a British stage farce.

garygnu 12-11-2018 11:55 AM

Oops, misspelled it. "Immaculate Concepción"

I also forgot to add, I wouldn't have made fun of the name if I were going to the shower, but I would have gotten the mother a copy of the children's picture book, Tikki Tikki Tembo.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.