Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   In My Humble Opinion (IMHO) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Banned from Twitter---for life? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=875608)

TroutMan 05-16-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russian heel (Post 21646808)
If you use grammar correction to win and argument you lost.

This should be "...to win an argument..."

russian heel 05-16-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroutMan (Post 21646822)
This should be "...to win an argument..."

Now I’m 2-0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russian heel 05-16-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickSilver (Post 21646772)
I am amused that OP thinks his Twitter absence will be sorely missed.

I am further amused that he shares a Twitter banning ignominy (if not notoriety) with the likes of Milo Yiannopoulos, Louis Farrakhan and Alex Jones.

Your mother must be so proud, RH.

I doubt anyone will miss me. I enjoy using the app.

Leave my mother out of it.

Enginerd 05-16-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russian heel (Post 21646836)
Now Iím 2-0.

WINNING!

You are Charlie Sheen and I claim my five pounds.

TroutMan 05-16-2019 09:43 PM

Come on, let the poor guy have his moment.

kaylasdad99 05-16-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russian heel (Post 21646641)
When you do kindly point out Posts 17 and 18 where I was personally attacked.

I said in the OP I wasnít going over the content of the Tweet because it has nothing to do with how to get back on Twitter. So why ask for it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinastasia (Post 21646667)
Because explaining WHY you got banned in the first place might HELP you get back. Duh. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by russian heel (Post 21646686)
How?

Well, maybe it wouldn't. But it might get your fellow Dopers to come around to your view that you've been treated shabbily.

kaylasdad99 05-16-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpup (Post 21646725)
Since there is an ongoing thread here about the vital role of the comma in the English language, I feel I would be remiss in not pointing out the linguistic offensiveness in that run-on comma-deprived sentence.

I mean, really, russian heel, how can you not see the essential difference between your linguistically careening "When you do kindly point out ..." and the civil and comprehensible "When you do, kindly point out ...".

You're welcome. Perhaps that is why you were banned from Twitter.

Nah, I think it was because all of his tweets ended with
Quote:

russian heel 05-16-2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 (Post 21647038)
Well, maybe it wouldn't. But it might get your fellow Dopers to come around to your view that you've been treated shabbily.

I wasn’t asking for sympathy.

I asked a simple question and in true fashion for this message board got skewered for it. Way too many smug jerks around here.

Dale Sams 05-16-2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enginerd (Post 21647021)
WINNING!

You are Charlie Sheen and I claim my five pounds.

Someday, no one is going to get this.

This is not that day.

Dale Sams 05-16-2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroutMan (Post 21647033)
Come on, let the poor guy have his moment.

He also used a Midnight Run clip as an insult. He can't be all bad.

Pardel-Lux 05-17-2019 04:23 PM

Banned from Twitter, enjoy! For a better life: you are in much better company now.
Some day you may even become a better person. And all thanks to a tasteless joke, who'd-a thunk! Congratulations!
Now try to get banned from Instabrat, Faecesbook, WhatsApp and the IRS and you will approach nirvana.

begbert2 05-17-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russian heel (Post 21647089)
I wasnít asking for sympathy.

I asked a simple question and in true fashion for this message board got skewered for it. Way too many smug jerks around here.

You got your answer already: to get back on Twitter try tricks to fool the Twitter system about your identity, and oh yeah this discussion forum isn't particularly happy with conversations about trying to get around bans from discussion forums.

Since the question is answered, what do you expect us to post about? Just repeating the same thing over and over? Fine, I will: oh yeah this discussion forum isn't particularly happy with conversations about trying to get around bans from discussion forums.

Also, your continued recalcitrance regarding admitting what you said that got you banned has now fully convinced me that your comment was in fact not innocent and you in fact deserved to get banned, and thus shouldn't be getting back on there anyway. Cheers!

Hari Seldon 05-17-2019 07:44 PM

I just want to point out that there are perfectly legitimate uses for VPN. I use it to connect to my university to get (entirely legal) access to the online journals they subscribe to. I know it can be used for illegal purposes, but then so can kitchen knives.

russian heel 05-17-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begbert2 (Post 21648659)
You got your answer already: to get back on Twitter try tricks to fool the Twitter system about your identity, and oh yeah this discussion forum isn't particularly happy with conversations about trying to get around bans from discussion forums.

Since the question is answered, what do you expect us to post about? Just repeating the same thing over and over? Fine, I will: oh yeah this discussion forum isn't particularly happy with conversations about trying to get around bans from discussion forums.

Also, your continued recalcitrance regarding admitting what you said that got you banned has now fully convinced me that your comment was in fact not innocent and you in fact deserved to get banned, and thus shouldn't be getting back on there anyway. Cheers!

You know the real reason you and others want to know the content of the Tweet. One of the geeks here will go on Twitter to look for the comment using a search bot to find out my Twitter handle, which will then turn into a fresh mocking of every single thing I ever posted there. Don’t say it’s not so I’ve already been attacked like a pack a hyenas for asking one simple question.

snfaulkner 05-17-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny Daze (Post 21646483)
I think I prefer being a weasel to a snake. They're furry and sort of cute, in a murderous way.

I miss spice weasel. *tear*

Peter Morris 05-17-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russian heel (Post 21648822)
Donít say itís not so

It's not so.

Seriously. People were trying to help you. If we knew exactly what you did, we might be able to advise you better. No ulterior motive.

raventhief 05-17-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

You know the real reason you and others want to know the content of the Tweet. One of the geeks here will go on Twitter to look for the comment using a search bot to find out my Twitter handle, which will then turn into a fresh mocking of every single thing I ever posted there. Donít say itís not so Iíve already been attacked like a pack a hyenas for asking one simple question.

Do you really feel so persecuted by the "geeks here"?

Left Hand of Dorkness 05-17-2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

You know the real reason you and others want to know the content of the Tweet. One of the geeks here will go on Twitter to look for the comment using a search bot to find out my Twitter handle, which will then turn into a fresh mocking of every single thing I ever posted there. Donít say itís not so Iíve already been attacked like a pack a hyenas for asking one simple question.

Dear heart, you thought one of my posts was insulting you, so you called me a moron using a Youtube clip. I don't need to look through your Twitterfeed to find things to mock you about.

kaylasdad99 05-17-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 (Post 21647038)

Quote:

Originally Posted by russian heel (Post 21647089)
I wasnít asking for sympathy.

Fair enough.

Quote:

OTOH, some sympathy for your plight might incline a body to provide you with a useful answer to your simple question.

Also, a nitpick: you seem to have asked TWO questions.
Quote:

Originally Posted by russian heel (Post 21645065)
Is there a tertiary appeals process? Is there a work around?

Answering the second one in any detail appears on its surface to violate SDMB policy. I hope you're able to find an answer to your first one. I, alas, do not have it.

TroutMan 05-18-2019 12:30 AM

Poor persecuted russian heel, attacked for just asking a question. Don't look at any of his other posts in this thread or others; the reason for the "attacks" is definitely just that simple question.

Guinastasia 05-18-2019 11:55 AM

Well gee with an attitude like that, I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that his appeal didn't work!

Psst -- heads up: if your account is banned, your posts are gone, so why anyone would go to the trouble of using a search bot (Da'fuck?) is beyond me. Unless it's just paranoia. But hey, you do you.

Ann Hedonia 05-18-2019 12:23 PM

I am a nasty horrible person on Twitter. It’s the one place where I allow myself to vent my frustrations. My posts are often obscene and slanderous and most of them include the hashtag #daughterfucker or some variation thereof.

I keep expecting to be banned, or at least chastised or warned, yet it has never happened.

kaylasdad99 05-18-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia (Post 21649586)
I am a nasty horrible person on Twitter. Itís the one place where I allow myself to vent my frustrations. My posts are often obscene and slanderous and most of them include the hashtag #daughterfucker or some variation thereof.

I keep expecting to be banned, or at least chastised or warned, yet it has never happened.

If they ever warn you, you have my permission to switch out #daughterfucker for #America-hatingfuckstick. it's not like I took out a trademark on the term.

BigT 05-24-2019 08:55 PM

I can't think of any forum where people would want to help you get unbanned without knowing what you said. People don't want to help if they think the banning was just.

It's nothing special about this board.