Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The Boys S1 (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=877296)

Snowboarder Bo 06-17-2019 03:58 PM

The Boys S1

I am enthusiastically waiting for 26 July so I can watch E1 of The Boys on Amazon.

2 minute trailer here.

DC;DW: Seems to be a darkly humorous show about a secret superhero group that acts when other superheros abuse their powers/positions.

I like the look, I like the tone, and I like the good-for-many-metaphors milieu. The cast looks great: I like Keith Urban (he's a decent actor who's great for certain parts, plus he likes SF and comic books so he's cool ya), Elisabeth Shue is fantastic, Jessie T. Usher is apparently an up-and-coming star, Erin Moriarty, etc.

S1 is only 8 episodes but they're 60 minutes each, so they should be able to cover a fair amount of story & character(s) development.

I had no idea this show existed until today, but now I'm looking forward to it.

Ike Witt 06-17-2019 04:38 PM

I think you mean Karl not Keith.

Snowboarder Bo 06-17-2019 04:50 PM

:smack:

I swear I spell-checked and stuff, folks. Yes, Karl Urban. Thanks, Ike.

Ike Witt 06-17-2019 05:22 PM

The show itself looks pretty promising. I will give it a shot, for sure.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-17-2019 11:33 PM

Yeeeeeaaaahh. . . Keith, Karl. BIG difference. One, I dont' care, the other, I'm psyched. A dark comedy superhero series with Karl Urban? I am SOOO in. I was pissed when I found out it's not out yet. I was getting set to waste the next 24 hours on this.

GuanoLad 06-18-2019 12:55 AM

I don't like the look of this at all. It seems really ugly and gratuitously violent, which I know there are big audiences for, but I'm not one of them.

Putting that aside, though, it also seemed like it was missing something fundamental, which I can't quite pin down or explain, so I'm curious to see if it will succeed.

Go_Arachnid_Laser 06-18-2019 01:52 AM

So it seems that part of the pilot's plot consists of the Seven sending some sort of invisible killer to get rid of Wee Hughie, probably because he was suing them for his girlfriend's death.
Not a bad idea. In the comics Hughie refuses a payout, but his girlfriend's demise is still written off as colateral damage.
It looks fine and fairly close to the book... who's producing it? Let me check...
Oh. Seth Rogen and friends.
Makes sense.
I wasn't that happy with Preacher. I didn't even feel like watching season 2.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-18-2019 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser (Post 21703053)
So it seems that part of the pilot's plot consists of the Seven sending some sort of invisible killer to get rid of Wee Hughie, probably because he was suing them for his girlfriend's death.
Not a bad idea. In the comics Hughie refuses a payout, but his girlfriend's demise is still written off as colateral damage.
It looks fine and fairly close to the book... who's producing it? Let me check...
Oh. Seth Rogen and friends.
Makes sense.
I wasn't that happy with Preacher. I didn't even feel like watching season 2.

That's great news for me. I love Preacher. BTW, i feel like it picked up after the first season. They got out of town and went on the road. The town setting, and the townsfolk, were a drag. It's a pity of you never watched the season two opener. It really took off. Of course, if you followed the Preacher comics, you'd have a different perspective than I.

I'm getting a bit off-topic, but damn, there's not much to say about the Karl Urban show, unfortunately. At least it's not far away.

Go_Arachnid_Laser 06-18-2019 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank (Post 21703073)
That's great news for me. I love Preacher. BTW, i feel like it picked up after the first season.

Well, I'm glad to hear that. Maybe I'll check S2.

What bothered me from S1 was that, at some point, the writers stared ignoring the original story and wanted to develop their own off the wall ideas... and some of those ideas worked well enough (like the motel clone massacre) and some fell really flat (The meeting "God" at the church scene).

So I suspected that S2 would be more of that. But if you're telling me it picks up, I guess I can give it another chance.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 06-18-2019 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser (Post 21703095)
Well, I'm glad to hear that. Maybe I'll check S2.

What bothered me from S1 was that, at some point, the writers stared ignoring the original story and wanted to develop their own off the wall ideas... and some of those ideas worked well enough (like the motel clone massacre) and some fell really flat (The meeting "God" at the church scene).

So I suspected that S2 would be more of that. But if you're telling me it picks up, I guess I can give it another chance.

FWIW, I feel the same way about the clone massacre and the Skype meeting with God. I think the series has more hits than misses thereafter. The season 2 opener should be a good gauge for what follows...well, for season 2. Season 3 has a darker feel.

Alessan 06-18-2019 04:27 AM

I stuck with Season 2 until the characters just started hanging out in New Orleans, harassing street preachers and shooting each other in the chest. That was the point I realized that the show had nowhere to go and nothing to say.

Johnny Ecks 06-18-2019 05:20 AM

I just can’t feel optimistic about this, because the original comics were such a grim, ugly, cynical slog. Pointing out that comic book tropes don’t work in real life is like shooting fish in a barrel, but doing it by making pretty much every super, politician, and corporate executive a mass murdering psychopath and sex maniac is ridiculous overkill.

A vigilante group that works to reign in out of control “heroes” is an interesting idea. I’m not sure this is the best source material to use.

Jonathan Chance 06-18-2019 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuanoLad (Post 21703019)
I don't like the look of this at all. It seems really ugly and gratuitously violent, which I know there are big audiences for, but I'm not one of them.

Yeah, it's based on Garth Ennis' work. It's gonna be violent.

On the other hand, the comic is one of the better deconstructions of the superhero adolescent power-fantasy genre there's ever been. I loved it. So we'll see how this goes.

Snowboarder Bo 06-18-2019 10:07 AM

Fortunately for me, I have no pre-conceptions at all; didn't even know it was a comic until I read it here. The Umbrella Academy was the same for me, and The Tick (well, I knew about The Tick, natch) and I really enjoyed those.

DigitalC 06-18-2019 10:49 AM

Yeah I had no idea this was a comic either and I hope we can keep the discussion to the show only.

Snowboarder Bo 07-25-2019 02:01 PM

I plan on staying up late tonight to watch E1.

Snowboarder Bo 07-26-2019 02:13 AM

I just watched the first 3 episodes and I think this show is brilliant. Scary and funny and gory and ironic and horrifying and triumphant and just fucking brilliant.

Gotta sleep and go to work; gonna finish it tomorrow prolly.

Snowboarder Bo 07-26-2019 02:22 AM

BTW, if you've read this far and haven't turned the show on yet, be aware that this is some dark, DARK, heavy shit.

Maus Magill 07-26-2019 08:28 AM

I loved the comic and will watch the show.

Sunny Daze 07-26-2019 12:42 PM

It's definitely dark. I'm about as far along as Bo. I like it.

Scoobysnax 07-26-2019 12:53 PM

Started watching it last night but had to shut it off half way through the second episode to be able to get some sleep. Loving it so far.

I have not read the comics but this is probably one of the most realistic portrayals of how supers would probably act if they really existed. Power corrupts and absolute power would corrupt absolutely.

I liked Translucent freaking out about bootleg items infringing on their IP.

Snowboarder Bo 07-26-2019 01:46 PM

Homelander is scary as shit. Clearly mentally unhinged (prolly in part because he knows he's definitely superior to humans) and also apparently all-powerful. Scary scary stuff.

I have about 8 hours until the sun goes down here, then I'm gonna plow thru the last 5 episodes. I might watch the 1st 3 again during the afternoon, but I really like the dark theatre vibe I get when I watch shows at night; it's great for a first viewing.

DrDeth 07-26-2019 02:39 PM

Looks to me like Mystery Men, turned up to 11 with violence and grimdark. :rolleyes:

I dont see anything original.

DigitalC 07-26-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDeth (Post 21772074)
Looks to me like Mystery Men, turned up to 11 with violence and grimdark. :rolleyes:

That's not even remotely close.

Snowboarder Bo 07-26-2019 03:40 PM

*** spoilers from here on out, folks! ***

The show is deeper than I thought it would be. Lots of things coming up that echo or are directly from our world and times. In the first episode we had a guy take advantage of a young woman's naivety & ambition and his own supposed position of power over her to rape her.

We had our MP (main protagonist) Hughie's girlfriend killed off in horrific and irrevocable fashion by an authority figure with vastly more power than he has just moments into the show and him having to deal with the fact that society sees this as no big deal.

We see corporations disguising their true intent with flash and glitter; that there really IS a tiered, hierarchical society where most people are not in the top tier and are generally regarded as unimportant, interchangeable and disposable.

And we see people with power acting with impunity, being upset when they aren't getting their way and resorting to violence to impose their will.

Lots of parallels and echoes of our world, brought into stark focus in this show, IMO. Much that I didn't list, for sure.

——

I just know he's gonna do it, especially after I knew he was gonna use the word "mewling" and then he did.

Go_Arachnid_Laser 07-27-2019 05:38 AM

I really liked how they made (most) of the Boys powerless.
In the comics they took compound V and got super strength (Well, not really- they got something like "super violence", where they seemed to have regular strength except they could brutally murder supes)
But making them (except for The Female) just an efficient black ops outfit improves the story.

Snowboarder Bo 07-27-2019 10:05 AM

Watched 4-7 last night. Each episode feels like a short movie rather than a single TV episode; they really pack a lot in.

Character growth is really good; the acting and writing are both excellent, helping to carry the load in equal parts. I think it's great that Karl Urban is perhaps the worst actor (with the worst character) of the bunch. He's solid, but pretty much everyone else him is shining.

So far I haven't caught an uneven tone from the number of different directors. That was increasingly a problem for me with GoT (at least for S6 & S7) and I'm glad they seem to have gone for continuity over individual style.

The production value continues to be impressive.

———

I like Kimiko (The Female) fine; she interesting and her Wolverine-ness will surely prove useful again in the future. But I really like Cherie, Frenchie's no-nonsense waiting-for-him-to-come-back-to-her-on-pain-of-death girlfriend; she totally fucking rocks! So that triangle should be fun to see get sorted. :)

Maeve's storyline came at me out of nowhere. Not at all what I expected it was going to be.

I was glad to see Ashley get fired; I didn't care for her.

Loved the cameos they're throwing in! They really help establish this as a real albeit slightly different world than our own. And a couple of them made me Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there.

-------

I'm gonna finish the last 2 episodes tonight, so I'll prolly be out of the thread until after that.

DigitalC 07-27-2019 10:54 AM

I really liked Homelander explaining why he couldn't just carry a plane in flight.

RikWriter 07-27-2019 02:18 PM

Had some very good parts and some meh parts to it. I thought the bits with the Deep that were supposed to show pathos just sort of felt cringy. I wasn't about to feel any empathy for him given what he did in the beginning. Karl Urban was excellent and so was the guy playing Home Lander. Didn't care for A-Train that much. I never felt like the actor/script/direction or whatever was really selling his character. I loved The Female and for some reason, I also loved Black Noir.

What Exit? 07-27-2019 02:27 PM

I just blew through this series without knowing anything about it. I really enjoyed and thought the writing, pacing and acting was top-notch. Karl Urban is so very good. Erin Moriarty as Starlight and Jack Quaid were very good. Interestingly Jack is Dennis Quaid's & Meg Ryan's son.

WotNot 07-27-2019 06:17 PM

Well, I’ve seen the whole thing, and enjoyed it, but I am left with one important question: just what accent was Karl Urban aiming for, exactly?

In the comics, Billy Butcher’s English; and it did seem in the first episode like Urban was aiming for something vaguely in the London area, with occasional excursions into Essex, and the odd hint of Captain Jack Sparrow. But then it settled down as Australian – which is fine, Butcher could be Australian in the show, in the same way they changed Hughie from Scottish to American – but then why not just make him a Kiwi like Urban, and save a lot of trouble?

What Exit? 07-27-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDeth (Post 21772074)

:confused: What show were you watching?

Grrr! 07-27-2019 11:14 PM

Binged the whole thing today. And all I can say is: Wow! Just wow!

My jaw was on the floor at the end of the final episode.

Imma be pissed if we don't get a season 2.

Snowboarder Bo 07-27-2019 11:59 PM

Just finished 7 & 8; fucking brilliant. I did not see that ending coming at all.

-------

AFAICT S2 is already greenlit; IMDB shows S2 in 2020.

RikWriter 07-28-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo (Post 21774487)
Just finished 7 & 8; fucking brilliant. I did not see that ending coming at all.

-------

AFAICT S2 is already greenlit; IMDB shows S2 in 2020.

You didn't? I saw it coming from the moment I found out his wife had been pregnant. It was fairly obvious from that point on.

Tangent 07-28-2019 01:07 PM

I haven't read this thread yet, but I'm two episodes in and I really like it. Very dark, and very well made. I hope to get a few more episodes in today.

hogarth 07-28-2019 04:33 PM

Watching the third episode, I recognised the scene they shot outside of my workplace (Homelander and Queen Maeve are talking to a SWAT team member in front of a bank robbery). At the time, I assumed they were filming the TV series "Titans" (because of the woman in the Wonder Woman knock-off outfit), but I guess I was wrong.

DrDeth 07-28-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WotNot (Post 21774178)
Well, I’ve seen the whole thing, and enjoyed it, but I am left with one important question: just what accent was Karl Urban aiming for, exactly?

In the comics, Billy Butcher’s English; and it did seem in the first episode like Urban was aiming for something vaguely in the London area, with occasional excursions into Essex, and the odd hint of Captain Jack Sparrow. But then it settled down as Australian – which is fine, Butcher could be Australian in the show, in the same way they changed Hughie from Scottish to American – but then why not just make him a Kiwi like Urban, and save a lot of trouble?

He sounds like (and looks like) Ravi from I Zombie.

DrDeth 07-28-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What Exit? (Post 21774295)
:confused: What show were you watching?

The preview. Now I have watched a few epis, yes, it is Mystery men, just way darker. The real super in MM was a total corporate sellout and tool.

It's a fun show, but it's not original in any way.

What Exit? 07-28-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDeth (Post 21775469)
The preview. Now I have watched a few epis, yes, it is Mystery men, just way darker. The real super in MM was a total corporate sellout and tool.

It's a fun show, but it's not original in any way.

Your opinion is weird, it is very little like the Mystery Men movie. I don't know about original or not, but not copying MM much at all. Mystery Men and several other movies were about those with very minor powers. This is really very different. The 7 are pretty super and the other group have no super powers at all. I think it is mostly a story about corruption though at its heart.

Snowboarder Bo 07-28-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What Exit? (Post 21775478)
Your opinion is weird, it is very little like the Mystery Men movie. I don't know about original or not, but not copying MM much at all. Mystery Men and several other movies were about those with very minor powers. This is really very different. The 7 are pretty super and the other group have no super powers at all. I think it is mostly a story about corruption though at its heart.

And, like many Phil Dick stories, a central question is "what does it mean to be human?"

Johnny Ecks 07-28-2019 09:22 PM

I watched the first four episodes after reading the positive reviews, and it’s actually quite good. Yes, it’s dark and depressing, but it doesn’t wallow in it as much as the comic. Yes, the supers are terrible people, but they have understandable motivations, unlike the comic where they seem to be arbitrarily horrible. I mean, Starlight still gets raped, but in the comic it was by the whole squad. Homelanders weird Oedipal thing is so creepy and pathetic I feel sorry for him, and his disgust at having to pretend to have had a normal childhood is telling.
The plot changes are a bit of an improvement, with the whole “what is compound V” mystery giving the crew a goal beyond killing random Supers in gory and humiliating ways. I like selling supers to cities like sports teams- something that makes a lot of sense but I don’t think was in the comic.

And yeah, it doesn’t have much in common with Mystery Men besides a corporate sponsored hero.

Omar Little 07-28-2019 09:39 PM

The only needed Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto to get the whole team back together.

Liked it, will watch season 2 when it comes out.

DrDeth 07-28-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Captain Amazing is/was very powerful.

And the 7 are just the Justice league, more or less.

Snowboarder Bo 07-28-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDeth (Post 21775643)
Captain Amazing is/was very powerful.

It's hard to disagree with this statement.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDeth (Post 21775643)
And the 7 are just the Justice league, more or less.

But easy to disagree with this one. "Team of superheroes" is where the similarities end, IMO.

Overall, I agree with What Exit?'s assessment of your assessment:
Quote:

Your opinion is weird,

Tamerlane 07-28-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo (Post 21775715)
It's hard to disagree with this statement.But easy to disagree with this one. "Team of superheroes" is where the similarities end, IMO.

To be fair to DrDeth I agree with him that they were pretty obviously meant to be a pastiche/parody of the Justice League.

Homelander = Superman
Queen Maeve = Wonder Woman
The Deep = Aquaman
A-Train = Flash
Lamplighter = Green Lantern
Black Noir = Batman
Jack from Jupiter(comics )/Translucent( show ) = Martian Manhunter

It's very slightly less obvious in the show vs. the comic, as "Jack from Jupiter" is a very blatant tell. But still pretty clear.

But other than that, I agree with you. Not getting much of a similarity to Mystery Men, other than the coincidental blond superhero.

Go_Arachnid_Laser 07-29-2019 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamerlane (Post 21775770)
To be fair to DrDeth I agree with him that they were pretty obviously meant to be a pastiche/parody of the Justice League.

Homelander = Superman
Queen Maeve = Wonder Woman
The Deep = Aquaman
A-Train = Flash
Lamplighter = Green Lantern
Black Noir = Batman
Jack from Jupiter(comics )/Translucent( show ) = Martian Manhunter

It's very slightly less obvious in the show vs. the comic, as "Jack from Jupiter" is a very blatant tell. But still pretty clear.

But other than that, I agree with you. Not getting much of a similarity to Mystery Men, other than the coincidental blond superhero.

Oh, both Mystery Men and The Boys are postmodern deconstructions of Super Heroes.

Neither were the first. There was Marshall Law, Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen...

Hell, Roy Thomas created the Squadron Sinister in 1969.

Go_Arachnid_Laser 07-29-2019 02:35 AM

And, of course, Gardner Fox created the Crime Syndicate of America in '64.

WotNot 07-29-2019 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDeth (Post 21775467)
He sounds like (and looks like) Ravi from I Zombie.

The vocal resemblance is not as close as the physical one. And that goes no further than “man with beard”. :D

Snowboarder Bo 07-29-2019 01:01 PM

So "dead ringer" then? No real differences, eh? :p