Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The Game Room (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Is Mario Kart for Wii worth it if I own Mario Kart 8 for Wii U? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=889299)

Mahaloth 01-30-2020 02:37 PM

Is Mario Kart for Wii worth it if I own Mario Kart 8 for Wii U?

Yep, I'm on a Wii U, not a Switch.

Anyway, my kids(and let's be honest, I) got Mario Kart 8 for Christmas. It has been a huge hit, like we have had a huge blast playing it.

I was wondering if Mario Kart Wii would be worth it since the Wii U plays Wii games and we have enjoyed 8 so much.

1. Does it have a bunch of courses Mario Kart 8 does not have?

2. Can you turn motion control off on the Wii version? We are not big fans of the motion control driving. We use Wii Remotes with no issue by turning them sideways.

Worth it or just the same game with worse graphics? If it has tons of new tracks/courses and is fun on its own, we might just want it.

Thoughts?

Atamasama 01-30-2020 02:57 PM

This article might be of interest to you:

Mario Kart 8 Feels Like Nintendo's Apology for Mario Kart Wii
And here’s a 6 page discussion on GameFAQs where people debate which of the games is better:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards...art-8/73598732

enalzi 01-30-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahaloth (Post 22110633)
2. Can you turn motion control off on the Wii version? We are not big fans of the motion control driving. We use Wii Remotes with no issue by turning them sideways.

You can turn off motion control. Each player can select how they want to control.

Mahaloth 01-31-2020 06:56 AM

I should have looked it up first. Apparently Mario Kart for Wii is still $20 or more? I thought it'd be in the bargain bin for $5-$8 or so.

Yikes.

gregorio 01-31-2020 10:51 AM

IMO Mario Kart Wii is great. It was my first Kart game so take that for what you may.

It seems less forgiving than MK8 especially on the harder levels. I have been "karted" close to the finish line way more on the Wii than MK8. I enjoy playing bikes on the Wii more than MK8. I prefer the motion controls to do bike boosts and to do tricks off jumps (bikes and karts). Rainbow Road on the Wii is my favourite Rainbow Road (and hard!).

Mario Kart 8 and 8 Deluxe are awesome as well. I will happily spend hours playing all three.

Sarabellum 01-31-2020 01:45 PM

I liked MK8 more than MK Wii.

A lot, lot more.

I regularly drag out my WiiU to play MK8, Super Mario 3DWorld, or Nintendoland. Do not remember the last time I got the Wii out for any reason.

Nintendoland would be my recommendation for multiplayer fun on the WiiU. You can get a copy in the WiiU eShop, though I'm not sure how much they may have relaxed their prices these days. There's nothing else quite like it, and it will likely never be ported due to controller differences between the Switch and the WiiU.

I do know you can get both Mario Galaxy games for $20 each in the WiiU eShop. They are both outstanding for that price. There were a few other good first-party titles on WiiU like Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, tho most of the good stuff has already been ported over to Switch.

MK Wii always seemed kind of weak to me. The online capabilities are gone now, also. I especially hated the motion control aspect of it.

Maybe it's time to get yourself a Switch?

Mahaloth 01-31-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarabellum (Post 22112595)
I liked MK8 more than MK Wii.

A lot, lot more.

I regularly drag out my WiiU to play MK8, Super Mario 3DWorld, or Nintendoland. Do not remember the last time I got the Wii out for any reason.

Nintendoland would be my recommendation for multiplayer fun on the WiiU. You can get a copy in the WiiU eShop, though I'm not sure how much they may have relaxed their prices these days. There's nothing else quite like it, and it will likely never be ported due to controller differences between the Switch and the WiiU.

I do know you can get both Mario Galaxy games for $20 each in the WiiU eShop. They are both outstanding for that price. There were a few other good first-party titles on WiiU like Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, tho most of the good stuff has already been ported over to Switch.

MK Wii always seemed kind of weak to me. The online capabilities are gone now, also. I especially hated the motion control aspect of it.

Maybe it's time to get yourself a Switch?

Nintendoland came with our Wii U and we have played it a bunch.

I've thought about Super Mario World 3D. My library has it and I kind of want to grab it and play it.