Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Cake or Pie? Both? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=868880)

Beckdawrek 01-13-2019 04:31 PM

Cake or Pie? Both?

I was just at a birthday party for the elderly Mom of my friend. Along with various dips and finger foods there was an astonishing dessert. It was a cake on a pie. Seriously, an Apple pie on the bottom and a spicy type pound cake on top, with a boozy tasting glaze. Not sure how this was achieved. I was skittish to try it. But, damn that thing was good. I couldn't have but a tiny piece because my sugar is acting crazy today. Plus they had pink champagne and I wanted one. As I was leaving I was offered a piece to take home to Mr.Wrekker. I took it and I didn't tell them he was out of town. It's sitting on my counter screaming at me. I can't eat it til tomarrow. I haz a :(.

guestchaz 01-13-2019 04:53 PM

OOOOOOHHHHHH!! I had something similar a couple of weeks ago. It was a thin (say 3/8 inch about) layer of cheesecake on top of blueberry pie and yes, you haz sad face with that bit of nummy numyliciousness sitting there tormenting you with its nummyness

Alpha Twit 01-13-2019 05:06 PM

My sister makes something she calls "Mason-Dixon Pie". Basically, it's a pecan pie baked on top of a cheesecake. Good for the good, bad for the thighs.

Enola Gay 01-13-2019 05:14 PM

I once had a pie baked inside a cake. It was a really tall chocolate cake & when it was sliced, there was a pecan pie inside of it--the pie was the middle layer. Not sure how they did it, but it was delish.

Enola Gay 01-13-2019 06:00 PM

And Beckdawrek, take an insulin shot & eat the pie/cake!

CalMeacham 01-13-2019 06:12 PM

Pie.

Nobody ever says "You can't have your Pie and eat it, too"

Beckdawrek 01-13-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enola Gay (Post 21428523)

I want to, so-ooooo bad!

Arkcon 01-13-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enola Gay (Post 21428456)
I once had a pie baked inside a cake. It was a really tall chocolate cake & when it was sliced, there was a pecan pie inside of it--the pie was the middle layer. Not sure how they did it, but it was delish.

After the turducken kept coming up around Thanksgiving time, someone had to invent: The Cherpumple

https://www.charlesphoenixcom/thanks...cken-desserts/

Scroll down for the image.

I ... um ... what I wanna say is ... erm ... maybe ... we've gone too far. With three layers of three pines in cakes layers. Jus' sayin' is all.

jasg 01-13-2019 06:25 PM

Cake on Pie! Now I have to add a third type of pie to the two I already like - hot pie & cold pie.

Life used to be so easy...

Siam Sam 01-13-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalMeacham (Post 21428545)
Pie.

Nobody ever says "You can't have your Pie and eat it, too"

You can have your cake and eat it too, if you're bulimic.

My head has been known to explode when faced with the choice of cake or pie. I generally just take a slice of both.

running coach 01-13-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkcon (Post 21428557)
After the turducken kept coming up around Thanksgiving time, someone had to invent: The Cherpumple

https://www.charlesphoenixcom/thanks...cken-desserts/

Scroll down for the image.

I ... um ... what I wanna say is ... erm ... maybe ... we've gone too far. With three layers of three pines in cakes layers. Jus' sayin' is all.

Stuff and nonsense. The only limit is structural integrity.

Thudlow Boink 01-13-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enola Gay (Post 21428456)
I once had a pie baked inside a cake.

On the dessert menu at Taco Town?

Patx2 01-13-2019 07:02 PM

Oh my, girl, that does sound delicious! You are a better woman than I if you resist. I hope you get to have it though 😊.

Beckdawrek 01-13-2019 07:10 PM

Oh, you look in my window in the morning and I will be eating it. Yes, yes I will.

engineer_comp_geek 01-13-2019 07:55 PM

Moderator Action

Since this is food stuffs, off to the cake society... er... cafe society (from IMHO).

kopek 01-13-2019 08:23 PM

The cake is a lie; pie is better and more honest.

Bayaker 01-14-2019 10:15 AM

The type of cake/pie I'm familiar with has less-defined layers than Beckdawrek describes, but it's still amazing. The "cake" part somehow separates and rises to the top as it bakes. Here's the recipe I have used many times:

Lemon Cake Pie
1 9-inch deep dish pie crust.
1 1⁄2 Cups sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel, or 1 more Tbsp juice
1⁄3 Cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 Eggs, separated
1 1⁄4 Cups milk

Preheat oven to 375.
Stir together melted butter and sugar; Stir in flour, salt, lemon peel and lemon juice.
In another bowl, beat egg yolks with milk until well blended, stir into lemon mixture.
In another medium sized bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until they hold distinct but moist peaks. Gently fold egg whites into lemon mixture. (Don't mix it too much.).
Pour filling into pie crust. Any leftover filling can be baked in ramekins.
Bake until the top is browned and the center jiggles only slightly when pan is gently shaken (45-55 minutes). If the crust begins to brown too much, ring it with foil.

I think there is more juice in this than the original recipe used(it's been years), but I like it real lemony. I make an orange version of this a lot (since I have orange trees) using even more juice and zest because oranges aren't quite as powerfully flavored as lemons.

DesertDog 01-14-2019 10:31 AM

We need a third item to make it the dessert equivalent of turducken. I vote brownie.

running coach 01-14-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertDog (Post 21429441)
We need a third item to make it the dessert equivalent of turducken. I vote brownie.

A cookie inside of a brownie inside of a pie inside of a cake. Inside of me.

Athena 01-14-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enola Gay (Post 21428523)

_sigh_ I wish insulin worked that way, all the time! Alas, I so understand what Beckdawrek meant with "my sugars are crazy today." Sometimes one does everything right yet the damn things will NOT get in line.

And now I want a pie and cake together as one. That sounds amazing!

Rhiannon8404 01-14-2019 12:45 PM

I love pie. Pie is my favorite. I will always choose pie. I would not want my pie desecrated by cake.

Roderick Femm 01-14-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 (Post 21429729)
I love pie. Pie is my favorite. I will always choose pie. I would not want my pie desecrated by cake.

As good as cake is, I agree with this sentiment. Pie is always better (except pecan pie, which I can't eat because of nut allergy). Sadly, though, pie is harder to make properly than cake is. But when you get it right, perfectly flaky crust, perfect insides (not too juicy, not too dry, proper flavor balance) there is just nothing better anywhere.

I should add that by "pie" I mean fruit pies with both top and bottom crust. Other desserts in the pie area are fine, but they don't rise to the level of perfection that a fruit pie can. Oh, and a special place for mincemeat pie, not strictly speaking a fruit pie if done right.

DSYoungEsq 01-14-2019 02:52 PM

Cake is cake. Pie is pie. Each has their place in the universe of desserts (which in each case is underneath that most delicious of desserts, crme brle).

Pie should not be spoiled with cake. Cake should not touch pie (lest the pie get the cake soggy). Cake is best for birthdays, where it can be cut into individual servings by even the most ham-handed knife operator.

Ukulele Ike 01-14-2019 08:25 PM

Cake and pie together? MISCEGENATION! SIN!!!

Pretty much always cake, except in summertime vacation Maine when there is fresh wild blueberry pie baked by plump rosy-cheeked Maine Lutheran church ladies. Cream pies also.

Acsenray 01-14-2019 08:27 PM

Pie!

I almost always regret cake. It’s a waste of my calorie/sugar budget. I never think “now that was tasty.” It’s just bleagh.

Pie on the other hand is often wonderful, even if the crust sucks.

Ukulele Ike 01-14-2019 08:28 PM

You’re not eating the right cake.

Acsenray 01-14-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike (Post 21430727)
Youre not eating the right cake.

If good cake is so rare, then its cakes fault, not mine.

Acsenray 01-14-2019 08:34 PM

There are only two cakes that I ever wanted to eat a second time, and they were both at Cheesecake Factory (which I otherwise dislike)—the chocolate blackout cake and the carrot cake

Every other cake I’ve ever had, whatever the source or the price or the quality, I’m fine if I never see again.

running coach 01-14-2019 08:37 PM

Jim Gaffigan prefers cake.

DSYoungEsq 01-14-2019 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acsenray (Post 21430735)
There are only two cakes that I ever wanted to eat a second time, and they were both at Cheesecake Factory (which I otherwise dislike)the chocolate blackout cake and the carrot cake

Every other cake Ive ever had, whatever the source or the price or the quality, Im fine if I never see again.

My ex-wife made chocolate cake that was the stuff of dreams. It was so wonderfully moist and chocolaty, it just melted in your mouth. When paired with a chocolate ganache, it was almost too much goodness at once (almost!!).

She also had a carrot cake recipe that produced a cake that even I, who generally speaking dislike carrot cake heartily, would definitely cross the street for. YUM.

Beckdawrek 01-15-2019 12:05 AM

Yeah, but did it have a pie under it?
Update: I ate the piece of Pie/cake today. It wasn't nearly as good as it was yesterday. Still good. Slightly too boozy for my tastes. I dont think I'll get the recipe. I bet it's complicated and way too much trouble to make.

Tom Terrific 01-15-2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 21431054)
Yeah, but did it have a pie under it?
Update: I ate the piece of Pie/cake today. It wasn't nearly as good as it was yesterday. Still good. Slightly too boozy for my tastes. I dont think I'll get the recipe. I bet it's complicated and way too much trouble to make.

Please go ahead and get the recipe if you can. If you post the recipe, I believe there will be a surprising number of people who will make it.:)

DesertDog 01-16-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running coach (Post 21429450)
A cookie inside of a brownie inside of a pie inside of a cake. Inside of me.

It's sugar all the way down.