Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   "The Hunt:" A movie about hunting "deplorables" for fun (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=880125)

Velocity 08-08-2019 08:50 PM

"The Hunt:" A movie about hunting "deplorables" for fun

NBC Universal Pictures is filming a movie in which people to get to stalk and shoot "deplorables" for fun. Titled "The Hunt," it stars Hilary Swank, but its ads have been temporarily pulled in wake of the El Paso and Dayton shootings. The studio still plans to go forward with its release, though - September 27.

(thread is more Cafe than Elections, but probably intersects)

Snowboarder Bo 08-08-2019 08:55 PM

That sounds like an incredibly bad idea for a movie. Or a book. Or anything, really. I can't believe they got funding at all, let alone that they got people to act in it, etc.. Show some sense, people.

Chronos 08-08-2019 08:57 PM

Wow, that just sounds like a terrible idea no matter how you look at it.

Ukulele Ike 08-08-2019 08:58 PM

Why? You’ve seen The Most Dangerous Game, haven’t you?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MlLIquCiyUw

Darren Garrison 08-08-2019 09:02 PM

I didn't realize that Hilary Swank's career had fallen that low. It looks like the type of movie that usually doesn't star anyone who has ever been off the "C"-list.

Alpha Twit 08-08-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Garrison (Post 21795797)
I didn't realize that Hilary Swank's career had fallen that low. It looks like the type of movie that usually doesn't star anyone who has ever been off the "C"-list.

It's possible she simply supports the idea of the project.

snfaulkner 08-08-2019 09:50 PM

Meh, it looks and sounds terrible in many ways but people seemed to like The Purge movies, as well as ton of other garbage, so whatever.

Sefton 08-08-2019 10:13 PM

That's it, Hilary. We're through. I could live with you ignoring my emails, phone calls, and skywriting, but this is the last straw.

Exapno Mapcase 08-08-2019 10:28 PM

Have people, including the OP, actually read the article the OP linked to? You might be interested in some of the content.

Quote:

A high-level insider says top executives want to stand by Blum, one of the studio's most prolific and successful producers, as well as filmmaker Craig Zobel, and see the project as a satire addressing an issue of great social importance. ...

a Universal executive, who says the movie "is meant to show what a stupid, crazy world we live in," adding, "It might even be more powerful now."
AFAIK, nobody outside the insiders has read the script or seen any footage. (Even Fox News had to make this disclaimer.) People are going crazy based on a soundbite.

Sure, it might be exploitative, awful, insulting, and just plain wrong. Or it might make an important point about guns and our society in an entertaining way that would reach people. The only thing we can know for sure is that condemning something based on absolutely no information is the worst way to proceed.

Banksiaman 08-08-2019 10:31 PM

Shades of Turkey Shoot, beloved of Quentin Tarantino but not so much by anyone watching it without drugs. Strong drugs.

Could we argue that splatter flicks like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Mothers Day and so on already represent hunting of normo-Democrat types by 'deporables' and this is an enviable attempt to re-balance the genre?

Sefton 08-08-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase (Post 21795941)
AFAIK, nobody outside the insiders has read the script or seen any footage. (Even Fox News had to make this disclaimer.) People are going crazy based on a soundbite.

The casting supports the article. All the main characters are white and at least two of them (Ethan Suplee and Macon Blair) have played ignorant hicks in the past.

Left Hand of Dorkness 08-08-2019 10:48 PM

It's obvious to everyone that this is a grotesque right-wing fantasy, right? I mean, the "deplorables" comment is remembered far more by the right than by the left; and the old-as-shit trope about elites hunting regular Joes is always and 100% on the side of the regular Joes, who end up killing the elites.

This sounds like a garbage fantasy. Come on, Hollywood. I know you're cynical, but this cynical?

Guest-starring: Id! 08-08-2019 11:03 PM

This film will be fodder (or ammo?) for more idiotic alt-righters to do more idiotic shit.

Dewey Finn 08-09-2019 09:03 AM

It seems typical of Blumhouse Productions films; low cost horror so it doesn't have to do big box office to be profitable. Wikipedia says it cost about $18 million, which is actually a lot compared to many of their films, which often cost less than $5 million. They've had a winning formula.

Der Trihs 08-09-2019 09:21 AM

It sounds like "outrage marketing". It panders to fantasies the right wing has about the left, and the idea is probably to get lots of right wingers loudly condemning it in order to advertise the film for free. And maybe to get left wingers to watch it in rebellion against the right.

It would hardly be the first time a really awful film tried to get market share by making a show of being offensive.

Left Hand of Dorkness 08-09-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der Trihs (Post 21796592)
It sounds like "outrage marketing". It panders to fantasies the right wing has about the left, and the idea is probably to get lots of right wingers loudly condemning it in order to advertise the film for free. And maybe to get left wingers to watch it in rebellion against the right.

It would hardly be the first time a really awful film tried to get market share by making a show of being offensive.

I think you have it backwards: this sounds like a film marketed to the alt right. I just about guarantee that the MAGAhats will be the heroes of the film. Most Dangerous Game films NEVER vilify the hunted.

Dewey Finn 08-09-2019 09:30 AM

Here's the plot description from Wikipedia, although I don't know if it's accurate. "The film follows twelve strangers, referred to as deplorables in the trailer, who mysteriously wake up in a clearing. They do not know where they are or how they got there. They discover that they have been chosen to be hunted in a game devised by a group of rich elites. The hunters gather in a remote facility called the Manor House, but their sport gets derailed when one of the hunted, Crystal (Gilpin), fights back and starts killing them one by one." Sounds like the "deplorable" played by Betty Gilpin is the protagonist.

manson1972 08-09-2019 09:59 AM

I saw the trailer for that movie. I didn't associate "deplorables" with any political statements. I just thought they were criminals or whatever. And they were being hunted by rich people and one of the hunted starts getting back at them.

This isn't the first movie to have this theme, not sure why it appears some of you are shocked by it or think it's a bad idea.

ZPG Zealot 08-09-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banksiaman (Post 21795948)
Could we argue that splatter flicks like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Mothers Day and so on already represent hunting of normo-Democrat types by 'deporables' and this is an enviable attempt to re-balance the genre?

When I first heard of this movie I actually thought, "It's about time." The unfortunate problem is most "deporables" lack the intellectual ability to understand this.

Dewey Finn 08-09-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson1972 (Post 21796668)
I saw the trailer for that movie. I didn't associate "deplorables" with any political statements. I just thought they were criminals or whatever. And they were being hunted by rich people and one of the hunted starts getting back at them.

You may not have associated deplorables that way, but the most famous use of the term was by Hillary Clinton in August 2016, when she said, "You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? They're racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic – Islamophobic – you name it. And unfortunately, there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people – now have 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks – they are irredeemable, but thankfully, they are not America."

It's hard to imagine that the film is using the word to refer to a different sort of people.

Jophiel 08-09-2019 10:36 AM

Is there any over-the-top partisan satire cinema that's actually good? 'Cause I'm guessing that this isn't it.

Defensive Indifference 08-09-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness (Post 21796597)
I think you have it backwards: this sounds like a film marketed to the alt right. I just about guarantee that the MAGAhats will be the heroes of the film. Most Dangerous Game films NEVER vilify the hunted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Finn (Post 21796613)
Here's the plot description from Wikipedia, although I don't know if it's accurate. "The film follows twelve strangers, referred to as deplorables in the trailer, who mysteriously wake up in a clearing. They do not know where they are or how they got there. They discover that they have been chosen to be hunted in a game devised by a group of rich elites. The hunters gather in a remote facility called the Manor House, but their sport gets derailed when one of the hunted, Crystal (Gilpin), fights back and starts killing them one by one." Sounds like the "deplorable" played by Betty Gilpin is the protagonist.

This is my thinking as well. The underdogs being oppressed by the elites are ALWAYS the heroes. There is roughly a 0% chance that a movie is going to show rich people hunting poor people for sport as the good guys.

simster 08-09-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference (Post 21796776)
This is my thinking as well. The underdogs being oppressed by the elites are ALWAYS the heroes. There is roughly a 0% chance that a movie is going to show rich people hunting poor people for sport as the good guys.

Maybe thats why the alt-right hate it so much?

Chronos 08-09-2019 10:56 AM

Ah, OK, so it's actually about a deplorable hunting people (albeit, other deplorables, though they probably won't pick up on that part). Yeah, that makes sense now.

Telemark 08-09-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos (Post 21796790)
Ah, OK, so it's actually about a deplorable hunting people (albeit, other deplorables, though they probably won't pick up on that part). Yeah, that makes sense now.

As I read it, the one deplorable starts hunting the hunters (the non-Deplorables).

k9bfriender 08-09-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson1972 (Post 21796668)

This isn't the first movie to have this theme, not sure why it appears some of you are shocked by it or think it's a bad idea.

Some people hear the word "deplorable", and think, "Hey that's me!"

I can see how people can choose to take offense to it, even though it sounds like the "deplorables" end up winning in the end, just as there are some who are up in arms about "Hillbilly Elegy", because they assume that it's all about beating on them.

Blank Slate 08-09-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jophiel (Post 21796753)
Is there any over-the-top partisan satire cinema that's actually good? 'Cause I'm guessing that this isn't it.

There's that word. The linked article made multiple mentions of this flick being a satire. What is it satirizing?

A bit sad to see Damon Lindelof associated with this after the brilliant The Leftovers. This film might surprise but it's hard to imagaine how.

manson1972 08-09-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9bfriender (Post 21796850)
Some people hear the word "deplorable", and think, "Hey that's me!"

I can see how people can choose to take offense to it, even though it sounds like the "deplorables" end up winning in the end, just as there are some who are up in arms about "Hillbilly Elegy", because they assume that it's all about beating on them.

Actually, I wondered why I didn't notice this in the trailer, and I just watched it again. Nobody says "deplorables" in the trailer. Further reading shows it's in the screenplay. And anyway, the hunted rise up and win in the end.

Plus it looks pretty awesome, so I can't wait until it comes out.

Chronos 08-09-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Quoth Telemark:

As I read it, the one deplorable starts hunting the hunters (the non-Deplorables).
Where did you get the impression that there are any non-deplorables in this movie at all?

Defensive Indifference 08-09-2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos (Post 21796916)
Where did you get the impression that there are any non-deplorables in this movie at all?

I'm not speaking for Telemark, but this is from the linked article:

Quote:

The script for The Hunt features the red-state characters wearing trucker hats and cowboy shirts, with one bragging about owning seven guns because it's his constitutional right. The blue-state characters — some equally adept with firearms — explain that they picked their targets because they expressed anti-choice positions or used the N-word on Twitter. "War is war," says one character after shoving a stiletto heel through the eye of a denim-clad hillbilly.
If "deplorable" is meant to indicate Trump-supporting red-staters, then the "non-deplorables" would presumably be the blue-staters killing them. The movie seems to be pitting red-hatted deplorables against liberal elites.

Or are you just insisting that everyone in the film is "deplorable" in the traditional sense of the word? I mean, that's probably true, but not really on point for this discussion.

Eyebrows 0f Doom 08-09-2019 12:24 PM

I saw the trailer for this on TV a few days ago and I didn’t hear anything mentioned about “deplorables.” It just looked like a fake movie trailer for a really cheesy movie, at first I thought it was one of those Taco Bell ads until Hilary Swank showed up.

Asuka 08-09-2019 01:37 PM

This reminds me of The Purge movies in the style of "Movies that think they're super-deep and politically relevant when they're really not"

Baker 08-09-2019 01:41 PM

I would be curious to find out what criteria were used to label a person as a "deplorable"

Bryan Ekers 08-09-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos (Post 21796916)

It's deplurtles all the way down!

Walken After Midnight 08-09-2019 01:56 PM

Looks like Trump is weighing into the debate.

asterion 08-09-2019 02:13 PM

I'm not going to watch it not because of any controversy but because Damon Lindelof sucks.

E-DUB 08-09-2019 02:44 PM

Echos of "The Last Supper"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113613...1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Or a reverse on "Joe".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065916/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

snfaulkner 08-09-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight (Post 21797197)
Looks like Trump is weighing into the debate.

"Liberal Hollywood is Racist at the highest level, and with great Anger and Hate! They like to call themselves “Elite,” but they are not Elite. In fact, it is often the people that they so strongly oppose that are actually the Elite."

This coming from the guy with a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

Velocity 08-09-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baker (Post 21797156)
I would be curious to find out what criteria were used to label a person as a "deplorable"

Apparently, "anti-choice positions or used the N-word on Twitter."

Darren Garrison 08-09-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocity (Post 21797344)

That is one of the most tone-deaf things I've ever read described.

NDP 08-09-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Garrison (Post 21795797)

Being photographed sitting on the lap of a central Asian despot might have something to do with her current status in Hollywood.

HyacinthBucket 08-09-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snfaulkner (Post 21797284)
"Liberal Hollywood is Racist at the highest level, and with great Anger and Hate! They like to call themselves “Elite,” but they are not Elite. In fact, it is often the people that they so strongly oppose that are actually the Elite."

This coming from the guy with a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

For a moment or two I thought that your Siggie was a continuation of the tweet. But apparently it was just one of those happy coincidences. :D

Scumpup 08-09-2019 04:48 PM

Sounds like it's been done before.

snfaulkner 08-09-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scumpup (Post 21797484)
Sounds like it's been done before.

That one looks way better! (By better I mean ridiculously terrible but fun instead of just stupid)

Ice-t!
Rutgers hauer!
Charles S. Dutton!
Gary Busy!...ok, maybe not !
F. Murray Abraham!
John C. McGinty!

I wanna watch this garbage tonight!

Lumpy 08-09-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocity (Post 21795781)
NBC Universal Pictures is filming a movie in which people get to stalk and shoot "deplorables" for fun.

That doesn't make sense; it's the deplorables who have all the guns.

OK, sarcasm aside, this sounds like a movie with something to offend everyone.

nearwildheaven 08-09-2019 09:06 PM

This sounds like a poorly disguised ripoff of "The Hunger Games", only featuring adults killing each other for sport.

Darren Garrison 08-09-2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snfaulkner (Post 21797508)
Rutgers hauer!

But sadly, no MIT Romney.

Banquet Bear 08-10-2019 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asterion (Post 21797230)
I'm not going to watch it not because of any controversy but because Damon Lindelof sucks.

...counterpoint: I had zero interest in this movie at all until I found out it was written by Damon Lindelof and Nick Cuse (who was part of the Leftovers writing room) and directed by Craig Zobel (who directed the incredible "International Assassin" episode of the Leftovers) and now I'm utterly convinced that this movie will be a complete and utter mind-fuck that will defy expectations and has been elevated to my "must-see" list.

Ellis Dee 08-10-2019 03:27 AM

For a similar theme as described by the OP, check out the dark comedy God Bless America. Joel Murray (Bill's brother) decides to take out the most offensive members of society since he's got no life and may have terminal cancer anyway.

His definition of offensive isn't quite the same as Clinton's deplorables. Think more along the lines of people who talk in movie theaters, or who pound energy drinks all day, or who use terms like "edgy."

It's also not about a set hunting ground. He and his sidekick (a high school girl with her own issues) just kind of go off in the world and gun down anyone who pisses them off.

It's really quite good.

pool 08-10-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jophiel (Post 21796753)

I don't know if it fits the bill but Red State by Kevin Smith was sort of entertaining a kind of Waco meets Fred Phelps-esque cult leader thing going on, I don't know if it bares repeat watching but I found it original and entertaining.