Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Politics & Elections (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Positions of the 2020 Democratic Presidential Candidates (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=890541)

Razncain 02-23-2020 11:53 AM

Positions of the 2020 Democratic Presidential Candidates

This may not get much play, which is okay, but mostly wanting to do this so that others like me can catch up to the issues and where the candidates stand. To catch us up to speed, I thought the wikipedia link has done a better job than others, and no paywall, no annoying advertising bombarding you, lots of easy charts to follow on a wide range of issues. So let's start with that.

After you've reviewed it, any surprises, pleasant or not, disappointments, other observations or comments you want to make, feel free. I was surprised that Tulsi Gabbard was still running. Was also surprised how so little is still known about Bloomberg and his positions. Please note I'm only commenting on those that are still running, not those that have dropped out. Here are a few things I've gotten out of it.

Quite a few want to have a Climate Change National Emergency that are still running, with the exception of Biden, Bloomberg, Buttigieg, and Tom Steyer, of which those four were left with question marks, no one knows exactly what they want to do here.

All want a $15.00 minimum wage.

For debt relief to student loans, Gabbard, Sanders and Warren said yes, those that want partial are Biden Buttigieg and Klobochar. With Bloomberg unknown.

For black reparations, Gabbard, Steyer and Warren vote yes, others that voted for partial are Biden, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, and Sanders. Bloomberg was another question mark.

Quite a few want nuclear power to reduce emissions except Bernie Sanders, Tom Steyer. Mike Bloomberg is open to the idea, and it's unclear on Elizabeth Warren's position.

All want a carbon tax that weighed in, although it's still not known with Biden and Gabbard, and Klobuchar is open to it.

Most want a New Green Deal (NGD) with the exception of Mike Bloomberg. And Joe Biden just wants a partial NGD.

All are in favor of the Paris agreement.

Mixed on banning fracking.

Most want to reinstate net neutrality, although it's unclear with Biden, and unknown with Bloomberg.

Most want to decrease the military budget with the exception of Buttigieg and Biden, with Bloomberg it's unclear.

Fund raising from billionaires, Sanders says no to it as does Bloomberg (naturally with his stack), but Biden says yes, as does Buttigieg, Warren is open to partial funding from them.

Most want to expunge cannabis convictions, although it's unclear with Bloomberg, Klobuchar and Tom Steyer.

Most want to end private prisons, although it's unclear with Bloomberg, Klobuchar and Steyer.

These are just a few things, a great deal more are uncovered. But nothing about the debt, of which I would enjoyed hearing something about that, among other things. Take this thread in any direction you like if it interests you, mostly I think it will be a good refresher to come back to in the future and as wiki updates more info as it comes in.

Locrian 02-23-2020 03:01 PM

Pretty good charts in that link. What's most eye-opening is Bloomy's silence of Defense issues. That's got to be a big deal with some fence sitters. It's also interesting to see how Warren and Bernie are basically in agreement on almost all issues, especially with free education and debt relief on student loans. And you can put "unclear" under Biden for most of the things he says in the first place. :D