Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Please ID a Sci-fi flick from the 80's (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=882941)

Hypno-Toad 10-01-2019 08:59 AM

Please ID a Sci-fi flick from the 80's

It's an Australian movie, I think. A middle-aged guy wakes up and finds that everyone has disappeared. Apparently into thin air, as at one point he finds a crashed airliner and all the seats are empty but the seat belts are all still buckled. He eventually finds a young lady and they have romance until they also find a handsome young man. This causes friction and Mr. Suddenly Third-Wheel leaves. I remember at the end he also suddenly teleports and the last shot of the film is him standing on a beach looking up at the alien sky above him full of planets and moons.

Any ideas?

campp 10-01-2019 09:07 AM

No idea of the movie. I just wanted to mention that plot is very close to The World, The Flesh, and The Devil 1959.

Hypno-Toad 10-01-2019 09:12 AM

I remember watching that. But in that film I think they make it clear that there was a nuclear war. In the OP film, it's a big mystery where everyone went.

Patch 10-01-2019 09:18 AM

How about The Quiet Earth?

Sparky812 10-01-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patch (Post 21891110)

Came in to post this as well. That definitely it.

I just watched it (again) on Amazon Prime last month.

Hypno-Toad 10-01-2019 10:22 AM

Yup! that's it! Sorry NZ, for thinking it was in Oz.

Johnny L.A. 10-01-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patch (Post 21891110)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky812 (Post 21891134)
Came in to post this as well. That definitely it.

I was also going to say The Quiet Earth. I saw it when it came out. Good movie. And there's another DVD I'll have to dig out from wherever SWMBO put it!

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker 10-01-2019 01:05 PM

By the way, I actually own a copy of THE BOOK that it was based on. At the time I had acquired it, it was one of the hardest tomes to track down, since so few copies were printed (NZ market is rather small). If you're interested, here's a synopsis of the book.

DPRK 10-01-2019 01:42 PM

Wasn't there- not a remake, exactly, but a film in the same vein- a couple of years ago? The protagonist was a woman this time.

Snowboarder Bo 10-01-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. (Post 21891435)
I was also going to say The Quiet Earth. I saw it when it came out. Good movie. And there's another DVD I'll have to dig out from wherever SWMBO put it!

Aye; me too. I remember Siskel & Ebert reviewing it and it went on my list. I saw it at the Art Towne Theatre (at least I think it was re-named Art Towne by then).

I know right where my copy is; I just watched it last January.

Sparky812 10-01-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPRK (Post 21891680)
Wasn't there- not a remake, exactly, but a film in the same vein- a couple of years ago? The protagonist was a woman this time.

Maybe you're thinking of Z for Zachariah loosely based on the book by Robert C. O'Brien. The book is good... the film is awful.

Hypno-Toad 10-01-2019 02:17 PM

I enjoyed Z is for Zachariah. Along with H.M. Hoover's work, it's nice to have real female protagonists.

DPRK 10-01-2019 02:24 PM

I think I was thinking of The Wall, though, if you consider it, there is also Last Woman on Earth and plenty of other lone-survivor-of-an-apocalypse-until-they-run-into-somebody-else films.

Limmin 10-01-2019 04:40 PM

The Quiet Earth, yes.

The big deal in the movie was IIRC some strange energy field that passed over the Earth. If you were already in the process of dying (or being murdered), you were spared. Everyone else living was snatched away to destination unknown. So our protagonists were all getting killed or otherwise dying...then were suddenly spared...then found themselves almost alone in this abandoned Earth.

Can anyone explain the ending, how the guy got transported? Did he try to kill himself by driving a car into a wall or something? Memory is fuzzy on this point.

Snowboarder Bo 10-01-2019 05:12 PM

Aye; he died driving a load of explosives into the project that caused the Effect. But just like the previous time he tried to kill himself and a massive scientific anomaly coincided with his death he actually survives and this time is moved across time and/or space to someplace entirely new to him.

Johnny L.A. 10-01-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limmin (Post 21892070)
The big deal in the movie was IIRC some strange energy field that passed over the Earth

It's a little more sinister than that. A company/consortium/whatever is implementing a worldwide power grid. IIRC, it was a system where power was freely available from the ether. 'Freely' doesn't necessarily mean 'free'; just that it was a worldwide system that could be tapped into to provide power. I think it was meant to solve the problem of pollution in addition to power inaccessibility.

DPRK 10-01-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Can anyone explain the ending, how the guy got transported? Did he try to kill himself by driving a car into a wall or something? Memory is fuzzy on this point.

He dies a second time by crashing the truck and simultaneously setting off the explosives, blowing himself up in a giant fireball!

Mr. Miskatonic 10-01-2019 06:22 PM

“He tells lies!”

Sparky812 10-02-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

The Quiet Earth, yes.

The big deal in the movie was IIRC some strange energy field that passed over the Earth. If you were already in the process of dying (or being murdered), you were spared. Everyone else living was snatched away to destination unknown. So our protagonists were all getting killed or otherwise dying...then were suddenly spared...then found themselves almost alone in this abandoned Earth.

You're correct about the global energy grid. Hobson was involved in it's development and tried to commit suicide due to his guilt over not speaking out about his concerns about Project Flashlight

I believe the book sheds more light on what happened to everyone. Something to do with animal DNA vs. plant DNA and living vs. dead tissue. It's also mentioned somewhere that The Effect cannot penetrate water i.e. fish were not affected.

The ending is left to your own interpretation a new world, the after-life, purgatory, a dream, etc.. The book has him wake up in bed at 6:12am again.

GuanoLad 10-02-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad (Post 21891239)
Yup! that's it! Sorry NZ, for thinking it was in Oz.

I am outraged!!!!!!!!!!! This is like confusing northern Washington for Vancouver.

CalMeacham 10-02-2019 08:45 AM

I saw The Quiet Earth in the theater when it came out, and I've always been disappointed in it. The biggest reason is that it had that spectacular poster:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p.../TheQuietEarth

This also turns out to be the very last scene in the movie. So, after showing you this poster that promises that this is what the film will be about, you finally learn that it's not about this at all. (It's a bit like the 2001 posters that show the StarChild, except that not ALL the 2001 posters showed that. and 2001 did deliver on the promised effects.)

The movie also., as TV Tropes points out, was supposed to be about The Last Man on Earth, at least at the beginning*, but the trailers spoiled that.

*movies purport to like Last Man on Earth (or wherever) movies, but almost invariably bring in other characters. They can't help themselves. Even Robinson Crusoe on Mars had a Friday.

Johnny L.A. 10-02-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuanoLad (Post 21893083)
I am outraged!!!!!!!!!!! This is like confusing northern Washington for Vancouver.

I live in northern Washington, and Vancouver is only 35 miles away. (The nearest actual city to me in Washington is 25 miles away.)

Snowboarder Bo 10-02-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic (Post 21892273)
“He tells lies!”

I love that line! I use it occasionally but no one ever gets the reference.

shstrang98 10-06-2019 04:34 PM

The Quiet Earth.