Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The Game Room (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   SDMB Pick 'em and Survival Leagues 2018 (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=860645)

SenorBeef 08-17-2018 05:18 PM

SDMB Pick 'em and Survival Leagues 2018

Last year's thread

Sorry for the late start, slipped my mind.

Everyone is invited to play - it's not like fantasy football where you have head to head matchups every week, everyone plays against the whole league, so if you end up dropping out mid-season it's not a big deal. So try anything you want.

Pick 'em:
In NFL Pick 'em leagues, each player predicts the outcome of every NFL game. There are three different types, and we run all three. You can join any or all of them.

Straight up: You simply pick the winner of each game, and get a point if correct.

Spread: A spread is determined for a game (like with sports betting), where one team has a certain amount of points given to them, and you have to pick the game with that adjustment taken into account.

Confidence: The most complex one, but in my view also the most fun. There are no spreads, so you pick the winner straight up. But you get a confidence value you can assign to every game, 1 through the number of games being played that weekend, and can only use each number once. So if there are 16 games that weekend, you'll assign the confidence number 16 to the game where the outcome seems most clear to you, 15 for the next one, all the way down to 1 for the one you're least sure of. If you pick correctly, the confidence value of your pick is added to your weekly score. If you only play one league, I suggest the confidence league.

Survival:
Each player picks one team that has to win each week. If your picked team fails to win, you get a strike. You can only use each team once. Three strikes and you're out.

These leagues can hold up to 50 players each, so we're not really at risk for filling up, and you're competing against the whole league, not one other team per week like fantasy football, so it's not a big deal if you end up dropping out. I'd like for everyone to play all the way through the season, but it won't hurt anyone if you don't, so feel free to sign up if you're only a little interested. The more the merrier.

Pick 'em sign up

Password for all leagues is cecil. League numbers are:

Pick em: 17672
Spread Pick em: 17674
Confidence Pick 'em: 17676

And this link for the survival league.

RollOutTheBarrel 08-19-2018 10:02 AM

I signed up for the straight pick 'em league. Woot! :)

dalej42 08-19-2018 12:33 PM

I"m in as well. Are they still doing those stupid early morning London games? Those always screw up fantasy and pick em leagues.

SenorBeef 08-28-2018 06:17 PM

Looks like there are 3 London games in consecutive weeks in October. I always forget those too. Of course I have the option of not waiting until right before the games to make my picks. But more likely I'll just forget them again.

SenorBeef 09-01-2018 03:06 PM

Still open to recruits in all the leagues. They won't fill up, so don't worry about taking up a slot if you're not sure you'll be there every week - it won't hurt anything.

asterion 09-02-2018 06:20 PM

Thanks for setting this up yet again. I swear, one of these years I'm going to win. I can't coast on the one time they had Salary Cap forever.

SenorBeef 09-04-2018 12:55 PM

Get your Thursday picks in.

Hal Briston 09-04-2018 06:07 PM

In for Pick 'Em and Survival!

dalej42 09-05-2018 01:31 PM

FYI, I just used the Yahoo mobile app (iOS) for pick em. It seems much improved and much more user friendly than in the past.

Oakminster 09-06-2018 12:37 PM

I'm in for Survival and Pick'Em.

SenorBeef 09-08-2018 12:21 PM

Guess who reminded everyone about their Thursday picks and then forgot to get them in.

So... get your Sunday picks in.

SenorBeef 09-13-2018 06:15 PM

I won't hand out reminders like this all year, but just while we're getting in the habit... remember to pick the Thursday game and the tiebreakers.

Oakminster 09-17-2018 01:37 PM

I'm off to an awesome 0-2 start in Survivor. What's this song stuck in my head now..."Hangman is coming down from the gallows and I don't have very long...." Yeah. That one.
Think I'm almost middle of the pack in Pick'em. There's a reason I don't gamble on sports. A good one. I suck at prognostication.

dalej42 09-17-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oakminster (Post 21212845)
I'm off to an awesome 0-2 start in Survivor. What's this song stuck in my head now..."Hangman is coming down from the gallows and I don't have very long...." Yeah. That one.
Think I'm almost middle of the pack in Pick'em. There's a reason I don't gamble on sports. A good one. I suck at prognostication.

Itís Renegade by Styx.

https://youtu.be/rkGQGz7dvTs

Hi, Neighbor! 09-17-2018 03:34 PM

Just pick anyone playing the Bills this year. Like what everyone did with the Browns last year.

Fear the Turtle 09-18-2018 10:44 AM

I have a new technique for the Pick'em Spread League: I do all the research and analysis as usual, then pick all the games. Then just before kickoff, I flip all my picks to the other team. I call this the George Costanza method (if every instinct I have is wrong...) and it worked to perfection in week 2. If only I had used it in week 1 also, I'd be crushing everyone.

Oakminster 09-19-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oakminster (Post 21212845)
Think I'm almost middle of the pack in Pick'em.

Nope...wrong there, too. I'm not quite last, but might as well be.

asterion 09-20-2018 10:08 AM

Is this the week I take the Browns in survival? It just might be.

SenorBeef 09-20-2018 03:38 PM

You would get a special mention for ballsiest pick.

Or are you trying to get me to do it to match you and then embarass me?

Hmm!

asterion 09-20-2018 07:18 PM

They're playing the Jets at home on a short week. I think they've actually got a chance, so I actually did pick them. It's a calculated risk.

asterion 09-20-2018 11:34 PM

So, did you take your Browns in survival too?

Damn it, the pick change didn't save. Well, don't I look stupid. I swear, I really thought I changed it.

SenorBeef 09-23-2018 10:28 AM

Unfortunately I was too cowardly. I know I get overly optimistic about the Browns when it comes to pick 'em and survival so I try to offset it a little bit by deliberately leaning against picking them.

Looks like this week everyone is investing in Minnesota. If there's an upside there about 2/3rds of everyone get a strike.

SenorBeef 09-23-2018 01:29 PM

It's very rare that 60%+ of the yahoo user base picks one team in survival, but that's what happened with Minnesota today. Who are currently getting their ass kicked.

I have confidence the Buffalo can still blow it, but it's looking bad for a lot of us.

garygnu 09-23-2018 08:02 PM

That was as much of a bloodbath as I suspected when I saw the halftime score. I picked the Bears to beat the pathetic Cardinals because I was 'saving' the Vikes for later in the season. (And it took a comeback from down two touchdowns to do it.)

Hi, Neighbor! 09-24-2018 08:06 AM

It was a massacre! I had already used the Vikings in week 1 but figured my Jacksonville over Tennessee pick was solid. Nope! Upset city yesterday.

Oakminster 09-24-2018 02:01 PM

And I'm out. In Week 3. Worse, I think this is the second time I've achieved this inglorious feat.

MadTheSwine 09-30-2018 09:01 PM

thread game

garygnu 10-08-2018 11:12 PM

I picked the Redskins over the Saints? WTF did I do that?

borschevsky 10-09-2018 12:09 PM

How can I be second in the confidence league and dead last in spread? :)

SenorBeef 10-24-2018 01:52 AM

What the hell. Before the Thursday night game last week, I picked Indy as my survival team. Then again when I checked Sunday morning, I double checked that I had made a selection. Now yahoo is saying I didn't pick anyone. That's really damn annoying.

I'm doing pretty well in pick 'em this year, in the top 3 for all leagues.

SenorBeef 11-11-2018 06:46 PM

Our last perfect survivor, BigDadWolf, got a strike today with the Jets over the Bills.

SenorBeef 11-19-2018 07:10 AM

Ugly day in survival, 5 strikes and 3 eliminations - myself, Isotopes, and Bor!

I'm still butthurt that my week 7 winning entry of Indianapolis wasn't saved properly, because I only really should have 2 strikes. Oh well, I'll probably play along unofficially until I get my third real strike.

SenorBeef 11-25-2018 12:55 PM

My make believe playalong pick due to having an erroneous extra strike is New England this week.

SenorBeef 11-25-2018 02:59 PM

Props to Mike's Shitty Set, who actually picked the Browns in survival this week along with 0.06% of the rest of the survivors. That's gotta be the lowest percentage winning pick we've had.

Hi, Neighbor! 11-25-2018 11:29 PM

Definitely bold! Mainly because I'm running out of good teams. And last week I went with Indianapolis over Tennessee which had just a 0.34% pick share. Outdid myself this week, though.

SenorBeef 12-02-2018 04:14 AM

My playalong pick this week would be Seattle.

SenorBeef 12-09-2018 12:20 PM

Playalong pick this week is Pittsburgh.

asterion 12-09-2018 07:46 PM

Man, two really bad weeks in a row.

garygnu 12-09-2018 08:12 PM

Did I just "win" Survival?

SenorBeef 12-09-2018 10:41 PM

You did. Congratulations. I'll post an order of standings overall later.

BigDadWolf 12-10-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garygnu (Post 21369092)
Did I just "win" Survival?

Congrats. The last few weeks were crazy unpredictable.

garygnu 12-11-2018 02:28 PM

I got lucky with my remaining available teams. I probably would have picked the Steelers over the Raiders this last week. Instead I picked a bad team over a terrible team.

SenorBeef 12-30-2018 04:00 PM

I didn't bother to look closely at who had a reason to play week 17 and who didn't, which lead to all sorts of bad choices in pick 'em today.

SenorBeef 01-05-2019 06:59 PM

Reminder: We still pick through the playoffs.

I tried to copy and paste the results through the regular season, but despite trying a few different ways to copy and paste I can't get the damn formatting to work right, even in a code box, so I'll just figure it out later at the end of the playoffs with the final scores.

BigDadWolf 02-06-2019 09:49 PM

So Jahiegel won the confidence league and I'm pretty sure more or less led throughout the season. Well played and congratulations.