Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Happy Doper Milestones thread (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=668428)

TruCelt 10-06-2019 07:04 PM

Congratulations Mrs. Sam!

Tangent 10-06-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruCelt (Post 21901564)
Congratulations Mrs. Sam!

I think you mean Dr. Mrs. Sam. ;)

TruCelt 10-07-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tangent (Post 21901600)
I think you mean Dr. Mrs. Sam. ;)

I stand corrected. Congratulations to the Dr. Formerly known as Mrs. Sam.

Sunny Daze 10-07-2019 12:53 PM

Congratulations to Dr. Sam! That is really impressive. It's extremely hard to get through graduate school at all, let alone keep coming back and starting over. She has my whole-hearted respect.

AHunter3 11-15-2019 10:56 PM

I've Got The Cover for my Book!

ftg 11-16-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHunter3 (Post 21976034)

Fixed link.

AHunter3 11-16-2019 09:38 AM

Thanks ftg! The board was being weird and wouldn't refresh after I edited. Kept giving me timeout messages. Figured it would be one time when I did need to review my edit...

Misnomer 11-27-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHunter3 (Post 21976034)

Nice! Congrats!! :)

margin 12-19-2019 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roderick Femm (Post 20276638)
This 6-week period between Memorial Day and July 4th represents 25 years with my now-husband (only 2+ years formally married). We met on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend 1992, and moved in together on July 1.

I don't think anyone, least of all me, would have predicted that this relationship would last. We are complete opposites in many ways, he was on the rebound from a 13-year relationship, but I was just finishing up 2 years of therapy and I was very open to taking chances. I said to myself "what's the worst thing that can happen?" and jumped in with both feet.

Earlier this year I persuaded him to visit his family in Japan by himself for once (nice people, but I get so bored). We had never been apart for so long before, and especially I had never stayed at home while he traveled before, and it was a very long two weeks. We have problems and issues like any couple does, I suppose. Growing older, even together, is no picnic; and I begin to understand what happens to the survivor of a long-term couple when the other one dies first. But I dread to think what I would have turned into if I had never met him.

This is so sweet. The fact that you have perception sufficient to ask that type of question about your fate seems to suggest that you are too hard on yourself, if I may say so. You are each very lucky to have found the other. Congratulations!

Olentzero 01-13-2020 07:48 AM

Might as well throw one in to kick off 2020...

Friday marked the 11th anniversary of my arrival in Sweden, and the first one that saw me (finally) the bearer of both Swedish citizenship and a Swedish passport. It ain't been easy, but these days I have a sweet job doing something I'm freakin' good at, my own place, and a life I'm actually pretty satisfied with.

A guy could do worse at 50 for sure.