Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Obvious things about a creative work you realize after the millionth time (OPEN SPOILERS POSSIBLE) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=525685)

needscoffee 02-02-2010 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas (Post 12062208)
As I've posted before, for about a year I thought there was a singer named "Fiancee" that I kept hearing about, and one named "Be-younce" that I kept reading about.

Image my :smack: when I put 1+1 together and got one

They only became one and the same after he put a ring on it.

kidneyfailure 02-02-2010 02:45 AM

Koxinga (if you even remember this thread), I'm gonna have to take issue with your observation about Vladimir and Estragon calling each other "brother" in China on the grounds that "gogo" does not mean brother in Mandarin. You're confusing it with "gege," dude.

Koxinga 02-02-2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidneyfailure (Post 12066110)
Koxinga (if you even remember this thread), I'm gonna have to take issue with your observation about Vladimir and Estragon calling each other "brother" in China on the grounds that "gogo" does not mean brother in Mandarin. You're confusing it with "gege," dude.

Yes, I'm sure I'm confusing it. :rolleyes: I bow to your obviously superior of knowledge of the Chinese language, 兄弟.

kidneyfailure 02-02-2010 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koxinga (Post 12066128)
Yes, I'm sure I'm confusing it. :rolleyes: I bow to your obviously superior of knowledge of the Chinese language, 兄弟.

You being sarcastic or serious, 同志? Because it's not romanized or pronounced as "gogo," and the tone of my my next response will be decided on whether or not you're being an ass. That eyeroll is confusing.

Koxinga 02-02-2010 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidneyfailure (Post 12066136)
and the tone of my my next response will be decided on whether or not you're being an ass.

You can decide that yourself by answering three questions: (1) when was Waiting for Godot written; (2) when was hanyu pinyin invented; and (3) would Beckett have any sort of obligation to stick to any formal transliteration system whatsoever rather than playing it by ear, if indeed he did want to pepper his play with a couple of Chinese words?

"同志", indeed. Thanks, but I can't claim to be quite that fabulous.

ETA: Bonus question!

Quote:

Because it's not romanized or pronounced as "gogo,"

Not pronounced that way in English, sure. But,

Q: In what language was Waiting For Godot originally written?

melodyharmonius 02-02-2010 08:13 AM

I was watching Gilmore Girls the other day and it suddenly hit me: Luke & Lorelei, Luke & Laura.

I should have realized they were destined to be an intermingling couple from the beginning.

Shot From Guns 02-02-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos (Post 12064896)
I probably would have been, had I seen that commercial. What was the reasoning there, quilting is something done by little old ladies, and so is knitting, so they must be the same thing?

I think it was just "I'm a moronic ad person with a crackerjack box Communications degree who can't even check Wikipedia to verify how quilting actually works." It was quite a while back (probably 5-10 years), and I don't think the ads were out for very long (a few weeks, maybe a few months) before they fixed them (probably after a deluge of "THAT'S NOT QUILTING, YOU FUCKING RETARDS" letters on very nice old-lady stationery).

Shot From Guns 02-02-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koxinga (Post 12066128)
I bow to your obviously superior of knowledge of the Chinese language, 兄弟.

Quote:

You being sarcastic or serious, 同志?

Translations for those of us playing along at home, please. I'd make guesses based on Japanese, but given that 手紙 is letter (as in a missive) in Japanese but toilet paper in Chinese, that may not have optimal results.

FWIW, the first one is the same as kyoudai (sibling) in Japanese, while the latter would be doushi (comrade/kindred spirit).

kidneyfailure 02-02-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koxinga (Post 12066143)
You can decide that yourself by answering three questions: (1) when was Waiting for Godot written; (2) when was hanyu pinyin invented; and (3) would Beckett have any sort of obligation to stick to any formal transliteration system whatsoever rather than playing it by ear, if indeed he did want to pepper his play with a couple of Chinese words?

"同志", indeed. Thanks, but I can't claim to be quite that fabulous.

ETA: Bonus question!

Not pronounced that way in English, sure. But,

Q: In what language was Waiting For Godot originally written?

1) 48 or 49.

2) 50's. But there were plenty of other romanizations before that, and I'm fairly sure none of them romanized 哥哥 as "gogo."

3) Even if he was "playing by ear," it still wouldn't be "gogo!" It doesn't even sound like "gogo" at all.

You yourself have acknowledged that no one else in this thread believes your theory, someone else has given a much more plausible (VlaDImir EstraGOn) theory, and still another has pointed out that there's no evidence to support the notion that this is anything more than a coincidence. Maybe get the 简体中文版 of the text and look up what they call each other there.

Either way, I think you're wrong.

kidneyfailure 02-02-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shot From Guns (Post 12067369)
FWIW, the first one is the same as kyoudai (sibling) in Japanese, while the latter would be doushi (comrade/kindred spirit).

Close enough

Koxinga 02-02-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidneyfailure (Post 12069489)
Either way, I think you're wrong.

I think you're confused on what forum you're in. But I'll certainly take your opinion into consideration with all the respect and deference I feel it deserves. You don't know what impact it makes on me, truly.

With that, I bow out of this silly hijack. Toodle-oo.

kidneyfailure 02-02-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koxinga (Post 12069531)
I think you're confused on what forum you're in. But I'll certainly take your opinion into consideration with all the respect and deference I feel it deserves. You don't know what impact it makes on me, truly.

With that, I bow out of this silly hijack. Toodle-oo.

:::shrug:::

Sorry if you feel upset. I thought we were just having a conversation about this. Whatever, though.

Back to the thread.

rowrrbazzle 02-02-2010 08:28 PM

If Peter Morris is still reading this thread, here's my rendition of the alphabet song on the left channel and "twinkle twinkle" on the right. I'm using the American version of the former, and since he's British, he may be referring to a different version.

jackdavinci 02-07-2010 03:04 AM

I feel particularly lame about this one, as I truly only realized it just this moment.

Green Arrow's secret identity is Oliver Queen. Olive are green. And it's practically "Olive Green" Sigh...

enigmatic 02-07-2010 03:09 AM

Blindingly obvious, but I missed it through the entire book

Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book" is a retelling of "The Jungle Book" :smack:

Mister Rik 02-07-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdavinci (Post 12087516)
I feel particularly lame about this one, as I truly only realized it just this moment.

Green Arrow's secret identity is Oliver Queen. Olive are green. And it's practically "Olive Green" Sigh...

That reminds me: Olive Oyl. Olive oil (for cooking) is usually labeled "extra virgin", so I've always kind of wondered if the cartoon character's name was slyly chosen with the idea that neither Popeye nor Brutus could ever get anywhere with her without the other interfering. Essentially, the two sailors created a perpetual cock-blocking loop, leaving Olive "extra virgin".

(And what the hell does "extra virgin" mean, anyway? Virginity, like pregnancy, is a binary proposition: you are or you're not. There's no room for "extra" or "slightly" or any other adjective of degree.)

Rilchiam 02-07-2010 10:07 AM

Virgin olive oil is from the first pressing. Extra virgin has less acidity than mere virgin. I guess the olives are more pure to begin with.

caligulathegod 02-07-2010 10:21 AM

Trivia: Olive's mother is Nana Oyl, dad is Cole Oyl, brother is Caster Oyl.

Annie-Xmas 02-07-2010 12:19 PM

I grew up in Boston. I am a wino.

I recently started collecting culinary mysteries. I was going through the mysteries in my library and I saw one called "Murder on the Vineyard." "Ah, a wine culinary mystery!" I thought.

Turns out it was one of a series set on Martha's Vineyard.

I grew up in Boston. I am a wino. I never once thought of Martha's Vineyard in terms of grapes, wine, or inebrieation. :smack:

FordTaurusSHO94 02-07-2010 08:37 PM

I noticed today that the dummy on Muthbusters, named Buster, is named after the show...

Lamia 02-07-2010 09:39 PM

For some reason, perhaps the heavy snowfall around here recently, I was thinking about early-90s one hit wonder Snow and looked up the video for "Informer" (said one hit) online. I remember seeing this video back in the day, and when the song information came up on the screen I was thinking "Oh yeah, I remember his album was called 12 Inches of Snow, and it was funny because his name was Snow and there could be like a foot of snow on the ground and...:smack:"

In 1992 I was young enough that I honestly did not see the title 12 Inches of Snow as being anything other than a weather-related joke. It's immediately obvious to me now that it's a double-entendre with the primary meaning actually being a boast about the size of Snow's...icicle...but this never occurred to me while "Informer" was still in the charts and I hadn't thought about it since.

Irishman 02-07-2010 11:30 PM

Speaking of The Sound of Music hit "Do-Re-Mi", I just had one in this thread.

One of the lines is

"Fa, a long, long way to go."

This always bugged me, "Wow, that's a real stretch for far."

Recently, I learned about non-rhotic speakers and dropping the r sounds, so you get the vowel of ah-uh (the vowel drops slightly at the end).

Fa, Fauh, Fa, Fauh. Hey, that's not that bad a stretch after all. :smack:

Superfluous Parentheses 02-08-2010 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamia (Post 12090410)
I remember seeing this video back in the day, and when the song information came up on the screen I was thinking "Oh yeah, I remember his album was called 12 Inches of Snow, and it was funny because his name was Snow and there could be like a foot of snow on the ground and...:smack:

Also, 12 inches is the diameter of an LP.

Annie-Xmas 02-08-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdavinci (Post 12087516)

I read comic books. I have a HUGE comic book collection.

I watch Smallville because Justin Hartley, who I loved as Fox Crane in Passions, plays a great Green Arrow.

I also have a "thing" for colors, and have a bunch of books about colors.

I never once noticed that:smack:

JohnT 02-08-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas (Post 12062208)
As I've posted before, for about a year I thought there was a singer named "Fiancee" that I kept hearing about, and one named "Be-younce" that I kept reading about.

Image my :smack: when I put 1+1 together and got one

I had the same issue, but with different people: I thought that Justin Timberlake and Timbaland were either:

1. The same person, or (more likely),
2. That "Timbaland" was the name of Timberlake's production company.

Oops. Oh well.

I'm reminded of the day when my grandfather, in trying to show me how in tune he was with modern society, accurately pointed out the Beatles in a drawing of the Beatles.

In 1978.

Now... get off my lawn!

Lamia 02-08-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfluous Parentheses (Post 12091174)

That occurred to me as well, but by 1992 that would have been a rather dated reference.

melodyharmonius 02-08-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfluous Parentheses (Post 12091174)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamia (Post 12091783)
That occurred to me as well, but by 1992 that would have been a rather dated reference.

Wasn't it in the early 90s when bands were trying to show how "old school" and "deep" they were by getting vinyl pressings of their albums released in addition to their tapes and CDs?

Just thinking aloud. I remember the Fugees doing that - and thinking how pretentious that seemed to me.

Shot From Guns 02-09-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnT (Post 12091454)
2. That "Timbaland" was the name of Timberlake's production company.

Wait... It's not? [Wikis.] Oh damn, it's not!

Quote:

Originally Posted by melodyharmonius (Post 12091922)
Wasn't it in the early 90s when bands were trying to show how "old school" and "deep" they were by getting vinyl pressings of their albums released in addition to their tapes and CDs?

Uh, these days, pretty much everybody but shitty mainstream bands releases their stuff on vinyl. Maybe even some of the shitty mainstream bands, too. I've heard that for a lot of music stores (especially small independent ones), vinyl actually sells better than CDs: the hyper-nerds buy vinyl, while the people who used to buy CDs just buy MP3s instead.

Annie-Xmas 02-11-2010 08:49 AM

Joe Mantegna is the voice of Fat Tony? I watch both The Simpsons and Criminal Minds and didn't realize this?

Damn, Mantegna should be doing more voice over work.

E-Sabbath 02-11-2010 11:36 AM

http://www.gog.com/en/newsletter/activision_week3
Space Quest, anyone? Three games, ten bucks.

Shot From Guns 02-11-2010 12:11 PM

E-Sabbath, am I missing something or did you post that to the wrong thread?

Lemur866 02-11-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antinor01 (Post 12028151)
I don't think I posted this before, but I'm not searching for it right now.

My Wizard of Oz 'can't believe I didn't catch that' thing is that my mental image of the map of Oz was reversed. I always pictured the witch of the wests castle as being the eastern side of the map and Munchkin land as being to the west. I really don't know why except that I have a vague recollection of seeing a map of Oz that way...though I could very well be mistaken.

That's because maps of Oz had the Winkie country and the WWW's castle on the right side of the map, and the Munchkin country and the WWE's castle on the left side of the map.

This was very likely because whoever they hired to draw the map back in 190x Did Not Do the Research, and Just Didn't Care. But it later became established Oz cannon that in the land of Oz East and West are reversed. It is a fairyland after all.

The Piranha Brothers 02-11-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! (Post 11398681)
I tend to miss basic plot elements until the tenth reading or so, never mind hidden meanings and such.

F'r instance, Terry Pratchett's Small Gods. I'm reading it for aproximately the one billionth time, and it occurs to me that deserts are a reoccuring theme here. There's the deserts that prophets are associated with, the deserts around the citadel, the desert in the afterlife, the desert that Vorbis sneaks his troops across, the desert that Brutha crosses with Om and Vorbis... No, this hadn't occured to me before. :smack:

Thinking some more on Pratchett's oeuvre, I realized that Thief Of Time was a meditation on the meaning of humanity, along with its cons and pros. You know, because just about every character short of Jason struggles with that very issue over the course of the book?

And The Last Continent, in addition to being about Asutralia, is about sex. Not just the bit with the God of Evolution- the whole UU wizards subplot is about Mrs. Whitlow, and the effect she has on them.

Some day I will discover some other stunningly obvious theme while rereading my Discworld collection, and I will be sure give myself a :smack:.

Pratchett is just full of little references. Sator Square for example. There is a website somewhere that explains them page by page.

The Piranha Brothers 02-11-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquilla (Post 11610494)
Disney's The Lion King = Hamlet. A professor of mine pointed that out, and it just makes sense. Not that I would've ever caught on it, and I've seen it several times o.x

I grew up with disney movies. We saw The Hunchback of Notre dame when it came out and twice or so afterwards, and it wasn't until this year that the connotation of what Frollo wants with Esmeralda really hit me o.x;

Aren't the Gargoyles called Victor and Hugo? Victor Hugo was the writer...

The Piranha Brothers 02-11-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superhal (Post 11573101)
Trivia noteSherlock Holmes was actually a total jerk who treated Watson like a retarded child. "Elementary, my dear Watson" actually means "What an idiot you are, Watson." I figured this out after becoming a huge fan of House MD and learning it was based on Sherlock Holmes.

(As a side note, this is also a very famous fact: House and Wilson are supposedly Holmes and Watson.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshar253 (Post 11673043)
I am replying to this over a month after it was posted, but I couldn't let this slide.

Did you ever read the Sherlock Holmes stories? Sherlock and Watson had a very good relationship. Sherlock was cold, sure, and he had his flaws, but it was apparent that he cared for Watson very much.

Also, Sherlock never said, "Elementary, my dear Watson." He said things were elementary, and he used the phrase "my dear Watson," but it's a misconception that "Elementary, my dear Watson," was some kind of trademark phrase in Doyle's stories.

And Sherlock Holmes was based on doctor Joseph Bell. In one episode House even has a book written by Joseph Bell which he throws in the bin.

The Piranha Brothers 02-11-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The New and Improved Superman (Post 12063445)
In 2000, there was an intriguing movie called Shadow of the Vampire. It's a meta-fiction film that posits the idea the F.W. Murnau, director of the legendary silent horror film Nosferatu used a real "live" vampire to act as the vampire in the film.

I don't know if spoiler tags are necessary for a ten year old film, but just in case....

SPOILER:
The 2000 film's climax occurs as Murnau is filming the final scene for the movie. A key plot point is that the actress playing the heroine in "Nosferatu" doesn't know that she's doing a scene with a real vampire, and certainly doesn't know that Murnau has promised the vampire that he can actually drink her blood. She catches on though when she happens to glance into the mirror and see that the 'actor' playing the vampire has no reflection.

Anyway, I happen to buy a DVD copy of "Nosferatu" several days ago, and watched it for the first time in years. I noticed that the set for that final scene, which "Shadow" duplicated precisely, also has a mirror in the very same corner. BUT, in the original film the vampire does have a reflection! Given the amount of research that obviously was done on the original film, I can't imagine that this is a goof. Rather, I think it was a deliberate 'inaccuracy' meant as a wink*wink*nudge*nudge* to all the folks who actually bothered to watch the original film.

(On a small side note, had I known I could have watched the whole film on youtube, I wouldn't even have bothered with the $6.00 DVD.)

The non-reflection in Shadow of the Vampire is obviously done deliberately, knowing that there was a reflection in the original.

But the reflection in the original movie?
You do realise I hope that Nosferatu was made in 1922? They didn't even have sound or colour film, let alone special effects.
Of course they could have taken the mirror off the wall. But I doubt if much research went into it; it was just an illegal adaptation of Bram Stoker's novel.

And anyway, in the movie "Bram Stoker's Dracula" Dracula can walk in broad daylight! It doesn't hurt him, although it reduces him to a low powered vampire. (Start Eddie Izzard sketch...)

KneadToKnow 02-11-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Piranha Brothers (Post 12106312)
But the reflection in the original movie?
You do realise I hope that Nosferatu was made in 1922? They didn't even have sound or colour film, let alone special effects.

Making a mirror not reflect what the audience expects it to reflect doesn't take much in the way of special effects, and was totally within the capabilities of 1922 filmmakers.

JSexton 02-11-2010 01:52 PM

It just suddenly clicked for me that the Xanth series by legendary hack Piers Anthony is self-titled. PiersAnthony. PierXanthony. Xanth.

God, what a egomaniac.

Kamino Neko 02-11-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

They didn't even have sound or colour film, let alone special effects.

:dubious:

Of course they had special effects - hell, Nosferatu added to the standard vampire mythos with special effects - a fade was used to make Orlok disintegrate in the sun. A point that doesn't exist in Stoker's novel.

Interiors were filmed in a studio, not in real buildings, so it's not like they couldn't use camera angles, a hole in the wall, a photograph, or any number of other tricks to make the mirror not reflect Shreck, if they felt it was important - look outside the window, it's clear they weren't too concerned with making things look realistic. (Or, of course, they could have just not put one where it would reflect him.)

Now, to make the two versions of the scene mesh, one could assume that Murnau, after killing the real Orlok, went back and refilmed the scene with an actor, making sure to get him in a mirror to hide the fact that he originally filmed it with a real no-reflection vampire.

Chronos 02-11-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

This was very likely because whoever they hired to draw the map back in 190x Did Not Do the Research, and Just Didn't Care. But it later became established Oz cannon that in the land of Oz East and West are reversed. It is a fairyland after all.
Thank you for not making those into links to you-know-where. You've saved poor innocent posters countless hours of surfing.

E-Sabbath 02-11-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shot From Guns (Post 12105860)
E-Sabbath, am I missing something or did you post that to the wrong thread?

Posted it to the wrong thread. I meant to post it to the 'digital bargains' thread. My bad.

Trepa Mayfield 02-11-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos (Post 12106735)
Thank you for not making those into links to you-know-where. You've saved poor innocent posters countless hours of surfing.

I wonder how many of us are Tropers, anyway?

The Piranha Brothers 02-11-2010 05:52 PM

Many people, when in Salzburg, will visit the saltmines and suddenly realise that's where the city got it's name from. The same is probably true of Salt Lake City.

The Piranha Brothers 02-11-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KneadToKnow (Post 12106432)
Making a mirror not reflect what the audience expects it to reflect doesn't take much in the way of special effects, and was totally within the capabilities of 1922 filmmakers.

Is that so? I don't know. Supposing the mirror is there by accident, how would they have removed the monsters reflection?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tengu (Post 12106445)
:dubious:

Of course they had special effects - hell, Nosferatu added to the standard vampire mythos with special effects - a fade was used to make Orlok disintegrate in the sun. A point that doesn't exist in Stoker's novel.

Interiors were filmed in a studio, not in real buildings, so it's not like they couldn't use camera angles, a hole in the wall, a photograph, or any number of other tricks to make the mirror not reflect Shreck, if they felt it was important - look outside the window, it's clear they weren't too concerned with making things look realistic. (Or, of course, they could have just not put one where it would reflect him.)

Now, to make the two versions of the scene mesh, one could assume that Murnau, after killing the real Orlok, went back and refilmed the scene with an actor, making sure to get him in a mirror to hide the fact that he originally filmed it with a real no-reflection vampire.

In Shadow of the Vampire his reflection is clearly absent on purpose. In Nosferatu I can't immediately think of a trick that was available in 1922. Replacing the mirror with a photo, or removing it alltogether, yes. A hole in the wall? For an identical but mirrorred room you mean? But is the reflection there in on purpose?

Perhaps they simply did not care or did not pick up on the fact that vampires aren't supposed to be visible in the mirror. After all, it isn't vitally important in the book.

Lamia 02-11-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

And anyway, in the movie "Bram Stoker's Dracula" Dracula can walk in broad daylight! It doesn't hurt him, although it reduces him to a low powered vampire.

That's not just in the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula, it's in Bram Stoker's Dracula as well. Count Dracula can go out during the day if he wants to, but he apparently doesn't like it and his powers are more limited than they are at night. He does it when he has to, though. In Chapter 24 Dracula is described as visiting the docks at about 5 pm (more than an hour before sunset) wearing "a hat of straw which suit not him or the time" to arrange for passage out of England.

BrainGlutton 02-11-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas (Post 11372730)
Yesterday I was walking down the street singing "Yellow Submarine"

Sky of blue and sea of green
In our yellow submarine

when it hit me:

Blue-green-yellow
To make blue green, yellow is added.

Actually, I doubt that ever occurred even to the Beatles.

BrainGlutton 02-11-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Piranha Brothers (Post 12107449)
Many people, when in Salzburg, will visit the saltmines and suddenly realise that's where the city got it's name from. The same is probably true of Salt Lake City.

No, actually, that comes from when the Mormons first arrived in Utah. Their scouts reported back to Brigham Young: "It's the promised land! Most of the time we'll have nothing to do but fish and make love!"

Giggles came from the tent of Young's 27 wives.

Brigham ordered: "Salt the lake!"

Chronos 02-11-2010 07:22 PM

The simplest way to make a mirror not show a reflection of the vampire is to just choose your camera angles carefully, and that was certainly within their capabilities of the time. Next-simplest would be to make it a window onto a duplicate room, instead of an actual mirror, but they might have objected to the cost of an entire duplicate set. If the camera position was fixed, they could use a still picture (painting or photograph) of the reflection of the empty room in the mirror frame, though that would be given away if the camera ever moved. And even if the camera moved and the mirror were free-standing in the middle of the room, if they can move the camera precisely and in a replicable way, they could make one run through the scene without the actors, then put a green cover over the mirror, and do it again with the vampire actor (though I don't know when the green-screen process was invented; probably some time after colored film, or at least after Technicolor).

Electric Warrior 02-11-2010 08:21 PM

I only recently realized how many rock riffs were written in the pentatonic scale. Several years after being told by my guitar teacher that it was the best scale for improvising in, too.

Fair Rarity 02-12-2010 08:41 AM

I love the Golden Girls. Sophia was always talking about her horrible nursing home, Shady Pines.

It just occurred to me this morning that shady is also a joke implying sketchy, not tree-lined.