Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New and Unimproved Workplace Rants (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=772132)

MagicEyes 09-27-2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix (Post 19659426)
I get out on the interstate, and immediately get stuck in traffic because of a jackknifed tractor trailer (and the associated cleanup efforts) blocking one lane. Being a polite person, I call up the doctor's office to let them know I'm running about 10 minutes late...and am told that, even though I'm scheduled to be the last appointment of the day, they'll just have to reschedule the appointment. In November. :smack:

They just wanted to leave early, didn't they? :rolleyes: Does your doctor ever see you at the actual appointment time?

Jeep's Phoenix 09-28-2016 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicEyes (Post 19659992)
They just wanted to leave early, didn't they? :rolleyes: Does your doctor ever see you at the actual appointment time?

That's what I'm thinking. :( Given the length of time a typical appointment takes, I still would have been out the door before closing time, even arriving late.

Nava 09-28-2016 03:12 AM

I know I tend to have my music on the low side, but seriously, if I've got 1, 2, 3, Links on and I can understand your instructions to your customer, you may want to use your indoor voice. Using your headset might also be a bonus. I really shouldn't be hearing data details from a customer not my own.

Cat Whisperer 09-28-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiz (Post 19645478)
Hey stranger! How've you been?

No stranger than you! :)

Okay, maybe a little, but you can't prove anything!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 19645512)
:)

Guilty as charged. Now it is MY most successful thread ever! Muahahahaha!! :cool:

I hand you the crown. {Bows with flourish.}

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 19645690)
I get really tired of a permanent 'state of urgency'. This is just STRESS CITY and not only isn't very productive, it is like acid to your organization. People burn out and leave. People get tired of being yelled at and leave. People get tired of the false urgency and get passive aggressive about it to retain their sanity.<snip>

"False urgency" is exactly right - I recall one episode where getting some accounting thing was A MAJOR PANIC THIS MUST BE DONE IMMEDIATELY!!!!1!!! Then we couldn't pull a miracle out of our asses, and the response was, "Well, try to get it done for tomorrow." That was a major eye-opener for me - I will make a good effort to get things done, but I am not buying into anyone else's panic any longer.

Eureka 09-28-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net (Post 19659361)
Where do you work that they still have individual proce ,arkings on each package, instead of just having them ring up at the register?

I'm not going to specify my employer. I will say that on 95% or more of our non-produce products, individual items have barcodes which are scanned at the register. Products do not neccessarily have price tags.

However, if we have a bunch of individual items that we just want to go away, putting markdown price stickers on them makes it happen faster. Both because the price is usually lower and because any time it is *obvious* what the price is, people find the product more interesting.

There are blurry lines here-- most "seasonal" product never gets a markdown sticker on it, just a sign nearby stating what percent off it is today.

Filbert 09-28-2016 02:16 PM

Gahh.

Incredibly frustrating shift. I'm working as a barista at the moment, and had a morning working with the company twit. The guy you have to tell every single day that "Ok, you're on table clearing duty" does not mean clear tables once, then spend the next half hour washing every single item when every single table now has empty atuff on it, and customers are circling looking for a space , the either leaving all the clean cups in the back room or bringing all the clean stuff out at once and taking up the whole counter.

Then the afternoon shift. The girl I was working with is someone I've never exactly got on with, but we've never really had a problem, until today.

Basically she kept trying to give me too many orders at once, even after me saying that nope, no way I'll be remembering all that lot. So orders got missed and messed up, and customers started complaining, obviously to me, the person handing out the wrong orders, not her (hey, they heard her tell me, they just didn't hear the other 6 orders that I'm trying to hold in memory at once, neither do they know what our normal procedures are,).

What she should have done is make some drinks herself if the queue's going down, or if the backlog is getting that big, or give me them one or two at a time, but she just declared that she was telling me them all (even if I didn't hear them all) so it wasn't her fault if I wasn't listening, then just stood there watching me mess up. Even when people were complaining, right I front of her, that they had ordered ages ago, and hadn't got a drink, she wasn't telling me what the order was.

Then she declared that she wasn't going to discuss it in front of customers, like I could just ask the queue to wait while we went into the back for a chat or something.

Then she declared that she wasn't going to talk to me at all :rolleyes:

Yeah, girl's pissed off that she's not been offered a permanent contract, and she's quite possibly got a grudge against me because I keep telling her what to do (reads: was asked to help train her). But damn I'm sick of working with teenagers even of some of them are in their twenties.

Nava 09-29-2016 03:08 AM

I have a question: would it be weird if I started asking in interviews "do you have carpet"?

We do. The A/C hasn't been cleaned in months, but it does get cleaned periodically; the carpet hasn't been shampooed since don't ask me when. And as soon as I get to work it's like someone has poured concrete up my sinuses.

Eureka 09-29-2016 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nava (Post 19662822)
I have a question: would it be weird if I started asking in interviews "do you have carpet"?

We do. The A/C hasn't been cleaned in months, but it does get cleaned periodically; the carpet hasn't been shampooed since don't ask me when. And as soon as I get to work it's like someone has poured concrete up my sinuses.

I vote Probably a little weird, but worth it.

Chimera 09-29-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

It could become weird if the person answers "Yes, and it matches the curtains".

:p

Kimballkid 09-29-2016 01:43 PM

Ba Dum Dum

Lightray 09-29-2016 02:18 PM

I have a workplace UNrant: I've been miscounting my vacation days all year, it seems. Instead of having 11 left, turns out I have 16 left:

1. I am dumb.
2. Damn, I need to take more vacation. Bad Lightray, bad!
3. No, I won't be giving any of it to you lot.

Jeep's Phoenix 09-29-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

The A/C hasn't been cleaned in months, but it does get cleaned periodically; the carpet hasn't been shampooed since don't ask me when. And as soon as I get to work it's like someone has poured concrete up my sinuses.

The filters at my workplace get changed periodically, but I don't know when the system was last cleaned. I've known them to have the carpets spot-shampooed once since I've been working there. Shortly after I started, I spilled some water in a spot in my office that had never seen foot traffic (it was sort of in a corner, and the furniture hadn't been moved since the carpet had been installed). I used a paper towel to blot up some of the water; whatever the towel picked up from the carpet turned it black.

alphaboi867 09-29-2016 06:51 PM

So fuck the fucking dumbass cyclist who was riding his bike on the wrong fucking said of the road this morning while I was driving to work. :mad: Newsflash bicycles are vehicles and always travel with the direction of traffic, not against it.

Nava 10-03-2016 04:41 AM

I just explained to an end user that having the "Simulation" flag on means the program will not take any actions, it will just give a list of "things that meet the conditions given".

"Oh. So it's like a simulation?"

Yes ma'am, just like a simulation...

Chimera 10-04-2016 11:51 AM

Goddamn you, Manager. And to think I actually liked and respected you.

The answer to 'This team needs a manager who has time to manage the team' is not 'well perhaps you won't be happy working here". That is petty anger and arrogance.

Perhaps you won't be happy working here as a fucking manager if you can't find the time to actually manage your fucking team. :mad:

Calatin 10-04-2016 12:46 PM

The mini-est of the mini-rants.

We get a per diem everyday for work, through a third party service that will deliver from three random restaurants on any given day. When I place my order, I always ask for them to hold the lettuce, as I'm just really not able to stomach it for whatever reason, and I've felt somewhat queasy already, since last night.

So, of course, when my sandwich came in, it has that shredded lettuce all over, to the point where if I tried to scrape it all off, I'm essentially losing everything but the meat (sauce, cheese, tomato, etc.).

The restaurant has messed up before, and our receptionist always advocates having the restaurant fix the order, but that results in the poor delivery guys having to go all the way back to the restaurant, and come back to my workplace, just because I don't want lettuce - completely unnecessary and I'd never make them do it, because I like the guys and don't want to give them additional hassle / tasks for mistakes that aren't their fault. Since I didn't have dinner yesterday, due to aforementioned queasiness, I was starving today at lunch, and tried to work around the greens, to no avail, so I've made a few trips to the bathroom, worried I might literally lose my lunch.

Like I said - pathetic rant that makes me look ungrateful for my gift horse of a free meal, but what's the point in having "special instructions" when you order, if the restaurant isn't going to follow them?

kaylasdad99 10-05-2016 02:34 AM

Maybe if you word your special instruction as "Put the lettuce on the side," they'll pay attention to it.

Typo Knig 10-05-2016 08:33 AM

Calatin, in my ticked-off-for-other-reasons opinion, there needs to be a consequence for the restaurant consistently screwing up your order. Send the guys back - that's a cost the restaurant will bear and either they'll fix it, or they'll lose money. On your end, recognize that their food is making you sick. Tell the person who arranges the order that if it happens once more, you'll not be ordering from that restaurant because their food is making you sick. Also, ask the higher-ups to remove that restaurant from the list. Ask your ordering person to let the restaurant know they are in danger of losing a reliable corporate customer. My two cents.

MissTake 10-05-2016 11:42 AM

Our team moved across the floor a few weeks ago. Shouldn't have been a big deal.
Walk in - there's another worker sitting at my desk. "You want me to move?" Yeah, your cube is down there. She was miffed that I actually wanted to use my own desk! THEN she suggested I give her a heads up when I am planning on being in office. Uh, no? YOU HAVE YOUR OWN DESK, you just don't like being near boss's office so you can't play on facebook all day.

One of my coworkers that I call Velcro (because she's too stupid to tie her own shoes) is now sitting next to me. Fuck. She could not access the printer today. I suggested she call IT. No, I do not need a word for word replay of your conversation. Still not working? Call them again. Again, no replay needed. Yes, I am going to see an attorney about a case. Thank you for giving me your opinion of said attorney. Will you shut the fuck up for two damn minutes so I can actually get some work done? Why yes, I am running out of here, partially so I don't get a parking ticket and partially so I can have some peace and quiet away from you!

Calatin 10-05-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 (Post 19676842)
Maybe if you word your special instruction as "Put the lettuce on the side," they'll pay attention to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typo Knig (Post 19677183)
Calatin, in my ticked-off-for-other-reasons opinion, there needs to be a consequence for the restaurant consistently screwing up your order. Send the guys back - that's a cost the restaurant will bear and either they'll fix it, or they'll lose money. On your end, recognize that their food is making you sick. Tell the person who arranges the order that if it happens once more, you'll not be ordering from that restaurant because their food is making you sick. Also, ask the higher-ups to remove that restaurant from the list. Ask your ordering person to let the restaurant know they are in danger of losing a reliable corporate customer. My two cents.

And what the fucking fuck? Today, another diner (we have about 20 restaurants or so in our three-per-day rotation, ranging from Chili's to more local fare) did the same thing.

Honestly, if the deliverymen worked for the restaurant, instead of a third party service, I really would. Thing is, these poor guys are hassled enough, and even though it is part of their job, I would feel like a huge asshole to send them back because of a single hamburger. For example, today, two of the three restaurants are already running late, and it's not because of the delivery guys. If I were to re-order, it'd just add undue hassle on them.

Also, I've learned that it would take a lot to pull a place out of the rotation. We had one restaurant deliver 20+ people's worth of food late, and they didn't place any sort of identifier on any of the packaging. The poor delivery guys had to go through all the receipts, open up all the food and try to match them with the order confirmations. An e-mail was sent out stating that we wouldn't be using that restaurant again, but sure enough, two weeks later, they were an option.

First world problem, I know, but this is getting ridiculous.

Kimballkid 10-05-2016 01:57 PM

Who puts shredded lettuce on a hamburger? The only one I can think of is McDonald's.

Calatin 10-05-2016 03:12 PM

Ethical dilemma: Co-worker is out today, but he'd ordered food. My restaurant screwed up my order, so I didn't eat much of it and am kinda hungry.

On one hand, I just e-mailed co-worker to let him know I put his food in the fridge.

On the other, he's not here, so I could just say that someone either took it or threw it away.

Thudlow Boink 10-05-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calatin (Post 19678141)
Ethical dilemma: Co-worker is out today, but he'd ordered food. My restaurant screwed up my order, so I didn't eat much of it and am kinda hungry.

On one hand, I just e-mailed co-worker to let him know I put his food in the fridge.

On the other, he's not here, so I could just say that someone either took it or threw it away.

If he's out today, why the heck did he order food?

And, couldn't you just email him and say, "Hey, the restaurant screwed up my order and I'm starving. Do you mind if I go ahead and eat your food? I'll get you some more next time."

And in the future, a couple things you could try, depending on how confrontational you want to be:

1. Only order things that don't normally come with lettuce. By ordering lettuceful dishes and asking them to hold the lettuce, you're just setting yourself up for failure.

or

2. When you place your order, don't just say, "No lettuce." Say "No fucking lettuce. Seriously. If I get my food and it has lettuce on it, I'll come down there and shred your fucking face."

mischievous 10-05-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calatin (Post 19678141)

Email him that because you were starving and your order was messed up, you took the liberty of taking his order. If my workplace was providing me with lunch, I'd be entirely content that it went to a different worker (as long as I didn't go hungry).

Calatin 10-05-2016 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink (Post 19678214)

And, couldn't you just email him and say, "Hey, the restaurant screwed up my order and I'm starving. Do you mind if I go ahead and eat your food? I'll get you some more next time."

And in the future, a couple things you could try, depending on how confrontational you want to be:

1. Only order things that don't normally come with lettuce. By ordering lettuceful dishes and asking them to hold the lettuce, you're just setting yourself up for failure.

or

2. When you place your order, don't just say, "No lettuce." Say "No fucking lettuce. Seriously. If I get my food and it has lettuce on it, I'll come down there and shred your fucking face."

We can order up to a week in advance. When you log in to the website, it shows you the options for the next 6 days. I'll often order as early as possible, just to be surprised when that day's food comes.

Re: #2 - You made me think of Ross's note on his Thanksgiving leftover sandwich, from Friends.

kaylasdad99 10-05-2016 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink (Post 19678214)

or

"And I'll do it on my day off, which I'm not telling you when it is. Just to be on the safe side you might want to consider not giving lettuce to ANYBODY for the rest of the week."

Jeep's Phoenix 10-06-2016 06:04 PM

Dear fellow ladies: I don't know who has been responsible for this in the past week, but please stop leaving shit smears in the toilet bowl. >.< That particular toilet has a very powerful flush...if the first flush doesn't get it, flushing again with a few clumps of toilet paper will solve the problem.

Dear new inspector: stop 'man-splaining' the inspection procedure to me. I wrote the damn thing.

Dear well-established inspector: way to go on making yourself look like a jackass by repeatedly (and loudly) insisting that the two parts in the box were exactly the same. I went and checked for myself before talking to you...they were completely different parts.

cwthree 10-11-2016 10:18 AM

Dear integration engineer: Yes, you will need a user name and password for your script that needs to connect to the password-protected application you want to automate. I'm not sure why you are surprised by this.

Hey Hey Paula 10-14-2016 09:51 PM

Not a workplace rant, but a job listings rant:

Since rage-quitting my job in January (still the best split-second decision I ever made) I've been half-assedly looking at job listings on Craigslist. I'm looking for a local, part-time job within my skill set (legal secretary/office worker) with a reasonable rate of pay.

Rant 1 - I see lots of full time job listings that require a ridiculous amount of of experience and qualifications, only to pay 10 bucks an hour. Which is minimum wage in my area.

Rant 2 - I see part time job listings that sound interesting, that I might be a perfect fit for, only to see that they declare "you will receive a 1099 at the end of the year." In other words, illegally classifying an employee as an independent contractor. No thanks, I'm not working your crappy job with no work comp insurance and no withholding!

Rant 3 - saw a job listing today, asked for resume, cover letter and answers to a few questions, the last of which was "What is your favorite movie?" Seriously, you want to know what a potential data entry person's favorite movie is? I know you don't really want to know, it's a bullshit question, but all it does is let me know you're a bullshit employer.

TLDR I'm so glad we can afford for me to not work, because the job market is bullshit, at least on Craigslist.

kiz 10-15-2016 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula (Post 19702469)
TLDR I'm so glad we can afford for me to not work, because the job market is bullshit, at least on Craigslist.

Have you looked on Indeed? Monster? CareerBuilder?

kiz 10-15-2016 04:42 PM

Not really a rant but perhaps a clue as to what's to come:

So we're maybe a month or so into New To Us Employer and people are starting to drop like proverbial flies as in either stepping down from management positions or quitting outright.

I'm not sure what to think.

Hey Hey Paula 10-16-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiz (Post 19703839)
Have you looked on Indeed? Monster? CareerBuilder?

Yes, but I haven't seen much in the way of part-time jobs on those sites. I have no intention of going back to work full time, partly because I don't need to and partly because of my husbands health issues - he has another surgery pending soon, among other things.

Most of what those sites offer seems to be through agencies anyway. If I decided to go from half-assed job search to full-assed job search, I'll get in touch with some agencies and see what they have to offer. :cool:

Typo Knig 10-16-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiz (Post 19703851)
Not really a rant but perhaps a clue as to what's to come:

So we're maybe a month or so into New To Us Employer and people are starting to drop like proverbial flies as in either stepping down from management positions or quitting outright.

I'm not sure what to think.

I think it's time to update your resume and start another job hunt. Stinks, but you can legitimately say what you just posted as a reason for getting off the ship before it takes you down.

kiz 10-17-2016 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typo Knig (Post 19705338)
I think it's time to update your resume and start another job hunt. Stinks, but you can legitimately say what you just posted as a reason for getting off the ship before it takes you down.

I've been poking around different job sites for awhile now. It's interesting that the same companies advertise the same job again and again and again...

What's been saving my arse thus far is being the only person who can do what I do. If something happens to me, everything's up the fecal-stained creek.

sandra_nz 10-18-2016 08:12 AM

Dear colleague who set up a meeting with me two months ago:
Don't email me 10 minutes before the meeting asking where I want to meet. You booked the meeting, you book the room. All the rooms on my floor are booked out days in advance.
Now it's 12 minutes past and you said 8 minutes ago that you'd call me via Skype.
Grrr.

Knowed Out 10-18-2016 09:39 AM

Poop. Workplace had a logo design contest for a new learning outreach called MLC GO! The director printed out all the submissions and pinned them on the wall, leaving instructions to put your initials by your favorite.

I thought, what's synonymous with "GO!"? Bird flying perhaps? Tried fitting a bird's silhouette into the title, and didn't work so good. Then I thought Jungle Cats! Cheetahs go. They're the fastest land mammal on earth! So I made 4 versions with jungle cats chasing each other inside the title with different color schemes.

None of them got any votes.

Were they too scary? Too subtle? It's not like I made the cats maul prey or anything.

digs 10-18-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowed Out (Post 19709815)
...So I made 4 versions with jungle cats chasing each other inside the title with different color schemes.

None of them got any votes.

Were they too scary? Too subtle? It's not like I made the cats maul prey or anything.

Maybe they thought the jungle images were plagiarized, because they heard the cat was a cheetah...

Knowed Out 10-19-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digs (Post 19711789)
Maybe they thought the jungle images were plagiarized, because they heard the cat was a cheetah...

Admittedly, the cheetahs were clip art, so they wouldn't be lion...

Lightray 10-19-2016 12:41 PM

I wouldn't have voted for logos that had cheetahs as jungle cats, either. Since I know they're savannah cats.

(Of course, I probably would've also put a snarky post-it on the logo saying so, too. 'Cause I'm pretty much that guy.)

tenacious j 10-19-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowed Out (Post 19712577)
Admittedly, the cheetahs were clip art, so they wouldn't be lion...

Aaaaah, the often rumored, rarely seen out-of-office triangle.
George is out, please email Shirley.
Shirley is sick, please email Loretta.
Loretta is traveling, please email George.
Either all three will ignore me upon returning or I'll get three totally different answers. Yippee.

Knowed Out 10-19-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightray (Post 19712913)
I wouldn't have voted for logos that had cheetahs as jungle cats, either. Since I know they're savannah cats.

(Of course, I probably would've also put a snarky post-it on the logo saying so, too. 'Cause I'm pretty much that guy.)

Wow, you really invented a scenario that didn't actually exist to nitpick. I didn't identify them as jungle cats on the logo. I just submitted images with no accompanying text.

Lightray 10-19-2016 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowed Out (Post 19713341)
Wow, you really invented a scenario that didn't actually exist to nitpick. I didn't identify them as jungle cats on the logo. I just submitted images with no accompanying text.

I maybe should've added a ;)

Anyway, for jungle cats you should always go with the Jaguar. Everyone likes fast cars.

Calatin 10-20-2016 04:47 PM

I know my boss is a busy man and doesn't have time for everything, but he has a tendency to appoint someone in another department as his "representative" for various projects.

This person, while pretty high on the food chain, doesn't have the legal training or experience to act as his surrogate. He'll loop her in immediately on projects, and she will start nit-picking or just get involved to the point that the project has become over-complicated and delayed, and all other parties are frustrated, if not angry.

I had a ten-minute back and forth with her about a one-page addendum that alters 2 provisions in a 30+ page agreement, where I had to convince her that the language in the addendum did not nullify the entirety of the original agreement. All I could do was repeat the basic concept over and over. It was like trying to explain that water is wet. It just is. Finally, I think I wore her down (don't feel like I actually convinced her) and we ended the conversation. Keep in mind, this was something that had already been sent out to 100+ parties for execution.

I like her as a person, but working with her can be difficult.

Kimballkid 10-21-2016 02:05 PM

Maybe she should be sent out for execution.

:D

Calatin 10-21-2016 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimballkid (Post 19718873)
Maybe she should be sent out for execution.

:D

I can think of more than a few co-workers who would volunteer to be a part of the firing squad. :p

kiz 10-22-2016 02:26 AM

Well, my manager was moved. She didn't want to go but there's presumably chaos at another location because both manager and assistant stepped down and nobody wanted their positions. She's presumably there "until Thanksgiving" but we all know how that goes.

I was told I'll be working 6 days from now until doomsday.

TPTB came down with a "nobody takes a weekend day off" and "everyone MUST have open availability." They've already let go of a few people who have second jobs.

My husband recently got a job in a neighboring state. He'll be staying there during the week and coming home on the weekends. I told my manager I'm going to have to have Saturdays off because it'll be the only day we'll see each other. Her face went white.

*wonders if this is how she ends her 25+ year career in this industry even though she doesn't necessarily want it to end*

eulalia 10-22-2016 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiz (Post 19720079)
Well, my manager was moved. She didn't want to go but there's presumably chaos at another location because both manager and assistant stepped down and nobody wanted their positions. She's presumably there "until Thanksgiving" but we all know how that goes.

I was told I'll be working 6 days from now until doomsday.

TPTB came down with a "nobody takes a weekend day off" and "everyone MUST have open availability." They've already let go of a few people who have second jobs.

My husband recently got a job in a neighboring state. He'll be staying there during the week and coming home on the weekends. I told my manager I'm going to have to have Saturdays off because it'll be the only day we'll see each other. Her face went white.

*wonders if this is how she ends her 25+ year career in this industry even though she doesn't necessarily want it to end*

Are you looking for a job near where he is working? Maybe you could move there. What do you like about your job that you might be able to find somewhere else?

kiz 10-22-2016 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eulalia (Post 19720095)
Are you looking for a job near where he is working? Maybe you could move there. What do you like about your job that you might be able to find somewhere else?

Haven't started looking yet but I am open to the idea.

kiz 10-24-2016 02:13 AM

And, oh, to add to my ranting of late:

We're not allowed out of the building except for our 30-minute lunch period. not even on our 15-minute breaks.

As a smoker (and STFU if you're going to lecture me), I am most upset by this. I'd rather kill myself slowly than stuff my face in a cramped, claustrophobic break room. Yes, madly chewing on peppermint gum helps as well as *being* so busy that there's no time for a break (which is what I think is the whole point since they're unpaid) helps, but not much. Besides, it's against rules to chew gum, so I have to tuck it between jaw and cheek like chewing tobacco.

MissTake 10-24-2016 04:30 PM

Hey, client. It was bad enough when you'd leave me a voicemail, then immediately call my supervisor. Today, you left me a voicemail, then left a voicemail for my supe, AND then one for HER supe.
Grandboss is an idiot, has no idea what line staff does. You talk to him, he promises things we cannot do, and I have to clean up the mess. It doesn't help that client has issues that prevent her from understanding the most basic of aspects of life.
I have spent the last two hours attempting to un-do what grandboss told her. I'm sure I will receive another call tomorrow (along with my supe and grandboss again) asking the same original question she started off with today.

This one case has been taking up 1/4 of my day every day the past few weeks. It's ridiculous.