Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New and Unimproved Workplace Rants (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=772132)

JcWoman 02-19-2016 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athena (Post 19083207)
If stuff isn't even done at the epic level before they want to start coding and I was the BA, I'd tell them "go fix bugs, work on technical debt, or learn some new technology. We'll be ready to plan the sprint in <x> days" then go work my ass off to get the epic together.

I wish we could do that but apparently, because of our organizational layout, we can't. At this place, the BA's are in a separate division from the developers. I find it fascinating to see the impact that organizational arrangements have on workflow, due to politics that people probably should have foreseen, but didn't.

Anyway, what we have is that the devs will finish the sprint and keep moving forward to the next one, coding to whatever they think the requirements might be, and when the BA's finish requirements then we have to submit a change order. That's the sound of my teeth grinding that you hear. I suspect they are being this aggressive in controlling the project schedules as a pendulum swing/knee jerk response to changing from waterfall, where WE drove the pace of things, to agile. And of course, we have no official project management; only one of the dev leads is assigned "project manager".

But I actually have another peeve that brought me here to post:

Corporate America loves to talk about how efficient they've become over the last couple decades, and we all know of the love affair they have with open offices because it "promotes collaboration". Well, another one of my big tasks is to work on a VERY collaborative documentation revision and review team. It's hard for us to actually collaborate, though. Not because of our workspace arrangements. It's because we are all working on 5 - 8 different projects simultaneously and can barely give each other the time of day. :mad:

Calatin 02-19-2016 12:38 PM

Ok, you've caught me.

Despite the fact that I always notify you immediately whenever there's any developments on projects (to the point where you've actually said you don't need the constant stream of information), this is the one time that I'm holding out on you.

I know that you've made it very clear that we are trying to make a fairly unreasonable deadline, and I know that I've told you that the third-party vendor we use moves at their own pace, but in reality, I've had the information you need to move forward for days now. I'm really just waiting for you to wear me down so I finally relinquish it to you.

You must know this, and that must be why you continually ask me if I've heard from them, if I have the information, etc., and I continually reply with the above-mentioned alibi / reason. So, while the first 50 times you've asked, I've responded in the negative, go ahead and try again.

I've got a good feeling about #51.

Chimera 02-19-2016 02:56 PM

You know, if I send you an update on something right before I go home, it's a pretty safe bet that nothing will have changed before 6am the next day when you sent me that email asking for another update.

teela brown 02-19-2016 06:29 PM

A good way to get me to ignore your email is to end sentences with multiple exclamation points!!!!!

Or question marks. How could you possibly think that looks professional?????

Jeep's Phoenix 02-19-2016 06:58 PM

Dear Mr. Engineer Wannabe: When you're talking about reducing the amplitude of a wave (sound waves, for example), the correct term is "damping," not "dampening." In effect, you just spent a conference call telling the vendor that we want to slightly moisten the waves represented on the customer's chart.

adhemar 02-20-2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teela brown (Post 19116021)
A good way to get me to ignore your email is to end sentences with multiple exclamation points!!!!!

Or question marks. How could you possibly think that looks professional?????

the customer service reps at work are bad about this. one recently scolded me for answering her emails in a like manner. I told her in response to her previous email full of !!!???. she said she only did it because I had on the preceding one which was because her first email was like that. I gave up at that point.

I try to understand that they have to ask me the same stupid question over and over again as a part of due diligence, but damn I get tired of answering the same question over and over again.

CSR:"FedEx doesn't show they have this box from 3 weeks ago, you must not have shipped it!!!!Can you go find it on the dock and ship it out asap????

Me: " FedEx website is showing they have not scanned the box in question not that they don't have it, our system show the box has been shipped. Once the shipment has been given to the carrier we have no further visibility until the carrier that has the shipment scans it or returns it."

CSR:" well cant you go out and search the dock just in case it might be out there!!!???"

Me: "Sorry, at any given time we have hundreds of boxes moving through the system and then stacked on trailers. We do not have the manpower to shut the system down and search for one box that is not likely to be out there since we clear the docks every night."

kaylasdad99 02-20-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calatin (Post 19115061)
Ok, you've caught me.

Despite the fact that I always notify you immediately whenever there's any developments on projects (to the point where you've actually said you don't need the constant stream of information), this is the one time that I'm holding out on you.

I know that you've made it very clear that we are trying to make a fairly unreasonable deadline, and I know that I've told you that the third-party vendor we use moves at their own pace, but in reality, I've had the information you need to move forward for days now. I'm really just waiting for you to wear me down so I finally relinquish it to you.

You must know this, and that must be why you continually ask me if I've heard from them, if I have the information, etc., and I continually reply with the above-mentioned alibi / reason. So, while the first 50 times you've asked, I've responded in the negative, go ahead and try again.

I've got a good feeling about #51.

Does the third-party vendor move at "their own pace" as an absolute condition, or have they ever demonstrated an ability to respond (favorably) when someone lights a fire under them?

Assuming the latter is the case, who has the authority to light a fire under them?

kaylasdad99 02-20-2016 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 19115462)
You know, if I send you an update on something right before I go home, it's a pretty safe bet that nothing will have changed before 6am the next day when you sent me that email asking for another update.

Hold back one or two bullet points from your end-of-the-day updates, and shoot them off upon request the following morning.

j666 02-21-2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 (Post 19117520)
Hold back one or two bullet points from your end-of-the-day updates, and shoot them off upon request the following morning.

Postive reinforcement of undesirable behavior.

Forward the same email from the evening before in a Reply to the morning update.

kaylasdad99 02-21-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 (Post 19117520)

Quote:

Originally Posted by j666 (Post 19118909)
Postive reinforcement of undesirable behavior.

Thatís fair, I guess.

Quote:

Forward the same email from the evening before in a Reply to the morning update.
And the text of the response should be: I don't know what it is you think I do every night when I get home, but see attachment.

digs 02-21-2016 03:59 PM

Might be someone trying to appear "on top of things" to their boss(es).

I worked with a guy that'd always think up something to email me about late at night... and sure nuff, he always cc'ed the Big Boss. I remember the first time he did that at midnight, and I thought "If he's trying to look 'like Junior Executive Material' he'll email another cc'ed question at 6 am."

5:55 am :: ping ::

I wonder if anyone thinks they're getting away with a fast one. If I were his boss, my first thought would be "How naÔve does Brownie McNose think I am?"

My second thought would be "Put a note in Brownie McNose's file: 'Douchebag'."

Athena 02-21-2016 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JcWoman (Post 19114972)
I wish we could do that but apparently, because of our organizational layout, we can't. At this place, the BA's are in a separate division from the developers. I find it fascinating to see the impact that organizational arrangements have on workflow, due to politics that people probably should have foreseen, but didn't.

Anyway, what we have is that the devs will finish the sprint and keep moving forward to the next one, coding to whatever they think the requirements might be, and when the BA's finish requirements then we have to submit a change order. That's the sound of my teeth grinding that you hear. I suspect they are being this aggressive in controlling the project schedules as a pendulum swing/knee jerk response to changing from waterfall, where WE drove the pace of things, to agile. And of course, we have no official project management; only one of the dev leads is assigned "project manager".

Ouch. Sounds like you're in one of those workplaces that "agile" is on paper only.

For us, an agile team consists of the BA/Product owner, devs, qa folks and a team lead that does whatever project management work nobody else is doing as well as scrum master and all-around boss type. The team as a whole decides what to do each sprint, depending on what the BA has prepped, what tech stuff needs to happen, the overall state of things (do we need to deploy this week? did some other team change something we need to react to? did we get a new test server? etc).

I'm not sure how you'd do agile if the BAs aren't even on the team. That just seems unworkable.

SeaDragonTattoo 02-25-2016 01:08 AM

I just pulled eleven sheets out of the attendance book. And cried. Another gave notice this week and there are two others I know are interviewing. Such a fucking mess. So many good people gone.

Typo Knig 02-25-2016 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typo Knig (Post 19048139)
My contribution: the tsunami of overwork begins! Much anticipated, but unaddressed. We have people to do 6-9 thingies next month. We're scheduled for 20 thingies. Or maybe more, because we're a "dynamic" environment. :rolleyes:

After all the panic and fuss, after bringing more people on the team so we could handle the yuuuge work load, the tsunami of overwork was downsized to a trickle. I'm glad to not have to be at the office 36x8, but now I do not have enough to do. Another wave of overwork is two months out. Maybe. Again. Until the next schedule shift du jour. I'm tired of this crap, and am actively looking for other projects. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 400 times ...

black rabbit 02-25-2016 01:43 PM

The next time somebody schedules a meeting with me and five other people to go over the awesome new spreadsheet dashboard thing they just put together that's going to solve all of our organizational problems, I'm... going... to... fucking... send a sarcastic IM to one of my coworkers or something.

Chimera 02-25-2016 01:52 PM

Well apparently the "grieving" period over my asshole micromanager's departure has passed, because the trickle of criticism has begun to flow.

Apparently he was infamous for trying to take personal credit for our work. Had not heard that one before, but it fits the narcissism quite well.

And apparently he was openly lectured in management meetings about his "lack of trust" in his own people. When that sort of thing goes from backdoor discussions to open topic, you done fucked up. Of course, he was too into himself to listen...

Nava 02-27-2016 03:11 PM

One of the new subjects (I'm doing some graduate coursework on project management, because nobody gives a shit if you've got a ton of on-the-work experience unless you have a paper) is on MSProject.

Apparently the gist of the course is "MSProject is the best program ever and anybody who disagrees is talking out of his ass, never mind that one quarter of the students can't even install it". Even if it was the best thing since peanut butter, the teacher sounds waaaaay too much like he's wanking to his Gantt charts...

black rabbit 02-29-2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nava (Post 19136267)
One of the new subjects (I'm doing some graduate coursework on project management, because nobody gives a shit if you've got a ton of on-the-work experience unless you have a paper) is on MSProject.

Apparently the gist of the course is "MSProject is the best program ever and anybody who disagrees is talking out of his ass, never mind that one quarter of the students can't even install it". Even if it was the best thing since peanut butter, the teacher sounds waaaaay too much like he's wanking to his Gantt charts...

My graduate PM class was kinda like that, except the instructor was an adjunct whose day job was the CIO of a major financial services firm. He obviously hadn't touched MS Project in at least 15 years. It was pretty hilarious.

Still a pretty valuable class, since it was a chance to hang with a real live CIO for four hours a week.

Chimera 03-02-2016 08:47 AM

User: "Hi, I need access to MostcommonDBA1 and MostcommonDBA2"

Co-worker: "Those don't exist"

Me: :smack: "Of course they exist, that's just a typo. 80% of our request are for MostCommonDB1 and 2. How can you not know this after a year on the job?"

Co-worker: "But MostcommonDBA1 doesn't exist!"

Me: "Seriously?"

User: "I meant MostcommonDB1, that was a typo"

Co-worker: "I just wanted to verify what he wanted!"

Me: :smack: "You didn't attempt to verify anything, you brushed him off."

Hey Hey Paula 03-02-2016 04:37 PM

Since I walked off my job in January, I've been checking online job sites to see if my former employers were posting a job announcement. I finally found it last night, and had to laugh. It was written in ALL CAPS with BOLDING AND UNDERLINING generously applied. How professional.

kiz 03-02-2016 04:42 PM

Thank you, Coworker, for outing our employer on Facebook. I know you don't care, but I do, which is why I deleted your post.

How much do you want to bet that our coworkers will ask me why I did that? Kids :grumble:

kaylasdad99 03-02-2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiz (Post 19148253)
Thank you, Coworker, for outing our employer on Facebook. I know you don't care, but I do, which is why I deleted your post.

How much do you want to bet that our coworkers will ask me why I did that? Kids :grumble:

:confused:

Clarify, please. Your co-worker made a FB post in which (s)he revealed that the individual who employs you is gay? Or one in which it is revealed that the organization you work for engages in practices which, while not in any way unsavory, could be spun to look unsavory to onlookers who do not understand the details of how your industry operates?

Miller 03-02-2016 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong (Post 19015944)
Huh. Very interesting! I hadn't though of the possibility of a multiword name .... I don't think I've ever heard of that happening in English.

Poor Joe Bob. Forgotten again.

kiz 03-03-2016 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 (Post 19148827)
:confused:

Clarify, please. Your co-worker made a FB post in which (s)he revealed that the individual who employs you is gay? Or one in which it is revealed that the organization you work for engages in practices which, while not in any way unsavory, could be spun to look unsavory to onlookers who do not understand the details of how your industry operates?

Neither.

I don't discuss work on Facebook. Ever. I have more online friends on my FB feed than RL friends. They don't need to know who exactly I work for.

Evidently I'm in the minority. Whenever I've mentioned this, I get the "Huh?!?" look. I have to remind them even though they see Current Employer as a purveyor of dead-end jobs they don't need to take seriously, I don't. This includes my current manager, btw. It seriously rankles me.

sandra_nz 03-03-2016 06:59 AM

This happens to me several times a week.

User: I can't sign into the site. <screenshot of error message>

Me: Please click this link and send me a screenshot of the resulting page. <link> Please don't enter your email or password, I only need to see the page you land on.

User: The attachment is the copy of the screen shot after I input my e-mail address and password.

Me: *silent tears*

Nava 03-03-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller (Post 19149020)

Not forgotten, but filed as "firstname Joe, middlename Bob", no matter how much he insists that no damnit, his name is Joe Bob.

Thudlow Boink 03-03-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiz (Post 19149211)
Neither.

I don't discuss work on Facebook. Ever. I have more online friends on my FB feed than RL friends. They don't need to know who exactly I work for.

So by "outing our employer on FB" you mean that this person made a post on Facebook revealing who you work for? :confused: And you deleted it? How can you delete something someone else posted to Facebook? I'm still confused.

kiz 03-03-2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink (Post 19149903)
So by "outing our employer on FB" you mean that this person made a post on Facebook revealing who you work for? :confused: And you deleted it? How can you delete something someone else posted to Facebook? I'm still confused.

Yes, just by virtue of the logo on the apron.

They posted the photo to my wall.

I can delete anything from my wall.

I don't like being tagged on Facebook posts, especially with photos. Thankfully most of my FB friends know this. So do the coworkers, which is why I didn't appear in any of their photos taken at a work-related event a few weeks ago.

As one of my dearest friends says, "I don't mind sharing my crazy with a few selected coworkers, but if they post ANYTHING about work on my wall I'll automatically delete it."

dropzone 03-03-2016 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller (Post 19149020)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nava (Post 19149857)
Not forgotten, but filed as "firstname Joe, middlename Bob", no matter how much he insists that no damnit, his name is Joe Bob.

Not for me! He has to be JOEBOB BRIGGS because the field needs two names and two names only. Not one name, either, so if Cindy the Office Manager won't give me her last name because she's operating under the illusion that anybody has privacy anymore she becomes CINDY OM. And Coworker, it woulda been nice if you had told me you were doing that before I asked for Cindy Om when I called her back.

Speaking of Coworker, here's a recap: We work for Company A. Company B provides Service B for the customers of Company C. Company B has contracted with us to call Company C's customers to promote Service B. As has been true since the Serpent supplied Eve with God's apple, it's subcontractors and middlemen all the way down. Company C has a homespun Midwestern corporate image it wants to maintain and it doesn't want to seem New York pushy to its customers, so the rule is "one no and a go." No second effort is to be made. The service sells itself, and if the customers don't want it they have their reasons. It is also important to note that we are not judged by our refusals, and they are relatively few.

Under those circumstances, let's say the person who picks up the phone, without giving you a chance to explain why you are calling, says, "Not interested." You do not know if this person is the practice owner, the office manager, or the owner's daughter filling in over spring break. Do you:

1. Thank her for her time, hang up, and move on with your life.
2. Say, "How do you know you're not interested? You don't know why I called," get into an argument with her, then complain about her to her boss.

"So what if the client listens to the call? They'll hear that she is clearly an idiot." :smack: No, Coworker, that's how you endanger the program, and if I were your boss you would get a severe talking-to. The boiler room is downstairs, if that's the tack you're going to take.

Dunkelheit 03-04-2016 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiz (Post 19151145)
As one of my dearest friends says, "I don't mind sharing my crazy with a few selected coworkers, but if they post ANYTHING about work on my wall I'll automatically delete it."

I don't mind sharing my crazy at work, but I've blocked all my coworkers from my personal FB.

kaylasdad99 03-04-2016 07:26 AM

Hey, plant manager and maintenance manager, how ya doin'? I wasn't given vote on the question of whether my shift would assume maintenance responsibility for five of our fifteen sorting machines. But I can (have to) accept that we were. But FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, why did you decide to give us the five that are most likely to need to be still operating toward the end of the shift?

I feel bad for you, shift supervisor. But I'm not in a position to stay overtime today to complete the maintenance on the two machines you assigned to me.

Chimera 03-04-2016 01:08 PM

Annoying Person: Hey, is this thing from last June still open?
Me: No, we don't keep those things open more than 90 days, so it has either been cancelled or completed.

Repeat about 12 times in the last two weeks.

Today: Hey, is this thing from last July still open?
Me: No, it was completed that month. (and therefore, why do YOU still have it marked as open? That's on YOU, not us)
AP: Can you let us know when things are cancelled or closed?
Me: Sure, as long as you STOP asking me about things that are 8-9 months old. I keep telling you nothing older than 90 days will still be open, so please stop now.

She asks again and it will become a management issue. :mad:

Jeep's Phoenix 03-04-2016 06:14 PM

Had an unexpected surprise today: Firefox is no longer blocked! :O Yay, I get to use a real browser at work now!!!

Scribble 03-05-2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandra_nz (Post 19149360)
This happens to me several times a week.

Me: Please click this link and send me a screenshot of the resulting page. <link> Please don't enter your email or password, I only need to see the page you land on.

User: The attachment is the copy of the screen shot after I input my e-mail address and password.

Me: *silent tears*

My guess is that the users don't understand that: 1) You've already looked at the screenshot they sent, and 2) you need to see something other than that in order to fix the problem.

To a user, it might seem that they've already sent you the relevant error message (after all, it was the one that popped up when they tried to log in), and you haven't looked at it.

Maybe something like this would go better:

You: Thanks for sending me the error message. There's one more thing I need to see before I can figure out what's wrong. Please click this link and then send me a screenshot of the page you land on. <link>

j666 03-08-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 19153385)
Annoying Person: Hey, is this thing from last June still open?
Me: No, we don't keep those things open more than 90 days, so it has either been cancelled or completed.

She asks again and it will become a management issue. :mad:

That might be the point; her manager might be insisting she followup on every ticket that hasn't been resolved, only canceled.

Nava 03-09-2016 12:06 AM

Reminds me (or maybe gives me flashbacks) of that time some genius at Treasury sent for "urgent recovery" (read: forced collection with fines) any payment which wasn't "paid".

Including every single one which was "cancelled". Those of us who are stubborn enough to get through the paperwork were able to avoid the main payment but still had to pay the completely inappropriate fine. Guess it's a way to balance the budget...

My rant: today's "let's talk" question from the teacher "why do you believe Project is a better project management tool than Excel?"
Answer from a student who frankly don't give as much of a shit as she should: "why do you believe I believe that? You still haven't convinced me."

The exercise OTOH was nice. 20 steps, step n to be compared with sample file n, file obtained after final step only to be uploaded to forums. Step 20 given as "open sample file 19, do blahblah".
Me only do step 20.

Kelevra 03-10-2016 10:52 AM

My boss is giving a presentation on my subject matter using a slide deck that I prepared. The good news is that he is going through the slides a week in advance. The bad news is that the process works like this:

1. Boss sits in his office and reads first slide.
2. Boss comes to my office to ask a question about first slide.
3. Boss sits in his office and reads second slide.
4. Boss comes to my office to ask a question about second slide.
5. ...

We are up to slide 25 of 32!

StarvingButStrong 03-10-2016 11:29 AM

Hey, at least *he* comes to *your* office.

Calatin 03-10-2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong (Post 19168431)
Hey, at least *he* comes to *your* office.

Seconded. I swear, there are some days I put an extra mile's worth of walking because I've e-mailed a document to my boss, and as he reads it, he'll stop and call me to come to his office so he can ask me a question. By the time I've walked back to my office, I'll have a voicemail, asking if I can come back to clarify something in the second-to-next sentence.

If I offer to stay there while he reads the whole thing, he tells me not to bother, because he'll just call me if he has any questions.

On the plus side, it's decent exercise.

Dung Beetle 03-10-2016 02:27 PM

I am so stupid. Every time someone asks me to do something, I do it right away. At some point after that, they change their minds. I then have to un-do, and re-do. I make this mistake daily.

Yet I am a genius compared to some. There is a plan afoot to put some heavy shelving units in a certain tiny room. You would not believe how many people have discussed this and for how long. One person even created a pretty diagram and printed it in color. Then I ruined everything.

I brought out a measuring tape. :smack:

Macca26 03-14-2016 09:34 AM

I had a job interview. I aced the job interview! They liked me best, I had the best presentation, I had the best personality, I had the best fit, and they were sure I was capable. But they picked the other candidate because that candidate's last job was almost an exact match to the job we were both interviewing for.

This happens...all the time. Well, the other thing that happens is I'm "overqualified".

I just remember the day I took my current job and I had a severe bout of anxiety. "Is this really what I want to do? I want to be in print or publishing. Will this job hold me back? It's not in line with that career path. It's large format....but I need the money"

Well, lo and behold it turns out, yes, my current job IS the thing that is holding me back. I HAVE fucked my career up by taking this job, because it's literally the only thing anybody points to when someone else gets picked. But I'm still pissed that these companies act like design is split up into all these little boxes and that large format people have no idea how to design for anything else, or vice versa. Bullshit. BULLSHIT. Especially when I have examples of postcards, mailers, brochures, etc right here showing that I can do it. A margin is a margin and white space is white space.

I'm just mad because I'm back at my shitty job fielding client calls from chucklefucks who think it's super difficult to understand or explain "Let's use grey instead of white" when the place I interviewed at had actual structure where salespeople talked to the clients and the designers were left to design.

Nava 03-15-2016 09:03 AM

Order laptop through one tool.

Once laptop has arrived but not before (apparently, before we don't know the ergonomics of the situation or something), order screen through another tool.

Laptop has only an HDMI.

Screen has VGA and two other things that nobody here recognized. According to Uncle Google, one is older than VGA and the other one is newer. It also has an USB but it can't use it to connect to the laptop.

HDMI-to-VGA adapters for my team have been purchased and the invoice will be expensed. The other team in the same room had to do the same. Ordering the adapters would have meant another month of waiting for them.

We're an IT company. Can we get purchasers who, dunnow, know anything about computer specs? Or, even better, who talk to each other? Or email each other, if they hate talking...

Shoeless 03-15-2016 10:41 AM

Today is the day our corporate IT group pushes updates to everyone's computers.

Rant #1: the download and update process seems to have top priority, reducing everything to a crawl. Is it really that important that it can't run as a background process?

Rant #2: once the updates have been installed and the computer needs to be restarted, a message pops up telling you that it will restart automatically or you can restart now. No way to cancel or postpone the restart. Doesn't matter if you are in the middle of something, shutting down now! And then it takes 15-20 minutes for all the updates to complete and you can get back to work.

Shoeless 03-15-2016 10:43 AM

Ugh, can't seem to edit my post in Tapatalk. I meant to say "restart automatically in five minutes".

Jeep's Phoenix 03-15-2016 07:05 PM

After the last major computer upgrade at work, it took corporate IT a month to get the AutoCAD license on my computer sorted out. >.< I use that program so often that I've fully customized the interface...and I was stuck using the trial version while IT "took care of things". Now the little fan on my graphics card is practically worn out, and I'm sure the hard drive isn't appreciating the frequent power outages we've been experiencing over the last week...I'm dreading the next round of hardware upgrades. :(

j666 03-15-2016 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless (Post 19181731)
Today is the day our corporate IT group pushes updates to everyone's computers.

Rant #1: the download and update process seems to have top priority, reducing everything to a crawl. Is it really that important that it can't run as a background process?

This doesn't happen most days?

Are you accepting resumes?

SeaDragonTattoo 03-15-2016 09:43 PM

Anti-rant!

The builder and my boss and my territory manager from the casework company I want to use (Midmark - this stuff) finally had a conference call so my TM could explain - in small words - to the builder why his medical grade steel casework is better than the builder's laminate. And everyone finally understands!! And they're going ahead with the casework I want!! WHOOOHOOOOO!!!!

Nava 03-16-2016 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix (Post 19183373)
it took corporate IT a month to get the AutoCAD license on my computer sorted out.

5 weeks for MS Office. At least the results only took the form of a banner calling me a pirate, it didn't refuse to work...

JcWoman 03-17-2016 01:49 PM

I'm on a small team responsible for the maintenance and publication of data processing documentation for an entire global industry. It was first written over a decade ago so no changes to format or approach are now allowed. For example, a coworker commented once that it's not symbolic logic, it's English and full of connotations and assumptions so it's very difficult to work on. I slept on it and then replied back to him: "We're describing data processing. It SHOULD be symbolic logic, not prose!" "Ohh, they'll never let us do that!" says he.

And he's right, sadly.

It's also written by committee. I was recently asked to add some examples to one of the sections. I did (spending two weeks writing them) and the reviewers shuddered and moaned and called a halt to the review meeting, telling me to just make a list of all possible permutations of the data elements in question. Send the list around to see if anyone has any to add and after that, then take another crack at writing them. So I drafted a list of all permutations I could think of and sent it around. And waited. And waited. (And reminded them a few times between waits.) Finally I asked point blank, "Um, WTH?" and was told to just go ahead and write all the examples in the list I made.

So I did (a few more weeks) and sent it out for review. No responses. We had a formal meeting yesterday to review it and it was immediately obvious that nobody had read my work. Even worse, we only got to example 2 before the debate started. I had written it completely wrong and clearly had no understanding of the processing. "Just use the existing examples as a model (implication: it's not that hard, dummy)".

I told them that I had started that way, weeks ago before the FIRST effing review meeting where they told me I'd done it all wrong. But I struggle because the wording of the existing examples make no sense to me. The person who originally wrote it made all kinds of leaps of logic and hidden assumptions that I as a new person just don't pick up on. There was a comment to start very simple and just copy an old example and modify it, then I reminded them that I HAD done that the first review-go-round. There was a moment of silence and then shrugs. Then they got into debate again about the simplest way to describe the example scenarios. They can't even agree amongst themselves. Finally, we agreed to have two of the experienced guys work with me on writing the examples and then re-submit it for yet a third review.

It was a horrible, brutal meeting that accomplished nothing. Today, two of the people who were participating in that meeting apologized to me. One said they sometimes behave badly. The other one said I was doing a good job, shouldn't take it personally and that they get carried away. I appreciate that they didn't have malicious intent, but I still think it's intensely frustrating that they wasted so much of my time and effort because they got "carried away".

Jeep's Phoenix 03-17-2016 06:19 PM

One of the fluorescent bulbs in my half of the office -- one directly over my desk, in fact -- appears to be dying. It was flickering and pulsating so spastically this morning that I ended up wearing sunglasses to cut the glare. I've submitted the issue to the guy in charge of building maintenance...of course, the light panel directly in front of my supervisor's office has been burned out for over a month, so things aren't looking very hopeful.