Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stupid Republican idea of the day (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=511831)

Squink 07-17-2009 11:07 AM

Titties at GOP.com

RNC pulls game selling offensive items
Quote:

A Republican National Committee online game that challenges players to spend trillions of dollars was taken down today after reports that it offered some objectionable items for sale – including sexually explicit, anti-Semitic and anti-Latino items.
Searching for something for your Jewish grandmother? Type in the word “Jew” and you’ll find the book “The Jews and Their Lies” for sale right next to “Cool Jew: The Ultimate Guide for Every Member of the Tribe.”

Interested in reading about Latinos? A search on the website turns up “The Latino Threat” or, for something less ominous, “Latino Talent.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz0LX8Ohzuc
RNC spokeswoman Gail Gitcho said the website pulls its inventory from Amazon.com, but developers didn’t realize that Amazon stocked potentially offensive items.

Ichini Sanshigo 07-17-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squink (Post 11349878)

Seriously? Okay, no way is this genuine. Someone has got to be trolling the RNC from the inside.

Really Not All That Bright 07-17-2009 11:25 AM

So that's why they had all those gay book titles pulled from Amazon listings.

jayjay 07-17-2009 11:33 AM

He is, unfortunately, one of ours, but I think Zell Miller's philosophy is closer to the Republicans, so...

Obama Needs "Gorilla Glue" Says Zell Miller

Quote:

Former U.S. Sen. Zell Miller criticized President Barack Obama's recent travels overseas, telling a group of mostly Republican lawmakers Thursday that the White House Chief of Staff needs to put "Gorilla Glue" on Obama's chair to keep him in the Oval Office.

"Our globe-trotting president needs to stop and take a break and quit gallivanting around," said Miller, a Democrat well known for zinging his own party.
I'm one of the few over on Daily Kos who apparently aren't seeing this as a racist thing, even if it is, regardless, stupid. Gorilla Glue is a brand name of a fairly popular and reputedly very strong glue. I don't necessarily think it's a racist dogwhistle. Also, "globetrotting" meant something before the exhibition basketball team was organized. It doesn't necessarily refer to the Harlem Globetrotters.

However, I'm very much in the minority over at DKos. Does this senile rant by Miller necessarily HAVE to be interpreted racially?

Really Not All That Bright 07-17-2009 11:48 AM

We are talking about the same Zell Miller who was Lester Maddox' lieutenant governor, right?

EddyTeddyFreddy 07-17-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayjay (Post 11349985)
However, I'm very much in the minority over at DKos. Does this senile rant by Miller necessarily HAVE to be interpreted racially?

Yup. Anyone in this day and age who doesn't see why those terms would be racially offensive is so willfully blind as to be by default a racist. I very much doubt that ol' Zell, given his age and background, is anything but a fossilized relic of a time when such thoughts were mainstream and just fine.

jayjay 07-17-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy (Post 11350071)
Yup. Anyone in this day and age who doesn't see why those terms would be racially offensive is so willfully blind as to be by default a racist. I very much doubt that ol' Zell, given his age and background, is anything but a fossilized relic of a time when such thoughts were mainstream and just fine.

Really? Do you really think that I am, by default, a racist because I can see that both of those terms have legitimate and arguably overwhelming utility outside of a racist context? You know me, at least my board persona, ETF...do I sound like a racist in any normal context?

Bosstone 07-17-2009 11:59 AM

I can see how it might be taken as racist, as I would have just used superglue in that context instead of a brand name, but I don't think it necessarily is.

Frostillicus 07-17-2009 12:01 PM

Another day, another asshat Republican Congressman. This one actually argued that President Obama's mother would have probably aborted him if only abortions were paid for by the US government.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/07/17/...bortion-obama/

I don't know which is more offensive: That statement or the later one that talked about the brilliant mind of Clarence Thomas.

Really Not All That Bright 07-17-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Miller is a bit confusing. He was a wholehearted segregationist in the sixties, but has spoken against segregation and Jim Crow many times since.

Diogenes the Cynic 07-17-2009 12:04 PM

I don't think we should assume any racist intent in the Zell Miller remarks. I never even would have made the connection between "globe-trotting," and the Harlem Globetrotters if I hadn't seen anyone else do it, and I give him the benefit of the doubt on "gorilla glue." I don't like it when Republicans selectively misinterpret things as being intentionally offensive ( remember "lipstick on a pig?"), and it's just as bad for liberals to do it.

Let's not be so niggardly about giving others the benefit of the doubt. That exposes a big chink in our armor. Lets clean it up, and make that armor spic and span. I'm going to go eat some crackers.

Really Not All That Bright 07-17-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frostillicus (Post 11350132)
Another day, another asshat Republican Congressman. This one actually argued that President Obama's mother would have probably aborted him if only abortions were paid for by the US government.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/07/17/...bortion-obama/

I don't know which is more offensive: That statement or the later one that talked about the brilliant mind of Clarence Thomas.

Holy shit.

EddyTeddyFreddy 07-17-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayjay (Post 11350097)
Really? Do you really think that I am, by default, a racist because I can see that both of those terms have legitimate and arguably overwhelming utility outside of a racist context? You know me, at least my board persona, ETF...do I sound like a racist in any normal context?

No, you're not, from what I know of you. And I wouldn't expect you ever to use those terms the way Miller did, precisely because you're not a racist. Although you can see the nonracist usage of those words, you're sufficiently aware of their racist connotations in the pertinent context that you would never have employed them the way Zell did.

From what I know of Zell Miller, for damn sure he is. Although I'll give him the "globetrotting" -- I agree that it's a silly stretch to call that racist. The "Gorilla Glue", though -- nope, that doesn't pass the sniff test.

Captain Carrot 07-17-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic (Post 11350145)
I don't like it when Republicans selectively misinterpret things as being intentionally offensive ( remember "lipstick on a pig?"), and it's just as bad for liberals to do it.

The funny thing is, if you analyze the metaphor, Obama was calling Palin the lipstick on the pig of McCain's campaign. It's almost a compliment, if you squint.

bup 07-17-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Carrot (Post 11350247)
The funny thing is, if you analyze the metaphor, Obama was calling Palin the lipstick on the pig of McCain's campaign. It's almost a compliment, if you squint.

I think "lipstick on a pig" referred to some part of Hil's campaign.

I don't think "Gorilla Glue" was racist, and it never even occurred to me about "globetrotting."

Check back when Zell talks about Obama skizzin' like fried chicken in a skillet cause the new saggin' deuces done come out.

jayjay 07-17-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bup (Post 11350318)
I think "lipstick on a pig" referred to some part of Hil's campaign.

No, that was definitely a jab at Palin (although, as has been pointed out, she WAS the lipstick and the Republican Party was the pig) because the McCain campaign was the one doing the squealing afterward.

Defensive Indifference 07-17-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayjay (Post 11349985)

Add me to the chorus who don't see this as a racist remark. The "globe trotting" link is pretty weak. And Gorilla Glue is a popular, super-duper strength glue with a cool name. Zell Miller may be a nut, but I don't think this is a dogwhistle. Kind of a dumb statement on its own terms, though.

E-Sabbath 07-17-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosstone (Post 11350113)
I can see how it might be taken as racist, as I would have just used superglue in that context instead of a brand name, but I don't think it necessarily is.

Superglue doesn't hold large things like Gorilla Glue does. Gorilla Glue has more body. It's like Elmer's, but strong. Think 'Glue. Strong stuff.' from the Blues Brothers. (Second Blues Brothers quote today! Woo!) I'm voting Zell as a moron, not a racist insofar as this.

DSYoungEsq 07-17-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Bullshit. Given that "globetrotting" is a quite often used descriptor for the sort of out-of-country diplomatic work the President is doing, using that descriptor cannot possibly be seen as intentionally racist by anyone other than someone who always casts things in terms of race, regardless of context.

And Gorilla Glue is also a well-known adhesive so jumping to the conclusion that Zell meant to imply the President is a "gorilla", specifically to make a disparaging reference to his putative "race," is more of the same. Gets quite tiring after a while.

DSYoungEsq 07-17-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic (Post 11350145)
Let's not be so niggardly about giving others the benefit of the doubt. That exposes a big chink in our armor. Lets clean it up, and make that armor spic and span. I'm going to go eat some crackers.

:D Priceless!!!

Voyager 07-17-2009 03:25 PM

Not racist at all. There is an offensive simian term, but it isn't gorilla, which implies strength.

And globe trotting clearly preceded the Harlem Globetrotters, so that isn't racist either.
Someone should tell the offended ones that they should stop acting lik the Republican stereotype of an easy to offend liberal. Sometimes Gorilla Glue is just Gorilla Glue.

C3 07-17-2009 05:03 PM

No need to waste time arguing about Zell Miller...plenty of non-debatable racists to discuss. When will people learn that this just is not acceptable. On the other hand, maybe it's better to be aware of the proclivities of our politicians.

stolichnaya 07-20-2009 09:24 AM

This "gorilla glue" think is nothing to really get excited about, but Zel Miller was fully aware of the ways in which his carefully composed laugh line could be interpreted. He is a veteran of a thirty-plus year political career.

This is actually a pretty clever move by Zell. Get his name out for a few days, make the winking point to his shadow constituency, and most importantly, take his lumps from the "leftist" media and spur conversation about out-of-control PC. The trifecta. But this thread is for stupid GOP moves, so it doesn't really fit. Zell is stupid like a fox.

kaylasdad99 07-20-2009 09:51 AM

And apparently fox-like enough to not actually be in the GOP.

stolichnaya 07-20-2009 09:54 AM

True dat. This guy is a genius.

Captain Carrot 07-20-2009 10:08 AM

Given that he wrote A National Party No More a few years ago, I don't think he's very smart at all.

stolichnaya 07-20-2009 11:38 AM

You can be smart and wrong. Or you can be smart in terms of dealing with the press, but dumb in terms of making predictions. Or you could be smart and also cynical enough to know that there are a lot of people who will buy a book by a Democrat predicting the demise of the Democratic party.

Zell is not dumb, I don't think. Just wrong.

Merijeek 07-20-2009 04:25 PM

Oh lawdy, lawdy, I'm sure grateful I live in the Bible Belt!

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem...enate_seat.php

Ol Chip's office was right down the road from mine. He was my congressman. >sniff<.

Time for a fun fact.

I worked with a guy named Adam. Adam was a member of the loony fundie church featured in the movie "Borat". So was Chip Pickering. He was even in the movie.

At what point do these assholes lose their "I know what Jesus thinks so you should vote for me" cred?

-Joe

stolichnaya 07-20-2009 04:50 PM

That guy looks like a real-life Terry Gilliam animation.

Miller 07-20-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy (Post 11350168)
The "Gorilla Glue", though -- nope, that doesn't pass the sniff test.

Well, that's probably for the best. Sniffing glue isn't good for you.

Squink 07-20-2009 05:43 PM

Technically, this is more of a "stupid things Republicans do every day instead of something dumb they did just today, but I figure, what the hell:

Teen pregnancy and disease rates rose sharply during Bush years, agency finds
Quote:

In a report that will surprise few of Bush's critics on the issue, the Centres for Disease Control says years of falling rates of teenage pregnancies and sexually transmitted disease infections under previous administrations were reversed or stalled in the Bush years. According to the CDC, birth rates among teenagers aged 15 or older had been in decline since 1991 but are up sharply in more than half of American states since 2005. The study also revealed that the number of teenage females with syphilis has risen by nearly half after a significant decrease while a two-decade fall in the gonorrhea infection rate is being reversed. The number of Aids cases in adolescent boys has nearly doubled.
I'm sure the pubs new "just say no to sickness" healthcare campaign will work every bit as swimmingly as their abstinence program.

Merijeek 07-20-2009 05:48 PM

Look, man, every accidental pregnancy is another warrior in the battle against commu.... Islamic extremism.

If you want to surrender, go to Russi... Iran.

-Joe

The Tooth 07-20-2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stolichnaya (Post 11359648)
That guy looks like a real-life Terry Gilliam animation.

He looks exactly like a guy who calls himself 'Chip'.

Merijeek 07-20-2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tooth (Post 11360039)
He looks exactly like a guy who calls himself 'Chip'.

Maybe a guy who calls himself "Chip" who just took a horseshoe between the eyes.

-Joe

Maus Magill 07-21-2009 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merijeek (Post 11359564)
At what point do these assholes lose their "I know what Jesus thinks so you should vote for me" cred?

-Joe

As soon as the target audience remembers that Jesus himself said you shouldn't trust people who claim to know the mind of God.

Frostillicus 07-21-2009 07:52 AM

Submitted for your consideration as today's nominee:

http://www.dailykostv.com/w/001953/

Mighty_Girl 07-21-2009 07:53 AM

But... they speak to God!

And scarier even, God speaks to them. :rolleyes:

Really Not All That Bright 07-21-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frostillicus (Post 11361280)
Submitted for your consideration as today's nominee:

http://www.dailykostv.com/w/001953/

Steele's opinion that Joe the Plumber wasn't a worthless piece of shit aside, does anyone else think he (Steele) uses immensely out of date slang?

Tonight on Lifetime, the network for women - How The GOP Got Its Groove Back.

Kobal2 07-21-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright (Post 11361357)
Steele's opinion that Joe the Plumber wasn't a worthless piece of shit aside, does anyone else think he (Steele) uses immensely out of date slang?

Word. Steele's just a jive turkey, dig ?

Oy! 07-21-2009 10:33 AM

What I like is that Steele seems to think that it took Joe the Plumber to remind the Republican politicians that the thing that will always work on their base is to complain/warn/scare/scream about taxes. Personally, I have never known any Republican to lose sight of that eternal principal.

Ca3799 07-21-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oy! (Post 11361783)
What I like is that Steele seems to think that it took Joe the Plumber to remind the Republican politicians that the thing that will always work on their base is to complain/warn/scare/scream about taxes. Personally, I have never known any Republican to lose sight of that eternal principal.

Did you hear this clip of Glenn Beck sreeching? LOL!
http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200907150016

Oy! 07-21-2009 10:56 AM

Well, Beck is the man who agreed that this country needs a good Bin Laden attack to save it.

holmes 07-21-2009 03:46 PM

Another Steel moment: The guy doesn't know who his health care provider is. It must be nice.

How far out of touch can this guy be?

Really Not All That Bright 07-21-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holmes (Post 11363158)
Another Steel moment: The guy doesn't know who his health care provider is. It must be nice.

That's a bit much. I don't have a primary care physician, and while I know who my insurer is I know plenty of people who don't.

Diogenes the Cynic 07-21-2009 04:22 PM

How can they not know? That's the first thing they ask when you go to a doctor. It's also on the card.

Really Not All That Bright 07-21-2009 04:25 PM

Well, there are about 40 BCBS-related entities, and if I hadn't worked in the healthcare field I might be a bit leery about throwing out a name which might or might not actually exist.

holmes 07-21-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright (Post 11363340)
Well, there are about 40 BCBS-related entities, and if I hadn't worked in the healthcare field I might be a bit leery about throwing out a name which might or might not actually exist.

Right, but I bet if you had to deal with your provider directly you would know.

And not knowing is ok, if you're an average guy, not the head of a party that's doing all it can to criticize the administration's plan.

He doesn't know because he doesn't need to know, other people take care of it. He doesn't have to worry about deductables or being denied treatment or using the ER has his primary "insurance".

That's the thing that bugged me; this country is having a huge discussion concerning health care. You would think that any politcian who is making hay out of either supporting or rejecting it, would have enough intellectual interest to look at his own plan and become informed about it; if just to be able to speak to people in terms they can relate to.

He just didn't care, because as one the hosts noted, he was one of the "haves", the details don't matter as it was just on tap for him and that makes him out of touch in my opinion.

kaylasdad99 07-21-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright (Post 11361357)

Shouldn't that be Pro-Lifetime? or Right-to-Lifetime? or Culture-of-Lifetime?

Ca3799 07-21-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holmes (Post 11363158)

GOP'ers all over the country are reaching for their wallets tonight so they don't get stumped on this question next.. LOL

Merijeek 07-21-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ca3799 (Post 11363990)
GOP'ers all over the country are reaching for their wallets tonight so they don't get stumped on this question next.. LOL

But with Democrats running things will they assume the wallet is empty, or will they look and be shocked to discover that there is still money in it?

-Joe