View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
I've met Aborigines who have told me that they are full-blooded, and I see no reason to doubt them. All I've seen from you is a propensity to argue on the internet, so I'm just going to say this: I read what you wrote, I disagree, and I'm leaving it there.
Well, if you have a second hand anecdote from a party with a personal stake, that's completely different. Clearly there is no need for any other evidence. When science and logic contradict baseless anecdote, clearly we should believe the anecdote

Originally Posted by Colophon
But how would they possibly know if their great-great-great-great-grandmother was one-sixteenth Malayan?
Never mind that. Literacy rates among "full blooded" aborigines just 60 years ago were less than 10%, and most births were undocumented because Aborigines weren't included in any census.

So it would be extraordinary if anyone could even positively identify 8 Aboriginal Great Grandparents, let alone be sure of their ancestry beyond that point.

We aren't talking Great-great-great-great-grandparents here. I am highly skeptical that anyone even knows the name of more than half their Aboriginal great grandparents, and that's assuming a 20 year generation span.