View Single Post
Old 03-25-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post

A good response would have been to not expect you're owed sex in the first place. There's always a right to say no, even after you've wined and dined the person you're interested in. Again, this is not an optional idea.

And again, this is part of the problem: you don't get to experiment with other people's lives; you don't get to treat them as objects of study. You get to treat them as persons, and that's it.
I have just snipped out the part where you responded to me. Your "response" isn't one. Leave out expectations or hopes for a minute. We are talking and i say, hey why don't you pick up wine and dinner amd come over to my place? After you get the food, i then say great but yeah. ...you can't come over because there's another guy on the way. How do you respond? Do you hand over the food, shrug and say have fun? Do you get annoyed? Do you offer to go buy dessert, too? How would you respond?

Of course she had a right to say no - and Feynman didn't force her. He said unkind words to her. As a woman reading that passage, i thought well, that was kind of a dick move to a bitch move. Then the fact that he acknowledged that it worked but he didn't enjoy it caught my eye. The lesson i took from it is sometimes being a dick works - but is it worth being a dick? He apparently felt it wasn't worth it. Someone else might have taken the lesson as "being a dick works" full stop.

And Feynman seemed to treat himself as an object of study. Sociological and psychological studies look at how people interact all the time. He changed his style of interaction to see what would happen. I can't be peeved at the idea that someone was trying to figure out the world he lived in. Is it an admirable trait? No, not really. But it seems he learned something about himself in the process (hey turns out i don't like being a dick. )